Crown

Board: Lamborghini Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Huracan Evo (2019 Facelift)

mcdelaug:

Ok Iain, what’s it been like to drive?!

It's early days and I've had very little time to drive it due to other commitments getting in the way but my initial thoughts are........ wow, just what magic dust have Lamborghini sprinkled over this car compared to the previous generation AWD?? The previous model felt extremely well built but the new car feels even better in that regard.

It feels more planted and surefooted on the road at normal cruising speeds. I have the standard passive suspension set up and subjectively the ride quality feels a significant improvement over the adjustable damper set up in my previous car. It appears to soak up imperfect road surfaces with better wheel travel and reduces the shock transmitted to the cabin which gives more confidence in it. Part of that ride quality improvement is no doubt due to running on 19" wheels compared to the 20" on my previous car. The front end feel is much better with the front axle doing steering duties only. I went for the steel brakes and they have plenty of feel. I asked about the need for the carbon version when spec'ing the car and the feedback from the factory was they felt they were not necessary. That V10 singing away behind you is as glorious as ever. It will be a sad day when it is forced out of production. The gearbox is great. In Strada mode with the auto function engaged it will happily cope with low speed traffic situations and behave like a relaxed, comfortable torque convertor box. Change to manual in Corsa mode and you transform the personality of the car and really start to wake it up and it. Stab the throttle , drop a couple of gears, listen to a stampede of wild horses being unleashed in mechanical form behind your ears and observe traffic disappearing in your rear view mirrors at a fair rate. It's very addictive. I'm told the car looks extremely wide, low and intimidating on the road if it is following you.

They have got the styling absolutely nailed with the RWD I think. The front end is a huge improvent with a much cleaner look. The rear is much more aggressive with the huge high mounted central exhausts and redesigned twin scoops of the diffuser. I had reservations about the rear spoiler design from the initial photo's of the Evo AWD launch but in person it flows nicely and looks right.

The new infotainment unit is a huge step forward from the previous generation. Moving all of that functionality away from the instrument disaplay is a big plus point for me. It is pretty simple to operate, easy to navigate around and CarPlay works well in it. The lack of a volume control knob on either the centre console or steering wheel is a bit of a glaring omission but the volume is supposed to be able to be controlled by sliding two fingers up and down the screen and tapping it with three fingers to mute it. Thus far I haven't been able to get that to work so am either doing something wrong or need to set something up in it. I like the adoption of the short centre arm rest pad from the Performante with the open storage tray for a mobile phone behind. The old conventional full length hinged armrest was awkward to use and there wasn't a lot of room in it for larger phones.

A minor but important point for me is the massive improvent having a bicolour cabin has brought. My previous car had an all nero leather/alcantar interior and felt quite dark and oppresive. The cotrasting light leather in the new one gives the cabin a much brigher ambience and makes it feel larger.

RC:

Have you ever driven one?

In the hands of the same driver, the Performante will be faster on most tracks and this compared to a stock GT3 RS.

Unfortunately there aren’t many Performante in capable hands since the car is banned from most tracks and doesn‘t have proper “support” for track accessories, something Lamborghini has corrected with the upcoming STS. Hint: This car will very likely set a new Nordschleife record (which of course many Porsche fans will doubt again 😜).

Smiley is that your counter argument? to ask if I drove one...well both actually, spyder included Smiley

Anyway, are you surprised to see a 640hp car faster than a 500hp's one? let that apart, the suspension and the chassis including the communication you get from the steering wheel is not to a level of a GT product yet. hope the STS will counter part that including the usual track package...

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Wow! You make it sound great! I’m glad you’re pleased with it. I have a few questions if that’s ok...

Did you spec the dynamic steering or not?

Anything you would change about your spec with the limited driving you’ve done?

Have you thought about PPF or ceramic coatings?

Thanks for your earlier reply, I can’t wait until April!

ISUK:

The lack of a volume control knob on either the centre console or steering wheel is a bit of a glaring omission but the volume is supposed to be able to be controlled by sliding two fingers up and down the screen and tapping it with three fingers to mute it. Thus far I haven't been able to get that to work so am either doing something wrong or need to set something up in it.

AFAIK Lamborghini has already disabled the two/three-fingers operation due to some law suit from the US... Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Maybe the Alexa voice control will be the solution?

Rossi:

AFAIK Lamborghini has already disabled the two/three-fingers operation due to some law suit from the US... Smiley

You could be right. My dealer told me it works like that but he is maybe not up to speed on any such changes. There is a menu shortcut button at the bottom of the tablet screen so you can navigate to the volume function but it should be easier to do in a car like this.

I'll give the Alexa assistant a try as well Smiley

I didn't spec the dynamic steering. I don't think there is anything I'd change on my spec but may consider the new sports seats were I to order another. I wish I had sat in a Spyder back in January though. I had read that anyone over 5'10" wouldn't fit and my dealer said I'd be too tall. When I went to collect my car last week they had a new AWD Spyder on display with the full electric comforts seats. They do a small modifcation to the seat rails I believe which frees up a couple of centimetres additional legroom so I asked to try it out. I had zero issues with legroom and my head wasn't poking out above the screen header rail either so a Spyder would have been perfect. Sadly sales have gone through the roof since they re-opened after the lockdown ended in June and they have done record business in the past three  months on both new orders and used car sales so there is no need to offer discounts anymore, at least for the time being. I can't fault them as they'd be stupid to give up precious margin. If that situation changes I could be persuaded to switch for a Spyder now that I've got a Roma coupe coming in Spring.

I had self healing PPF applied to front bumper, full bonnet (trunk), front wings, screen pillars, door mirrors, skirts, full panel behind the doors up to the height of the wheel arches and the leading edge of the rear lower wheel arches. The installers did a new car paint correction first as there were a few buffer trails on the paint from poor polishing technique at the factory. Lamborghini must have employed some of Ferrari's transit protection preparation crew to achieve that Smiley 

This is a photo the ppf installers took in their hand over bay. Indoor lighting makes the Verde Scandal paint look quite different for some odd reason. I didn't get a ceramic coating.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 17.19.56.png

Stunning.

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, X3 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

ISUK:

I didn't spec the dynamic steering. I don't think there is anything I'd change on my spec but may consider the new sports seats were I to order another.

I tried the sports seats, I think they are really comfortable for such a seat. Similar to the ones of Ferrari. I never sat in the sports buckets, but most say these are a PITA - literally. Smiley
    But with the new sports seats, you have the best of both worlds and they also look good. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

Rossi:
    ISUK:

I didn't spec the dynamic steering. I don't think there is anything I'd change on my spec but may consider the new sports seats were I to order another.

I tried the sports seats, I think they are really comfortable for such a seat. Similar to the ones of Ferrari. I never sat in the sports buckets, but most say these are a PITA - literally. Smiley
    But with the new sports seats, you have the best of both worlds and they also look good. Smiley

I prefer the look of the standard full electric seat as in the bicolor option they have a Y shape in the centre that actually matches the DLR's/frint indicator shape. You can clearly sell them in the car through the front screen as well. I've tried the sports buckets and they were the most uncomfortable seats I think I've sat in. The new sports seats offer slightly more space as they are thinner backs so I thought they would help in a Spider for a taller driver.

the-missile:
    RC:

Have you ever driven one?

In the hands of the same driver, the Performante will be faster on most tracks and this compared to a stock GT3 RS.

Unfortunately there aren’t many Performante in capable hands since the car is banned from most tracks and doesn‘t have proper “support” for track accessories, something Lamborghini has corrected with the upcoming STS. Hint: This car will very likely set a new Nordschleife record (which of course many Porsche fans will doubt again 😜).

Smiley is that your counter argument? to ask if I drove one...well both actually, spyder included Smiley

Anyway, are you surprised to see a 640hp car faster than a 500hp's one? let that apart, the suspension and the chassis including the communication you get from the steering wheel is not to a level of a GT product yet. hope the STS will counter part that including the usual track package...

Sorry but you clearly didn't drive the Performante Coupe because the Performante actually feels more direct and connected than the 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 RS I test-drove. Smiley I only liked the tires on the RS better (Cup 2), this is something Lamborghini could certainly step up with (the Trofeo R is a great tire but I think the Cup 2 is the "standard" right now). Of course a 640 hp car is faster than a 500 hp car but this is why the Performante is way faster on certain tracks. Smiley If they are allowed to drive there. Smiley Also, the driver needs to like AWD cars, which Christian Gebhardt (Sport Auto) clearly doesn't. Last but not least, the Performante tested in Sport Auto had an unexplainable power loss and was over 40 kg heavier than the stock car due to the different seats and roll cage (it was equipped with this stuff from the factory for test purposes). Still did a pretty fast time. Oh, did I mention that they couldn't do more times to try to be faster? Right...the car was banned from the Nordschleife after the first try. Smiley

I know it is hard to believe but you'd be surprised how fast the Performante is compared to other cars and while I am certainly not a bad driver, the car itself is definitely fast. Very fast.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

ISUK:

I didn't spec the dynamic steering. I don't think there is anything I'd change on my spec but may consider the new sports seats were I to order another. I wish I had sat in a Spyder back in January though. I had read that anyone over 5'10" wouldn't fit and my dealer said I'd be too tall. When I went to collect my car last week they had a new AWD Spyder on display with the full electric comforts seats. They do a small modifcation to the seat rails I believe which frees up a couple of centimetres additional legroom so I asked to try it out. I had zero issues with legroom and my head wasn't poking out above the screen header rail either so a Spyder would have been perfect. Sadly sales have gone through the roof since they re-opened after the lockdown ended in June and they have done record business in the past three  months on both new orders and used car sales so there is no need to offer discounts anymore, at least for the time being. I can't fault them as they'd be stupid to give up precious margin. If that situation changes I could be persuaded to switch for a Spyder now that I've got a Roma coupe coming in Spring.

I had self healing PPF applied to front bumper, full bonnet (trunk), front wings, screen pillars, door mirrors, skirts, full panel behind the doors up to the height of the wheel arches and the leading edge of the rear lower wheel arches. The installers did a new car paint correction first as there were a few buffer trails on the paint from poor polishing technique at the factory. Lamborghini must have employed some of Ferrari's transit protection preparation crew to achieve that Smiley 

This is a photo the ppf installers took in their hand over bay. Indoor lighting makes the Verde Scandal paint look quite different for some odd reason. I didn't get a ceramic coating.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 17.19.56.png

Iain the car looks great, congratulations! The wavelengths present in many indoor lights are a different blend than sunlight, so it can make some colors look different, but it’s still riveting. Thanks for all of your detailed answers, that’s very kind of you to take the time! I hope you have time to drive it before it gets too cool this fall. Congrats again!

RC:

Sorry but you clearly didn't drive the Performante Coupe because the Performante actually feels more direct and connected than the 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 RS I test-drove. Smiley I only liked the tires on the RS better (Cup 2), this is something Lamborghini could certainly step up with (the Trofeo R is a great tire but I think the Cup 2 is the "standard" right now). Of course a 640 hp car is faster than a 500 hp car but this is why the Performante is way faster on certain tracks. Smiley If they are allowed to drive there. Smiley Also, the driver needs to like AWD cars, which Christian Gebhardt (Sport Auto) clearly doesn't. Last but not least, the Performante tested in Sport Auto had an unexplainable power loss and was over 40 kg heavier than the stock car due to the different seats and roll cage (it was equipped with this stuff from the factory for test purposes). Still did a pretty fast time. Oh, did I mention that they couldn't do more times to try to be faster? Right...the car was banned from the Nordschleife after the first try. Smiley

I know it is hard to believe but you'd be surprised how fast the Performante is compared to other cars and while I am certainly not a bad driver, the car itself is definitely fast. Very fast.

it must be the AWD, I only tried for 2 laps because I did not like the feeling. hope the STS will be a pure RWD though. I am not discussing the power or the speed, the package is there and we can see them running with us. Properly pushed, it is fast.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Lovely spec as always, Iain kiss

I really must try one of these at some point. Beautiful looking cars with what must be an amazing engine.

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

Many hate the AWD, it often requires a change in driving style. I guess I got too used to it, cannot imagine something different.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

ISUK:
    Rossi:
    ISUK:

I prefer the look of the standard full electric seat as in the bicolor option they have a Y shape in the centre that actually matches the DLR's/frint indicator shape. You can clearly sell them in the car through the front screen as well. I've tried the sports buckets and they were the most uncomfortable seats I think I've sat in. The new sports seats offer slightly more space as they are thinner backs so I thought they would help in a Spider for a taller driver.

I agree. The standard seat do look great, they are comfy but firm enough for such a car, you can adjust them in every way possible and you have a seat heating, which is nice, especially now, when autumn comes. I could do without the full electric, manual back and forth is quicker for example, but full electric is certainly not a disadvantage.

--

I am sooooo happy I couldn't change my order to the sport shells. The comfort seats are already not really comfortable but acceptable. My wife manages to drive around an hour in these seats before she starts complaining about back pain. My wife is extremely sporty but still...her back hurts. My son also has issues, he is very tall and thin, also has back pain issues after driving over an hour in the car. I get easier out of the car than him. Smiley Smiley

The seat upholstery seems to be pretty thin compared to other seats, this could be the main problem.

--

The seat base has very little padding so becomes uncomfortable after a while. I don't know why this has never been addressed by the factory. The seats in the Gallardo had a similar issue but were slightly better for longer journeys.

ISUK:

The seat base has very little padding so becomes uncomfortable after a while. I don't know why this has never been addressed by the factory. The seats in the Gallardo had a similar issue but were slightly better for longer journeys.

Lamborghini made some essential (in my opinion) mistakes over the past couple of years, even if they sold tons of cars:

1. Aventador gearbox (should have received a DCT with the last facelift)

2. Aventador SVJ not limited enough.

3. Huracan Performante track capability (they made a track monster but without any real life possibility to use it on the track semi-professionally, speaking of head space, seats, 6-point harness, roll cage, exhaust sound-there should be a quieter track mode, etc.)

4. Huracan Performante should have been limited edition (1500 or 2000 cars at max or whatever).

5. Huracan Evo engine power/price (supercharged V10 would have been a solution to raise power, maybe even a Biturbo). Car is in a price range with the F8 Tributo and 720S but has 80 hp less. Not very clever, even if the n/a V10 may be something special.

6. Tire development: Overall, it seems that Porsche knows how important tire development is, Lamborghini apparently not. Now they even deliver the cars with regular PZero tires, not sure if they changed the compound, so the Corsa isn't necessary anymore but I kind of doubt it. I rather think they reacted to customer feedback about comfort and driving in the wet.

Lamborghini is resting on their success but this could backfire soon. Now that Domenicali is gone, this can be a huge issue...or a huge chance for them.

--

ISUK:

I think it's crucial how you tilt the seat base, at least that's what I discovered. After I have adjusted my seat in this respect, also long distances and driving time are absolutely trouble-free.

--

Rossi:

I think it's crucial how you tilt the seat base, at least that's what I discovered. After I have adjusted my seat in this respect, also long distances and driving time are absolutely trouble-free.

Smiley I agree. Tilting the angle to provide better under thigh support certainly helps.

Rossi:
    ISUK:

--

I think that most drivers produce enough adrenaline and dopamine during driving that they don't feel any back pain or true discomfort. Smiley 

At least this is my theory because no matter who I take with me and no matter how that person adjusts the seat, there is no difference, all co-passengers feel pain after a while. Smiley

--

Hi Ian

As I'm contemplating to get me a Huracan Evo RWD next to my Touring before the dreaded OPF would also kill the Lambo's sound what's your experience after now a couple of months of ownership, especially in the driving department? Although there are many Performante's available, I prefer the RWD feeling so your input would be highly appreciated.

Best

Mike

There are new Performante available? 😉

I‘d suggest you drive both before you make a decision. The Performante is basically the GT3 version of the Huracan, the RWD is more like a Carrera S compared to a Carrera 4S. 👀

I had the chance to drive the RWD and at no point did it feel more agile than the Performante, on the contrary.

--

Delivery time for a Huracan here in Switzerland now 10 to 12 months

STO is probably taking build slots from standard Evo

mcdelaug:

STO is probably taking build slots from standard Evo

Maybe, maybe not. RWD still seems to sell worse than the AWD Evo (at least at my dealer, this is why he made me that "excellent" lease offer...for a Lambo Smiley). I think this is the same phenomenon AMG sees right now: People want to buy the "last" good sounding engines (AMG V8, Lamborghini V10 n/a) before new emissions laws kick in.  

Had a "good"(?) offer (250k) for my Performante, an incentive to switch to the STO but the STO doesn't tickle my senses at all.

Why not? Simple: It is not AWD and it is on the road (not track, this remains to be seen) slower than my Performante. Yes, I like how it looks but in the end, why spend another 60k for it? Resale value could be better of course but I don't know... I like the STO but I have to think about my son (he needs a car soon), also about retirement  Smiley, so I guess I stick to my Performante. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

STO is being moved earlier in production for GPF avoidance from what I’ve heard

mcdelaug:

STO is being moved earlier in production for GPF avoidance from what I’ve heard

GPF isn't an issue for the STO, not even in Europe. Not now. Even the next model year of the Evo will very likely have no GPF. Problems start 2022 but til then, they can produce enough STO to make everyone happy. Lamborghini has quite the production capacity for the Huracan, also because the Aventador isn't doing that well (as far as I heard) right now and the successor is just around the corner.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

The STO is the RS, RC. If you want the best and top of the range of Huracan before it switches to something unknown and maybe not as exciting and it is an instant collector. The performante is nice and if you can get 250k out of it, then let it go without second thought. The current pricing for this car is 30% less...

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761072 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434594 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260116 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257255 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80810 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871485 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806714 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM