Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Supercar & Hypercar Market Update - Jan 2021

Just posted a new blog on the Supercar Market as of Jan 2021

The Hypercar bubble looks to be dead and gone.

https://karenable.com/supercar-hypercar-market-update-january-2021/

Comments?

Suggestions on what will be great buys in 2021?

Re: Supercar & Hypercar Market Update - Jan 2021

I agree with the main thrust of your blog. Sensibly priced high quality cars at all ends of the market are finding a very liquid market. However, there are still a lot of owners out there who are just not prepared to accept the new reality. Especially those that overpaid in 2016 to 2018. Particularly  2.7RS owners I find SmileySmiley.

Interesting that you mention the 275 GTB as I have been looking for a 4 cam of late. I don't think the really good ones (  long nose and short nose, not 4 cam) will go down to $1.5M. The one at Gooding and Co just sold for $1.9M  https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1966-ferrari-275-gtb-long-nose/ .

When these cars will sit back to where they were at the beginning of last decade, it will be reasonable again.

I agree with you on the immediate cash return when flipping a new car; it is finally gone but also looking at what manufacturers released recently, it may explain it as well. Let's see this year when Porsche will release hot GT cars; it will be the gauge.

Current second hand market is flooded with everything and I can't see much moving. yes wait and see.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

A friend of mine visited a few dealers in Dubai recently and he said that what he saw was amazing, they had basically anything a car lover could wish for and they were trying to move these cars, even the ones with (supposedly) high demand. Prices definitely came under pressure but I guess the Dubai car market is different anyway.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

crayphile:

I agree with the main thrust of your blog. Sensibly priced high quality cars at all ends of the market are finding a very liquid market. However, there are still a lot of owners out there who are just not prepared to accept the new reality. Especially those that overpaid in 2016 to 2018. Particularly  2.7RS owners I find SmileySmiley.

Interesting that you mention the 275 GTB as I have been looking for a 4 cam of late. I don't think the really good ones (  long nose and short nose, not 4 cam) will go down to $1.5M. The one at Gooding and Co just sold for $1.9M  https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1966-ferrari-275-gtb-long-nose/ .

The really great 275GTBs might not drop that far but I do think early long noses that would qualify as nice drivers likely will.

the-missile:

When these cars will sit back to where they were at the beginning of last decade, it will be reasonable again.

I agree with you on the immediate cash return when flipping a new car; it is finally gone but also looking at what manufacturers released recently, it may explain it as well. Let's see this year when Porsche will release hot GT cars; it will be the gauge.

Current second hand market is flooded with everything and I can't see much moving. yes wait and see.

Agree with your comment not he secondary market, I just had a friend reach out to say he's been offered a few Hyuara's recently, all near delivery mileage for under MSRP.

the-missile:

Ah, no problemo.... just wait till the rocket scientist traders on my Reddit forums get a smell of the huuuugggge gains to be made in flipping sports cars!  You will never see such stratospheric price levels!   The big capitalist auction houses will get totally crushed man!  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

indecision

4trac:
    the-missile:

Ah, no problemo.... just wait till the rocket scientist traders on my Reddit forums get a smell of the huuuugggge gains to be made in flipping sports cars!  You will never see such stratospheric price levels!   The big capitalist auction houses will get totally crushed man!  

Hold for a minute.  We need to agree what models to prime them on and give ourselves enough time to buy up a bunch of them.....

SSO.:
    4trac:
    the-missile:

Hold for a minute.  We need to agree what models to prime them on and give ourselves enough time to buy up a bunch of them.....

Haha, maybe tell them that Trabant cars were East German equivalents to Porsche... totally overlooked by markets controlled by capitalism.... Smiley

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

Can't wait to see millions of gamers in a auction house indecision

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

4trac:

Someone feeling threatened? Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

4trac:
    SSO.:
    4trac:
    the-missile:

Haha, maybe tell them that Trabant cars were East German equivalents to Porsche... totally overlooked by markets controlled by capitalism.... Smiley

I like that, lets tee up Trabis and Yugos.

What are you expecting regarding AML earnings end of the month? Significant results for the DBX? Stock seems to be anticipating good news... 

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

new experienced sales rep started recently smiley

Porker:

What are you expecting regarding AML earnings end of the month? Significant results for the DBX? Stock seems to be anticipating good news... 

Lots and lots of spin......Numbers should look ok given they are lapping a really bad Q4 2019.

New NSX sales are dismal.....

21jan_sales.gif

--

2015 Jet Black TT

wow it that horrible

That is absurd angel

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

Wow that is very bad. I haven't driven an Acura in a long time but all the new models at least look well designed. 

Problem with the new NSX is that it is too expensive. Why am I paying Italian/German money for a Japanese car?

I looked at one when they first came out. Didn't do it. Not even with giant discount from the dealer.

Now I look at the second hand ones, still too expensive. Still didn't do it.

--

Owned 5 of the 1st Gen cars ('94, '97, '99, '01,'05) including this 1999 Zanardi #17 of 50. At the time Comptech and Acura teamed up with factory authorized dealer installed accessories. Mine had intake, headers, exhaust  and super charger. This car was equiv to a JDM type S without the mods. In it's day it was a great car. Today they bring big $$$

The new car is just too expensive....like Whoopsy said- even used ones.

1612377792007Scan.jpeg

--

2015 Jet Black TT

NSXER:

Owned 5 of the 1st Gen cars ('94, '97, '99, '01,'05) including this 1999 Zanardi #17 of 50. At the time Comptech and Acura teamed up with factory authorized dealer installed accessories. Mine had intake, headers, exhaust  and super charger. This car was equiv to a JDM type S without the mods. In it's day it was a great car. Today they bring big $$$

The new car is just too expensive....like Whoopsy said- even used ones.

Smiley. Some things are just too hard to follow up.

Nick, I think you summoned it up pretty well. Smiley

Honda could have sold tons of these nice cars for a lower price, it would have opened a door for new sports car models but I'm not even sure they wanted this, judging by the effort they made. Smiley Smiley

--

FWIW.....To keep employees working at the new PMC NSX factory in Ohio (originally built to make the new NSX only - Performance Manufacturing Center) techs are hand assembling special edition MDX & RDX Suv's + some of the new TLX type S.... marketing them as super special and pricing them to reflect ha ha.

--

2015 Jet Black TT

RC:

Nick, I think you summoned it up pretty well. Smiley

Honda could have sold tons of these nice cars for a lower price, it would have opened a door for new sports car models but I'm not even sure they wanted this, judging by the effort they made. Smiley Smiley

Honda misjudged the pricing power of their brand. 

But then again they priced it with a low volume in mind and so everything cost more.

Optioned new NSXs are around a optioned 911 turbo S money, why would someone pay that for a Honda instead of a Porsche?

Normal dealer discount cut that down to 911 turbo money, again, same question.

In order to make it an attractive car for buyers, it needs to be around Carrera 4 money. Not even 4S, let alone GTS. But at that price level, Honda would be losing money as the advance hybrid system is expensive.

--

They should have made it a hybrid on the top trim level and ICE only on the more base side, that would have pushed more units out letting them charge less. I doubt I"ve seen more than five or ten on the streets ever. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

And that's the biggest knock on the new NSX, most NSX fans don't want the hybrid system...............

--

I saw one on the streets. There is one at the local Honda garage. It has been there for the last 2 years.

The development of that car did cost a lot, lots of engineering went into the hybrid/ICE . Made the car way too expensive. They are surely using the car as a development tool for the cheaper cars. Money is not all lost.

On our market the 2nd price of the NSX is at par with a 2nd hand  Porsche 992 Carrera 4S 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Whoopsy:

Honda misjudged the pricing power of their brand. 

Exactly, didn't learn a thing from Lexus/Toyota with the LFA.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762808 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435564 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260619 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257644 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80968 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872479 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807872 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM