Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (EU 2019) - Short Review

Introduction: I always loved high performance SUVs, my first one was actually one of the first (affordable) available on the market, the infamous Mercedes ML55 AMG  with 355 hp V8 n/a engine. This car offered everything a family father wanted at that time. 

A few years later, I got myself the first Cayenne Turbo, even retrofitted the OEM Powerkit (500 hp, new brakes, etc.) to it and ended up with a (955) Cayenne Turbo S. I just loved the Cayenne. At that time, it was basically the sportiest SUV available on the market, it had no serious competition. Until the X5 M came...got one as well. Over the past couple of the years, I had many different SUVs but particularly one of them stack out of the bunch, the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2013). It was one of the most fun SUVs I ever owned, V8 6.4 l HEMI n/a engine and all but unfortunately also a car which always had some (smaller) issues, which were annoying.

I love sports cars but for daily commuting, traveling and family stuff, SUVs are still the best. I tried a couple of sedans, even had a station wagon for a month (test car) but always ended up with a SUV because they just offer that special drive feel no other family car can offer.  

A few months ago, I put my eyes on a Lamborghini Urus, I just love this SUV, drove it on a couple of occasions and I really think it is the best high performance SUV on the market right now. I couldn't justify the high lease cost of this car, over 3500 EUR per month and buying wasn't an option either at around 290-300k EUR for a well equipped car.

Then, I fell in love with the new G63. I always liked the G63 but the older one was a little bit too "raw" for me. The latest G63 version is an amazing off-roader/SUV, it sounds great and drives great. Unfortunately it doesn't fit my garage (height) but we would have found a solution for that. Since demand is very high for the G63, lease cost is also high. 2700 EUR per month was the offer, 2500 EUR after some negotiations. No thanks. Again too much for a daily driver/family car. 

One day, not long ago, I was driving past a local Fiat/Alfa Romeo/Jeep dealer which is only a couple of minutes away from my house. I stopped there because my son wanted to look at some cars. There it was in the showroom: The Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. In Redline red. It looked fantastic, that good old American fashioned SUV design, less aerodynamic than a wall unit. I am not a fan of all those sports car looking SUVs like the X6 M or Cayenne Coupe, I love the classic SUV/off-roader design, with the only exception being the Urus.

A little background story here: FCA made around 150 official 2018 Trackhawk and 100 official 2019 models for the German market. At total of 9 cars for the entire EU were in Redline red as far as I heard. So finding a brand-new 2019 (US 2020) EU car in Redline red at a local dealer next to my house is almost like winning the lottery.

The official price tag for the Trackhawk in Germany is around 132k EUR. The car is basically fully loaded, there are no options other than the color and the DVD entertainment system. There are grey imports available from various dealers but these are US cars and there is a strong rumor that Export cars for the EU had some minor hardware modifications as well, to improve cooling. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find these differences.
    Biggest advantage of official FCA EU cars: The warranty. The Trackhawk has a 2+2 years warranty in Germany. Also, FCA has huge spare parts storage facility in Europe, so parts can be delivered to official FCA dealers pretty fast.

Of course I got the car much cheaper, I leased it but the negotiated value of the car was 94k EUR instead of 132k EUR. The reason for this huge discount was simple: The color (most people buy darker colors), the engine type and fuel consumption and the fact that the car was registered to the dealership early October (so called "Tageszulassung"), so the dealership has a fiscal advantage. So I basically got an official EU car for the price of a grey import car.

Let's get to the car itself: 710 hp make the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk the most powerful standard production series SUV in the world. The 710 hp look and sound impressive but reality is, the Trackhawk weights around 2500 kg, so it needs all the power it can get. For comparison: A Cayenne Turbo is around 250 kg lighter than the Trackhawk.

The Trackhawk engine is the well known supercharged V8 6.2 HEMI engine (nicknamed Hellcat) used in many other FCA vehicles as well: Dodge Challenger and Charger SRT Hellcat incl. all the various Redeye versions and Demon, Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat and RAM 1500 TRX. Many of the Hellcat engines were tuned to 900, 1000 and even 1200 hp, they are considered to be very reliable and bulletproof (stock).

Sorry for the long introduction but many of you may not be into US cars or maybe you do not have experience with them at all, so I thought it might be interesting to provide a little introduction, so you understand why I chose the Trackhawk.

Here are my findings after driving 620 km in the Trackhawk. The break-in period is around 890 km, at 620 km I am permitted to do some full throttle runs but I am not permitted to drive faster than 136 kph. After 890 km, you can do everything with the car, just not track or drag racing it (after 2414 km you can do that as well):

- Surprising good interior and exterior built quality, especially compared to my former 2013 SRT. A lot has changed over the years but of course the Trackhawk is not at Mercedes/BMW level yet. Pretty close though.

- Engine is a treat, lots of (brutal) power, instant acceleration similar to an EV from a stop, unbelievable. Supercharger whine in the lower and mid rev range is a very nice additional treat but I switched the OEM air filter with a aFe sport airfilter inlay and this definitely made the supercharger whine louder. The Trackhawk has a Helmholtz resonator installed, which could be removed to improve the whine further but it isn't necessary in my opinion. 

- Auto gearbox from ZF shifts very fast and quite comfortable, same gearbox is used in other cars, like in the Rolls Royce Ghost for example.  

- Exhaust/engine sound is subtle when you do not press the throttle more than around 30-50%. At first, I was very disappointed because I thought there is not much sound. There is a noticeable V8 sound at idle when you turn on the engine but it is not too loud or even annoying. Once you fully press the throttle though, hell breaks loose. It is incredible how the sound changes from subtle V8 to infernal V8 racing sound. By infernal I mean all hell breaks loose infernal, it is unbelievable. I know that some Trackhawk owners add a sport exhaust or straight pipe the truck but I do not think this is a good idea, especially not in Germany. Me and the kids were thinking about a nick name for the Trackhawk and I think we found it. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. Smiley

- Chassis is similar to the engine, it changes with the driving (in Auto mode). Once you switch to Sport or Track, things change, the truck shows barely body roll and is surprisingly agile through twists and turns. We had bad weather over the past few days and I am running on winter tires (Pirelli PZero Scorpion Winter) but still, the traction is amazing and the chassis is really sporty for a 2.5 t SUV. In Auto mode, the ride is comfortable and quite nice, perfect for a daily driver. For some, it may still be too stiff but it is more comfortable than my GLC63 S AMG for example.

- Steering is a little bit indirect in Auto mode but becomes quite direct and sporty in Sport and especially Track mode. Maybe a little bit too direct for a 2.5 t truck but I never got the feeling that there is any danger of a rollover or something similar. Very good steering for such a truck.

- The Harman Kardon entertainment HiFi system with 19 speakers and 900 W is very good, I had to put the bass setting to the middle setting because there was just too much bass. It sounds very very good, can't say I have heard any car lately which has a similarly good sound.

- The touch operated navigation/infotainment system Uconnect with a 8.4'' display has a very nice resolution and is very bright. The software is very snappy, no lags (only if you start the performance pages) but the GUI looks a little bit outdated. The Navigation is based on TomTom, it works well but it looks outdated as well. There is a built-in fixed speed traps/speed cameras detector but unfortunately it does not work in Germany, only when the GPS detects that you are outside Germany. Bummer. Overall it is a nice system but nothing to write home about. Five years ago, it may have been the top of the line but now it is merely a "keeping up". It works well and snappy, like I said before but I guess it is time for something new. I love the Performance Pages which offer tons of detailed information about power, torque, oil temperature, water temperature, intercooler air temperature, gearbox temperature and tons of other temperatures and pressures, including boost pressure and what not. Amazing. 

- Interior room is amazing, very comfortable, kids love it. Wife loves it. My mother loves it (getting inside the truck is a different story for a 86 year old woman). Lots of luggage room as well and it is possible to slightly incline the rear seats backwards for better comfort. My GLC63 S doesn't have this feature. 

- The brakes are very good for such a heavy car, Brembo brakes with 400 mm discs in the front. Not even close to the Urus or Cayenne PCCB system but still a very good brake. The brake feel is firm and quite precise, it feels quite good. Will have to see how the brake behaves in summer and under more stress.

- Truck is fully loaded with options: Heated seats in the back, heated and ventilated seats in the front, panoramic glass roof, heated steering wheel and many many other things, tons of USB outlets as well, there is nothing you really miss.

Overall, I like this car a lot, the engine, the sound and the performance are the best parts though.

Unfortunately, there are also a couple of not so nice things about the Trackhawk but I think I can live with them:

- Heated and ventilated seats can be controlled through the infotainment system only, which is annoying. Same goes to the heated steering wheel. The worst part is: The driver's heated seat and the heated steering wheel are automatically turning on once the system "senses" a low outside and/or inside temperature. The steering wheel gets sometimes very warm, the heated seat sometimes very hot (there are two levels though). I do not know why it is sometimes hotter and sometimes less hot, it seems to do this by itself without any logic. Annoying. 

- Headlights are Bi-Xenon and not LED. At night and especially at night in bad weather, this can be annoying. It is not a big deal but the GLC63 S LED lights are really much better (brighter) in comparison. Another issue: When you turn on the windshield washers, the headlight washers go on as well, basically spraying your front and front hood with washing water plus antifreeze (now in winter), which doesn't always look so good on a newly washed car. Smiley

- Rear camera quality is really bad for a 2019/2020 car. Is it really so hard to switch the low res camera with a higher res camera? I haven't looked into it but I almost can bet that there is a better aftermarket solution available, hopefully as a plug'n play job. When it is dark, you can barely recognize something on the camera. The GLC camera display size is smaller but the resolution is good enough to even spot bicycles at night on the camera.

- Fuel consumption...I'm not even sure I should mention it. During break-in (driving slower than 116 kph), fuel consumption was around 15 l / 100 km. Acceptable but I heard horror stories about more than 30 l / 100 km during full throttle on the Autobahn, so... Smiley Average fuel consumption is definitely over 20 l / 100 km and now you probably understand why the Trackhawk isn't and wasn't a bestseller in Germany. 

- Maintenance: Every 6 months or 10000 km (what comes first). Maintenance cost isn't very expensive though as far as I understood.

- No simple tuning with "tunes" possible anymore. FCA has encrypted the PCM, you need to unlock the PCM to be able to run your own tune. Unfortunately this also means FCA can detect it. The good old times of Diablo and Co. handheld tuning devices are over, you need to unlock the PCM to be able to use them.

The interesting part: The same issues with heated seats/steering, washers and rear view camera were there when I had my 2013 SRT. Not sure what FCA is doing but they clearly concentrated more on performance and the engine than other (less important Smiley) comfort/safety stuff.

Conclusion: Amazing performance SUV but you cannot compare it to the Urus or the G63. You get what you pay for but the performance is really fantastic, off the line this 2.5 ton SUV jumps forward as if it is an EV, unbelievable. 

The Trackhawk is basically a muscle car disguised as a SUV. If you love muscle cars, you will love the Trackhawk as well. If you use the throttle gently, this can be an excellent daily driver but beware of the extremely high fuel consumption once you let the beast run.

For those interested: You can easily tune the Trackhawk to around 800 hp without even needing a tune. Just a few minor hardware mods. The next step would be unlocking the PCM (ECU), applying a tune, improve engine airflow (air filter), pulley, spark plugs, etc. and you get 900 hp. With a few other mods, incl. new injectors and some engine mods, you can achieve 1000 hp. For the next step, 1200 hp, more mods are necessary and E85 fuel. This is more interesting for those who love to drag race (seriously) the Trackhawk. I talked to my former Jeep dealer, who also tunes the HEMI engines and he told me that 900 hp are reliable and the gearbox can take them. Everything over 900 hp requires various mods, including the gearbox. It is even possible to get TÜV for the 900 hp tuning. The 900 hp tuning raises the Trackhawk to a E63 S AMG straight line performance level from 0-200 kph and 200 to 300 kph. Not bad for a 2.5 ton SUV. From the factory, the Trackhawk is limited to 289 kph top speed because of the tires. It is not recommended to remove the speed limiter because even the stock version would easily go over 300 kph. The ZF gearbox supports 900 Nm torque anyway (stock) but 10% more torque (up to 990 Nm) shouldn't be a major issue for it.

Enjoy the pics, sorry I didn't have the time for better ones.

1607348288384th8.jpg
    1607348288241th1.jpg
    1607348288377th6.jpg
    1607348288380th7.jpg
    1607348288356th4.jpg
    1607348288371th5.jpg
    1607348288330th2.jpg
    1607348288349th3.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Re: Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (EU 2019) - Short Review

Nice summary RC, many thanks.  I checked this vehicle locally, starts at the same price as my RR Sport V8, admittedly I  "only" have 510 HP.  indecision   I did drive LR's sort of equivalent, the SVR a while back - for me it was just too compromised in ride, seats were too hard, and loses much of the off-road capability in favour of being a highway stormer.  Too loud for me as well, just too "showy" not in a good way.  But I know you will enjoy this in the upcoming winter... looks like you have winter tires on already?   There is a very nice feeling in truly bad weather driving these cars - not overconfidence as is often accused of SUV drivers (maybe many just are poor drivers?) but just the feeling like the car is never really worried at all by road conditions - for a skilled driver this is a very nice feeling.  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

congrats Christian , this is an amazing SUV.

Congrats RC. Great color, same as I had on my 2014 SRT. Enjoy the car wink

slawekl:

congrats Christian , this is an amazing SUV.

Thank you. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

tso:

Congrats RC. Great color, same as I had on my 2014 SRT. Enjoy the car wink

Thanks. Smiley I am happy that the Trackhawk is not like my 2013 SRT, too many (mostly little) issues. Smiley

--

4trac:

Nice summary RC, many thanks.  I checked this vehicle locally, starts at the same price as my RR Sport V8, admittedly I  "only" have 510 HP.  indecision   I did drive LR's sort of equivalent, the SVR a while back - for me it was just too compromised in ride, seats were too hard, and loses much of the off-road capability in favour of being a highway stormer.  Too loud for me as well, just too "showy" not in a good way.  But I know you will enjoy this in the upcoming winter... looks like you have winter tires on already?   There is a very nice feeling in truly bad weather driving these cars - not overconfidence as is often accused of SUV drivers (maybe many just are poor drivers?) but just the feeling like the car is never really worried at all by road conditions - for a skilled driver this is a very nice feeling.  

90% of the typical luxury SUV buyers won't be happy with the Trackhawk. Someone said that you actually buy the engine only, everything else is just a bonus, a free giveaway. Smiley This person may be into something. Smiley

Truth is: The Trackhawk has not the Mercedes GLC63 S interior or exterior quality, this is a reality. It is a huge improvement over my 2013 SRT and by huge I mean huuuge but if you think that 7(!) years have passed and the car still has no LED headlights or still has a pretty much outdated interior (only the infotainment system has been improved with  a higher resolution display and a snappier CPU, it is from Panasonic now as far as I heard but the GUI still looks outdated as well), it is a shame. The tail lights have LEDs now but the headlights are still Bi-Xenon. The rear view camera seems to be still the one used seven years ago, what a shame. What does it cost to upgrade such a camera? A buck or two? Probably even less. The camera is in the "open", so I have to clean it all the time as well. The GLC camera retracts, so it stays clean. Just a few points.

Build quality has improved substantially over my 2013 SRT but this is no 132k EUR car, probably the reason why it never sold that well in Germany but it is also a reality that FCA brought only 250 cars to Germany in two consecutive model years. Not exactly a mass product. 

Long story short: This is not your typical family luxury SUV you can enjoy. It has some downsides, it is basically a 10(!) years old SUV with a monster engine and proper drivetrain. It feels that way, even if it drives like a modern SUV. 

People who are used to their Range Rovers and Cayenne and G class and even the latest Mercedes and BMW SUVs will probably not like how the Trackhawk looks and feels, especially when it comes to interior quality and style.

The Trackhawk is a SUV for people who want a monster engine in a daily driver with a lot of room for passengers and luggage. My wife said this is a men's SUV and I get her point, even if it may sound sexist (political correctness and all Smiley). She says the Trackhawk fits me well and makes a good addition to the Performante. I do not disagree but of course I would have preferred the Urus. The Urus on the other hand is not like the Trackhawk, the Urus is a highly refined super luxury and sporty SUV with a very very high quality level. The G63 sits somewhere between the Trackhawk and the Urus in my opinion. 

If performance and a monster engine are the most important things for you in a SUV, the Trackhawk is spot on. It is so easy to tune this car to 800-900 hp (not sure it makes sense though, US has speed limits and in Germany, fuel is too expensive to increase the already high fuel consumption of the Trackhawk by tuning it) and even 1000 hp are no real problem for the drivetrain, many many tuned Trackhawk in the US are the best proof for that.

The Trackhawk engine in a modern SUV like the latest BMW X5 M Performance would be fantastic. Then, you would have a dream engine in a fantastic SUV. 

Let's be real here: The supercharged 6.2 l HEMI engine in the Trackhawk, the Hellcat, is one of the most fantastic engines on this planet, it is a real treat. I am not exaggerating. The next best thing to a n/a engine with large displacement and lots of power. This is actually the engine AMG cars would deserve nowadays. Smiley 

--

You are absolutely right re. the tradeoffs, for equal money I much prefer the RR interior as it is a special place, I still get a nice supercharged V8 rumble, and the extra from the Hemi is hard to use here without autobahns...  but with your interior quality observations, don't forget that this Jeep, in its base form, starts here at equivalent EUR 30,000!  So Jeep needs to build in some cost cutting to presumably make some profit even on the cheapest Grand Cherokees.  And unfortunately even on your halo model, they just can't make all of this cost cutting disappear.  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

Hilarious car in 2020, thank god people still buy that. Thanks for taking the time for your extensive review. kiss

One thing I would struggle with is to accept the interior on US-cars, even high end ones like this one, they always end up feeling so generic somehow. But I agree you get a LOT in return, both in kg's as in hp's. smiley

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2020 Mercedes-AMG C63 / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

I bought the engine...well, for the most part. 😉

Yesterday evening, 2 deg C outside temp, damp road, fully fueled up, two persons, winter tires, no launch control:

0-100 kph in 4.0 seconds, 1/8 mile in 7.8 seconds.

Truck has only 640 km, will improve in performance once Jeep unlocks the launch control at around 881 km, especially after 1500 km (according to owners).

--

Glad you’re having a good time, great you’ve found something you enjoy so much!

mcdelaug:

Glad you’re having a good time, great you’ve found something you enjoy so much!

Let me put it this way: I will enjoy the Trackhawk much more than the alternative I was thinking about...Tesla 3 Performance, Tesla S Plaid, etc..  Smiley Like I said before, my favourites would have been the Urus and the G63 but for a daily driver and family mover, not worth it (financially). I just wanted something out of the ordinary before we are basically "forced" in a way or another to drive an EV or whatever.

--

thanks for the detailed review. It shows how much you like it ! Does the whole car shake when you push the throttle indecision

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Who is willing to take the over/under on the Trackhawk leaving the RC stable before the end of 2021?  Every one of his automobile infatuations start the same way before crashing into reality.  

Oh boy, based on your posts above, this SUV will not be in your garage very long. indecision

--

A good memory is fine but the ability to forget is the one true test of greatness.

I give it 6 months until that Jeep is dumped and burned in the forest indecision

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

congrats !

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

congrats !

Thanks. 😎

To the others who think the Trackhawk isn‘t here to stay: It is. 🤗

Remember the Performante? Still here. 😂

The Trackhawk is so much fun...we had snow yesterday and... 🤗

--

A short fun video...

https://youtu.be/_FX0X2Bqmrw

Keep in mind it is stock. 😎

--

That does sound brilliant.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

RC:
    intouch1:

congrats !

Thanks. 😎

If you were able to get a good lease deal on an Aventador SVJ, that Performante would be gone. 

CGX car nut:
    RC:
    intouch1:

congrats !

Thanks. 😎

If you were able to get a good lease deal on an Aventador SVJ, that Performante would be gone. 

When did I ever say I want an Aventador? I love this car how it looks (art) and I would probably own one if I had the money to own several sports cars at a time but I hate(d) driving it. No Aventador for me, sorry. Not the current generation at least.

I bought my dreamcar, sorry you couldn't buy yours. Smiley Smiley 

--

How long you plan to keep it?

wantone:

Lease is for four years and then I can decide if I want to buy it. Why so long? There is nothing in this price range which can or could (in the future) replace this monster, so I am happy I put my hands on a new one (you cannot imagine how often I was thinking about getting one but for 132k new? Too much.). 

I made my peace with the fact that I do not want to drive an EV right now. At some point in the future, we all are going to drive EVs, no need to do this now. Smiley

FCA will produce the Trackhawk with the Hellcat engine only in 2021 (same goes to the new Durango SRT Hellcat) and then...production ends. Hellcat engine bye bye...due to new emissions laws in the US starting 2022 (as far as I heard). All FCA cars need to be 50 States certified and apparently the Hellcat engine will not meet the requirements in 2022 anymore. I assume FCA will do at some point what Ford did with the Explorer ST and others, they will use bi-turbo charged V6 engines. I don't have a clue though.

--

In MY 2022, Jeep should introduce a new Grand Cherokee as well as its larger sibling, the Wagoneer.  That is why the engine is potentially ending production as it shifts to a hybrid configuration.  However, with Ford set to introduce a new 7.3l V8 for its F-150, it is conceivable that a tuned variant could make its way into the Mustang.  If that happens, FCA will develop a large displacement V8 competitor.   

RC:
    wantone:

Lease is for four years and then I can decide if I want to buy it. Why so long? There is nothing in this price range which can or could (in the future) replace this monster, so I am happy I put my hands on a new one (you cannot imagine how often I was thinking about getting one but for 132k new? Too much.). 

I made my peace with the fact that I do not want to drive an EV right now. At some point in the future, we all are going to drive EVs, no need to do this now. Smiley

FCA will produce the Trackhawk with the Hellcat engine only in 2021 (same goes to the new Durango SRT Hellcat) and then...production ends. Hellcat engine bye bye...due to new emissions laws in the US starting 2022 (as far as I heard). All FCA cars need to be 50 States certified and apparently the Hellcat engine will not meet the requirements in 2022 anymore. I assume FCA will do at some point what Ford did with the Explorer ST and others, they will use bi-turbo charged V6 engines. I don't have a clue though.

--

As I had mentioned in the other Trackhawk thread, I recently drove a Lincoln Aviator hybrid with the same engine as the Explorer ST that had a chip and was running higher ethanol gas which put out 625hp and 730 ft/lbs of torque. It was a monster and didn't make me yearn for a V8. My wife liked it so much she wants us to get rid of our X5. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Thanks for posting and congratulations. I had never paid attention to this model to be honest along with the entire Mercedes range for that matter angry. Huge amount of power. You don’t talk much about cornering which is a forte of the Urus. How much roll do you get?

crayphile:

Thanks for posting and congratulations. I had never paid attention to this model to be honest along with the entire Mercedes range for that matter angry. Huge amount of power. You don’t talk much about cornering which is a forte of the Urus. How much roll do you get?

Thank you. Smiley The Trackhawk is really something special but not comparable to the Urus I'm afraid. The Urus is a refined sports car SUV (probably a new category Smiley), the Trackhawk is that good old US monster SUV with more power than it can handle but quality is certainly not at Lamborghini level. 

Handling-wise, the Trackhawk is (for it's height, it has no air suspension, no adjustable swaybars or similar stuff, just adaptive shock absorbers from Bilstein) quite agile to my surprise, it has barely(!) body roll when going through twists and turns fast. When you drive slow, body roll is actually higher (probably due to the automatic adjustment of the Bilstein shock absorbers in auto mode...for comfort).

You can adjust the AWD, steering and traction control for track usage but the suspension does everything automatically  it seems (and it works quite well).

The steering is quite direct in track mode, not Urus like though. More like the Range Rover Sport SVR.

The most amazing (and at the same time dangerous) thing about the Trackhawk is the throttle response. It is amazingly direct and spontaneous but this could be a problem for many. The thing is: This is a 2.5 ton truck with a sports car like throttle response. Once the truck starts jumping forward, you also need to be able to stop it in time. Not a car for beginners I'm afraid, I will definitely let my son only drive it in Valet mode (200 hp only Smiley).

Long story short: This is a fun SUV which requires a couple of compromises. If you can live with them, it is an amazing fun truck. Smiley

--

CGX car nut:

In MY 2022, Jeep should introduce a new Grand Cherokee as well as its larger sibling, the Wagoneer.  That is why the engine is potentially ending production as it shifts to a hybrid configuration.  However, with Ford set to introduce a new 7.3l V8 for its F-150, it is conceivable that a tuned variant could make its way into the Mustang.  If that happens, FCA will develop a large displacement V8 competitor.   

The EPA does not do fuel ratings for heavy-duty trucks so there are no ratings, meaning: The n/a 7.3 l V8 for the F-150 isn't an environmental issue (yet). I kind of doubt that they are going to supercharge or add turbo chargers to this engine for other cars because this would require a tremendous development effort to meet a 50 States certification for 2022 and later.

My (German) dealer has been told by FCA Europe that he shouldn't expect any high powered V8 engines for the Jeep model line anymore in the future. He thinks that even the SRT won't survive with a V8. More likely, the next Jeep GC generation will be based on the Alfa Romeo Stelvio platform and use similar engines to lower cost. Ford did the same with the Explorer and Expedition and I have to admit that I liked the Expedition Max we had two years ago during a US trip, 400 (I think) hp from a Bi-Turbo V6, not bad at all but...no proper exhaust sound either.

It doesn't matter (anymore) what (some) customers or even car manufacturers want: Emissions standards are getting tougher and tougher to meet, high displacement engines are a thing of the past I'm afraid, even supercharged/turbo charged ones. The EU just has decided to introduce much tougher emissions standards for 2030, standards which are basically impossible to meet with combustion engines. Even the Euro 7 emissions standard is tough for car manufacturers and it starts in 2025.

Car manufacturers in Europe and in the US won't produce cars for the EU and California only, they will build cars which are certified for the EU and all 50 US States.

Another EU problem many may do not know: The EU wants to forbid individual acceptance/certification of vehicles, meaning that some Tuners or even exclusive car manufacturers will have difficulties to get their products certified. 

Another thing which will disappear is apparently also the exemption for low production numbers manufacturers. 

Sorry to say this but I think dinosaurs like the Trackhawk or all those Hellcat and Shelby Mustang, etc. cars are a thing of the past. RIP.

--

RC:
    CGX car nut:

The EPA does not do fuel ratings for heavy-duty trucks so there are no ratings, meaning: The n/a 7.3 l V8 for the F-150 isn't an environmental issue (yet). I kind of doubt that they are going to supercharge or add turbo chargers to this engine for other cars because this would require a tremendous development effort to meet a 50 States certification for 2022 and later.

My (German) dealer has been told by FCA Europe that he shouldn't expect any high powered V8 engines for the Jeep model line anymore in the future. He thinks that even the SRT won't survive with a V8. More likely, the next Jeep GC generation will be based on the Alfa Romeo Stelvio platform and use similar engines to lower cost. Ford did the same with the Explorer and Expedition and I have to admit that I liked the Expedition Max we had two years ago during a US trip, 400 (I think) hp from a Bi-Turbo V6, not bad at all but...no proper exhaust sound either.

It doesn't matter (anymore) what (some) customers or even car manufacturers want: Emissions standards are getting tougher and tougher to meet, high displacement engines are a thing of the past I'm afraid, even supercharged/turbo charged ones. The EU just has decided to introduce much tougher emissions standards for 2030, standards which are basically impossible to meet with combustion engines. Even the Euro 7 emissions standard is tough for car manufacturers and it starts in 2025.

Car manufacturers in Europe and in the US won't produce cars for the EU and California only, they will build cars which are certified for the EU and all 50 US States.

Another EU problem many may do not know: The EU wants to forbid individual acceptance/certification of vehicles, meaning that some Tuners or even exclusive car manufacturers will have difficulties to get their products certified. 

Another thing which will disappear is apparently also the exemption for low production numbers manufacturers. 

Sorry to say this but I think dinosaurs like the Trackhawk or all those Hellcat and Shelby Mustang, etc. cars are a thing of the past. RIP.

--

One of the stupidest thing they do.Smiley

Heavy trucks uses the most fuels and they are the most polluting, but no, EPA go after the little guys instead, all those tiny 2.0L and such.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689596 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409240 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255752 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234998 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858000 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774054 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM