Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Toyota Yaris GR

After seeing the comparison with the Honda Civic R, I'm not sure I really want one anymore. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:

After seeing the comparison with the Honda Civic R, I'm not sure I really want one anymore. Smiley

So a '' rally'' type car is all about straight line drag racing SmileySmiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Surprised at his binary logic? yes

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2020 Mercedes-AMG C63 / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

Yeah I don’t get Christian’s logic either. Please explain?

Porker:

Surprised at his binary logic? yes

Oh boy...here we go again. I am not surprised by your comment, this is for sure. Maturity comes with age, you're not there yet. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Gnil:
    RC:

So a '' rally'' type car is all about straight line drag racing SmileySmiley

Who was talking about performance? Smiley I meant "Japanese", "rice burner", "sound"...not really my thing and I realized it in comparison to the Honda (which is even less "my thing"). This isn't my "car world", my thing. Sorry. Smiley I just realized this after watching the video. 

--

Fair enough. But why don’t you go take a look at one and drive it. You might have a different opinion. 

WAY:

Fair enough. But why don’t you go take a look at one and drive it. You might have a different opinion. 

I will definitely drive one (dealer here is not very cooperative, big Toyota dealer, more interested in selling business cars than Yaris GR Smiley) but that video vs. the Honda Civic R put me off in a way I cannot really explain. I just think this isn't the right car for me but I will give it a chance. Smiley

--

RC:
    WAY:

I will definitely drive one (dealer here is not very cooperative, big Toyota dealer, more interested in selling business cars than Yaris GR Smiley) but that video vs. the Honda Civic R put me off in a way I cannot really explain. I just think this isn't the right car for me but I will give it a chance. Smiley

Having 3 cylinders, it does not strike me as an RC car Smiley

Smiley Smiley It is not about 3-cylinders, I can't explain it but the video just put me off. Reminded me of some kids driving some rice burners, I don't know, just not my thing. Maybe I'm getting too old for this sh.t. Smiley

--

RC:
    WAY:

Much better explained now Smiley Don't look at the car, even less at the inside . Just drive it Smiley

But I can understand it is not your type of car. It is not my wife's type either, and I have done everything I can to convince her Smiley

--

I’ve never owned a Japanese car, because I’ve always had issue with the less solid feel of a Japanese car. But the Yaris is very different. Having driven one I love how rock solid it feels, more so than any of its Euro competitor.  The interior is plain and very simple, but I don’t care about that stuff. To me it’s the driving experience that I care most otherwise I would be driving a A45S instead of M2C as my daily. This is also why I’ve had cars like Megane Trophy-R, and Mini GP as my daily drivers. My city daily has to be small, fast and fun. Beyond that it doesn’t really matter how it looks on the inside. After all, all RT members most likely have other luxury family cars and higher end sports car in their garage anyway. 

Here’s a review I don’t understand. What was his conclusion?

https://youtu.be/qvu80R1qZkI

WAY:

I’ve never owned a Japanese car, because I’ve always had issue with the less solid feel of a Japanese car. But the Yaris is very different. Having driven one I love how rock solid it feels, more so than any of its Euro competitor.  The interior is plain and very simple, but I don’t care about that stuff. To me it’s the driving experience that I care most otherwise I would be driving a A45S instead of M2C as my daily. This is also why I’ve had cars like Megane Trophy-R, and Mini GP as my daily drivers. My city daily has to be small, fast and fun. Beyond that it doesn’t really matter how it looks on the inside. After all, all RT members most likely have other luxury family cars and higher end sports car in their garage anyway. 

I’m with Way 100%

I bought one for me. Just for me. It’s a cheap toy (compared with a GT3) that I can keep for a longer time and have fun without ending up in jail. I don’t care at all on how people will perceive me or this car or me in conjunction with this car.

Life is short. I will not waste time and energy considering how people perceive my hobby.

--

There is no try. Just do.

WAY:

Brilliant dynamics, pricing is good given the package on offer, seating way too high, gearshift a standout feature for a car in this class, very mechanical. Smiley

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2020 Mercedes-AMG C63 / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

WAY:

Interesting, as we have had at least one Japanese car in our 3 car fleet for almost 20 years, all of them Subaru. They serve as city car, with winter tires an unstoppable winter rally car for our 5 month winter (hence the importance of full time AWD), repeated trips to my wife's farm property (all gravel roads).   At one time we had a Subaru plus 2 BMWs, the Subie was by far the most solid feeling of the three, way better than my 328.  So "less solid feel" is not something we have ever been aware of at least with Subarus.  Some rental Nissans etc, yes they felt cheaper.  Hopefully the Yaris, with rally superstars helping develop it, is Subaru-level solid.... Smiley

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

4trac:
    WAY:

Interesting, as we have had at least one Japanese car in our 3 car fleet for almost 20 years, all of them Subaru. They serve as city car, with winter tires an unstoppable winter rally car for our 5 month winter (hence the importance of full time AWD), repeated trips to my wife's farm property (all gravel roads).   At one time we had a Subaru plus 2 BMWs, the Subie was by far the most solid feeling of the three, way better than my 328.  So "less solid feel" is not something we have ever been aware of at least with Subarus.  Some rental Nissans etc, yes they felt cheaper.  Hopefully the Yaris, with rally superstars helping develop it, is Subaru-level solid.... Smiley

Yeah, my Evo with 3 LSD’s (front torque biasing, center electronically controlled, and rear clutch type like 911) and Nokian snow tires is a monster in the snow.  My only Japanese car ever and one of the most reliable and capable.

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

WAY:

in a nut shell: "Very amazed on this "race dwarf" - seemingly a lot of fun, quote: It is NOT a tweaked road car put into racing but a race car set up for road driving"!

Good night ! Smiley

Thank you Porker and d997h. The usual praise for the GR Yaris then! Aside from something like a GT3, I can’t think of another car that has received such universal praise!

4trac:
    WAY:

Perhaps solid isn’t the right word. All the Japanese cars I’ve driven have been very light feeling and often “tinny”. Mind you I’ve mainly driven Japanese rental cars like Corolla and Camry, although a good friend had an Integra Type R (DC2)  during uni days and another had a S2000 in later years which I adored. 

WAY:

Thank you Porker and d997h. The usual praise for the GR Yaris then! Aside from something like a GT3, I can’t think of another car that has received such universal praise!

Well, there was one car that received more praise then and won ECOTY too indecision

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

bluelines:
    WAY:

Well, there was one car that received more praise then and won ECOTY too indecision

You too scared to enlighten us, buddy Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

bluelines:
    WAY:

The mighty 981 GT4...Smiley

Blueflame

blueflame:
    bluelines:
    WAY:

The mighty 981 GT4...Smiley

Blueflame

Haha that’s ok. I own the mighty 981 GT4 so all good. In saying that I do recall universal complain of the gearing on that car and it certainly didn’t get full marks from every review either. Also, GR Yaris may win the eCOTY just yet as it’s in the final. 

bluelines:
    WAY:

makes the GT4 suddenly an overpriced non sense Smiley

--

Gnil:
    bluelines:
    WAY:

Smiley

Gnil:
    bluelines:
    WAY:

Smiley Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Toyota reveals Aussie-designed GR Yaris AP4 rally car

It has been developed and built in-conjunction with factory-backed outfit Neal Bates Motorsport, who competes in the Australian Rally Championship as the Toyota Gazoo Racing Australia rally team.

The rally car is set to debut in the 2021 Australian Rally Championship season, where two examples will be campaigned by Toyota Gazoo Racing Australia factory drivers and siblings, Harry and Lewis Bates.

throt:
    Gnil:
    bluelines:
    WAY:

Smiley Smiley

A tough crowd those Toyota fanboys Smiley Before you know it they will show up in a Prius with rally stickers, “GAZOO Racing” emblems and dummy Hella headlights.

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803013 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448493 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266024 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90014 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6496 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885565 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832945 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM