Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

ICE, Hybrid, EV, Future Bans on Petrol Cars, & the Supercar

Just posted a new karenable.com blog on ICE, Hybrid, EV, Future Bans on Petrol Cars, & the Supercar

https://karenable.com/ice-hybrid-ev-future-bans-on-petrol-cars-the-supercar/

Comments? Thoughts? 

What do you believe will actually happen?

Re: ICE, Hybrid, EV, Future Bans on Petrol Cars, & the Supercar

SSO.:

Just posted a new karenable.com blog on ICE, Hybrid, EV, Future Bans on Petrol Cars, & the Supercar

Comments? Thoughts? 

I think that in 10-15 years, we are going to see incredible EV supercars with performances beyond good and evil and power figures way over 1500 hp or even 2000 hp. They will offer AWD, amazing adaptable and adjustable tech and even comfort if requested, they will offer some clever AI systems for certain driving situations and some of them will maybe even have some sorts of training system for certain tracks, to assist drivers to get better.

They will however sound like crap, unless the manufacturers will use some sorts of artificial sounds, either as fake sounds or some sorts of futuristic EV sound, similar to the optional sport sound for the Taycan for example.

Either way, the sports cars like we know them today, will be a thing of the past. They stand no chance, performance-wise and emissions-wise. Hybrids will only be an intermediary solution until battery weight will drop and charging speed will increase.

Once customers will realize the performance potential of these cars, they will succeed. "Old" petrol sports cars will become collectables, even more than now but I'm not certain about their value in the future. It may depend on the availability of fuel and fuel prices but also on demand for such collectibles.

Make no mistake, in a decade, new EV sportscars will eat any combustion engine operated car for breakfast and not only on straights. Modern and sophisticated drivetrain/chassis technology will help even heavier EVs catch up with modern combustion engine operated cars. A sad reality.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

And with time the sound of a combustion engine will sound like horse farts. Sad but I think RC nailed it. I did not steal his login to write the above. 

RC:
    SSO.:

Comments? Thoughts? 

I think that in 10-15 years, we are going to see incredible EV supercars with performances beyond good and evil and power figures way over 1500 hp or even 2000 hp. They will offer AWD, amazing adaptable and adjustable tech and even comfort if requested, they will offer some clever AI systems for certain driving situations and some of them will maybe even have some sorts of training system for certain tracks, to assist drivers to get better.

They will however sound like crap, unless the manufacturers will use some sorts of artificial sounds, either as fake sounds or some sorts of futuristic EV sound, similar to the optional sport sound for the Taycan for example.

Either way, the sports cars like we know them today, will be a thing of the past. They stand no chance, performance-wise and emissions-wise. Hybrids will only be an intermediary solution until battery weight will drop and charging speed will increase.

Once customers will realize the performance potential of these cars, they will succeed. "Old" petrol sports cars will become collectables, even more than now but I'm not certain about their value in the future. It may depend on the availability of fuel and fuel prices but also on demand for such collectibles.

Make no mistake, in a decade, new EV sportscars will eat any combustion engine operated car for breakfast and not only on straights. Modern and sophisticated drivetrain/chassis technology will help even heavier EVs catch up with modern combustion engine operated cars. A sad reality.

Agree that EV will own all performance metrics, however I still don't see how its going to be much more than a soulless experience providing inputs to the cars computer while sitting in the drivers seat.

Do you still remember records and those good old fashioned record players? Well...look where we are now when it comes to music. The car industry will (have to) find ways to make these soulless EVs more attractive and they will.

Artificial engine sounds of any sorts, cars you can drive or vice versa 👀, lots of new comfort stuff in cars, new multimedia experiences and so on. We cannot escape the future.

I think that people like me and you will still appreciate the “good old times” of combustion engines, maybe even some of our kids but future generations will probably not understand how we enjoyed (and maybe still enjoy at that particular time in the future) those old unsafe and loud combustion engined sports cars. 😉

AI systems will advance substantially over the next decade or two, we are going to see amazing but probably also frightening developments in the car industry. New hardware and software will be the key elements here and once batteries get lighter and charging times drop to five minutes or less, combustion engines are mostly done.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

I will say that the performance can be so attention demanding that you don’t really notice engine noise or lack of it at times. Not to mention the many positives of stealth.  The slam into the back of the seats and slot car quickness makes up for a lot of other missing stuff. 
    I do love the sound of a lambo v10!!! You do hopefully know how lucky you are! Nothing like it but we will adapt to find other attributes to love. How else to you explain the Cardashians?

Leawood911:

How else to you explain the Cardashians?

A poor education system?

SmileySSO.:
    Leawood911:

SmileyA poor education system?

Yes 👍 

+1 SSO

SSO.:
    Leawood911:

A poor education system?

Smiley Good one. Smiley

Reality shows in general escape my comprehension, I do not understand why people watch them?! Smiley

I am not your typical intellectual who tremendously enjoys art and classic music concerts, on the contrary, I enjoy a good video game with my son more than spending two hours at the opera Smiley but sometimes I wonder how people can watch crap like the Kardashians. I watched once (many years ago) one of the first episodes because everyone was talking about them and I like to stay informed but I remember how I was baffled how people could enjoy this trash.

Don't get me wrong: I think the Kardashians are clever business people or let me rephrase it, I think their management (the mother?) is genius. How someone can make so much money in this industry with absolutely ordinary, if not even unattractive, looks and, is beyond me. Smiley The entertainment value of their "shows" seems also to be Zero (for me), so... Smiley I am really open minded but I don't get it. Is it the wealth people love to watch or what is it? Smiley 

I think the Kardashians are a product of our new social media world, where shallow entertainment and self-presentation is king. Me and my kids enjoyed some early social media content about cars (me/son) or fashion/make-up (daughter) but now, me and my son barely watch YouTube anymore (maybe some of those car fails Smiley), especially not those from YouTubers who gave the impression they are self-made social media millionaires but in reality, they were already wealthy (living off their parents and/or trust funds).

My daughter watches book reviews only, so she knows what to read next (she is a big reader, unlike me or my son Smiley).

I watch a lot of TV and movies, I am very tired when I get home in the evening and I enjoy watching them with my wife together but reality shows? No thanks. Right now we are watching 24 again, the whole series, because my wife never watched it. Jack Bauer rules. Smiley

Social media? Much less than in the past. I usually only watch car videos when a new car is out or when I want to get a new car and I need some third party input and images.

I have no idols, never had and I will not start to have social media idols. Smiley Most of them are fake and I do not fake stuff in my life. Smiley

--

RC:
    SSO.:
    Leawood911:

A poor education system?

Smiley Good one. Smiley

Reality shows in general escape my comprehension, I do not understand why people watch them?! Smiley

Personally I find them the entertainment version of an enema.

Enema...good one again. Smiley Smiley

--

The issue of exhaust sounds depends on what you're accustomed to. Music is about familiarity. The more familiar the music the more you like it.  

With car exhaust sound, if you're brought up in an environment where car sounds are unwelcome then that is what you'll prefer. As EV become more prevalent, the less welcome will be car exhaust sounds.kiss

--

The only easy day was yesterday..

nberry:

The issue of exhaust sounds depends on what you're accustomed to. Music is about familiarity. The more familiar the music the more you like it.  

With car exhaust sound, if you're brought up in an environment where car sounds are unwelcome then that is what you'll prefer. As EV become more prevalent, the less welcome will be car exhaust sounds.kiss

Nick,

I actually agree with your observation.

Who knew?

Smiley

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

nberry:

the less welcome will be car exhaust sounds.kiss

That sounds like a stark barren world...Smiley

W8MM:
    nberry:

Nick,

I actually agree with your observation.

Who knew?

Smiley

That is how I see.it as well, nicely put Nick.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

SSO.:
    nberry:

Strewn with used batteries Smiley​​​​​​.

crayphile:
    SSO.:
    nberry:

Strewn with used batteries Smiley​​​​​​.

Indications are the batteries will outlast most cars by a factor of 10 to 1. Once they are done in the cars they will be used as power walls etc until they are finally recycled in 20 years or so.   
    Almost all music or sounds you hear currently are from speakers not exhaust.  This actually means your car can sound however you want. There is already some joker who makes a Tesla electric exhaust which sounds like any car you want complete with shifting.  I don’t think it will catch on. Silence will win and it won’t be boring because the speed will keep you too occupied. 

SSO.:
    nberry:

Well, it is but then, I think Nick is right...this is going to happen. Smiley

--

When I think of a couple of my neighbors with 1969 or 1970 Mustang convertibles and a couple more with 90's era Pontiac Firebirds and all of them with exhaust systems that are louder than factory original; it makes me believe that there will still be enough car sounds around for many years to come. Sometimes there is too much today!

Gladstone:

When I think of a couple of my neighbors with 1969 or 1970 Mustang convertibles and a couple more with 90's era Pontiac Firebirds and all of them with exhaust systems that are louder than factory original; it makes me believe that there will still be enough car sounds around for many years to come. Sometimes there is too much today!

True. After I got my new Trackhawk, I was thinking about installing a louder exhaust, you can barely hear the V8 at idle or at lower rpm figures. I decided against it. When I fully accelerated, hell breaks loose, the V8 sounds exactly how it is supposed to sound, very loud and V8-like. So I can basically choose how I want the exhaust to sound, loud or not. For driving in the city and to work, I think the quieter exhaust makes more sense. My neighbours are surely happy as well. Smiley

--

I used to own an ex-Penske '73 911RS/IROC with what looked like a standard muffler for the exhaust.

It was actually a one-off "sport muffler" which consisted of straight pipes which had been perforated for 10-15 cm with tiny holes in annular fashion.  In the area of the circumferential hole pattern, it was surrounded by a stock-looking muffler housing that didn't do much acoustic dampening.  It wasn't too awfully loud at low rpm, but above 4,000 rpm, it was essentially a race car exhaust.

The neighbors hated me when I would back it out of my garage and be on my way. smiley

DCP00392.JPG
    --

Mike

918 Spyder + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

SSO.:
    nberry:

Fear not, EV manufacturers may offer an option for exhaust sound inside the cabin. Porsche will offer the option for the cost of its Sport Exhaust. Smiley

--

The only easy day was yesterday..

W8MM:

I used to own an ex-Penske '73 911RS/IROC with what looked like a standard muffler for the exhaust.

It was actually a one-off "sport muffler" which consisted of straight pipes which had been perforated for 10-15 cm with tiny holes in annular fashion.  In the area of the circumferential hole pattern, it was surrounded by a stock-looking muffler housing that didn't do much acoustic dampening.  It wasn't too awfully loud at low rpm, but above 4,000 rpm, it was essentially a race car exhaust.

The neighbors hated me when I would back it out of my garage and be on my way. smiley

DCP00392.JPG
    --

Mike

What a beauty! Do you miss it Mike?

nberry:
    SSO.:
    nberry:

Fear not, EV manufacturers may offer an option for exhaust sound inside the cabin. Porsche will offer the option for the cost of its Sport Exhaust. Smiley

They already do in the Taycan, it's called Electric Sports SoundSmiley

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:
    SSO.:
    nberry:

They already do in the Taycan, it's called Electric Sports SoundSmiley

Smiley It isn't that bad actually, kind of a futuristic sound. I love the whine from my Trackhawk supercharger (after removing that stupid Helmholtz Resonator from the air filter duct Smiley) better though. Smiley

In the future, I am pretty positive that car manufacturers will offer different interior(!) sounds to choose from...V8, V10, etc., maybe even downloadable in some sort of a car's app store. Smiley This is the future, we cannot really stop it.

--

I’m a purist with these things. I still drive a manual. I don’t want GPFs, and I won’t have electronic sounds replacing my exhaust. But most consumers don’t care so much, and will eventually accept what corporate marketers tell them they need.

mcdelaug:

I’m a purist with these things. I still drive a manual. I don’t want GPFs, and I won’t have electronic sounds replacing my exhaust. But most consumers don’t care so much, and will eventually accept what corporate marketers tell them they need.

I shift manually, I do not see the point of driving manual for various reasons, especially on sports cars. I guess manual gearboxes are fun on certain cars but I cannot imagine driving my Performante with a manual gearbox. It would be to distracting. Smiley I shift manually though, always. In the Performante.

The other cars I drive (GLC, Trackhawk), I leave in auto mode. Makes no sense to shift manually, fun factor isn't really higher.

GPF is a different story though, so are electronic and/or fake sounds replacing a proper exhaust sound.

Consumers don't care because many don't know. Only few people know that fake exhaust sounds are sometimes coming out of the HiFi system and/or hidden speakers. How would they know, manufacturers aren't exactly advertising this stuff?! Smiley

--

I always like the sound of other people's cars the best. The sound when they start it up. The sound engaging the gear. Then the sound of some wide open throttle and running it through the gears. Then when they reach highway speed and the sound settles into a monotonous drone, I don't hear it anymore  smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM