Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020)

A 911 Speedster with a 500hp engine and PDK and with the size of a 964/993---------- I don't want a topless Kim K.

--

reginos:

The 992 is not so much larger in terms of length (+3cm) and overall width (+5cm) than the 991, but it is wider at the waist and this might give the impression of a bloated car to some people who criticize the design. The front and rear fenders are wider to accommodate the wider front and rear axle tracks (for better turn-in and grip) and as a consequence the middle section has grown to give harmonious proportions. A typical application of "form follows function".

Having said that, IMO the 992 design looks very fresh and attractive and the increase in size is not extreme compared to other cars on the roads today. Even humans have grown taller and bigger in the years since the 60s when the first 911 came out.

The 992, with its new proportions is the most colour sensitive of all the 911 versions. I've seen yellow and it is a definite NO-NO. White is also not the best colour and SIlver is borderline acceptable. Agate grey suits the shape very much as does Aventurine Green.

The Turbo is more suited to the new design IMO and contrary to the Carreras, Silver looks very attractive on that model.

The Carrera models look better with the Sport Design Package that gives modified bumpers front and rear.

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

I believe that's a wrong assessment. The growth in width of the middle section is not due to wider front/rear track. The form follows function part is more about the function to accommodate fatter and fatter drivers and passengers. Nothing more.

IMG_5059.jpg

Look at this comparison between a 930 turbo vs a 992 turbo. In the 930 a clearly defined 'waist' is there. the front and rear track to middle ratio is much bigger than the 992. 

In the 992 the 'waist' has practically disappeared. 

34-24-36 is very attractive, but a 40-38-50 isn't, it's just fat. 

--

Tim:

GT3 Touring Cab - is this really becoming a reality? Or just wishful thinking... .

Reality as far as I heard. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Whoopsy:
    reginos:

The 992 is not so much larger in terms of length (+3cm) and overall width (+5cm) than the 991, but it is wider at the waist and this might give the impression of a bloated car to some people who criticize the design. The front and rear fenders are wider to accommodate the wider front and rear axle tracks (for better turn-in and grip) and as a consequence the middle section has grown to give harmonious proportions. A typical application of "form follows function".

Having said that, IMO the 992 design looks very fresh and attractive and the increase in size is not extreme compared to other cars on the roads today. Even humans have grown taller and bigger in the years since the 60s when the first 911 came out.

The 992, with its new proportions is the most colour sensitive of all the 911 versions. I've seen yellow and it is a definite NO-NO. White is also not the best colour and SIlver is borderline acceptable. Agate grey suits the shape very much as does Aventurine Green.

The Turbo is more suited to the new design IMO and contrary to the Carreras, Silver looks very attractive on that model.

The Carrera models look better with the Sport Design Package that gives modified bumpers front and rear.

I believe that's a wrong assessment. The growth in width of the middle section is not due to wider front/rear track. The form follows function part is more about the function to accommodate fatter and fatter drivers and passengers. Nothing more.

Indeed that was my point above about humans getting bigger not only cars.

IMG_5059.jpg

Look at this comparison between a 930 turbo vs a 992 turbo. In the 930 a clearly defined 'waist' is there. the front and rear track to middle ratio is much bigger than the 992. 

The 930 as well as the SC/Carrera versions of that body look really attractive even today. In the picture above the 992 is in the least complimentary colour. Yellow exposes its considerable mass next to the lithe 930 in a darker hue.

I had a 911SC as a classic alongside a 986 Boxster S for some years. I remember that in the small body of the SC, I always felt very exposed and vulnerable at high speeds of say 200 km/h and above whereas even the 986 felt a very secure place to be.

In conclusion higher speeds require bigger bodies but the 992 is somewhat OTT.....until we get used to it.

--

Don’t overlook safety, comfort and engine size reasons for wider body 911’s.

--

A good memory is fine but the ability to forget is the one true test of greatness.

nberry:

Don’t overlook safety, comfort and engine size reasons for wider body 911’s.

...and space for those large gold wheels Smiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

reginos:
    Whoopsy:
    reginos:

Indeed that was my point above about humans getting bigger not only cars.

IMG_5059.jpg

The 930 as well as the SC/Carrera versions of that body look really attractive even today. In the picture above the 992 is in the least complimentary colour. Yellow exposes its considerable mass next to the lithe 930 in a darker hue.

I had a 911SC as a classic alongside a 986 Boxster S for some years. I remember that in the small body of the SC, I always felt very exposed and vulnerable at high speeds of say 200 km/h and above whereas even the 986 felt a very secure place to be.

In conclusion higher speeds require bigger bodies but the 992 is somewhat OTT.....until we get used to it.

--

Agree and as the global market for Porsches increases, those decisions factor more and more into the product specifications.  

Guess the racing Porsches, like the RSR, are made for fat drivers

Wonderbar:

Guess the racing Porsches, like the RSR, are made for fat drivers

Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

BiTurbo:

This picture really hurts... Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    BiTurbo:

At least, during 964 era, they were able to aligned fenders, hood and bumper...Smiley

911 is not supposed to look like a square, weird to see the front as wide as the rear Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

irisO03RWDZQ.jpg

--

The true proportions of the 992.

the-missile:
    Rossi:
    BiTurbo:

At least, during 964 era, they were able to aligned fenders, hood and bumper...Smiley

911 is not supposed to look like a square, weird to see the front as wide as the rear Smiley

That picture does sum up the numerous changes made to the 911 as almost everyone screams that each model update is nothing more than evolutionary.  That’s radical change and the designer successfully have retained the element that make it a 911 to most people cognizant of the car. 

Even in our twenties, when we were thin and fit, my brother and I would touch elbows in his 911SC. A lot of the width increase has to do with safety regulations relating to side intrusion.

reginos:

irisO03RWDZQ.jpg

--

The true proportions of the 992.

Like I said, 40-38-50. Far cry from a 34-24-36

--

Rossi:
    BiTurbo:

Topspeed:
    Rossi:
    BiTurbo:

Pretty sure Porsche can chop at least 2 inches of width in the middle while maintaining the wider front and rear track and the car will be just as safe. Same with taking away a couple inches of rear leg room. 

--

that's exactly why I had taken these pics of my targa:

IMG_0356.jpeg

IMG_0696.jpeg

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

that's exactly why I had taken these pics of my targa:

IMG_0356.jpeg

IMG_0696.jpeg

It really is amazing how much bigger cars have grown.

If Porsche really wants to, they can make a 911 that size again, modern advancement in steel quality is the key. Many small compact are smaller than a 992, yet they can still pass crash tests. So the argument about needed a bigger car for crash structure is complete BS.

Cars only got bigger because people in their primary market got fatter and fatter. 

I fit into my 3.6 just fine, with plenty of room to spare, and none of my friends complained about they can't fit into it either. And it fit inside the footprint of my Exclusive completely.

--

The new Alpine is an example that a modern car can still be of small dimensions.

I think that people want bigger cars because they associate size with safety. Also managers like them because it is easier to work with them.

And now the video!

The pattern is full...

https://youtu.be/UFtqqHgIjBs

DJM48:

And now the video!

The pattern is full...

I do over 320 kph (speedo reading) almost every weekend on a public road (Autobahn), no helmet. Smiley Smiley

Such marketing videos work only in speed limited countries. Smiley

--

RC:
    DJM48:

And now the video!

The pattern is full...

I do over 320 kph (speedo reading) almost every weekend on a public road (Autobahn), no helmet. Smiley Smiley

For how long can someone maintain such speeds? Given the volume of  traffic and a general sense of risk -free or even low risk driving.

I suppose it is not easy to find a deserted Autobahn and perfect road conditions very often..

--

reginos:
    RC:
    DJM48:

And now the video!

The pattern is full...

For how long can someone maintain such speeds? Given the volume of  traffic and a general sense of risk -free or even low risk driving.

I suppose it is not easy to find a deserted Autobahn and perfect road conditions very often..

--

To drive these speeds "safely", you cannot have traffic around. Meaning: I pass single cars at this speed but not cars driving one after each other (more than one car) because I am afraid they could change the lane. Lately, I actually drive over 280 only, if there is no other car around.

I can do "safely" 240-280 in normal traffic but again, I do not pass at these speeds if there is more than one car on the lane I pass. Usually I keep it under 220 or so when I pass but I am very very cautious and concentrated, just in case. 

Our normal cruising speed on the Autobahn is 160-180 kph, maybe close to 200 kph sometimes. 

As to how long I can drive over 300 kph on the Autobahn? Well...this is an issue. I am lucky if I can reach over 330 (speedo) in my Performante before I have to brake again. I once did 337 kph (speedo) for maybe a couple of seconds but this happens very very rare, usually almost impossible.

I do not drive these very high speeds at night (many actually drive that fast mostly at night) because it is too dangerous. Yes, there is less traffic but just imagine an animal (a small cat can already cause disaster at over 300 kph) or maybe a stone or whatever. At that speed... Smiley Only daytime.

Best time to drive these speeds in Germany: Early Sunday mornings. Just make sure you choose an Autobahn with no known wild animals crossing. You don't want to hit a deer at 300 kph. Smiley 

Also very important: Tire pressure! The car needs to be in perfect technical condition as well.

--

I once hit a rabbit while breaking driving very fast at night. I remember freezing my hands on the wheel at 256km/h precisely. I just saw the silhouette of the rabbit. I caught him mid jump, in the air, all legs extended. The image remained imprinted in my head.

All the lower part of the front bumper was split like it was cut by a magic sword. Rabbits part everywhere, including a dent in the 911 front trunk. I got lucky that night. I think I lost the front license plate too...

--

There is no try. Just do.

RC:
    reginos:
    RC:

--

To drive these speeds "safely", you cannot have traffic around. Meaning: I pass single cars at this speed but not cars driving one after each other (more than one car) because I am afraid they could change the lane. Lately, I actually drive over 280 only, if there is no other car around.

I can do "safely" 240-280 in normal traffic but again, I do not pass at these speeds if there is more than one car on the lane I pass. Usually I keep it under 220 or so when I pass but I am very very cautious and concentrated, just in case. 

Our normal cruising speed on the Autobahn is 160-180 kph, maybe close to 200 kph sometimes. 

As to how long I can drive over 300 kph on the Autobahn? Well...this is an issue. I am lucky if I can reach over 330 (speedo) in my Performante before I have to brake again. I once did 337 kph (speedo) for maybe a couple of seconds but this happens very very rare, usually almost impossible.

I do not drive these very high speeds at night (many actually drive that fast mostly at night) because it is too dangerous. Yes, there is less traffic but just imagine an animal (a small cat can already cause disaster at over 300 kph) or maybe a stone or whatever. At that speed... Smiley Only daytime.

Best time to drive these speeds in Germany: Early Sunday mornings. Just make sure you choose an Autobahn with no known wild animals crossing. You don't want to hit a deer at 300 kph. Smiley 

Also very important: Tire pressure! The car needs to be in perfect technical condition as well.

-kiss

--

Pentium:

I once hit a rabbit while breaking driving very fast at night. I remember freezing my hands on the wheel at 256km/h precisely. I just saw the silhouette of the rabbit. I caught him mid jump, in the air, all legs extended. The image remained imprinted in my head.

All the lower part of the front bumper was split like it was cut by a magic sword. Rabbits part everywhere, including a dent in the 911 front trunk. I got lucky that night. I think I lost the front license plate too...

Smiley I hit a rabbit at 110 kph once in an old BMW 3 series, the whole front bumper was damaged and I had huge issues exiting the country (Eastern Europe), even with a diplomatic passport. Why? At that time, such accidents needed to be reported to the police (there was no town near by and no smartphones or cell phones) and I didn't get the chance to do it. No report, no exiting the country. I was lucky, the consular officer at duty vouched for me, so a phone call did the trick. Smiley

--

I hit a muntjac deer in a Z3. Amazingly little damage to the front but a mess at the back where it exited. 

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, X3 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

I hit a muntjac deer in a Z3. Amazingly little damage to the front but a mess at the back where it exited. 

What do you mean? Where the Z3 exited the deer? Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409636 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255918 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235163 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65630 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858328 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774569 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM