Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Family car - Volvo XC90

Lars997:

The SQ7 would be from the paper facts my first choice. The problem is, that we don't like the Q7 look at all. This car was disqualified even ahead of test driving.

My wife says he Q7 looks boring but I think this is exactly the point of this car, to offer luxury and performance without looking like a massive SUV. I guess your wife was mostly behind this? Smiley

Have you tried a RS6? My wife says it is huge and she usually hates station wagons but she liked the RS6 more than I thought. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

bluelines:
    Lars997:

Guys - many thanks for all your feedbacks. It is amazing, I thought you will bash me for coming up with a Volvo. On the other hand - as the thread ended in serious boobs and cars pictures I guess I'm on the right way 

Lars, please focus on the vehicle and the road when you test drive it. The XC90 is a proven babe magnet. Do not fantasise over all the amazing boobs it will bring once you own it. Please have patience and stay safe.

Smiley

HAHA.... come on.... I have a right to own my fantasies  SmileySmiley

RC:
    Lars997:

The SQ7 would be from the paper facts my first choice. The problem is, that we don't like the Q7 look at all. This car was disqualified even ahead of test driving.

My wife says he Q7 looks boring but I think this is exactly the point of this car, to offer luxury and performance without looking like a massive SUV. I guess your wife was mostly behind this? Smiley

Have you tried a RS6? My wife says it is huge and she usually hates station wagons but she liked the RS6 more than I thought. 

What is the point of a station wagon. If you are used to a high SUV you will never want to go down anymore. And this is the problem of the Q7 - it looks like a station wagon.

The problem with the SQ7 is that unless you want an all black, semi-sporty interior you're SOL. The Volvo is much brighter and elegant inside. 

Depends what you're going for but IMHO the full size RR and the Volvo are the only SUV's with an elegance to them. I guess you can add the Betangya to that now as well. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Lars997:
    RC:
    Lars997:

What is the point of a station wagon. If you are used to a high SUV you will never want to go down anymore. And this is the problem of the Q7 - it looks like a station wagon.

Maybe when the RS Q7 shows up? Smiley I love SUVs as well but right now, it is really difficult to choose.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Mithras:

The problem with the SQ7 is that unless you want an all black, semi-sporty interior you're SOL. The Volvo is much brighter and elegant inside. 

Depends what you're going for but IMHO the full size RR and the Volvo are the only SUV's with an elegance to them. I guess you can add the Betangya to that now as well. 

I'm not a big fan of the Bentayga but my 12-year old son loves it. We saw a white one at my Audi dealer in Munich when I had my first R8 test-drive. It looks much better in person but I still think that the design is lacking. It is a very impressive looking car though, it has presence, no doubt about it.

The Volvo XC90 looks modern, stylish and actually I would call it one of the most attractive modern SUVs on the market. I just don't like the engine choices and while I like the digital speedo cluster and that "tablet" in the middle, the interior isn't exactly very good looking in my opinion. I like the Cayenne interior much more and the new Panamera interior is even more beautiful.

So with a nice sounding V8 Turbo and 500 hp, maybe even combined with some sort of hybrid tech and a nicer interior, the XC90 could be a very nice alternative. Right now, I think it is just a very good  looking SUV but nothing more. The only highlight seems to be the looks and this is just not enough for me.

--

RC:
    Mithras:

I'm not a big fan of the Bentayga but my 12-year old son loves it. We saw a white one at my Audi dealer in Munich when I had my first R8 test-drive. It looks much better in person but I still think that the design is lacking. It is a very impressive looking car though, it has presence, no doubt about it.

The Volvo XC90 looks modern, stylish and actually I would call it one of the most attractive modern SUVs on the market. I just don't like the engine choices and while I like the digital speedo cluster and that "tablet" in the middle, the interior isn't exactly very good looking in my opinion. I like the Cayenne interior much more and the new Panamera interior is even more beautiful.

So with a nice sounding V8 Turbo and 500 hp, maybe even combined with some sort of hybrid tech and a nicer interior, the XC90 could be a very nice alternative. Right now, I think it is just a very good  looking SUV but nothing more. The only highlight seems to be the looks and this is just not enough for me.

If you don't think the XC90 interior if nice enough you obviously haven't seen the interior of the Excellence trim line. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

I've seen it but I'm not a big fan of elegant, I am more into sporty and modern. Maybe the reason I wasn't too fond of that Bentayga I saw. 

Oh, forgot to mention: I saw a Jaguar F-Pace yesterday and it is bigger (from the outside) than I thought initially. Maybe another SUV to consider? yes

--

Lars997:

Guys,

don't hit me but I have another family van option in my head. As you know we are thinking about a Tesla but the non-fold-able last seat row is kind a no-go. 

Actually my Mercedes dealer told me that Volvo makes currently the biggest competition. I never thought about it but after he said this I went straight to the dealer and checked the car.

It looks gorgeous and it comes with a 400HP Hybrid - BUT, it is based on a 2liter 4-cylinder which produces 320HP. The car runs excellent, very smooth, quiet, fast. Consumption on the high-way is rather high (13 liter) as the hybrid is not supporting after 130 km/h. They also have a Diesel, but this only produces 235HP, also based on 2 liter 4-cylinder. Even this car feels much stronger than the 235HP, it has a compressor which kicks the Turbo to avoid any gap. This works quiet impressively. Car feels light and fast (I know, the numbers are telling different, but it feels really fast). My problem - It is less the feel of having a small 4 cylinder, than knowing about. My brain just tells me that I should not drive such a small engine, neither as Diesel nor as Hybrid. Smiley.

The leather, the appliances, the cockpit (almost like Audi, map in the cockpit) are top-notch. The assistants are excellent. The tablet acts like a iPad. Shortly said - it feels like a mix between a Tesla and a Mercedes GLS. The car interior and exterior is up to my taste. But the engine options kind of suck, even though, they feel right while driving. Check yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAwciYcOA8k

So - what would you guys suggest?

Hi Lars,

I think it is an excellent choice. I like both the interior and exterior design of the car. The dashboard looks and feels top quality especially with learher dash option and light brown wood. I liked everything about the car evenif I'm a germancar fan. Also it has the most room for the 3rd row seat and it is a real 7 seater. If I were to buy an SUV, it would be my choice.

We have too much tax on cars in Turkey, so I don't have luxury of complaining of a 2.0 liter engine, though. 

--

ONUR

458 italia smiley

bluelines:
    Lars997:

Guys - many thanks for all your feedbacks. It is amazing, I thought you will bash me for coming up with a Volvo. On the other hand - as the thread ended in serious boobs and cars pictures I guess I'm on the right way 

Lars, please focus on the vehicle and the road when you test drive it. The XC90 is a proven babe magnet. Do not fantasise over all the amazing boobs it will bring once you own it. Please have patience and stay safe.

Smiley

I'm off to my Volvo dealer to see what the trade in would be for an XC-90. The magnetism you talk about doesn't work with a V40 sadly. Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 R Design daily drive

dreamcar:
    bluelines:
    Lars997:

Smiley

I'm off to my Volvo dealer to see what the trade in would be for an XC-90. The magnetism you talk about doesn't work with a V40 sadly. Smiley
    --

Last time I was in Germany, I rented a V40 D2 and surprisingly like the car. I didn't like the old interior design language of Volvo (ie dash, mid. Consule, material quality), but weighting of the clutch/steering wheel and shifter were nicely done and the virtual cocpit was also good.

--

ONUR

458 italia smiley

I had a Volvo XC60 rental car in Spain once (or twice?) a couple of years ago and why I was positively surprised (expected a much worse quality and drive feel), I liked the Audi Q5 we had afterwards much more. This was the only time I drove a Volvo. Checked out the new XC90 with a friend who wanted this car for his son and his daughter-in-law (she was awaiting a baby at that time) and liked the car a lot but I don't know how good the quality is since Geely (Chinese company) took over.

--

RC:

I had a Volvo XC60 rental car in Spain once (or twice?) a couple of years ago and why I was positively surprised (expected a much worse quality and drive feel), I liked the Audi Q5 we had afterwards much more. This was the only time I drove a Volvo. Checked out the new XC90 with a friend who wanted this car for his son and his daughter-in-law (she was awaiting a baby at that time) and liked the car a lot but I don't know how good the quality is since Geely (Chinese company) took over.

Based on my experience with the V40 I'd say as good as a Golf, far better than the equivalent Ford, GM etc certainly in terms of fit, finish, "feel" and solidity. Probably not quite (yet) but very close to BMW. Not  up to Audi interior quality though. 

--

RC:
    Lars997:

My wife never liked the Q7 ........ until she drove it ( and compared the drive  to the GLE and RRS )  . Once she sat in it and drove it, it became instantly her favorite . 

But for a family of 3 it is rather big .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    RC:
    Lars997:

My wife never liked the Q7 ........ until she drove it ( and compared the drive  to the GLE and RRS )  . Once she sat in it and drove it, it became instantly her favorite . 

Yesterday at the Polo event there was a SQ7. Looked better than the average Q7. What should I say - I asked my wife to even look at it, but she declined. So... that's it for the Audi!

Other than that, I was driving the Levante with the V8. The car is impressively quiet, very smooth. The engine sound is amazing, but kind of overdone with all its artificial down-shift noises, etc. Anyway - great engine, beautiful smooth car. However - the SRT feels much faster and stronger. Also - the Levante is quiet good with the price (if you believe or not, it is even less expensive than an equal equipped Volvo) - the Levante miss one key value and this is space. The trunk is very small and for the Family van this is a key attribute. Also - I think it is to much "a statement" to drive a Maserati here in Germany. As I will take my car to clients I want to avoid to park around the corner before going there. So, the Levante is out, too. 

You can't do more. Most important is .... a happy  wife indecision 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

There is no Levante with V8 right now...you drove the bi-turbo charged V6 with 430 hp, which of course feels less powerful than the SRT...because it is less powerful. Also, the 6.4 l SRT n/a engine offers more torque than the turbo charged Levante V6.

--

You are losing the battle Lars - admit defeat gracefully and join the happy band of Volvo drivers Smiley

--

Gnil:

So how do I get my wife to drive the Q7? Smiley She is so stubborn, she won't even try it. 

You can't imagine what kind of persuading it took me to convince my wife to only take a look at that RS6 I test-drove. Should have seen her face when she saw the car for the very first time...until she took a closer look and also saw the interior. One of her girl friend's husband has a 3 series station wagon and there is no car she hates more (oh well, maybe the Smart... Smiley). She thought the RS6 is the same thing but when she saw the interior, heard the engine sound, saw the quality and even noticed the ceramic brakes, she changed her mind.

Q7? She wouldn't even look at it, I tried. Now I am hoping for a RS6 as a family car when her Macan lease runs out but maybe she likes the new Cayenne as well, so... Smiley

--

Hi RC - you must be right with that V6. But hey, that dealer told me about the fantastic Ferrari V8 engine which I will enjoy at the test ride. It sounded like any other Ferrari, so I was sure it has it. But the power was really missing, so now I know why? And actually after all I think it was the same artificial sound system like in the Audi Diesel. I could bang my head that he could fool me like that! mail

Regarding wife - happy wife, easy life!

Lars997:

Hi RC - you must be right with that V6. But hey, that dealer told me about the fantastic Ferrari V8 engine which I will enjoy at the test ride. It sounded like any other Ferrari, so I was sure it has it. But the power was really missing, so now I know why? And actually after all I think it was the same artificial sound system like in the Audi Diesel. I could bang my head that he could fool me like that! mail

Regarding wife - happy wife, easy life!

Don't tell me... Smiley Smiley

--

dreamcar:

You are losing the battle Lars - admit defeat gracefully and join the happy band of Volvo drivers Smiley

Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Well, mine's a bit crap but each to their own!

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

Smileybridggar:

Well, mine's a bit crap but each to their own!

You thought your first 991 was crap as I recall Smiley

--

bluelines:
    dreamcar:

Smiley

Yeap - it seems like. I will go this week to my dealer and if everything is smooth I will order that Swedish car. Never thought that the impact of getting older is that intense SmileySmiley

Lars997:
    bluelines:
    dreamcar:

Smiley

Yeap - it seems like. I will go this week to my dealer and if everything is smooth I will order that Swedish car. Never thought that the impact of getting older is that intense SmileySmiley

Soon you will be listening to Swedish schlager music and eating meatballs too. It is game over buddy Smiley

--

bluelines:
    Lars997:
    bluelines:
    dreamcar:

Smiley

Soon you will be listening to Swedish schlager music and eating meatballs too. It is game over buddy Smiley

Does IKEA have a rocking chair in its catalogue?  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    bluelines:
    Lars997:
    bluelines:
    dreamcar:

Smiley

Does IKEA have a rocking chair in its catalogue?  Smiley

Yes. Delivered in a duo pack with reading glasses.

--

They did, but it was recalled due to a danger of tipping over.

apias:

They did, but it was recalled due to a danger of tipping over.

Only because some customers didn't use the metal brackets supplied with the chair so it could be firmly screwed to the floor.   Smiley

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762568 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435434 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260535 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257596 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80958 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872351 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807715 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM