Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: Dreamcar is back in a Porsche!!

Congrats! It’s a real beauty and the sweet spot in the 911 range.
    I’ve been eyeing one myself but unfortunately it makes zero sense to get a 911 at this stage in my life. laugh

Tim:

I’ve been eyeing one myself but unfortunately it makes zero sense to get a 911 at this stage of my life. laugh

Thank you, yes it is a great car and seemingly undervalued, here in the used U.K. the  T’ is priced no higher than the normal Carrera. 
    To be honest it probably doesn’t make much sense buying a 911 at my time of life either, but sometimes ( too many times perhaps in our case) your heart has to rule your head. I said when we purchased our Boxster GTS five years ago that would almost certainly be our last sports car, but now we’ve bought another. Much more  likely that this will really be our final sports car though. Smiley

--

Porsche 991/2 Carrera T Jet Black metallic / VW Golf GTI 5dr DSG Tornado Red

Can’t wait to see what Porsche model suits you five years from now cool

Enmanuel:

9935A0F9-A525-4D13-AA7A-6C6FA62F21F3.jpeg

--

dreamcar:
    Enmanuel:

9935A0F9-A525-4D13-AA7A-6C6FA62F21F3.jpeg

Smiley Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Tim:

I’ve been eyeing one myself but unfortunately it makes zero sense to get a 911 at this stage in my life. laugh

Tim- I kept looking at your post as it sounds quite sad.Smiley

I don't know how old you are.  My feeling is if I can still drive at 75 or 80, I definitely will still want to be in a 911.

At this age, I will have too much free time to drive, and if I don't spend my money, my kids will, so why not.

BTW, it makes zero sense for anyone to be driving a sport car within the city anyway.  Don't treat them as car, but toy.  Cannot use logic to justify buying a toy.Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S;  2019 Speedster

Targa Tim:
    Tim:

Tim I kept looking at your post as it sounds quite sad.Smiley

I don't know how old you are.  My feeling is if I can still drive at 75 or 80, I definitely will still want to be in a 911.

At this age, I will have too much free time to drive, and if I don't spend my money, my kids will, so why not.

BTW, it makes zero sense for anyone to be driving a sport car within the city anyway.  Don't treat them as car, but toy.  Cannot use logic to justify buying a toy.Smiley

Well that makes Tim x 3 as I’m a Tim too! Smiley

Myself, I’m now retired and I like to think I’m going to enjoy the fruits of my 45 years of labour working on ships (as an engineer) and in shipyards. I now have the time and opportunity to properly enjoy life. Part of the decision to go for a 911 was SWMBO was finding the Boxster increasingly uncomfortable, and I couldn’t find any other car with the right balance of comfort, quality and driver enjoyment. She also liked the 997/2 Carrera S we had a few years back, but strangely I never really gelled with that particular car. When we saw and drove this T we both immediately sensed it was the perfect car for us.  Another significant factor was the death of my closest friend earlier this year, reminded me that there are no guarantees of how much longevity and good health we will get. Of course I could have made much more money if I had invested the money I have spent on cars over the years, purchased a larger home etc but acquiring wealth has a diminishing priority as one gets older, and quality of life becomes much more important 

--

Quality of life...well said. Very important. Smiley

So sorry that the pandemic has hit you hard but like my old man always used to say: "After rain comes always sunshine" and he was right. Smiley  Smiley

Soon everything will be back to normal. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:

Quality of life...well said. Very important. Smiley

So sorry that the pandemic has hit you hard but like my old man always used to say: "After rain comes always sunshine" and he was right. Smiley  Smiley

Soon everything will be back to normal. 

Thanks RC Smiley One upside of this crap year, when life returns to normal we will appreciate many aspects of life that up until this year we have perhaps taken for granted Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    but acquiring wealth has a diminishing priority as one gets older, and quality of life becomes much more important 

well said, I've come to the same conclusion at my age even! Smiley

I'm a bit of an odd ball in that I for example I'm not retired, I'm in my 40's but I like to spend Wednesdays with my wife, something inconceivable by most, I could work instead and earn more money but will that money make me happier instead? There is a point of diminishing returns and we tend to not stop to realise that, we are geared to work as much as you can to acquire as much wealth as you can without thinking of the balance... the thing is you don't get those years back later! not with all the money in the world.

On the other hand, I don't plan to retire at 65, I plan to keep working for as long as I can, just that will be less and less hours, but not working at all would not make me happy either, what I do makes me feel good. So the balance will just shift.

Some may not agree but that is how I see it.

Of course many people are not as fortunate as us to be able to choose how much they work and need to work many hours and be away from the family just to make ends meet at the end of the month, or some people are in a stage in their life where they haven't formed a family yet and focusing on stabilising financial success for later on is what is important then, or some people don't even need to work and are set, but I never understood those who are reasonably well off economically but spend most of their time working just to have a better car or better home or better whatever, and sacrifice actually "living" those years, doesn't make sense to me. You can't control how long you are going to live (or your loved ones!) or what health you will have to enjoy the last years.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

I'm a bit of an odd ball in that I for example I'm not retired, I'm in my 40's but I like to spend Wednesdays with my wife, something inconceivable by most, I could work instead and earn more money but will that money make me happier instead? There is a point of diminishing returns and we tend to not stop to realise that, we are geared to work as much as you can to acquire as much wealth as you can without thinking of the balance... the thing is you don't get those years back later! not with all the money in the world.

Very wise Smiley

I have a similar setup. I am also in my 40s, work Monday to Thursday and off every Friday. This is my "daddy day", taking care of the boys. As you wrote, you don't get those years back later.

Here is from early this morning, we found sunshine above the fog, checking out a horse stable nearby. Freezing cold, but a spectacular view.

IMG_3837.JPG

IMG_3844.JPG

Sorry Dreamcar for hijacking your thread Smiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

acquiring wealth has a diminishing priority as one gets older, and quality of life becomes much more important 

DC this really resonated with me. I still enjoy the intellectual challenge of solving a tough case at work, but that’s the strongest motivator for working by far. And quality of life itself becomes more difficult to define, when all needs and most wants are met... Spending time with loved ones, learning new things or refining one’s skills in some hobby dominate my thoughts these days...

Smiley Smiley

I'm not a nature type of guy (unless there is a beach, hot weather and an ocean near by Smiley) but spending time with the kids? Priceless. 

--

Targa Tim:
    Tim:

Haha - I'm alright. I'm in my early 30s. 
    I came really close to buying a lightly used 991.1 Carrera S about 4 years ago (in hindsight it was a steal), but pulled out at the last minute as I thought this was the prudent thing to do. I earn good money, but I'm not rich by Rennteam standards. One year later I got the chance to get a brand new Cayman as a company car - I drove this thing 3 years and close to 60k all around Europe - and loved it even with its rattly engine. Smiley
    But the lust for a 911 remained. This summer I got my first kid, so swapped the sports car for a family SUV. I barely drive this thing, so don't really see much sense in getting a second car I can only drive every now and then. That doesn't stop me from eyeing the market though... .
    There will be another Porsche in my garage at some point in time - I just hope it will still have a 6-cylinder engine.

Upcoming emission laws and the push towards strict speed limits definitely don't favor me waiting for too long (thought I would end on a sad note again). Smiley

bluelines:
    Carlos from Spain:

Very wise Smiley

I have a similar setup. I am also in my 40s, work Monday to Thursday and off every Friday. This is my "daddy day", taking care of the boys. As you wrote, you don't get those years back later.

Very commendable Smiley

Here is from early this morning, we found sunshine above the fog, checking out a horse stable nearby. Freezing cold, but a spectacular view.

Beautiful scenery Smiley

--

Tim:
    Targa Tim:
    Tim:

Haha - I'm alright. I'm in my early 30s. 
    I came really close to buying a lightly used 991.1 Carrera S about 4 years ago (in hindsight it was a steal), but pulled out at the last minute as I thought this was the prudent thing to do. I earn good money, but I'm not rich by Rennteam standards. One year later I got the chance to get a brand new Cayman as a company car - I drove this thing 3 years and close to 60k all around Europe - and loved it even with its rattly engine. Smiley
    But the lust for a 911 remained. This summer I got my first kid, so swapped the sports car for a family SUV. I barely drive this thing, so don't really see much sense in getting a second car I can only drive every now and then. That doesn't stop me from eyeing the market though... .
    There will be another Porsche in my garage at some point in time - I just hope it will still have a 6-cylinder engine.

Upcoming emission laws and the push towards strict speed limits definitely don't favor me waiting for too long (thought I would end on a sad note again). Smiley

Ha Ha Tim, from the way you wrote I thought you are older and unable to drive a 911 Smiley

You are much younger than most of us.  Keep working hard and you for sure will get back into a 911.

Tim (Dreamcar), I am happy for you with driving the T now.  I will do exactly the same.

I am mid fifty now, economically very stable, but still working 5.5 days per week.  Yes I enjoy seeing and treating my patients.  It is my social life too.  I do not have to work so much for the money, but my solo GP practice is just too big.  If I take a day off, patients will either page me, or I will suffer the next day.  My exit plan is to wait for my daughter to join me in a few years so I can switch into part time mode, and then I plan to keep working for a while as I like my work.Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S;  2019 Speedster

Very wise men here in Rennteam, we're in good companykiss

Great to hear that you love your work, Tim. Smiley Most doctors I know here in Germany hate their work (now even more than before) and want to get out as soon as possible. Smiley My wife loves her work a lot but some patients often make it very difficult for her, especially now during the pandemic. 

--

I wonder if Dreamcar picked Wednesday because it’s hump day?  Good for you.

I’m an anomaly in my family as I’m 57 and not considering retirement. My parents and grandparents all stopped working at 40 or sooner.  I love my work and solving complex problems - getting paid well is a bonus - being around brilliant coworkers is priceless.  Since March I have been working from home and managing my team remotely. It feels like retirement and I could get used to this. I don’t think think going back to the office will happen. Flexibility is now a given so working from the lake or Europe is like a vacation. I already have a quicker internet connection waiting for me in Soto Grande. 

Leawood911:

I wonder if Dreamcar picked Wednesday because it’s hump day?  Good for you.

I’m an anomaly in my family as I’m 57 and not considering retirement. My parents and grandparents all stopped working at 40 or sooner.  I love my work and solving complex problems - getting paid well is a bonus - being around brilliant coworkers is priceless.  Since March I have been working from home and managing my team remotely. It feels like retirement and I could get used to this. I don’t think think going back to the office will happen. Flexibility is now a given so working from the lake or Europe is like a vacation. I already have a quicker internet connection waiting for me in Soto Grande. 

Actually collected the car on a Thursday - but hey ho....Smiley

Went for our first half decent drive in the T this morning, just 40 miles or so, to visit an arboretum and garden centre (permitted under Lockdown rules). A grey cold day, so took no photographs, but just underlined what an amazing car the T is, really content we made the right choice!! SmileySmiley

--

I meant that Wednesday is the day you spend with your wife. Hope she does not read that your mind is only on the T. Lol. 

Leawood911:

I meant that Wednesday is the day you spend with your wife. Hope she does not read that your mind is only on the T. Lol. 

The one with the Wednesdays with the wife would be me Leawood, dreamcar is retired so any weekday can be... as you called it, humpday indecision

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

The one with the Wednesdays with the wife would be me Leawood, dreamcar is retired so any weekday can be... as you called it, humpday indecision

Smiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

My bad. Too many replies to pull the treads apart correctly.  
    everyday should be hump day - 19 year age diff keeps me young (explains why I’m too tired to shift gears anymore)

Leawood911:

Smiley Smiley Smiley I well and truly missed that ball! Smiley  No routines now we’re retired so we just take surprises as they come these days ! Smiley

--

It's sunny today. 

Pics please!

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, X3 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

It's sunny today. 

Pics please!

Not today I’m afraid - too much other stuff on! Plenty of future opportunities. Smiley I never used to understand how retirees used to say that they wonder how they ever find time to go to work - now I’ve joined them I know! Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    bridggar:

It's sunny today. 

Pics please!

Not today I’m afraid - too much other stuff on! Plenty of future opportunities. Smiley I never used to understand how retirees used to say that they wonder how they ever find time to go to work - now I’ve joined them I know! Smiley

Make sure there is a meeting slot for us, buddy 

You'll know its me when i pull up Smiley Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

throt:
    dreamcar:
    bridggar:

It's sunny today. 

Pics please!

Make sure there is a meeting slot for us, buddy 

You'll know its me when i pull up Smiley Smiley

Don’t worry - sure I can find a slot for you throt!. Smiley I’ll be beating Porsche Portsmouth up again this week to get the paint treatment redone if I don’t hear from them soon - but other than that I’m pretty flexible Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

Only once a week? Smiley Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688486 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408677 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255514 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234758 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65376 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857551 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773317 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM