Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020)

throt:
    Whoopsy:
    throt:
    Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

911 turbo S are never the ultimate 'sports car', it has always been the ultimate 'all around sports car'. It has a complete 'envelope' of performance.

Dry weather performance are getting to the point where gains are incremental, no more giant gulp gains, and at the top of the food chain, they are all separate by not much margin.

But on the wet side of the equation, there are good size gains to be had with modern tire technology. Why not take advantage of that and make the car's 'envelope' more complete? 

Agreed. Actually, I think the 911 Turbo S is the best "daily driver" supercar on the market. Maybe even the only one. Smiley

But I cannot do without a 911 turbo S.

''Different'', or wrong Smiley

Porsche sells enough of them every year to justify it's existence🤷🏻‍♂️

No one else makes an all purpose car like a 911 turbo/turbo S, either those have better dry performance but with less interior space and utility, or better space and utility but handles worse. 

I thought the FF could be a replacement, awd for year round weather, bigger back seat and perhaps more cargo room, but that car simply can't handle like a 911, not to mention it's quite a bit bigger. 

I get it, totally

911 fits like a cosy glove. I could even use my GT3 as a daily so a Turbo S would definitely do the trick. Smiley

I honestly think the Turbo S will be my next car when my body succumbs to older age. Smiley Smiley

Just order sofa seats instead of buckets for your next GT3 haha

--

Smiley Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

nberry:

Isn’t a daily driving sport turbo charged car an oxymoron?yes

turbo/turbo S are very civilized. They are just as happy in stop and go traffic as in going 300km/hr own the autobahn. Very unlike say the GT2RS where the suspension is so firm that it's a daily torture on bumpy city roads. 

Also unlike the naturally aspirated GT cars where they make no torque down low and much prefer hanging out at 4k rpm and above. 

Maybe turbo/turbo S doesn't excel in one area, they are good for everything, like a pocket Swiss army knife. I could use my turbo S to drive my son to school in the morning, then go to the mountain and enjoy some nice driving roads, head back to Safeway for groceries, go to the track for some fun laps, come back and pick up son and go for dinner in downtown and get stuck in rush hour traffic and the car would not make a beep about doing all those things any day of the year rain or shine or snow. No other car can do that. Not to mention it is very good on gas mileage as it is running off boost most of the time in the city.

It literally can do 99% of the things people do every day. For that 1% of the time when I need to go to Ikea or Home Depot, I take the pickup truck.

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

turbo/turbo S are very civilized. They are just as happy in stop and go traffic as in going 300km/hr own the autobahn. Very unlike say the GT2RS where the suspension is so firm that it's a daily torture on bumpy city roads. 

Also unlike the naturally aspirated GT cars where they make no torque down low and much prefer hanging out at 4k rpm and above. 

Maybe turbo/turbo S doesn't excel in one area, they are good for everything, like a pocket Swiss army knife. I could use my turbo S to drive my son to school in the morning, then go to the mountain and enjoy some nice driving roads, head back to Safeway for groceries, go to the track for some fun laps, come back and pick up son and go for dinner in downtown and get stuck in rush hour traffic and the car would not make a beep about doing all those things any day of the year rain or shine or snow. No other car can do that. Not to mention it is very good on gas mileage as it is running off boost most of the time in the city.

It literally can do 99% of the things people do every day. For that 1% of the time when I need to go to Ikea or Home Depot, I take the pickup truck.

This is quite a personal thing as everyone has their own level of what they consider an acceptable daily driver. I have been DDing my 997GT2 for the last few months, it has rose joints all round and very different 800+hp motor but has rear seats which often used on school run, I have easily been doing all you note above apart from we don't really get snow but I'm sure with the right tyres the LSD would make it pretty useable, I actually find the Cup 2s fine in anything apart from snow. I kind of think as I get older that I only get to do a limited amount of driving so want to be at the wheel of something  visceral and fun (IMO) for every possible mile, the Porsche turbos to me are now very boring.... I actually had a fun drive to a vmax event with me in the GT2 and Mr JWW in his new 992 turbo S who diced with me for a good portion of the drive - I know who had more fun kiss 

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2021 McLaren 765LT incoming 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

Over a decade ago, I was caught out in an early snow and ice storm with my car still shod with it Pilot Sport PS2s.  It was surprising how well those tires, with a bit of heat, did in that inclement weather as SUVs spun out of control.

TB993tt:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

This is quite a personal thing as everyone has their own level of what they consider an acceptable daily driver. I have been DDing my 997GT2 for the last few months, it has rose joints all round and very different 800+hp motor but has rear seats which often used on school run, I have easily been doing all you note above apart from we don't really get snow but I'm sure with the right tyres the LSD would make it pretty useable, I actually find the Cup 2s fine in anything apart from snow. I kind of think as I get older that I only get to do a limited amount of driving so want to be at the wheel of something  visceral and fun (IMO) for every possible mile, the Porsche turbos to me are now very boring.... I actually had a fun drive to a vmax event with me in the GT2 and Mr JWW in his new 992 turbo S who diced with me for a good portion of the drive - I know who had more fun kiss 

It is a personal preference thing.

Push come to shove, I can make a GT3 with sofa seat works almost as good. Will need to be a bit more careful on driving in foul weather though.....

--

I don't get it. For everyday driving nothing beats a SUV or sedan. There are more comfortable, have a lot of room, great creature comforts and excellent performance especially in inclement weather. What's point of owning a Cayenne Turbo or any SUV? I get driving the snappy sport car to special events or get away from at times hum drum life style. But everyday?heart

--

The only easy day was yesterday..

nberry:

But everyday?heart

that's the true life of a so called petrolhead. SmileyGT3RS in pdk is a piece of cake as a daily Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

nberry:

I don't get it. For everyday driving nothing beats a SUV or sedan. There are more comfortable, have a lot of room, great creature comforts and excellent performance especially in inclement weather. What's point of owning a Cayenne Turbo or any SUV? I get driving the snappy sport car to special events or get away from at times hum drum life style. But everyday?heart

Tesla is the best Smiley

All a matter of particular circumstances and personal preferences. When I had a family of four to take around, I had a Cayenne Turbo S. When I had my wife and a few her friends to take around, I had a Panamera Turbo. Now since my children are grown and my wife works at home most of the time, I love my 992 C4S, which is a fantastic daily driver. We are all very fortunate to have these options, and a fine car company like Porsche to offer fine and particular products  for us to choose from.

Just visited the Porsche website and noticed several updates including lightweight options that include CFRP buckets trimmed in black leather with rear seat delete, sports exhaust, and carbon fiber roof.  Wasn’t aware that these packages were available yet. 

Exactly, you stated the obvious.

I am a single guy at the moment, son and daughter adults, so the shitbox and GT3 is the perfect combo,,, for me.

Get myself a lady, then I will probably have to get something nice and comfy Smiley Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

nberry:

SmileySmiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Wonderbar:

All a matter of particular circumstances and personal preferences. When I had a family of four to take around, I had a Cayenne Turbo S. When I had my wife and a few her friends to take around, I had a Panamera Turbo. Now since my children are grown and my wife works at home most of the time, I love my 992 C4S, which is a fantastic daily driver. We are all very fortunate to have these options, and a fine car company like Porsche to offer fine and particular products  for us to choose from.

Smiley I never wanted a big SUV again as a daily driver but the Trackhawk was just so damned unreasonable that I couldn't resist. I could have bought a Challenger or Charger with the same engine instead but daily drivability is not good without AWD, especially in Germany where the daily driver needs to work in winter time as well.

For me, a daily driver needs to be fun as well. I know that many people who have sports cars get a Smart Smiley or something very common as a daily driver because they have that "other" car at home and they don't care but trust me, if you drive a car on a daily basis to work or wherever and you are a car person, you want to enjoy this drive as much as you enjoy driving your sports car. 

The Trackhawk will very likely be my last SUV.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

schmoell:
    nberry:

Tesla is the best Smiley

Actually I daily drove my 911s for 40 years. The last 8 with the 997 turbo. I had a POS only for hail or extreme snow. That car got no miles. I totally get that in life you should not be waste any time not driving the best and most fun car. The turbo is by far still the most fun but I must admit to getting old and enjoying the amazing quiet and capable speed of the tesla a tiny bit. 

RC:
    Wonderbar:

Smiley I never wanted a big SUV again as a daily driver but the Trackhawk was just so damned unreasonable that I couldn't resist. I could have bought a Challenger or Charger with the same engine instead but daily drivability is not good without AWD, especially in Germany where the daily driver needs to work in winter time as well.

For me, a daily driver needs to be fun as well. I know that many people who have sports cars get a Smart Smiley or something very common as a daily driver because they have that "other" car at home and they don't care but trust me, if you drive a car on a daily basis to work or wherever and you are a car person, you want to enjoy this drive as much as you enjoy driving your sports car. 

Did you mean to say ‘reasonable’. Freudian slip. 

Leawood911:
    RC:
    Wonderbar:

Did you mean to say ‘reasonable’. Freudian slip. 

Smiley Well... 

Funny story: A friend, who asked me a few months ago about what car he should get next, got himself a Taycan 4S. 

He came to my office to show me the car and saw the Trackhawk on the parking lot. "What is this", he asked me and I explained it to him. I do not know if he was pissed or just disappointed but he literally told me that I am a hypocrite. He thought I would get a Taycan as well because I "sold" him the Taycan so passionately. 

He wanted an EV and yes, I think the Taycan is great but I never said I would get one myself, only that I am thinking about it. Smiley 

I noticed that once (some) people get themselves an EV, they seem to demonize ICE cars. Same here, I wanted to show him the engine but he couldn't care less. Every other guy I met, first thing they wanted to look under the hood. Smiley

We fight about politics, now we fight about EV and ICE vehicles. Smiley

--

Daily driving cars are used generally in traffic. Will someone explain to me how a 650 hp sport car is fun sitting in traffic. yes 

The sedan and SUV makes traffic bearable and are considerably safer. I have been driving sport cars for over 30 years and as far as i am concerned they are a pain in traffic especially stop and go traffic. surprise

--

The only easy day was yesterday..

nberry:

Daily driving cars are used generally in traffic. Will someone explain to me how a 650 hp sport car is fun sitting in traffic. yes 

The sedan and SUV makes traffic bearable and are considerably safer. I have been driving sport cars for over 30 years and as far as i am concerned they are a pain in traffic especially stop and go traffic. surprise

Not everyone lives in a huge American city connected with a million miles of soulless concrete freeways.  Lots of people's daily drives include scenic river roads, hilly wooded areas, a few fun corners... all of which can provide rewards with a sports car.    As for the 600 HP, I can only say, I don't need that much HP in an urban setting.   BUT - I love the 540 lb-ft of torque that comes with it....that I need. Smiley 

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

I think there is no right or wrong in what someone drives. This depends on the geographical and traffic environment but also on the driving needs and preferences of the individual.

IMO the ideal is to have a sportscar (fun factor), a SUV (ground clearance, 4x4 facility, luggage room) and a cheaper runabout for daily chores.

The actual brands and models in the above trio will depend on the owner/family budget. But even a low budget could satisfy the above assortment of cars..

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

After 40 years of driving sports cars I still get a buzz when I wake in the morning and know I'm driving a beast to work, there is traffic but I guess it is not as bad as you experience, but even sitting stationary, for the last few years in 800hp 997, in neutral engine vibrating the whole structure feeling alive waiting to dip the clutch, into first, modulate 764 pressure plate/GT3 4.0RS sprung disc into forward motion, feel the torque even low down, hear the engine's fantastic sound, decide whether to stay in first and rise the revs up to 4 or 5 K or to shift into second or maybe even third......pull out of the traffic onto a motorway, see an empty quarter mile stretch in front, accelerate in second, backend squirms as it loses traction nannies flicker away on the dash into third. feel 1G acceleration maybe into fourth if there's room, yes I'm very much alive indecision

--

👏👏👏

Wonderbar:

👏👏👏

Ironically me writing this just now, yesterday I got a nice letter from the Police a stop light camera has now been converted to speed camera, I do generally stick to urban limits but I know where the cameras are (or thought I didbroken heart) so I was making progress on the way to work, they snapped me at a death defying 38mph what a fool I am mail

Spot the miscreant

--

Was the zone a 30 or 35 mph speed zone?  

We have a bit of that buffoonery in the States; however, I fear that the new Administration will usher in numerous draconian measures.  The individual nominated for Secretary of Transportation is beyond incompetent and said that he supports increasing the federal fuel tax or eliminating it.  If it is eliminated, it will be replaced with a realtime monitoring system and drivers will be charged a usage fee.  This opens the door to continuous monitoring of the driver and assessing speeding fines and other moving violations as they occur.  

Appeal the fine.  My son has had three of these low speed camera trap violations and has had all three dismissed on written appeal.

CGX car nut:

Was the zone a 30 or 35 mph speed zone?  

We have a bit of that buffoonery in the States; however, I fear that the new Administration will usher in numerous draconian measures.  The individual nominated for Secretary of Transportation is beyond incompetent and said that he supports increasing the federal fuel tax or eliminating it.  If it is eliminated, it will be replaced with a realtime monitoring system and drivers will be charged a usage fee.  This opens the door to continuous monitoring of the driver and assessing speeding fines and other moving violations as they occur.  

limit was 30mph......yes left wing wants control and more control.

--

Wonderbar:

Appeal the fine.  My son has had three of these low speed camera trap violations and has had all three dismissed on written appeal.

I don't think I have a basis for an appeal ? these are a meat and drink easy tax now, I get one per month from my work fleet, answer is not to speed and/or know where the cameras are kiss  

--

TB993tt:
    CGX car nut:

will be replaced with a realtime monitoring system and drivers will be charged a usage fee.  This opens the door to continuous monitoring of the driver and assessing speeding fines and other moving violations as they occur.  

This is not a right or left thing. Every country will get to it with the rise of EV. 
    In Switzerland the government has been talking about it too. They are trying to figure out how they will taxe cars now that more and more are electric and don’t contribute anymore to the taxes through buying fuel. 
    A real usage of the roads taxe will happen. 
    The technology needed will go perfectly car monitoring. 
    What parties can do is make sure the least possible private data will be used. 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Just give one appeal a try. My son initially received a $100 fine for going 39 in a 35. He simply said he was driving carefully, that other cars were moving even more quickly, and that he believed the fine to be excessive for the minor speed over the limit.He received a notice eliminating the fine completely. These fines are simply computer-generated, and an appeal to an actual “administrative judge” sometimes works. Your call, just a suggestion.

Gnil:
    TB993tt:
    CGX car nut:

will be replaced with a realtime monitoring system and drivers will be charged a usage fee.  This opens the door to continuous monitoring of the driver and assessing speeding fines and other moving violations as they occur.  

This is not a right or left thing. Every country will get to it with the rise of EV. 
    In Switzerland the government has been talking about it too. They are trying to figure out how they will taxe cars now that more and more are electric and don’t contribute anymore to the taxes through buying fuel. 
    A real usage of the roads taxe will happen. 
    The technology needed will go perfectly car monitoring. 
    What parties can do is make sure the least possible private data will be used. 

Why should one care about what happens in the nanny state of Switzerland when the topic posted is about draconian changes in the United States? Europe is well down the road of ruinous socialism even in those countries that don’t officially participate in the EU with its non-elected bureaucrats determining how everyone should live. There are plenty of individuals here that do not want the destruction of our rights. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752953 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430633 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258557 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255438 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868223 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801765 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM