Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Toyota Yaris GR

In Portugal almost the same as the Yaris!

If that’s the case IMO GR Yaris being AWD is enough to win over the JCW Mini (nothing else considered).

--

There is no try. Just do.

The Yaris GR is one of the few cars set up so you can left foot brake while driving versus left foot braking while going to Starbucks.

indecision 

Has anyone on this blog ordered this monstrosity?cool

Come on. With all the excitement on the blog for the Yaris GR I would have assumed at less 10 poster would have placed their order. Or is this all puff and no action.Smiley

--

The only easy day was yesterday..

nberry:

indecision 

Has anyone on this blog ordered this monstrosity?cool

Come on. With all the excitement on the blog for the Yaris GR I would have assumed at less 10 poster would have placed their order. Or is this all puff and no action.Smiley

--

If you'd go back a few pages you'll see a few of us have already taken delivery.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

BiTurbo:

Sport Auto: Mini JCW vs Toyota Yaris 'GR'

HHR - 2.09,6 / 2.03,8

Slalom 18 m: 67,6 km/h / 70,9 km/h

Acceleration:

0-40: 2,3 / 1,5
    0-100: 6,8 / 5,4
    0-160: 14,6 / 12,5
    0-200: 24,6 / 21,9

Top Speed: 246 km/h / 230 km/h

Braking:

100-0(Cold): 35,6 m  /  35,6 m
    100-0(Warm): 35,6 m / 33,6 m
    200-0(Warm): 145,0 m / 136,8 m

Weight: 1,273 kg  /  1,285 kg

Tires: Pirelli P Zero / Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Points (100):  50  /  69

Weight 2531 kg... Smiley Smiley

No launch control.

1608628396442IMG_6108.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

0-200 = 21.9

Not enough for me, buddy  indecision

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

bluelines:
    BjoernB:

explain the difference in Bags and Love bracelets indecision

Smiley

Or better; explain how much money there is left to buy handbags after you purchased the Yaris rather than the Ferrari you originally planned to buy...

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

throt:

0-200 = 21.9

Well, my truck does 0-200 kph in 13.1 seconds. Smiley

Still, I bet the Yaris GR is much more fun on some curvy mountain roads. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Enzo II:

I'm considering this and the Abarth 595C to replace my daily drive. Will depend on what the lease company says about it

It is going to be the Abarth 595C at the end...I prefered open air. The lease is only for 2 years, so hopefully i don't get that much bored Smiley ...is replacing a BMW 1 diesel anyway so... Smiley

Getting also a Praga go-kart this days, always fun

https://pragaglobal.com/racing-karts/maxi/

RC:
    throt:

0-200 = 21.9

Well, my truck does 0-200 kph in 13.1 seconds. Smiley

Still, I bet the Yaris GR is much more fun on some curvy mountain roads. Smiley

Haha, for sure

Fun little cars. Wish Ford did a nice RS for a daily.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Ford Focus RS? Smiley

2016-ford-focus-rs-101-1557785824.jpg

--

Ford stop production now though, shame.

Still, the STI's are available.

All this talk makes me want to have a look about Smiley

Come March, with the new reg, dealers should have a few bargains on the show floor they want to shift, due to cancellations Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

Ford stop production now though, shame.

Still, the STI's are available.

All this talk makes me want to have a look about Smiley

Come March, with the new reg, dealers should have a few bargains on the show floor they want to shift, due to cancellations Smiley

Smiley

--

Toyota GR Yaris review - a true homologation superstar (Evo magazine)

Toyota’s new road-going rally special is a great drivers’ car of the type we worried we’d never see again. It’s a little gem.

EVO RATING: ***** (5 stars)

+ Huge cross-country pace belies figures on paper; sense of purpose; gutsy engine

It’s here. Yes, it’s the return of the homologation special. A – relatively – affordable performance car not created solely on the basis of a marketing plan, or to lower a meaningless lap record around a given circuit, but to serve as the ideal base from which to mount a top-flight motorsport campaign. The Toyota GR Yaris is a true homologation special in the most literal sense.

Such an approach has given us some of the most revered ‘evo’ cars of all time, from the Ford Sierra RS Cosworth to the Porsche 993 GT2, and so many more. Can the GR Yaris add its name to that hallowed list?

Engine, transmission and 0-60 time

The purpose-designed G16E-GTS three-cylinder engine displaces 1.6 litres and with the aid of a turbocharger produces 257bhp and 265lb ft of torque. Drive is taken through a six-speed manual transmission to the GR-Four chassis, which is Toyota’s name for a full-time four-wheel-drive set-up based around an electronically controlled multi-plate clutch. 

In theory 0 to 100 per cent of the torque can be sent to the front or the rear, but in reality there are three modes to choose from. Normal equates to a 70:30 torque split with a front bias, Sport reverses that with a 30:70 split, and Track is 50:50.

The punchy engine and four-wheel drive together enable the GR Yaris to reach 62mph from rest in just 5.5 seconds. Top speed is an electronically limited 142mph.

Technical highlights

There’s so much to say about the technical make-up of the GR Yaris, but the short version is that the body shares only its front and rear lamps and its wing mirrors with the regular Yaris. Yes, it may be a small, three-door (hurrah!) hatchback, but the GR is a very special piece of kit designed specifically for the intended job. There’s a carbonfibre roof, aluminium bonnet and doors, and numerous engineering solutions designed to make this Yaris the ideal basis for a rally car, whether in the top category of the sport or the WRC2 class.  

What’s it like to drive?

For a driving enthusiast, the sense of anticipation when handed the key to the GR Yaris is almost off the scale. To the uninitiated it may look like a humble little Toyota hatchback, but after all the hype and mouth-watering specification talk we don’t think there’d be any more excitement if it were something low, wide, Italian and in possession of 800 horsepower. 

What strikes you initially is how squat, simple and purposeful the GR Yaris looks on the road. There’s a small spoiler on the rear hatch but otherwise the shape is largely devoid of frippery. From behind it dominates the road thanks to those wide rear wheelarches, while at the front the gaping holes in the bodywork for cooling are almost militaristic in their single-minded design. 

When viewed purely in isolation, the three-pot engine’s vital stats don’t look that spectacular, even if the GR Yaris is admirably light (1280-1310kg, depending on specification) given the amount of technical content crammed into its small body. And if your only experience of a three-cylinder engine is a 1-litre Ford EcoBoost unit, you may be wondering if a triple can really cut it at this level.  

Any such concerns are banished the moment you get the GR Yaris moving. Its engine is gutsy low down, but then really enjoys revving, and the subsequent surge of power throws the little car along at an amusingly rapid pace. In reality, it feels much stronger than the figures suggest: with the benefit of complete traction not a single one of those turbocharged horses is wasted, and the performance is further boosted by some nicely stacked gear ratios that aren’t too long. 

It’s also immediately clear that the GR Yaris gets its pace not just from that energetic engine, but because in true rally homologation special style it worries not a jot about the surface beneath its wheels. Ridges, compressions and broken asphalt are dismissed with barely a thought, the car charging onwards towards the next challenge without hesitation. Grip levels on the Circuit Pack version’s Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres are very high, and only occasionally does the damping struggle on a particularly tricky bump.

Unlike a front-wheel-drive hot hatch, such as the current Fiesta ST, the four-wheel-drive Toyota’s cornering repertoire is much more three dimensional. A corner isn’t about simply getting the front to turn in and then managing traction on the way out; rather, the Yaris will rotate and then power through, the primary objective for the driver being to see just how early they can get on the power. 

The answer, often, is even earlier than you thought. Perhaps the Yaris could be more aggressive still at the front end, for as it stands it’s much closer to an old Subaru Impreza than a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo in character, the steering lacking just that last degree of clarity on turn in and the car favouring outright traction over hyper-agility. For many, this will be the perfect solution, but for those looking for something wilder still perhaps there’s room for a more aggressively set up model in the future…

Even so, the GR Yaris is the kind of hot hatch where you’ll struggle not to drive flat out everywhere, usually with a massive grin on your face. It’s also effortless everyday transport, and deeply cool if you know what you’re looking at. Job done, Mr Toyoda.

Price and rivals

Rivals are something the GR Yaris struggles to find. The current king of the small hot hatchback is the Ford Fiesta ST, which is cheaper but down on power and front-wheel drive only, although it’s soon to be joined by a tough competitor in the Hyundai i20N. At the other end of the size spectrum is the newly revised Honda Civic Type R, which is comparable to the Toyota on price but a very different - if equally impressive - car in character.

Link: https://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/gr-yaris 

Smiley

Posting an EVO five star rating and review is irrelevant.  Nberry gave us a zero star, POS rating.  That’s all that matters.  

CGX car nut:

Posting an EVO five star rating and review is irrelevant.  Nberry gave us a zero star, POS rating.  That’s all that matters.  

The GR just hasn't got that ""Starbucks"" factor, bud. That's the reason Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:
    CGX car nut:

Apparently a modest Toyota Yaris GR has been filmed overtaking a well-known 911 GT3 RS on the way to Starbucks...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

...look out for the driver in the GT3 RS...  Smiley

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5HymlvopgA

E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

↵

CGX car nut:

I understand the Yaris GR (for Gazoo Racing) won't be available in the USA in spite of demand (mostly verbally without a proof of real intention)  from groups of enthusiasts.

I suspect Toyota know very well that USA is the most demanding market in the world and they won't risk releasing something limited and patchy  like the Yaris GR, which at the same time is not inexpensive.

In Europe such cars are more acceptable because there has been a long tradition of tiny cars with sporting appeal since the 1960s, with Fiat 500/600 Abarth, various Renault Gordinis, early MINI Coopers, NSU TT/TTS, the original VW Golf GTI etc. etc.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    throt:
    CGX car nut:

Apparently a modest Toyota Yaris GR has been filmed overtaking a well-known 911 GT3 RS on the way to Starbucks...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

...look out for the driver in the GT3 RS...  Smiley

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5HymlvopgA

E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

reginos:
    CGX car nut:

I understand the Yaris GR (for Gazoo Racing) won't be available in the USA in spite of demand (mostly verbally without a proof of real intention)  from groups of enthusiasts.

I suspect Toyota know very well that USA is the most demanding market in the world and they won't risk releasing something limited and patchy  like the Yaris GR, which at the same time is not inexpensive.

In Europe such cars are more acceptable because there has been a long tradition of tiny cars with sporting appeal since the 1960s, with Fiat 500 Abarth, various Renault Gordinis, early MINI Coopers, NSU TT/TTS, the original VW Golf GTI etc. etc.

--

Good points. I would add that our regulations would require modifications of the vehicle which Toyota is hesitant to do since the demand for the car is almost non-existent in the US.Smiley

As for all the comments regarding me, I'm reminded of a phrase;

"You can always tell a visionary by the number of arrows in his back."Smiley

--

reginos:
    CGX car nut:

In Europe such cars are more acceptable because there has been a long tradition of tiny cars with sporting appeal since the 1960s, with Fiat 500/600 Abarth, various Renault Gordinis, MINI Coopers, NSU TT/TTS, the original VW Golf GTI etc. etc. 

--

I know exactly what the Yaris GR is and why it is a desirable vehicle amongst many enthusiasts.  It harkens back to the legendary Toyota Corolla AE86 and its hotter AE88 twin in North America from the 1980s.  If someone wanted to learn the art of driving, the AE88 was the car gain that experience.  Another great car from that era was the Nissan 810.  With a rear wheel drive platform and a manual transmission the Nissan was a drift king and every corner in the wet honed driving skills as the tail could delicately be flicked about the corner.  

That's the problem with today's cars.  They are too clinical and capable to help one deliver good car control skills.  Look at the results posted above where the Yaris GR with the competition pack equalled the time of the much faster Audi TT RS.  If Audi would move away from its highly clinical and risk adverse suspension settings for its performance products, they too would be among the greats as Audi did with the first generation R8.

What do you know... The Starbucks car and the driver's car side by side...

ACFAD0C1-5BBE-4C9B-B04A-2329EA66ED87.jpeg

--

Which is which?

Pentium:

What do you know... The Starbucks car and the driver's car side by side...

ACFAD0C1-5BBE-4C9B-B04A-2329EA66ED87.jpeg

I'm glad to see you're a man of action.

I sincerely hope it meets your needs and not cause you to regret your purchase.Smiley

--

Sorry to disappoint but it's not my garage. I bought indeed a GR Yaris but I don't own a Ferrari anymore.

And the Yarris so far didn't disappoint.

--

throt:
    CGX car nut:

Smiley Smiley

--

nberry:

A visionary would have laser beams in his back. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    nberry:

A visionary would have laser beams in his back. Smiley Smiley

You missed the point of the phrase.Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803906 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448717 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266312 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90155 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6735 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886045 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834189 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM