Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2020] Formula 1

He is just being brutally honest, may not be PC but let's be real, he only had to beat his teammate to win those championships, and those teammates were chosen with skills to be a second driver at that, they would never put an MV in that seat for example, so that is not an achievement comparable to what champions achieve in other sports were there is a fair playing field, not even close, it is what it is, I know that is not what fans here want to hear but F1 is just a constructors championship, the rest is just entertainment.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Motorsport is 80% dependent on the car sure, but still all F1 drivers should be able to fight each other with the same material. Nico did beat Hamilton... if Bottas is not good enough it’s not Hamilton’s fault, he was hired with the hope to be better than he is. Sure now it’s convenient but nobody can say in advance. Mercedes was before Hamilton a Team without any great achievements, even Schumacher couldn’t do anything with them, he even was beaten most of the time by Rosberg. I think Hamilton had a big part on the success story of Mercedes same as Schumacher had with Ferrari in that time. Yes it’s a team sport but so many parts need to play correctly in order to have one Grand Prix win... he had 94... I think there is nothing else to say. wink

Carlos from Spain:

He is just being brutally honest, may not be PC but let's be real, he only had to beat his teammate to win those championships, and those teammates were chosen with skills to be a second driver at that, they would never put an MV in that seat for example, so that is not an achievement comparable to what champions achieve in other sports were there is a fair playing field, not even close, it is what it is, I know that is not what fans here want to hear but F1 is just a constructors championship, the rest is just entertainment.

--

And one has to be one of the best, if not the best driver, in order to secure a seat in one of the best, if not the best car on the grid.

You don't see Mercedes go out and sign say Kyyat to be their #1, or even Red Bull signing Stroll to be theirs......................

Vettel has the best car on grid when he won his 4, Schumacher also had the best car on the grid during his Ferrari years. Even Alonso got the best car for his back to back back then.

Best driver/best car is intrinsically linked. 

--

Shaich:

Motorsport is 80% dependent on the car sure, but still all F1 drivers should be able to fight each other with the same material. Nico did beat Hamilton... if Bottas is not good enough it’s not Hamilton’s fault, he was hired with the hope to be better than he is. Sure now it’s convenient but nobody can say in advance. Mercedes was before Hamilton a Team without any great achievements, even Schumacher couldn’t do anything with them, he even was beaten most of the time by Rosberg. I think Hamilton had a big part on the success story of Mercedes same as Schumacher had with Ferrari in that time. Yes it’s a team sport but so many parts need to play correctly in order to have one Grand Prix win... he had 94... I think there is nothing else to say. wink

The driver's impact was minimal on the performance advantage of the Merc,  Hamilton joined Mercedes in 2013 and only won just one race due to RBR dominance, but when Turbo regulations came in 2014 and Merc had their superior turbocharged car ready that they had been working on in preparation for years without Hamilton and the car was so superior they instantly started winning every season by a mile. It wouldn't of mattered who was at the wheel, they still would have won.

That is why Hamilton in spite of being better than Vettel won nothing when Vettel was on the RBR, because Vettel was winning thanks to Adrian Newey and his team, and before Vettel it was Button thanks to the Brawn. Schumacher's situation was different, he took the team when it was down and helped gradually build it up.

I'm not saying Hamilton is a mediocre driver or the best of the grid, just the fact that his titles with Mercedes are not that big of an achievement, certainly not compared to the world titles achieved by others in other sports where is all down to the person competing in a level playing field like tennis or a marathon, examples he used and he in the article and is absolutely right if you think objectively and leave our the biases. Not what favs what to hear but it is what it is.

--

Totally agree, Carlos.

Most dominant car ever in F1 from what I can recall. 

Ronnie is having a pop because he always says it how it is, no messing. Plus I even stated above about Hams personality, many in the UK just can’t relate to him. Maybe this is what drives him with his other ( political ) ventures.  Sky sports pundits have often stated his achievements are under recognised, pointing it at the UK public. He just doesn’t hit it off here in the UK.

Think he gets more applauds off home soil judging by some on RT Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

There is a lot of racist prejudice in the way some or is it many people view Lewis Hamilton and his achievements. A black man (or even half black)  in a "noble" sport like F1, amounts to sacrilege in the minds of Hamilton's detractors. No one is honest to admit this bias in our time of political correctness but that's how it is unfortunately.

Schumacher who was the golden boy and was adored by millions achieved less than Hamilton and he was not a very clean competitor to say the least. The other modern era hero in the opinion of some, Alonso won just two titles in his early days and subsequently nothing in spite of driving for the top teams of the time. In the case of Hamilton they say it is just the car as if any idiot can get into the Mercedes and win 6 titles with Hamilton' ease.

I am not British to understand the value of knighthood in the 21st century but given Ronnie's complaint as far as I remember no one in the UK sporting community had any reservations when J.Y. Stewart  and Nigel Mansell were knighted by the Queen.

I follow F1 for many decades and the two persons who made an impact for me are Niki Lauda and Lewis Hamilton; all the others have come and gone.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

And Hamilton did more to the sport than Nikki. not even mentioning achievements. 

Back to the other issue. 

More about the sport where Ronnie and Lewis is in.

Ronnie will never get knighted simply because what sport he is playing. He can win the next 20 world championship and do another 20 147 in a row and still no one would care or even noticed. I know he is one of the best snooker player ever, but I am a very tiny minority. And No. One. Will. Care. 

--

u are totally underestimating the "austrian" influence in F1.....there are so many Austrian players pulling the strings behind u have no clue... - Nikki was THE master ! 

Carlos from Spain:
    Shaich:

The driver's impact was minimal on the performance advantage of the Merc,  Hamilton joined Mercedes in 2013 and only won just one race due to RBR dominance, but when Turbo regulations came in 2014 and Merc had their superior turbocharged car ready that they had been working on in preparation for years without Hamilton and the car was so superior they instantly started winning every season by a mile. It wouldn't of mattered who was at the wheel, they still would have won.

That is why Hamilton in spite of being better than Vettel won nothing when Vettel was on the RBR, because Vettel was winning thanks to Adrian Newey and his team, and before Vettel it was Button thanks to the Brawn. Schumacher's situation was different, he took the team when it was down and helped gradually build it up.

I'm not saying Hamilton is a mediocre driver or the best of the grid, just the fact that his titles with Mercedes are not that big of an achievement, certainly not compared to the world titles achieved by others in other sports where is all down to the person competing in a level playing field like tennis or a marathon, examples he used and he in the article and is absolutely right if you think objectively and leave our the biases. Not what favs what to hear but it is what it is.

All I cn say is that you just hate Hamilton ! I have noticed your tone whenever the topic of Hamilton is brought up. Is this becos of his past feud with your fellow countryman Alonso Smiley

BjoernB:
    u are totally underestimating the "austrian" influence in F1.....there are so many Austrian players pulling the strings behind u have no clue... - Nikki was THE master !

Niki (to use his precise name) will remain the F1 legend for his history and personality  in motorsport and his life outside Formula One. His role in the super successful Mercedes-AMG cannot be underestimated including the engagement of Hamilton and his influence on the making of this multi-champion.

I don't want to sound funny but I love Austria (mainly) because of Lauda blush

--

So basically your opinion about that sport is that all drivers are nothing special because its only the car?? Thesis very surprising to hear... this is a very competitive sport, sure the car is very very important... but to be so constant from the first day enetering the sport even against an Alonso at the peak of his time... please. I am really not an Hamilton fan but his achievements are incredible, he wasn’t driving the Mercedes alone and still he managed to bring all the titles exact for 1. Schumacher had also the best car in the field when he won... most of the time at least but still one must deliver... he had Barichello and Massa as teammates... 

F1 is always a combination of driver and car... both must be at the top of their game in order to bring results... The bottom line is that Hamilton deserves all he achieved and deserves respect for that. He was always a fair competitor no dirty moves... and soon he will have also his 8th title and he will be holding all records in F1.

Motorsport is a sport that by definition requires motorized equipment. So man and machine combine for the best result. People who separate the car from the driver might as well watch wrestling or boxing or the Marathon instead.

It is true that the best driver cannot win with a rubbish car, although a star will still make his presence felt during races, like Senna did when he was driving for Toleman or Bellof driving for Tyrrell. But it is equally true that not everyone can simply get into the best car and win. And the best drivers are chosen for the best cars so the "what if" assumption is never a realistic one.

Hamilton won 7 championships with a consummate ease that was beyond the superiority of his car. He never appeared to struggle or become unsettled in any race and he had no weak points and no critical mistakes. On the contrary Hamilton demonstrated a full palette of outstanding skills in all racing aspects like: one lap speed, racecraft, wet driving, overtaking, car conservation ,physical endurance, taking advantage of the safety car etc. etc. A complete champion driver and most of all a very clean competitor and a man showing respect for his fellow drivers.

Hamilton is also someone who is not afraid to express his views and who is not ashamed to live by his own lifestyle and have his own appearance in terms of tattoos, hairstyles  and ornaments in a sport where everybody is clean cut and common. He is professional and within the rules but at the same time a rebel.

In the present day multiracial Britain, Hamilton is a very good example of racial integration and equal opportunities. If he is knighted it will be a very good choice for such an honourary title.

My praise to Ron Dennis for finding an 11 year old black boy and for giving him all the opportunities.

This is my decided view about Lewis Hamilton

--

reginos:

Motorsport is a sport that by definition requires motorized equipment. So man and machine combine for the best result. People who separate the car from the driver might as well watch wrestling or boxing or the Marathon instead.

It is true that the best driver cannot win with a rubbish car, although a star will still make his presence felt during races, like Senna did when he was driving for Toleman or Bellof driving for Tyrrell. But it is equally true that not everyone can simply get into the best car and win. And the best drivers are chosen for the best cars so the "what if" assumption is never a realistic one.

Hamilton won 7 championships with a consummate ease that was beyond the superiority of his car. He never appeared to struggle or become unsettled in any race and he had no weak points and no critical mistakes. On the contrary Hamilton demonstrated a full palette of outstanding skills in all racing aspects like: one lap speed, racecraft, wet driving, overtaking, car conservation ,physical endurance, taking advantage of the safety car etc. etc. A complete champion driver and most of all a very clean competitor and a man showing respect for his fellow drivers.

Hamilton is also someone who is not afraid to express his views and who is not ashamed to live by his own lifestyle and have his own appearance in terms of tattoos, hairstyles  and ornaments in a sport where everybody is clean cut and common. He is professional and within the rules but at the same time a rebel.

In the present day multiracial Britain, Hamilton is a very good example of racial integration and equal opportunities. If he is knighted it will be a very good choice for such an honourary title.

My praise to Ron Dennis for finding an 11 year old black boy and for giving him all the opportunities.

This is my decided view about Lewis Hamilton

--

+1 kiss

LH no critical mistakes? He lost a title parking the car on gravel while entering the pit lane in China... and there are other examples...

He is a great driver but let’s not turn him in Superman.

--

There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:

LH no critical mistakes? He lost a title parking the car on gravel while entering the pit lane in China... and there are other examples...

Seriously??? Yes sure he did mistakes... (who didn't) but very few! Superman...no he is not Superman, but he is the most succesful driver of all times... Lets not take that away from him!!! And China was he's rookie year... against Alonso and Raikkonen at their best... and if not for Alonsos no. 1 status he would have won this WDC as they took at least one win away from him in favour of Alonso...(but as a Kimi fan I am happy for the outcome Smiley

Pentium:

And he definitely learn from his mistake. Another trait of champions. He said it over radio in Turkey he is not coming into the pit just in case another incident like that happened. 

--

Pentium:

Another Hamilton hater SmileySmiley pls come up with something more constructive !!!

I don’t hate LH

--

There is no try. Just do.

The only way LH will be recognized by haters as best F1 driver in the world:

Topspeed:

The only way LH will be recognized by haters as best F1 driver in the world:

Not happening. He just couldn’t put up with being no2 too Leclerc Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Whoopsy:

And Hamilton did more to the sport than Nikki. not even mentioning achievements. 

Back to the other issue. 

Ronnie will never get knighted simply because what sport he is playing. He can win the next 20 world championship and do another 20 147 in a row and still no one would care or even noticed. I know he is one of the best snooker player ever, but I am a very tiny minority. And No. One. Will. Care. 

What about when Ronnie switched to his weaker left arm to take that final black on for a 147, in whatever tournament it was in. He put his name in history at risk for another 147 and prize money.

It was the pinnacle of sporting cheekiness Smiley​​​​​​, brilliant.Smiley.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:
    Whoopsy:

Back to the other issue. 

What about when Ronnie switched to his weaker left arm to take that final black on for a 147, in whatever tournament it was in. He put his name in history at risk for another 147 and prize money.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

That Ronnie is one of the most brilliant snooker player ever if not the best ever, there’s no doubt about it. But it’s very disrespectful of him what he said about Hamilton IMO, why try take it away from him... he deserves it! As a sportsman he should know that and understand that. TBH after those comments I somewhat think less if him as this is very low... 

Shaich:
    throt:
    Whoopsy:

Back to the other issue. 

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

That Ronnie is one of the most brilliant snooker player ever if not the best ever, there’s no doubt about it. But it’s very disrespectful of him what he said about Hamilton IMO, why try take it away from him... he deserves it! As a sportsman he should know that and understand that. TBH after those comments I somewhat think less if him as this is very low... 

Yes, he is very blunt but so are a lot of pro snooker players, Mark Allen doesn't mince his words either. The players are so down to earth, no divas. However, he should show respect for Ham, if he speaks of him.

I also think very much so that it is a bit of envy. Snooker is a very skilful sport and it takes so much practice to get to pro standard. When they get their pro tour card I just think they feel they do not get the recognition they deserve.

They travel, play in events with bugger all crowd and it just must be so frustrating, it is what it is though.

Just big 3 events really and only big towards the final stages - UK Championship, The Masters and of course The World Championship.

They have been playing behind closed doors too during covid, but they are pretty much use to that Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:
    Whoopsy:

Back to the other issue. 

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Cocky-ness would be another word for it.Smiley

As it stands right now, he holds a higher title than Hamilton, OBE vs MBE. 

I actually had the pleasure of watching him play live in exhibition in Hong Kong quite a while ago. It was a treat to see him show off. 

But at the end of the day, snooker is a very British sport, not a 'world sport' like football, F1, or even rugby or cricket. And that limits the appeal. 

--

You guys are funny. Secretariat was the most dominant athlete, ever. Robbie switching hands? Lewis driving the best car in the field to another win? Child's play. Absolute dominance, below:

indecision

Hahaha,

Did Sacratariat have a good personality when carrying out press conferences.

Come on buddy, that’s not a human, it’s a bloody horse 

indecision kiss

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

Hahaha,

indecision kiss

True, but more than likely any half competent jockey could have been handling the reins of that horse and it would have been just as dominant. The difference between horse racing and F1 is that nobody really cars about the pilot. Smiley

JoeRockhead:
    throt:

Hahaha,

indecision kiss

True, but more than likely any half competent jockey could have been handling the reins of that horse and it would have been just as dominant. The difference between horse racing and F1 is that nobody really cars about the pilot. Smiley

Of course of course,

Lewis’s car is that horse. Me and you could sit on/in it and win Smiley Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Lol. Maybe in a group of OUR peers. indecision

all I’m saying is that I’d be a lot more impressed with Lewis if Bottas could only get the sister car to mid-field consistently. Same with Ruebens when Schmi was dominant. Lewis is an awesome driver, of course, but the cars are a major part of the result. Would love to see the group jump into a bunch of factory delivered Zafira’s and have a race. Then it’s up to the drivers alone. 

JoeRockhead:

Lol. Maybe in a group of OUR peers. indecision

all I’m saying is that I’d be a lot more impressed with Lewis if Bottas could only get the sister car to mid-field consistently. Same with Ruebens when Schmi was dominant. Lewis is an awesome driver, of course, but the cars are a major part of the result. Would love to see the group jump into a bunch of factory delivered Zafira’s and have a race. Then it’s up to the drivers alone. 

Zafiras Smiley SmileySmiley.

My shit box is the best car I have ever owned. I can park that thing anywhere and not give a crap.

People do look down at me when I am out and about Smiley. Sad but true but I wouldn’t give it up for anything else. Bought it nearly 9 yr ago, over the phone, strictly cash with my debit card Smiley Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755150 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431532 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258865 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255880 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79877 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5263 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868903 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802918 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM