Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2018 Mercedes G-Class

We do bring a nanny since we refuse to use random babysitters... Clearly you do not have kids. A caring family would not have both parents fly together and separate from their kids, if your plane crashes your kids have no more parents. If they were going to the same place, they would fly all together, or the parents would fly separately. If the parents go together and the kids stay behind, it is not uncommon to have each parent fly separately. Anyhow our kids go wherever we go...

Money is all about choice. You burn $30-50k per year on a sport car, some spend it on vacations... We see plenty of families and kids in business class, more and more actually.

noone1:

Can't say I ever find time very important. I get there when I get there and everything just waits for me. If it's important that I'm there on time, I'll just get there a day early.

My priorities when flying (always commercial) is seats and fight duration. I only fly first class on 14+ hour flights. Everything else, I just get economy comfort in the exit or bulkhead row. Plenty of room in those seats and they're almost always available to me. Can't lay down, but 7 hour flights are really short to me after having flown 14+ so often, not to mention how many of them have internet. Watch a few episodes or a movie, browse the web for a few hours, eat a little bit, and then you're landing.

The addition of Internet has totally changed flying for me. It's vastly more enjoyable and quicker to pass now.

True...if it would really work OK. Lufthansa's FlyNet usually provides a 5 MBit/s connection but apparently for the entire frigging plane. Smiley Smiley I hate using internet on a plane, so I usually stick with my own (iPad) entertainment (mainly tv shows, movies, music/videos and some games, 256GB offer a lot of variety). My wife never uses her iPad in the plane Smiley and she always uses the inflight entertainment system for movies. Don't ask me why, when it comes to tech, she is pretty weird often. Smiley Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

SciFrog:

We do bring a nanny since we refuse to use random babysitters... Clearly you do not have kids. A caring family would not have both parents fly together and separate from their kids, if your plane crashes your kids have no more parents. If they were going to the same place, they would fly all together, or the parents would fly separately. If the parents go together and the kids stay behind, it is not uncommon to have each parent fly separately. Anyhow our kids go wherever we go...

Same philosophy here. No nanny though.

Money is all about choice. You burn $30-50k per year on a sport car, some spend it on vacations... We see plenty of families and kids in business class, more and more actually.

True but I just cannot see myself spending that much money on a flight which is over after a couple of hours.

We just changed our 5 days Orlando hotel reservation from a 6k USD hotel to a 2k USD one. Reason? We are there only to sleep at nights, so why spend 4k more for basically the same quality (same brand) and a bit more space?! Smiley The money we saved pays for the R8 new tires/oil exchange and the 991 GTS Cab Approved warranty extension and two year service. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Ferdie:

Awesome... and I almost though the thread is about the G-class. indecision

I agree that, traveling with the family, the Premium Economy on LH seems to be the more appropriate solution than Business. And RC, you can even carry more luggage than in Economy.

Have to agree as well that staying overnight at an airport hotel is far more relaxing than driving to the airport at 3 a.m., some of them even offer free parking for one or two weeks in their underground parking which makes it quite feasible in terms of cost.

We do always the same - I'm an early bird, but I hate to have that early morning - all family out of bed now - stress Smiley

1491160351419IMG_5099.JPGIs this the new G Class?

What the hell is that thing? Looks bizarre.

RC:
    noone1:

Can't say I ever find time very important. I get there when I get there and everything just waits for me. If it's important that I'm there on time, I'll just get there a day early.

My priorities when flying (always commercial) is seats and fight duration. I only fly first class on 14+ hour flights. Everything else, I just get economy comfort in the exit or bulkhead row. Plenty of room in those seats and they're almost always available to me. Can't lay down, but 7 hour flights are really short to me after having flown 14+ so often, not to mention how many of them have internet. Watch a few episodes or a movie, browse the web for a few hours, eat a little bit, and then you're landing.

The addition of Internet has totally changed flying for me. It's vastly more enjoyable and quicker to pass now.

True...if it would really work OK. Lufthansa's FlyNet usually provides a 5 MBit/s connection but apparently for the entire frigging plane. Smiley Smiley I hate using internet on a plane, so I usually stick with my own (iPad) entertainment (mainly tv shows, movies, music/videos and some games, 256GB offer a lot of variety). My wife never uses her iPad in the plane Smiley and she always uses the inflight entertainment system for movies. Don't ask me why, when it comes to tech, she is pretty weird often. Smiley Smiley 

You can't stream content anyway, so speed isn't much of an issue. I've played online mobile games before without issue. Sometimes it can be a bit slow, but usually it's fine for everything other than streaming video.

I don't know , looks like a Chinese G class. I'm trying to upload video but it won't 

The badge is for Ares, a tuning / design shop, not Mercedes.  I think its a shot of this concept car

http://www.ares-performance.com/ares-concepts/ares-design-concept-mercedes-benz-g63-amg/

In any case, the spy shots of the W464 are boxy just like all the rest, so the risk of a rounded Ford Explorer style front bumper on the new G is small.

backmirror is definitely mercedes

Looks like a tuner car, that engine bay is not made by a mainstream premium car brand.

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

The G loves to get its brake pads replaced every once a year or 6 months if pushed too hard (Full throttle in manual mode in every gear + hard braking) followed by the tires angry it's my first car and experience to have these wear and tear parts replaced the first year of ownership laugh

If maintenance cost is no issue for some of you in a merc car, it's a crazy and fun car to own but at a cost! Mostly for AMG cars, which they have the power to charge you whatever amount they feel like is right....because AMG   heart

Engine oil top up is reasonable (2L at 11k) compared to a Cayenne Turbo that never stops begging for more oil.

The brake pads would be the last thing I worry about on a car which costs you 1500 - 2000€ each months and  consumes 20 liter average / 100km.

So, I recently installed the Brabus Ride Control Suspension. The car has been transformed, turning into curves is so much better, steering feel is better, I feel like Im driving a much lighter car. Anyone owning a G should install it, if he is thinking of keeping the car!

Some pics of my car

https://www.autogespot.nl/mercedes-amg-g-63-2016-edition-463/2017/03/20

--

Nikolas - 11 Mini Cooper S

Very nice ride, Nikolas 👍😎

--

Why pay a Mercedes dealer to change something as simple as brake pads and fluid if it costs so much? Pretty much any shop could do that for a fraction of the price.

Thank you RC :-)

--

Nikolas - 11 Mini Cooper S

noone1:

Why pay a Mercedes dealer to change something as simple as brake pads and fluid if it costs so much? Pretty much any shop could do that for a fraction of the price.

Warranty...manufacturer goodwill within the first 3-5 years...quality...safety...I could think of a thousand reasons.

--

Manufacturer doesnt cover brake pads and even a monkey can change brake pads. If argue a cheap place that does 1000 brake per year even has more experience.

noone1:

Manufacturer doesnt cover brake pads and even a monkey can change brake pads. If argue a cheap place that does 1000 brake per year even has more experience.

I think you misunderstood my post. I don't know how it works in the US or the UK but if your car still has a warranty or if it is in the mentioned 3-5 years manufacturer goodwill period, you can not only loose the warranty but that goodwill period. Also, when you bring the car to independent shops, they often do not use OEM parts, which can be a safety issue. There is a huge free market for fake OEM parts, brake pads and rotors are a favorite for these fake parts distributors. Official dealerships buy their parts directly from the manufacturer, the risk is much much lower.

Official dealerships also always get the latest maintenance instructions and updates, independent shops usually don't.

Also, when you want to sell a car, the maintentance history is very important. I would never get a used high performance car which has been serviced by an independent shop. These shops, mostly the ones specialized on vintage cars, are good for older cars but new cars? Not really.

Another example: Service actions. I went to my Porsche dealer for switching the winter to summer wheels and there was an open service action (spark plugs, sparks) to execute. Now imagine I went to an independent tire dealer to switch the wheels. I would have never found out about that service action. Same goes to software updates and other stuff.

New(er) cars should always be serviced at the official dealerships.

--

noone1:

By that I assume you take the McLaren to Jiffy Lube or something to do oil changes?

--

Whoopsy:
    noone1:

By that I assume you take the McLaren to Jiffy Lube or something to do oil changes?

For his McLaren only the best...Pep Boys. indecision

--

Buying a recent luxury car and not going to the dealer during the warranty period seems like a very bad idea...

Whoopsy:
    noone1:

No, but mainly because exotic cars are designed such that stuff gets packed tightly and often requires removing a million things to reach something. If I could just put my McLaren on a lift, reach up and unscrew a few things and pull a plug, I'd just do it myself. In reality, there are probably a bunch of easily breakable plastic screws and fasteners holding on the flat underbody, and the procedure for measuring oil levels and such is annoying. 

On a Mercedes though, with massive clearance everywhere and fewer delicate parts? No problem. Unless the manual said something weird about changing oil, I'd jiffy lube a G class no problem. 

Best thing to do is buy your parts from a reputable place and bring them to your 3rd party mechanic.  Again, we're talking brake pads here. It's not rocket science.

Why buy new when you even want to skip on the dealer costs? How many brake pads do new cars even need? 

If you wan't to be greedy: buy secondhand and avoid official dealers, but that's not the issue on sportcar forums as this, I think yes

--

On a Cayenne TTS you will need a lot of expensive brakes and tires changes...

I can't imagine owners buying the top model Cayenne and than go to some third party for brake pads while there still is a waranty on the car....

--

I can't either, but since when are brake pads covered by warranty? Brake pads should last for years anyway.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM