Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Phone Option -- US

Any word on the phone option for the US? Any updates as to when it will be available? It was supposed to be available in January -- well it is January!

Has anyone installed bluetooth or any other handsfree device yet?

GG

Re: Phone Option -- US

I have opted to forego the expensive Porsche solution(?) and any other handsfree add-ons in favor of sticking with my current T-Mobile cell phone. It works in my Lexus with Bluetooth. I will just avoid taking/making calls in my Porsche. Lots of other things to do while driving than conversing on the phone. Maybe that won't work for some of you. Life is full of choices. These are mine.

Option 666 GSM phone module IS available for ordered cars and has been so, since Dec. $960

A Tequipment retrofit module will be coming available for cars that have the worldwide faceplate with SIM card slot and SOS button.

Early production US cars PCM did not have the SIM slot and SOS button and may be excluded from the ability to retrofit.

The biggest upside to the GSM module is that it is a unit that a has 8w of power that is much greater than what hand held devices are.
    For me it will be interesting to see if this will make a diference in phone performance as I travel across the US this March.

Trundle do you know when the retrofit should be available?

I'm using a new Verizon Motorola phone with the wireless bluetooth earpiece. It works perfectly so shifting and talking (and of course drinking, eating, shaving-ha ha, just kidding) is not a problem. I drive several different cars on a regular basis and this simplifies one cell phone in any car without doing a bunch of dedicated units for each vehicle. Has a 30' range so it works well at home or work too. It's obviously not integrated into the steering wheel like the BMW's so if you do a lot of phone work in the car, it's not ideal but for the occasional call it's fine. The phone does have voice recognition so dialing, etc is all handsfree.

Quote:
    weissy said:
    Trundle do you know when the retrofit should be available?

Tequipment P/N 997 044 900 71 should be available Feb/Mar

Ok, just to be clear. My car does not have the SOS button - it was a Sept build. You are saying that I may NOT be able to retrofit. I paid a FREAKING $96K for this car and I may NOT be able to retrofit. You must be kidding me?

GG

Posche was to offer the GSM option and a cradle option for the 997. Does anyone know when the cradle option will debut?

GG

Quote:
    GG said:
    Ok, just to be clear. My car does not have the SOS button - it was a Sept build. You are saying that I may NOT be able to retrofit. I paid a FREAKING $96K for this car and I may NOT be able to retrofit. You must be kidding me?

GG

True
    Early 997's did not come with a SIM card slot in the PCM faceplate. These vehicles MAY not be capable of receiving the Tequipment kit.
    It is still not clear at this time if this is for sure!

As far as cradle:
    Option 668 - Handset for Telephone Module $260
    Passive handset for telephone module. Handset does not have dialing capability.

Made available at the same time as the GSM Phone module
    Release date was 11/19/04

Quote:
    GG said:
    GG,

Mine, a mid-October build, neither, but from my POV Porsche doesn't deserve $960 for their stupid arsed, separate SIM, GSM integrated phone option when the rest of the world is going Bluetooth integration.

My advice: follow kkeating's example and get a phone with a Bluetooth headset. $960 will buy you the new super-sexy Motorola Razr (though only Cingular has it for now) or a Treo 650 or a Nokia 9300, or a handful of lesser models plus a state of the art Bluetooth ear piece, with plenty to spare.

GG

pnoble

Exactly!

You must have just missed out. My car was finished on the 20th of October and does have the GSM tray and SOS button.

Quote:
    KenH said:
    You must have just missed out. My car was finished on the 20th of October and does have the GSM tray and SOS button.

I think I missed out by just one week, but we are talking, in my case, a $93,000 car which had been launched just eight weeks or so prior and it was already on its second PCM facia design a week later!

The average gestation for a new car model development is at least 6-7 years, I believe. And they couldn't get their act together to include even a totally out of date cell phone implementation on time. Not to mention the TPM.

But it sure is one beautiful looking and driving car! I will refrain from making analogies to the fairer sex!!

What puzzles me is that European (and press road test) cars all seem to have had the new fascia from day 1.
    I base that on magazine pictures and on the launch cars I saw at West London Porsche (ex-AFN).
    So why did the early US cars have something different, I wonder..

The wonderful advantage for car makers, from their POV, is that they never have to have any interaction with their customers. They use their dealers as a buffer and as a shield.

I still fantasize about finding myself sitting on a plane next to an executive from BMW and giving them an earful about Bangle and why I abandoned the brand after many loyal years! Yes, they already know it, but because BMW wouldn't listen on any level at the time, had no mechanism to allow a customer to speak back, they lost a lot of very, very loyal (and wealthy) customers, and despite all the hype their sales figures reflect it.

The only feedback they seem to want from customers is the delusional bullshit they get from service follow up calls. The dealer is begging: 'you've got to tell them we were wonderful'. So you say: "They were wonderful, fives all they way".

In my business, like most, our customers can just pick up the phone and speak to us directly at any time. We don't find it annoying but an important reality check and a way to learn from, cultivate and educate our customers.

A simple FAQ on Porsche's web site would be a great start - with log in for owners only, even. (And responsive phone and e-mail contact should not be too much to ask for.)

"Why doesn't your new 997S have a SIM card slot or SOS button: we had a supplier problem for the first six weeks of production. If you want to upgrade to the phone module we will replace yours at no charge."

Simple and direct.

Because a dealer is not a substitute in today's world for getting honest, direct and unambiguous information right from the source.

It's telling that when you buy a $2 tube of toothpaste, Proctor and Gamble gives you a 24/7 toll free number to call if you have any questions or problems. They are not afraid to hear from their customers and I'm sure the feedback they get is invaluable.

You buy a $93K car and it's "speak to your dealer". My dealer actually gave me a PNA # to call when I had questions about snow tires and he simply had no answer. I called and was told, essentially, we don't know: "speak to your dealer".

So we end up on messageboards!

Pnoble,

I couldn't agree more. I must admit it frustrates me to no end that I spent $96k on a car that they said would have phone integration capability and to now learn that I may be screwed because I was an early purchaser. Unlike some people, i am accostomed to placing and receiving phone calls while driving and i think my expensive toy should be able to do this.

Don't get me wrong -- i do love the car. But, i will never buy a porsche in its first model year again and i have definitely advised my friends to wait on purchasing a 997. They love my car, but i told them if you want all the options wait a year or two to make sure porsche delivers on its promises.

GG

Quote:
    GG said:
    Pnoble,

I couldn't agree more. I must admit it frustrates me to no end that I spent $96k on a car that they said would have phone integration capability and to now learn that I may be screwed because I was an early purchaser. Unlike some people, i am accostomed to placing and receiving phone calls while driving and i think my expensive toy should be able to do this.

Don't get me wrong -- i do love the car. But, i will never buy a porsche in its first model year again and i have definitely advised my friends to wait on purchasing a 997. They love my car, but i told them if you want all the options wait a year or two to make sure porsche delivers on its promises.

GG

If you really want the option, perhaps a nicely written letter to Peter Schwarzenbauer and/or Dr. Wendelin Wiedeking might do the trick.
    You have nothing to loose...and a phone to gain

CG,

Porsche won't have it right until they provide Bluetooth integration as most other manufacturers are starting to do. From everything I have read on this board, the current GSM implementation is a joke: GSM when over 50% of the US market is CDMA, cloned SIM card issues and a fixed number regardless of the driver. If you have a GSM phone and have tried swapping SIM cards you will agree that that approach is also totally impractical.

My advice: get a nice new Bluetooth phone with a Bluetooth earpiece. It will cost you a lot less and you can take it with you. That is what I'm going to do.

It isn't a perfect solution, but my guess is that Porsche is dependent on a second tier telematics supplier and we will be waiting a long time for their Bluetooth integration which would then of course allow auto-muting, PCM display and such.

PS: Do you have snow tires on your car? I am very satisfied with its performance in wintery conditions so far.

Quote:
    pnoble said:

PS: Do you have snow tires on your car? I am very satisfied with its performance in wintery conditions so far.

Yep, i have the Pirelli Winter Sottozero. They work great. Although, they do feel a little more twitchy at the higher speeds than the standard tires.....

Has anyone done a blue tooth integration? -- i.e. with a hidden microphone and sound through the car speakers. At this point i will sacrifice any integration with the multifunction steering wheel, etc. I don't want to use the bluetooth earpiece cause it is just something else i have to remember to carry from one car to another!

If one more person asks about that keypad i'm going to rip it out.

Thanks!

If you mean the Bluetooth Handsfree kits from Nokia or Sony Ericsson, then I've done the Sony HCB30 on a BMW. Worked well answering calls, providing you spend time optimising position of the mic. BUT to dial out you need to use Voice dial which was less reliable. (you can also use the phone, but that's not handsfree). Using 3+ syllable names helps. The speaker comes with the kit, and if you use this the installation is real easy, +,- and switched +.

I see that PNA are now (at last) listing a phone option as a retrofit for 05 model 911s on their website:

Porsche Cell Solution
    The modular design of the Porsche Cell Solution does not lock users into one specific model of cell phone. The model-specific cradles allow multiple users and different phones, and allows you to change service providers. An auto-mute feature that silences the audio system during phone calls and an external antenna hookup that boosts signal strength go even further. Available 12/04. Addtional cradle required. Please see your Porsche Dealer for application.

Basic kit
    Part no. PNA 000 717

Supplemental kit (required)
    Part no. 997 044 900 76

Quote:
    KenH said:
    I see that PNA are now (at last) listing a phone option as a retrofit for 05 model 911s on their website:

Porsche Cell Solution
    The modular design of the Porsche Cell Solution does not lock users into one specific model of cell phone. The model-specific cradles allow multiple users and different phones, and allows you to change service providers. An auto-mute feature that silences the audio system during phone calls and an external antenna hookup that boosts signal strength go even further. Available 12/04. Addtional cradle required. Please see your Porsche Dealer for application.

Basic kit
    Part no. PNA 000 717

Part no. 997 044 900 76

Does anyone have a picture of the cradle system installed in their car?...possibly someone with a 996? I want to see how it looks installed.

Thanks!

Quote:
    KenH said:

Porsche Cell Solution

Basic kit
    Part no. PNA 000 717

Part no. 997 044 900 76

Just called the dealer to check out the cradle system....Unfortunately, the Supplemental Kit is not yet available for order. Go figure!

GG

Has anyone further information on the availability of the sim card retrofit on early production cars? If this option has not been made available, I would go with the blue tooth phone. Does anyone have experience with the in car blue tooth adaptor?

I installed a Motorola IHF1000 Bluetooth handsfree kit in my 997S. Seems to work fine with my Motorola V600 T-Mobile phone. The system has capability to use Voice Tags in phone or voice dialing by digit or number segments. Bought unit from Motorola website after two failed attempts from lower cost vendors on the Web. Cost is about $300.

Can someone please upload some picture with the handfree kit? thanks

Hi,

I emailed my dealer the other day and he is still trying to get an answer from PCNA........

Quote:
    DD694 said:
    I installed a Motorola IHF1000 Bluetooth handsfree kit in my 997S. Seems to work fine with my Motorola V600 T-Mobile phone. The system has capability to use Voice Tags in phone or voice dialing by digit or number segments. Bought unit from Motorola website after two failed attempts from lower cost vendors on the Web. Cost is about $300.

I installed the Motorola IHF1000 as well but had the Verizon Motorola bluetooth phone. It was horrible. I sent the phone back! The people i talked to complained about not being able to hear and the voice commands worked about 50% of the time. When i was driving at speed the voice commands worked about 25% of the time.

DD694 -- where is your microphone placed? Mine was installed in the upper left hand corner of the windshield? I assumed it was the microphone...maybe it was just the Verizon phone. I still have the IHF1000 installed and have been waiting for a better bluetooth phone to come on the market!

Between the Trim above the driver's door and the pivot point for the Visor with Mic facing me. I have very limited use of the system to date, so I can not yet comment on its effectiveness. Another poster has the same installation used with a Motorola V-3 on T-Mobile and is very satisfied with its performance. Mic is in the same location I described.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690753 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409932 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256123 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235358 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858679 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM