Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016)

bluelines:

You ordered a diesel? Nu får du för f-n skärpa dig! yessmiley

Förlåt....!frownfrownfrown ( means I'm sorry in Swedish) 

But.... There's more to come, so bear with me.... smileyBut I do understand your reaction, it's totally inline with my own and believe or not, I was sober

And as Sci said, it is kind of boring compared to the GT cars, so why not try a diesel?

And if I'm lucky I get the money back and more when diesel gate II hits the market....

The farmer:

Got a call from my dealer today and actually surprised myself in ordering a DIESEL Panamera...!angel Have not even looked at the configuration tool yet, but told the dealer to spec it and get us in the line. Will sit down late August to specify the car so there is still lot of time to learn moresmiley

Expected delivery January which suits me fine. Will drive my GT3 during summer early fall,, The Panamera TS late fall and then try my new winter car in the very hard winter conditions up here in the northpool area indecision

But honestly, I'm still a bit worried about my choice of a diesel. But what's the worst that can happen? I drive it through the winter and then change to something else (TS when it comes?) and in 1 1/2 years time the real fun cars starts rolling in to my car pool, fingers crossed kiss

Congrats on the order! The diesel will be great! And keeping in mind your rationale that it is an easy swap to P TS (or something else) when available it makes perfect sense. 850nm in the diesel will give the car a nice punch for a daily driver and compensate for the lack of high-rev fun Smiley. Did you consider the Turbo at all?
    Btw, I also had a chat with my dealer (probably the same as yours based on your location Smiley) but I decided to pass at this point. The car is too big for my needs Smiley

Great video by Autogefühl showing a lot of details inside and out of the new Pana. Worth a watch for those interested in more details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3fVCavzcEk

apias:

Interesting tech to bring down "normal" fuel consumption. I assume it's always the same 4 cylinders that shut down, keep running. I wonder how this affects break in, wear and performance over time. Has anyone driven one of these engines and, if so, are you able to comment on how it performs switching from 4 back to 8 cylinders when needed?

My last Audi S8 has the feature. Unless I am looking at the dash display, I have no idea it is running on 4 cylinders. 

--

The GMC big SUV have had that for many years, seamless...

I wonder how many hp we could expect from Turbo S and Hybrid versions?

P.S. Here is additional photo, showing Panamera with AutoBild journalist. It shows how rear end is beautifully crafted.

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Milanno:

Based on the "old" versions, ~600 for the Turbo S would seem an easy guess.

Nope, didn't feel right to "downgrade" from what I have today. 4,8L 570 hp down to 4,0L and 550hp was a no no for me yes

apias:
    Milanno:

I heard rumors about 550 hp + 136 hp (hybrid)..... But who knowsheartcheeky

The farmer:

Nope, didn't feel right to "downgrade" from what I have today. 4,8L 570 hp down to 4,0L and 550hp was a no no for me yes

The Panamera Turbo (non-S) is increased from 520hp to 550hp (despite loss of 800cc).  570hp was the power of the previous Turbo S and it will be increased also to ~600hp.

The V6 in the 4S lost 100cc, but gained 20hp

Sounds like you need to wait for the Turbo S for a power upgrade (though I doubt you'd feel the loss of 20hp at that power level and the handling seems like the big improvement)...

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    The farmer:

The Panamera Turbo (non-S) is increased from 520hp to 550hp (despite loss of 800cc).  570hp was the power of the previous Turbo S and it will be increased also to ~600hp.

Sounds like you need to wait for the Turbo S for a power upgrade (though I doubt you'd feel the loss of 20hp at that power level and the handling seems like the big improvement)...

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

The questions was if I had considered a turbo when ordering the new diesel. Since I have a TS today, I compared the turbo figures with my current TS i.e "downgrade". Therefore I chose to try the diesel now and see if I like it as a winter dd car and in one years time, when the new TS will be launched, I will take a new decision.indecision It's a huge difference between the diesel and my current TS, but honestly, I don't use very much of the TS power in the daily driving. A ordinary day, when i look at my average speed during my traveling to and from work, it usually ends up with 22 km/h..... heart

When I bought my first PTS I used it on track as well as a dd, but not anymore. Now I track my GT car and have the Panamera as a dd during winter, so..... Now I'm going to try to build me a comfy, nice looking dd with some capabilities for a nice ride, wether it is a short drive to work or  longer trips trough Europe. The fun, challenging drives will be done with other cars kiss

The farmer:
    Grant:
    The farmer:

--

The questions was if I had considered a turbo when ordering the new diesel. Since I have a TS today, I compared the turbo figures with my current TS i.e "downgrade". Therefore I chose to try the diesel now and see if I like it as a winter dd car and in one years time, when the new TS will be launched, I will take a new decision.indecision It's a huge difference between the diesel and my current TS, but honestly, I don't use very much of the TS power in the daily driving. A ordinary day, when i look at my average speed during my traveling to and from work, it usually ends up with 22 km/h..... heart

When I bought my first PTS I used it on track as well as a dd, but not anymore. Now I track my GT car and have the Panamera as a dd during winter, so..... Now I'm going to try to build me a comfy, nice looking dd with some capabilities for a nice ride, wether it is a short drive to work or  longer trips trough Europe. The fun, challenging drives will be done with other cars kiss

The diesel is probably an excellent choice if you do a lot of longer trips in this car. The low fuel consumption (if you drive smoothly but still quick) will also mean you have to refuel only every 1000km or so. I am a diesel fan for long-distance cruisers I have to say.

The farmer:
    apias:
    Milanno:

I heard rumors about 550 hp + 136 hp (hybrid)..... But who knowsheartcheeky

Let's hope they will build a performance hybrid based on the new V8.

A Turbo SH?

The farmer:

The questions was if I had considered a turbo when ordering the new diesel. Since I have a TS today, I compared the turbo figures with my current TS i.e "downgrade". Therefore I chose to try the diesel now and see if I like it as a winter dd car and in one years time, when the new TS will be launched, I will take a new decision.indecision 

OK, sounds like a good plan Smiley

--

In Germany, I would be careful with buying a Diesel right now. There are plans to basically ban Diesel cars from city centers...actually not a direct ban but a ban based on a certain emissions classification, one that even modern Diesel cars have difficulties to meet.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Great to hear! Finally the World is coming back to sense! Smiley

dxpetrov:

Great to hear! Finally the World is coming back to sense! Smiley

In Germany, the Diesel is extremely popular and most people have serious issues with understanding the difference between CO2 and NOx. One reason why many Germans don't understand all that fuss about VW's Dieselgate in the US. It is difficult to explain to people why their favorite engine type and government sponsored Diesel fuel are "suddenly" harmful to the health. Long story short: The Diesel is still extremely popular over here and any attempt to make it disappear will be met with great resistance from the population. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

SERIUS WARNING!

Had a quick look at the configurator today (slow day at work. Thank you Brexitindecision) and saw a serius attempt to rip me off. In the Swedish configurator the Burmester has gone from 4.700 euro one year ago to 7.500 euro today.....!

60% up in one year in a non inflation market??!!!mail

I will look in to this regarding all non included items when I spec the car in August. Don't know if this just concerns the Swedish market, but be aware....heart

By the way, what's the price for a Burmester in the German configurator ?

In the US configurator, it's $5,935.

In the German, it's 5.331,20 €.

Oops, sorry, that was for the Turbo, for the diesel, German configurator, 6.747,30 €

700hp hybrid Panamera?

http://www.motor1.com/news/64590/second-gen-panamera-hybrid-to-step-above-turbo/

RC:

In Germany, I would be careful with buying a Diesel right now. There are plans to basically ban Diesel cars from city centers...actually not a direct ban but a ban based on a certain emissions classification, one that even modern Diesel cars have difficulties to meet.

Good points there RC! I am really interested to see what they plan to do with hybrid models. Petrol engine (440 hp) + electric (+/- 100 hp) could be best buy combination for Panamera. I know this will not be the case, but Turbo S as hybrid would be insane (500 hp V6 petrol engine + 100 hp electric)!

--

Milanno:
    RC:

Good points there RC! I am really interested to see what they plan to do with hybrid models. Petrol engine (440 hp) + electric (+/- 100 hp) could be best buy combination for Panamera. I know this will not be the case, but Turbo S as hybrid would be insane (500 hp V6 petrol engine + 100 hp electric)!

--

Big government, through regulation and taxation, created the demand for diesel automobiles and when big government changes its collective mind the consumer is left to shoulder the burden of the costs.  

Milanno:
    RC:

--

Why would you handicapped a performance car with such an engine? THat's called stupid.

600HP 4.0L V8 Twin Turbo WITH hybrid would be the proper way. The hybrid will help lower the emission of the big engine while also adding performance, inline with the 918 and 919, the hybrid system is a power adder, not a power handicapper. 

--

What's the total torque (ICE+F&R electric) figure for the 918, for comparison? The article linked to above, which predicts 700 hp (600+100), also predicts 800 lb-ft of torque total.

(It also predicts a shooting brake (confirmed, apparently), and rumors (unconfirmed) a coupe and cabriolet, the cab presumably based on the coupe(?).)

Whoopsy:

Why would you handicapped a performance car with such an engine? THat's called stupid.

600HP 4.0L V8 Twin Turbo WITH hybrid would be the proper way. The hybrid will help lower the emission of the big engine while also adding performance, inline with the 918 and 919, the hybrid system is a power adder, not a power handicapper. 

Those are tuff words for civilized conversation Smiley I mentioned V6 because I am not sure there is enough space left for electrical stuff with V8 under the hood. Also, knowing Porsche, there is no way you will get new Panamera Turbo S with more than 600 hp. Thats why I aimed on V6 + electric to get just around 600 hp that is much more realistic than crazy numbers like 650 hp or even 700 hp Smiley 

Well, maybe if they do a Turbo S, and a Turbo SH (Turbo SHe?) above it.

Then I will stick to my coming diesel until they launch the extreme Panamera S LMP1, that is rumored being developed right now together with NASA.....

Milanno:
    Whoopsy:

Those are tuff words for civilized conversation Smiley I mentioned V6 because I am not sure there is enough space left for electrical stuff with V8 under the hood. Also, knowing Porsche, there is no way you will get new Panamera Turbo S with more than 600 hp. Thats why I aimed on V6 + electric to get just around 600 hp that is much more realistic than crazy numbers like 650 hp or even 700 hp Smiley 

Smiley

The 4.0L V8 has much head room that's for sure. It is also more compact and don't forget, the new Panamera is riding on a brand new platform.

The new Panamera Turbo is already at 550HP, not too much to expect the Turbo S to be around 580HP, that's well within striking distance of 600. Out going Turbo was 520HP, Out going Turbo S was already at 570HP. 

The rear e-motor of the 918 is rated at 154HP, Porsche probably will not use that one, but the ones in the current Panamera and Cayenne e-hybrid is rated at 95HP, that's very likely the one Porsche will fit onto the car. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM