Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

Hope you are enjoying your weekend!  The little model3 will top out at 165mph which is not that fast but it gets there in the same gear it used off the line so it is pretty relentless. Stay warm up in Canada 🇨🇦. 

US investigating possible suspension failures on 115,000 Tesla vehicles

According to an announcement on Friday, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA) said a probe was launched into two Tesla models after 43 complaints were received.

The NHSTA will now start investigations  into the 2015 - 2017 Model S Sedan and 2017 Model X SUVs, which were  reported to have unsafe suspension systems.

Some  32 owners complained that the suspension, allowing contact between the  tyre and wheel liner, had failed on roads at low speeds.

At  the same time, 11 Tesla owners reported suspension problems on roads  while travelling above 10 mph, and four at highway speeds.

Topspeed:

US investigating possible suspension failures on 115,000 Tesla vehicles

According to an announcement on Friday, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA) said a probe was launched into two Tesla models after 43 complaints were received.

The NHSTA will now start investigations  into the 2015 - 2017 Model S Sedan and 2017 Model X SUVs, which were  reported to have unsafe suspension systems.

Some  32 owners complained that the suspension, allowing contact between the  tyre and wheel liner, had failed on roads at low speeds.

At  the same time, 11 Tesla owners reported suspension problems on roads  while travelling above 10 mph, and four at highway speeds.

Let’s be real. They are looking at two model years no longer for sale. 46 incidents with no injuries at low speeds. (Most likely due to drivers curbing cars). Tesla will fix any parts they find and newer parts have been installed for years now. What a scandal that an automaker after a few years discovered that a part may not be strong enough in rare cases. 
    I don’t see them refusing to make repairs nor do I see any deliberate attempt at cutting costs and making an unsafe product on purpose. If anything this is textbook response to an engineering issue which would make current and future owners happy.  I have had far worse issues with Porsche engines to the tune of $10,000’s. 

For a very balanced look at the Model 3 Performance, the Savage Geese guys  have done an excellent job yesterday.  Neither fan-boy praise nor criticism for the sake of it - hard to find with something as polarizing as Tesla. 

To short-cut to their interesting take on this car, their Final Thoughts start at 20:35  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_oevLs3iU

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

Seems balanced, and his final thoughts help make it understandable why so many people love or hate the model 3

Nice review and lots of what he said about it being disposable is true. For sure. Sadly it is also clear that like many other reviewers he really did not know much about the car. He was not using the latest self driving beta for one thing. The extra $10k for full self driving was $5k a year ago and will keep going up. It will also be available by subscription which makes more sense. All model3 already have all the required hardware and sensors. He is wrong when he thinks the $10k includes extra hardware.  It is not that the $55 k car has the same interior as the $38k car. It is that they are both identical except for the extra motor and bigger battery. Similarly the dual motor and performance model are identical except for the brakes and wheels.  These are just marketing and engineering differences we are not used to.  The buyer of the cheaper car wins in this case. Why complain about that.  Then there is the usual complaint that common controls are only on the touch screen. Nothing could be further from the truth. All common controls are either on the wheel or on the control stalks.  The temp controls are front and center along the bottom of the center screen and are all available via voice control and via smartphone anywhere in the world.  Nothing could be simpler in terms of common controls. Of course the cars does millions of other things which can’t possibly be controlled via old fashioned buttons. These are all functions other cars don’t even do so what is the point?  Again - it would help if reviewers were more familiar with the car. Same with acceleration - seems he did not go past 100.  Since it has one gear and a .23 drag cd it actually pulls hard all the way up to 165 and hits it quickly.  Note the mention of overbuilt suspension components- again the same ones used in the $38k car and the performance model.  
    The the wind noise - since that is all you hear I get that it is audible. I would be curious how loud it is in db on the highway vs an ICE car. 
    I guess I have been lucky with build quality. Mine is a rattle free vault. 
    These were build while Tesla was fighting to stay alive. Imagine how they will do with capital backing them. Stay tuned 

Leawood911:

Nice review and lots of what he said about it being disposable is true. For sure. Sadly it is also clear that like many other reviewers he really did not know much about the car. He was not using the latest self driving beta for one thing. The extra $10k for full self driving was $5k a year ago and will keep going up. It will also be available by subscription which makes more sense. All model3 already have all the required hardware and sensors. He is wrong when he thinks the $10k includes extra hardware.  It is not that the $55 k car has the same interior as the $38k car. It is that they are both identical except for the extra motor and bigger battery. Similarly the dual motor and performance model are identical except for the brakes and wheels.  These are just marketing and engineering differences we are not used to.  The buyer of the cheaper car wins in this case. Why complain about that.  Then there is the usual complaint that common controls are only on the touch screen. Nothing could be further from the truth. All common controls are either on the wheel or on the control stalks.  The temp controls are front and center along the bottom of the center screen and are all available via voice control and via smartphone anywhere in the world.  Nothing could be simpler in terms of common controls. Of course the cars does millions of other things which can’t possibly be controlled via old fashioned buttons. These are all functions other cars don’t even do so what is the point?  Again - it would help if reviewers were more familiar with the car. Same with acceleration - seems he did not go past 100.  Since it has one gear and a .23 drag cd it actually pulls hard all the way up to 165 and hits it quickly.  Note the mention of overbuilt suspension components- again the same ones used in the $38k car and the performance model.  
    The the wind noise - since that is all you hear I get that it is audible. I would be curious how loud it is in db on the highway vs an ICE car. 
    I guess I have been lucky with build quality. Mine is a rattle free vault. 
    These were build while Tesla was fighting to stay alive. Imagine how they will do with capital backing them. Stay tuned 

You mean the ones that keep breaking or missing bolts and nuts? Smiley

You 'addition' here is why most people hate Tesla fans. it is like they simply cannot take half an oz of criticism. There is no 'fair' reporting unless the reporting paint a rosy picture of a Tesla.  

Not his fault that Tesla keep jackign up the price of a software feature than they have yet to deliver. Btw, subscription model is the worse end user model there is. Instead of buying something outright, someone is forced to 'rent' something. 

Tesla using a touch screen to control everythign is not a user centric feature, it's a cost cutting feature. One screen with all virtual buttons is much cheaper than placing buttons that cost something each. Porsche is guilty of that too in the Taycan. You cannot have a worse control interface in a moving automobile than touch screens. Just look inside your car, if touch screen is really that much better than physical buttons, then your steering and gas an brake control would have been on the touch screen. 

Tesla built most of their cars in ONE way without regards of content is simply to cut cost. The only want to pump out as many car a possible to make Elon's quarterly target in rover to prop up the stock price. It's quicker for workers to assemble the same thing over and over again instead of having them customized individually. Even his initial vision of using only robots to built cars was for cost purposes and nothing else. He found out the hard way that it doesn't work, he almost killed the company all together.

Sorry to be so direct, truth hurts. 

--

I have no idea why you are so threatened by my honest reply. No idea.  Tesla makes horrible cars. Yup. You can do it much better. There is no need to actually read my words. Lol. 
    you should really charge Elon and all those Tesla drivers you hate with such a passion rent in your head!   How funny. 
    You sound totally unhinged. Going on about robots being no good and such.  Thanks for making my Sunday. 

Tesla like-for-like sales volume growth is NEGATIVE in Europe...  BF822CAF-50E5-4C47-9B23-F36F9B8F5A9C.gif

...it looks like the increasing competition in EV sales is putting Tesla growth at risk? Smiley 

Leawood911:

I have no idea why you are so threatened by my honest reply. No idea.  Tesla makes horrible cars. Yup. You can do it much better. There is no need to actually read my words. Lol. 
    you should really charge Elon and all those Tesla drivers you hate with such a passion rent in your head!   How funny. 
    You sound totally unhinged. Going on about robots being no good and such.  Thanks for making my Sunday. 

Leawood, I wish you could hear yourself...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

You do realize most Tesla fans cannot hear or see themselves. They think other rues don't apply to them and other are not allow to use their rules either.

--

Boxster Coupe GTS:

...it looks like the increasing competition in EV sales is putting Tesla growth at risk? Smiley 

but this is totally predictable, right?

every car manufacturers are making EV, there will be too many choices to pick from in 3-5 years time, at more competitive prices.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S;  2019 Speedster

Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

You do realize most Tesla fans cannot hear or see themselves. They think other rues don't apply to them and other are not allow to use their rules either.

Do you realize that all I did was agree with the review and then included additional facts. I did not personally attack the writer or anyone on this forum.  Ridiculous that I can’t point out that the windshield washer controls are right there on the turn signal stalk.  How does my reply in any way warrant the personal attack which was totally ignorant of facts?  
    Maybe I’m not the problem.  People who can’t read are. 
    One of the facts is that if you buy the base model you still get all the self driving hardware and the glass roof.  They simply take a different approach which does not milk the customer and adds value.  If you only want to hear bullshit and not the truth then keep on shutting down anyone who tried to educate you about facts.  What on earth do I have to gain by arguing with a bunch of Tesla haters who don’t understand or process basic information form me without calling me names.  Is that asking too much?  Seriously - you all always claim I take these posts personally but you ignore the content which directly attempts to belittle me and pretend I’m in some cult.   
    Not to mention how spectacularly wrong some of you have been about predicting Tesla’s success. Laughable that some need to attack me for their failures to understand Tesla. 
    Anyway - you guys can have this thread back. I will just watch and amuse myself with your one sided analysis.  

Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

Did you read my reply earlier?  What are the rules?  You need to address some Elon insecurities. 
    Silly arguments deserve major sarcasm 

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

Do you realize that all I did was agree with the review and then included additional facts. I did not personally attack the writer or anyone on this forum.  Ridiculous that I can’t point out that the windshield washer controls are right there on the turn signal stalk.  How does my reply in any way warrant the personal attack which was totally ignorant of facts?  
    Maybe I’m not the problem.  People who can’t read are. 
    One of the facts is that if you buy the base model you still get all the self driving hardware and the glass roof.  They simply take a different approach which does not milk the customer and adds value.  If you only want to hear bullshit and not the truth then keep on shutting down anyone who tried to educate you about facts.  What on earth do I have to gain by arguing with a bunch of Tesla haters who don’t understand or process basic information form me without calling me names.  Is that asking too much?  Seriously - you all always claim I take these posts personally but you ignore the content which directly attempts to belittle me and pretend I’m in some cult.   
    Not to mention how spectacularly wrong some of you have been about predicting Tesla’s success. Laughable that some need to attack me for their failures to understand Tesla. 
    Anyway - you guys can have this thread back. I will just watch and amuse myself with your one sided analysis.  

Hmm. what you you wrote isn't objective facts. They are more along the lines on apologetical on Tesla's behalf. To explain away Tesla's perceived shortcomings, or more like trying to spin those into something else.

Like for example on 'auto pilot' prices. A simple price statement is enough, there is no need to say anything about cheaper if you do this or that or you missed the boat etc. It is the current price, done. Just like a '8 yr old' Model S is still a current car as Tesla is still selling them. 

And I am not the only one with that opinion of you.Literally you are the only one who can't see what we, as a whole community, can see. it's one reason I keep asking you to take s step or two back and have a look first. 

It's very different than say someone accuse Porsche of not providing enough range on the Taycan as a EV. Porsche from the beginning clearly stated the Taycan is a Porsche first, an EV second. They are not aiming for ultra range, and no matter what EPA rated them, they don't really care, cause in the real world people are smashing the EPA estimate no matter what. Very unlike none of the Tesla can match the range and fans have to come on board and explain or even imagine a scenario that the phantom range can be achieved. 

--

I’m sorry. Please tell me exactly what I can and can not say without everyone here thinking I am a cult member.  This is fucking ridiculous.  
    I point out that all common controls are at hand which does not suit your ‘idea’ of how a Tesla works so I am some crazy nut job for not letting you spin fancy tales or relentlessly for shot me.  Nuts to you. Again - read which parts I agreed with and the tiny bit of clarification I added which was all 100% factual.  I know better than to ever go beyond facts here. What I don’t like is when you pretend you can’t read or put words in my mouth. Everyone here can see this as well. We are all pretty certain you are highly jealous that of Elon at this point. How does it make you feel when I speak for all of us and pretend there is something wrong with you?  Some type of Uber bully training you?  Lol. Maybe get over it. Don’t take out your frustrations on everyone who enjoys his cars.  Maybe accept that we don’t all need a 918 parked in a garage. 

I did not even mention the silliness of spending twice as much for a fraction of a second of speed. Or that my model3 would smoke your Taycan in a straight line or corners. ( you switched to talk about your parked 918 being faster ). Without me even mentioning range (because like autopilot and cost and better tech these would be ‘Tesla Talking points’ meant to just infuriate all on this board) you launch in apologies in advance for why Porsche range does not matter.  Talk about someone who is avoiding every objective fact and then gaslights everyone here.   
    I doubt everyone here thinks of me a some cult member. Frankly I really and obviously don’t give a flying fuck what you claim people think of me.  You are welcome to think as little as usual of me.   It can’t help your insecurities. If I had any I would not be wasting my time pointing out your silly behavior. 

This is a forum about people who enjoy cars. I have never tried to convince someone that they are wrong if they enjoy anything. If they like it and say nice things I listen and accept that they had a good experience.  If someone who saves and works hard buys a car they enjoy I am happy for them. I am here to listen to the fun people have with this hobby. I am not here to make someone feel bad for liking something.  It don’t get the point of trying to make a car owner feel bad for his enjoyment.  You have to be pretty fucked up to get up every morning and look to piss on someone’s point of view.  But you know me - I will play your silly game  

Buy a Trackhawk and enjoy life. Smiley  It is too short for driving an EV...which we will probably be forced to drive anyway in a couple of years. Smiley

See what I did here? Trackhawk in the Tesla thread, I'm on a roll. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Leawood911:

I’m sorry. Please tell me exactly what I can and can not say without everyone here thinking I am a cult member.  This is fucking ridiculous.  
    I point out that all common controls are at hand which does not suit your ‘idea’ of how a Tesla works so I am some crazy nut job for not letting you spin fancy tales or relentlessly for shot me.  Nuts to you. Again - read which parts I agreed with and the tiny bit of clarification I added which was all 100% factual.  I know better than to ever go beyond facts here. What I don’t like is when you pretend you can’t read or put words in my mouth. Everyone here can see this as well. We are all pretty certain you are highly jealous that of Elon at this point. How does it make you feel when I speak for all of us and pretend there is something wrong with you?  Some type of Uber bully training you?  Lol. Maybe get over it. Don’t take out your frustrations on everyone who enjoys his cars.  Maybe accept that we don’t all need a 918 parked in a garage. 

I did not even mention the silliness of spending twice as much for a fraction of a second of speed. Or that my model3 would smoke your Taycan in a straight line or corners. ( you switched to talk about your parked 918 being faster ). Without me even mentioning range (because like autopilot and cost and better tech these would be ‘Tesla Talking points’ meant to just infuriate all on this board) you launch in apologies in advance for why Porsche range does not matter.  Talk about someone who is avoiding every objective fact and then gaslights everyone here.   
    I doubt everyone here thinks of me a some cult member. Frankly I really and obviously don’t give a flying fuck what you claim people think of me.  You are welcome to think as little as usual of me.   It can’t help your insecurities. If I had any I would not be wasting my time pointing out your silly behavior. 

This is a forum about people who enjoy cars. I have never tried to convince someone that they are wrong if they enjoy anything. If they like it and say nice things I listen and accept that they had a good experience.  If someone who saves and works hard buys a car they enjoy I am happy for them. I am here to listen to the fun people have with this hobby. I am not here to make someone feel bad for liking something.  It don’t get the point of trying to make a car owner feel bad for his enjoyment.  You have to be pretty fucked up to get up every morning and look to piss on someone’s point of view.  But you know me - I will play your silly game  

You are reasonable and fine on other topics, but you simply cannot stand anything that's not positive about Teslas. Maybe you can't notice it yourself, but everyone else can.

Mike owns a few Teslas, but he is nowhere close to acting like you did on Tesla topics.

--

You are reasonable and fine on other topics, but you simply cannot stand anything that's not positive about Teslas. Maybe you can't notice it yourself, but everyone else can.

Mike owns a few Teslas, but he is nowhere close to acting like you did on Tesla topics.

I think some of the same things that @Leawood911 writes and don't feel the necessity to pile on what he wrote.

Should I start piling on?

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

W8MM:

I think some of the same things that @Leawood911 writes and don't feel the necessity to pile on what he wrote.

Should I start piling on?

I think hs is feeling a lot better now that you have said something, he won't feel he is alone on the island now SmileySmiley

--

I'll join Mike and Leawood on that island :)

schmoell:

I'll join Mike and Leawood on that island :)

Need a pharmacist and doctor on that island? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Isn't this wonderful we all living in a free world? Everyone can have their opinions and express them, there is no one voice to rule them all.

btw, I will volunteer to be the antagonist on the island just to keep it fun for everyone smiley

--

Whoopsy:

Isn't this wonderful we all living in a free world? Everyone can have their opinions and express them, there is no one voice to rule them all.

btw, I will volunteer to be the antagonist on the island just to keep it fun for everyone smiley

Smiley At least it won't get boring. Smiley

--

Bigger question is, is Elon allowed on the island with his party drugs 

On another note, Elvis have left the building. Elon moved his residency to Texas from California.

One of many. In the last few months, I have had quite a few friends who are in the tech industry moved to Texas from San Francisco, Palo Alto, and surrounding area. More doing the move after the new year still. While Elon publicly says it's for overseeing his factory, the real reason is tax. He is too public a person to state that publicly and egg on California. 

--

Somehow, watching this is like watching a Tesla go on Autopilot.

On paper, things seem so easy, just let the computer take control of doing stuff, flying a rocket, landing rocket, driving a car, etc. It's just input and output stuff. But that theory only works inside a lab environment where every variables are controlled. That doesn't happened in the real world and hence human inputs are needed to adjust for all sorts of variables, some can be predicted some can't, it's all from experiences and one can only program so much into a computer.

Eventually though, I think we will get there. Having unmanned rockets heading to the moon or Mars or whatever and set up bases. Then have his robots build factories over there and start star hopping. 

--

Only works in a lab environment

Whoopsy:

Bigger question is, is Elon allowed on the island with his party drugs 

On another note, Elvis have left the building. Elon moved his residency to Texas from California.

One of many. In the last few months, I have had quite a few friends who are in the tech industry moved to Texas from San Francisco, Palo Alto, and surrounding area. More doing the move after the new year still. While Elon publicly says it's for overseeing his factory, the real reason is tax. He is too public a person to state that publicly and egg on California. 

Elon can bring his rockets to play but his drugs need to stay home. Smiley

Oh boy, I just realized how this sounds.  SmileySmiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763675 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436067 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260844 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257812 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82569 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

875028 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808429 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM