Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020)

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:

Not sure blasting through traffic is fun no matter what you drive, when I was young and stupid I used to do that in a sportbike, which can really actually blast through traffic, and even then I wouldn't call it fun, and could not wait for the open road and really drive, myself, not an autopilot.

I used the term blasting just to illustrate that not all EV travel is boring nor is noise a requirement for all to enjoy driving.  
    One of the best ways to enjoy driving is to arrive alive. The safety stats of some EVs are unquestionably excellent. When I was young and stupid I would ignore safety religiously. Lol. Now that I am not this way I appreciate the many safety nets available. 

Sounds reasonable​​​​​, we all have different experiences and preferences Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

One major component  that has defined cars from their beginning is the engine. The ICE gives car its character and it is the single component that stirs the most emotions, The number of cylinders, the configuration, the sound, etc. they are all vital for the enthusiasts and their choice of vehicle.

I cannot imagine how an electric motor or two can substitute the emotions that the temperament and the sound of the ICE give to the driver. These motors are not even made by car manufacturers but they are bought in, like most other characterless components that make up a car.

Probably future generations might finds things to enthuse about EVs but for those of us who have been raised with "normal cars", EVs will continue to be appliances only fit for the purpose of cleaner(?) and lower cost (?) transport. Sheer Horsepower and speed are not so essential for the enthusiast as is the distinctiveness of his favourite engine.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

You can’t really compare a horse to a car either. My grandfather was a horse dealer. He hated cars and I’m certain he thought they had no character compared to a horse. No way he would have thought that someday people would miss engines like he missed horses. 
    If it helps - my latest update allows me to play sounds through the outside speaker.  Including fart noises of course. 
    Personally, while I also like engines like RCs v10 especially, I prefer total silence and a firm shove into the backrest. And I’m not going to lie - the Tesla is cheap to operate.  Very, very cheap. 

You know that your analogy with the horse is a sophism

I am glad that someone like you who has experienced some nice cars, is attracted to Electric Mobility for reasons other than the lower cost of operation.

I suspect that as more and more EVs get into circulation and the cost of scrapping/recycling  vehicles, including the tons of batteries escalates and the electric power requirements multiply to cover the millions of EVs, governments will impose taxation on ownership and on electric power, that will amount probably more than what is today on normal cars. Everything is kept cheap and simple for the time being so that people are enticed. When everybody is in EVs, I expect that any operation cost advantage will be negated by the above

--

@Leawood911

Finally I could drive my friend‘s Tesla 3 Performance MY21 (FL) and it‘s really a great car!

Very cool adjustments but you should watch THIS kiss

Lord_Driftalot:

@Leawood911

Finally I could drive my friend‘s Tesla 3 Performance MY21 (FL) and it‘s really a great car!

Very cool adjustments but you should watch THIS kiss

Thank god EU law forbids aftermarket exhaust sound sound systems. Smiley A friend's brother has a BMW X6 Diesel(!) which sounds like a true V8 muscle car. So stupid. Smiley  Illegal too.

At some point, I am pretty sure that some EV manufacturers will come up with a fake engine sound which may or may not be certified for road use but in an EV, I prefer something like what Porsche did with the "Sport Sound". This is perfect for an EV.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Fake ICE sportscar sounds on an EV doesn't make sense to me, those that like ICE's sounds will find it embarrassing to have an EV faking that sound through the speakers, like driving a Pontiac Fiero with a fake Ferrari bodykit. And those that don't appreciate ICE sound (non-car-people and newer generations that were not as exposed to sportscars like us) won't want that either, for them is just noise yes

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

It's just about fun and even more how ridiculous fake exhaust sound is all about (like diesel sounding like sports cars).

For me it's a gimmick, like the fart mode in any Tesla

Lord_Driftalot:

It's just about fun and even more how ridiculous fake exhaust sound is all about (like diesel sounding like sports cars).

Agreed. It is fun but not really legal in most parts of the EU. Smiley

I really thought with myself if I should get an EV or not but finally decided not to get one. On the contrary, my daily driver for the next four years will be an anti-Tesla as I call it. Smiley 

At some point in the future, we all are going to drive EVs in a way or another, so why do it now? I made my decision. Fuel consumption is of course an issue, so is fuel cost (we have higher fuel prices starting 2021).

If Porsche had better lease offers for the Taycan Turbo S, I may have been tempted.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Go for the Audi e-Tron sedan. Better value than the Taycan.

--

My brother purchased an Audi E Tron about three months ago. He’s had a lot of trouble with with it, particularly the support given by the Audi dealers in our area. Also, the range is very unpredictable, given the colder weather here now. To quote him, “I like it, when it works“.

Lord_Driftalot:

Nice to hear you enjoyed your drive.  Seems the guys in the video liked it as well. Fwiw the latest software update provided sounds to the exterior speaker for free. And as you can expect it can play any sound files you provide or a bunch of included sound effects. You can also change the sounds your horn makes including a human voice which says “Pardon me?”  All part of the most recent Christmas update. A present from Tesla for all owners. 
    This makes it hard for the aftermarket to be profitable. Good ideas are quickly provided to owners for free. Even if you bought you car years ago. Turns current auto sales practice on its head. 

Whoopsy:

Go for the Audi e-Tron sedan. Better value than the Taycan.

For now, I won't get any EV. I need two cars, a daily driver (with luggage, deep snow and family "capabilities") and a sports car. I have both now. Of course I would love to have more cars (maybe even including an EV of some sorts) but  I have different priorities right now, will go into retirement around 60 (five years from now), so I can't just throw out money (anymore). Smiley Smiley

--

Sport Auto Supertest

NBR - 7.17

HHR - 1.47,8

Acceleration:

0-40: 1,0

0-100: 2,6

0-160: 5,6

0-200: 8,6

Braking:

100-0(Cold): 32,9 m

100-0(Warm): 31,5 m

200-0(Warm): 124,3 m

Power Output: 680 PS @ 6,850  / 810 Nm

Weight: 1,656 kg

Tires: Pirelli P Zero (NA1)

That's a pretty quick Ring lap on street tires kiss

And Hockenheim lap very impressive among competitors here (look at #49):

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/hockenheim-gp

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

The 992 Turbo is definitely the most practical car on the last up to that time too.  Amazing car and I wonder how many owners will even extract even 10-15% of their car's capabilities.  

Great car but the result of the Supertest is somehow disappointing according to CG. Why would Porsche finally offer s Sportfahrwerk (-10mm) and at the same time not allow for sports tyres?  Pretty stupid decision IMO. Also CG hopes for a change to this on the 992.2...

For those who could read it the Nring time is the same as the - far less potent - 991.2.

--

turbolite

I think Porsche don't want the Turbo S with significantly more power,  to challenge the GT3. Porsche already know the GT3 and GT3 RS lap times.  So, they deduct the sports tyres form the equation.  OTOH they include a -10mm option probably because without it the Turbo S times might have been unacceptable compared to its competitors.

Also, there might be a GT2 coming over the Turbo S and below the GT2 RS.

Porsche marketing want to make room for all models.

--

Someone from another forum translated the article:

Well, well... I usually do not translate a full article because even with Google, this is long, very long. But I have been captured by this very, very interesting article, given a very different view on the 992 Turbo S. So here is the result for your reading pleasure (I made some cuts and eliminated the bits with which I struggled most - I hope there are no mistakes but overall everything makes sense) :

WET - these three letters light up on the digital display. When all the semislick heroes crawl shivering in the right lane, the Porsche 911 Turbo S becomes the 'rain king' in the left lane. Special rain setup in wet mode, Pirelli tires with outstanding wet handling properties... this time we should have probably done our Supertest in the rain, and everything would have been fine. No sports car currently exudes such drivability, driving stability and dominance in wet conditions as the Porsche 911 Turbo S.

The Pirelli P Zero tires with the Porsche identification NA1 play a major role in the excellent wet performance. Improvement of the wet grip behavior was a central point in the specifications for the 992 development as a whole. An indication of what the NA1 can do in the wet: in a direct comparison to the Pirelli predecessor tire with N1 identification, the NA1 is about six seconds faster on the 1.8 kilometer wet handling track of the Contidrom, according to Porsche.

The working temperature window of the Pirelli P Zero NA1 is also much larger. While the N1 tire, which was fitted as standard on the 991.2 predecessor, needed temperature almost like a real sports tire before it developed its ideal grip, the NA1 quickly achieves a secure grip level even in cool outside temperatures.
    In addition to the significant improvement in the wet grip level, this improvement of the cold temperatures properties was also required during tire development: with the 991.2 series, some customers were bothered by the trampling of the front axle tires during turning maneuvers. GT3 and GT2 customers know this this behavior and accept this loss of comfort for the outstanding dry performance of their tires.
    The profile of a 911 Turbo customer has changed more and more over the years. While Turbo customers used to do fast laps with their vehicles in the Porsche Sports Driving School or at the Club Sport events, today it feels like 99 percent of all current Turbo models live an everyday existence. Accordingly, today's Turbo owners bring less and less their car to a racetrack. As a consequence, Porsche is now adapting the 911 Turbo S to the dominant customer profile. Somehow understandable.

But at least the remaining one percent of customers will ask themselves the same question as we did here in during the Supertest: why is there no longer an optional sports tire for the 992 Turbo S? While both the 991.1 Turbo S on Dunlop Sport Maxx Race and the 991.2 Turbo S on Pirelli P Zero Corsa NO were available with such optional sports tires and thus came equiped with them in the Supertest, there is no such option for the current generation.

The reason given by Porsche: the sales figures for a sports tire for the 911 Turbo S are far too low. So why are there optional Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires available for a Cayenne Turbo, or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 NDO for the Panamera Turbo S? Quite simply, such sports tires are developed for SUV and upper class models mainly for two reasons: to win press comparison tests and to make lap records possible. Customer orientation was not the focus here.

But more simply, perhaps the 992 Turbo S simply doesn't need any sports tires. Is the Pirelli P Zero NA1 not only better than a sports tire in terms of wet grip, but also in terms of dry grip?
    On the standardized braking test from 100 km/h, it almost seems like that. The 992 Turbo S achieves UHP-like warm braking values with standard tires. For comparison: 31.3 meters for the 991.2 Turbo S on Pirelli P Zero Corsa NO, 31.5 meters for the current model on Pirelli P Zero NA1. Normally, a sports tire has a clear advantage when it comes to deceleration when it is warm, while it has noticeable disadvantages when it is cold. At 32.9 meters, the NA1 also shines with an excellent cold braking distance (cold braking distance of the 991.2 Turbo S on the Pirelli P Zero Corsa NO: 35.5 meters): respect to the tire developers!
    Of course, the impressive PCCB ceramic brake system and the very good ABS set-up play also a major role in the braking performance. The braking system of the 992 Turbo S is easy to adjust at the limit on the racetrack - better than the 992 Carrera S.

In Hockenheim, too, the Pirelli P Zero NA1 initially seems to justify the lack of dedicated sports tire option. With a lap time of 1:47.8 minutes, the 992 Turbo S beats real semi-slick heroes like the Mercedes-AMG GT R Pro (1:48.0 min), McLaren 600LT (1:48.9 min) and Lamborghini Huracán Evo (1:49.0 min ). Chapeau!
    But this good result doesn't tell the full story and hide the real behavior of the NA1 tire at the limit. Even with brand new tires, the grip level is not as grippy and focused as with a sports tire, and it becomes slightly slippery at the limit, pushing the driver to look for higher sideslip angles.

In Hockenheim, the overall chassis concept overlays the tire properties and has a coherent effect. After two to three laps on the GP course, however, the dry grip decreases. Steering precision and traction are reduced and this change in grip is also noticeable when braking, with braking points gradually shifting further forwards.
    Then we went to the Nordschleife. My expectations: If the 992 Turbo S just beats a Mercedes-AMG GT R Pro at Hockenheim, it shall also have it under control at the ring, or even dominate it. Lap time of the AMG GT R Pro? 7.07 minutes. The AMG managed this lap time on its extreme Michelin track tires, but the Porsche has 65 hp.
    First 7.25, then a 7.21, and at 7.17 minutes the stopwatch for the 992 Turbo S finally stops: disillusionment. Back in the workshop, a Porsche employee kindly takes me aside and reveals the internal expectations, which also reveal the time corridor that Porsche determined during its internal test drives on the Nordschleife: "If you are as fast with the 992 Turbo S as with the 991.2 Turbo S on the Corsa, everything is fine."
    It slowly becomes clear why Porsche has not published any own official Nordschleife time this time. The 992 Turbo S does the Nordschleife with NA1 tires no faster than the 991.2 Turbo S on Corsa tires, even though the current 3.8-liter biturbo has 70 hp more. 7.17 minutes is not slow, though! No sports car without semislicks has been faster in the Supertest. But till now, a newer Porsche Turbo always went faster than the previous one. But more importantly than the time itself, the 991.2 on Corsa tires conveyed more confidence at the limit than the current model.

Reason number 1: You can perhaps compensate for the slightly slippery tire grip in Hockenheim with larger sideslip angles, but it is not possible on the Nordschleife where there are no emergency solutions, as the run-off zones are tiny. On the Nordschleife, it helps the driver if the tire presents a reliable and precisely defined limit range.

The advantage of the PASM sports suspension, which is available as an option for the Turbo S for the first time, is counteracted by the lack of a designated sports tire. Despite the sports suspension, the cornering speeds of the 992 Turbo S with Pirelli P Zero NA1 are, with a few exceptions, slower than those of the 991.2 Turbo S on Corsa tires. And by the way: the PASM sports suspension was also fully developed for the 991.2 predecessor model, but did not make it to series production. Fortunately for the current Turbo S, otherwise its lap time on the Nordschleife would definitely be slower than that of its predecessor.
    Reason number 2: The PDCC roll assistant filters out almost all Nordschleife bumps. It feels a bit like floating over the Nordschleife in a hovercraft. As a result, the feedback not only appears somewhat synthetic and slightly decoupled, but it also leads to unforeseen vehicle reactions. The Turbo S hardly signals its driver that the limit area has been reached. And once the limit has been reached, it suddenly becomes sharp.
    For example on the undulating passage after the fast Hatzenbachbogen and before the Hatzenbach alternating curves. Normally, the movements of a vehicle's body on these bumps signal at some point that it is high time to take your foot off the accelerator and apply the brakes. The Turbo S initially gives you a false sense of security with only slight body movements, and if you miss the right braking point just a tad, you are suddenly in trouble when braking. You have to prepare for a sudden offset in the Turbo S on the wave running across the slope in front of the fast Metzgesfeld turn.

Reason number 3: After Metzgesfeld 1, Metzgesfeld 2 is a point where another fundamental issue of the 992 Turbo S stands out. Braking, downshifting, then accelerating again: compared to the 991.2 Turbo S, the current 3.8-liter biturbo has more power, but does not pull off as fast as its 580 hp predecessor from the middle speed range.

And there are numerous such corners on the Nordschleife in which the current Turbo S leaves time behind compared to its predecessor due to its slightly delayed response. The pure acceleration advantage of the 992 Turbo S (0–200 km/h: 8.6 s) compared to the 991.2 Turbo S (0–200 km/h: 9.9 s) largely fizzles out on the Ring.
    Reason number 4: At 1622 kg (1656 kg with the non-salable safety package including full-shell cup seat and titanium roll bar fitted to our test car), the 911 Turbo S is 45 kg heavier than its predecessor. And the weight spiral is unlikely to be stopped if, according to rumors, the facelift 992.2 Turbo S will really be launched as an e-hybrid.

Unless, in future, Porsche will not only rely on lighter composite materials such as carbon fiber in its GT models, but also in its other vehicles. The optionally available lightweight package, which our Turbo-S test car also had on board, is a first step. The lighter glazing, full bucket seats, reduced insulation and the absence of the rear seat system save 30 kilos. A carbon roof is also available at an additional cost.
    Sports suspension, lightweight package, carbon roof: all of that literally cries out for an optional UHP sports tire for the direct successor 992.2. Then we will certainly not only celebrate the 911 Turbo S as the rain king, but also as a Nordschleife hero again.

Besides the very interesting bits of information the article brings on the handling (once again, I have hardly seen anywhere else such a detailed and insightful analysis, for the Turbo S at least), my favorite part (because Christian says aloud what I wrote many times here :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) is this one :
    So why are there optional Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires available for a Cayenne Turbo, or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 NDO for the Panamera Turbo S? Quite simply, such sports tires are developed for SUV and upper class models mainly for two reasons: to win press comparison tests and to make lap records possible. Customer orientation was not the focus here.  

The new PZero is indeed a huge improvement and not far away from a semi-slick on the track with huge advantages in the wet but it looses grip after a few rounds as I've been told, so not exactly the perfect track tire for serious track fun. The biggest advantage of this tire is that it has been developed in conjunction with Porsche and AWD setup and you can imagine that this tire is just pure perfection for this car. Porsche puts a lot of work and money into tire development and it shows.

--

911 turbo S are never the ultimate 'sports car', it has always been the ultimate 'all around sports car'. It has a complete 'envelope' of performance.

Dry weather performance are getting to the point where gains are incremental, no more giant gulp gains, and at the top of the food chain, they are all separate by not much margin.

But on the wet side of the equation, there are good size gains to be had with modern tire technology. Why not take advantage of that and make the car's 'envelope' more complete? 

--

Whoopsy:

911 turbo S are never the ultimate 'sports car', it has always been the ultimate 'all around sports car'. It has a complete 'envelope' of performance.

Dry weather performance are getting to the point where gains are incremental, no more giant gulp gains, and at the top of the food chain, they are all separate by not much margin.

But on the wet side of the equation, there are good size gains to be had with modern tire technology. Why not take advantage of that and make the car's 'envelope' more complete? 

Agreed. Actually, I think the 911 Turbo S is the best "daily driver" supercar on the market. Maybe even the only one. Smiley

--

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Agreed. Actually, I think the 911 Turbo S is the best "daily driver" supercar on the market. Maybe even the only one. Smiley

It is the only one.

For some reason or another, no one else wants in in this segment.

Huracan doesn't have the practicality. Ferrari's Lusso/FF, Bentley are on the other side of Grand Touring. 

Everything else went with rear wheel drive and completely avoid the direct competition. 

It's one reason I always needed to have a 911 turbo S in the garage. I can do without any Porsche GT cars, I can do without mid engine Ferraris, But I cannot do without a 911 turbo S.

--

All other cars have the engine in the wrong place indecision

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Haven't driven my Turbo for month and consider selling it, but then it has it's moments, like driving very fast on an empty Autobahn for hundreds of km and still feel relaxed

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

But I cannot do without a 911 turbo S.

''Different'', or wrong Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

throt:
    Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

Porsche sells enough of them every year to justify it's existence🤷🏻‍♂️

No one else makes an all purpose car like a 911 turbo/turbo S, either those have better dry performance but with less interior space and utility, or better space and utility but handles worse. 

I thought the FF could be a replacement, awd for year round weather, bigger back seat and perhaps more cargo room, but that car simply can't handle like a 911, not to mention it's quite a bit bigger. 

--

Whoopsy:
    throt:
    Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

Porsche sells enough of them every year to justify it's existence🤷🏻‍♂️

No one else makes an all purpose car like a 911 turbo/turbo S, either those have better dry performance but with less interior space and utility, or better space and utility but handles worse. 

I thought the FF could be a replacement, awd for year round weather, bigger back seat and perhaps more cargo room, but that car simply can't handle like a 911, not to mention it's quite a bit bigger. 

I get it, totally

911 fits like a cosy glove. I could even use my GT3 as a daily so a Turbo S would definitely do the trick. Smiley

I honestly think the Turbo S will be my next car when my body succumbs to older age. Smiley Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Isn’t a daily driving sport turbo charged car an oxymoron?yes

--

The only easy day was yesterday..

nberry:

Isn’t a daily driving sport turbo charged car an oxymoron?yes

Not if your only other car is something like a Vauxhall Smiley

You choose the daily, Nick

Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759178 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433539 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259656 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256796 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80519 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870520 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805443 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM