Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Wandered to the dark side

Sorry to hijack your thread Frank!

Wandered into this beauty this weekend, and wanted to share a quick picture... angel

Ferrari LaFerrari.jpeg
    --

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

That's another level again. angel

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2020 Mercedes-AMG C63 / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

So I had found the 812 a bit 'spiky' to drive recently, which of course is partly due to cold roads, but also the car itself felt like it would spit me sideways at every opportunity given. Full throttle in the first 3 gears is wheelspin in any case, but it was always sideways as well, even when pointing straight. Properly scary, and I tend to like my cars lively. angry

As the car had to go to the shop for an electronic gremlin (welcome to Ferrari ownership smiley), I asked them to check what they could find based on my experience. Turns out the rear axle had a huge amount of toe-out, coupled to 800hp on a RWD car, you can imagine how lively it was... Looking forward to drive it as intended now, without fearing to end up in the nearest tree.

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-01 at 16.10.18.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-01 at 17.29.07.jpeg

--

Christ, weren't you in Manthey under a month ago? Did they forget to tighten something when they did your alignment? 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

I was yes, and I sent them this reading, they claim it's impossible that these values are true as that would be mortal. I'm sure it didn't left their shop that way, I (and Ferrari) think(s) the electronics/4WS were not taken into account which probably adjusted the initial setting. Of course it's not their expertise to work on Ferrari's, so that blame is mostly on me, and in their defense they proposed a free setup once I'm in a Porsche again. smiley

Whatever the reason, I'm just delighted it wasn't supposed to drive that way.

--

Porker:

I was yes, and I sent them this reading, they claim it's impossible that these values are true as that would be mortal. I'm sure it didn't left their shop that way, I (and Ferrari) think(s) the electronics/4WS were not taken into account which probably adjusted the initial setting. Of course it's not their expertise to work on Ferrari's, so that blame is mostly on me, and in their defense they proposed a free setup once I'm in a Porsche again. smiley

Whatever the reason, I'm just delighted it wasn't supposed to drive that way.

You sure about that? Did you not hear Vettel on the radio about his car? 

--

Glad you got this sorted before something nasty  happened.

Pointing straight again, what a difference in values. angel It was apparently due to the rear steering not having been recalibrated after the mechanical adjustment. Glad to have experienced an 812 at its liveliest, but happier still to have it back to as intended now. smiley

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

--

Glad you're pointing forward again, last thing 2020 needs is a crash in our little family. Great pic with the tree, tis the season. 

Great pic with the tree, tis the season. 

Looks like a setup for one of those videos where people try to set fire to stuff with the flames from their exhausts indecision

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

Geez, that’s actually frightening 😳

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

spudgun:

Well to think I've done well over 300kph on the way back from Germany that day... Smiley

That said, I wouldn't have if it would have felt unstable at speed, and that wasn't the case aside from its inherent nervousness.

--

Porker:
    spudgun:

Well to think I've done well over 300kph on the way back from Germany that day... Smiley

That said, I wouldn't have if it would have felt unstable at speed, and that wasn't the case aside from its inherent nervousness.

You were lucky, thank god nothing happened. Smiley

Had a similar encounter, picked up my GT500 after a resonator (engine bay, air filter) delete, for whatever weird reason, they had removed all four wheels before that and after I got my car back, they forgot to tighten the wheel bolts. I heard a clank noise after I picked up the car, drove back to the dealer, they checked the car, did a test-drive, heard the noise but didn't realize what it was, so they told me to pay attention and if it gets worse, I should come back.

So I drove back home, with my son, drove over 240 kph on the Autobahn, everything felt fine. At home, I noticed the noise got louder, so I called a friend who works as an engineer at BMW and he told me to check the wheel bolts. He was right, they were all loose.

Now the best part: When I called the dealer to tell him the "news", he denied any involvement. I was so pissed and even got more mad when he, after I made the complaint, told me that if I dare to tell this to anyone in public (like a car forum), he would sue me. It was the owner of the dealership, he was so aggressive, never again. Biggest Mustang dealer in Germany. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:
    Porker:
    spudgun:

Had a similar encounter, picked up my GT500 after a resonator (engine bay, air filter) delete, for whatever weird reason, they had removed all four wheels before that and after I got my car back, they forgot to tighten the wheel bolts. I heard a clank noise after I picked up the car, drove back to the dealer, they checked the car, did a test-drive, heard the noise but didn't realize what it was, so they told me to pay attention and if it gets worse, I should come back.

So I drove back home, with my son, drove over 240 kph on the Autobahn, everything felt fine. At home, I noticed the noise got louder, so I called a friend who works as an engineer at BMW and he told me to check the wheel bolts. He was right, they were all loose.

Now the best part: When I called the dealer to tell him the "news", he denied any involvement. I was so pissed and even got more mad when he, after I made the complaint, told me that if I dare to tell this to anyone in public (like a car forum), he would sue me. It was the owner of the dealership, he was so aggressive, never again. Biggest Mustang dealer in Germany. Smiley

--

So, in effect he was insinuating that either someone had sabotaged your car or you had done it yourself on a suicide mission Smiley

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:
    RC:
    Porker:
    spudgun:

--

So, in effect he was insinuating that either someone had sabotaged your car or you had done it yourself on a suicide mission Smiley

He told me that his mechanics would never make such a mistake. My car was in a closed(!) garage all the time, so impossible that someone tinkered with the wheel bolts.

He was extremely aggressive and also very careless when it came to driving safety: I had him put new PZero tires on my car because the semi-slicks which came with the GT500 were almost undriveable on public roads, especially in the wet. He assured me that these tires are approved by Pirelli for the GT500, the car has a 320 kph Vmax certified in the car's documents.

Now here comes the tricky part: This Vmax is only certified if you run these Pirelli PZero tires at a tire pressure of 3.2 bar front and rear. Driving the GT500 at 3.2 bar tire pressure is impossible, the car handles miserably. Best tire pressure to get an acceptable handling is around 2.6 bar on all four tires. This limits the top speed at around 260 kph if you want to be on the safe side. My dealer put 2.2 bar into all four tires and told me that this is the best tire pressure for this car. Yes, it is the best one for handling but top speed is limited to 220 kph. The dealer insisted that all his customers were driving 2.2 bar on these PZero tires and everything is just fine. I told him that dead people cannot complaint Smiley and he and his sister (she also works there) started yelling at me. 

I talked to Pirelli personally and they told me clearly that if I want to drive higher speeds, I need a higher tire pressure. They told me that 2.2 bar would limit the top speed at 220 kph, 2.5 bar at 250 kph and so on. To drive 320 kph, I would need 3.2 bar. I even got this in written. The dealer said this is crap. Smiley I tried to drive 320 kph with 3.2 bar but it was impossible. Car started to feel as if I was driving on raw eggs...at 250 kph. Huge safety issue, higher speeds were impossible without risking my life. 

So in the end, I set the tire pressure to 2.6 bar and avoided speeds over 260 kph, which sucked but the GT500 was basically undriveable over 300 kph anyway because of the...brakes. Smiley

I do not want to know how many people had a blown tire because this dealer was giving them bad advice. Sorry but I trust the manufacturer of the tires more than a dealer with "experience". Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

There are ignorant idiots everywhere, unfortunately!.

But also unbelievably rude attitude towards a customer by the siblings running the dealership.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:

There are ignorant idiots everywhere, unfortunately!.

But also unbelievably rude attitude towards a customer by the siblings running the dealership.

I guess they were used to the typical "picking up my Mustang" smiling clientele, most of them probably being less demanding than I was. Can't help it, I do not like to be served bullshit by dealers. Smiley

On the other hand, my tuner (Peter Schropp, the Mustang "guru" in Germany) was completely different from what I expected. He is the typical Swabian, I wasn't sure I would get along with him. He exceeded all my expectations, we were on a first name basis fast and had an amazing tuner/customer relationship. By amazing I mean absolutely perfect, this guy has fuel in his veins, he also was super knowledgeable and all his recommendations and installs panned out perfectly, worked perfectly, amazing job. Cheap (for my usual Porsche standards), high quality and he didn't serve me any kind of BS once, I loved that guy. My Lambo mechanic is similar, I get along with him very well, he can basically read my minds when it comes to my car. My Porsche mechanic was also the same way. Car people, they love what they do. Smiley

For me, a relationship of trust and honesty to my car mechanic is similar to the relationship of a patient to his doctor. A good and trustable car mechanic is worth gold.

--

This: “For me, a relationship of trust and honesty to my car mechanic is similar to the relationship of a patient to his doctor. A good and trustable car mechanic is worth gold.”

Smiley

I’m exactly the same. I don’t buy a car, no matter how much I wanted or love it, if I don’t have first a mechanic for it that I can trust.

--

There is no try. Just do.

He's back, with a vengeance! What a difference, drives perfectly now. Gone the instability and extreme nervousness, I feel I can trust it/lean on it/play with it, as you should. Now it's a matter of restraint. smiley

IMG_9823.jpg

--

Porker:

... Now it's a matter of restraint. smiley

Oh yeah, everyone here has tons of that Smiley

Beautiful car!

Porker:

He's back, with a vengeance! What a difference, drives perfectly now. Gone the instability and extreme nervousness, I feel I can trust it/lean on it/play with it, as you should. Now it's a matter of restraint. smiley

IMG_9823.jpg

--

This car is a perfect beauty!

Glad you could fix the issues w/o getting into serious troubles Smiley

Porker:

IMG_9823.jpg

--

This looks amazingly good!  Enjoy it in good health Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S;  2019 Speedster

Unexpected supermarket encounter 

7DC8E052-A3EB-4165-ADBF-85BF9C4BF18A.jpeg

--

Who parked first? 

Ah...my lost love. Smiley

Had three of those...love/hate relationship.

--

Porker:

Unexpected supermarket encounter 

7DC8E052-A3EB-4165-ADBF-85BF9C4BF18A.jpeg

Awesome... the fact alone that these two cars are used to run errands. Smiley

But no Starbucks in Belgium?  indecision

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

4trac:

But no Starbucks in Belgium?  indecision

Smiley Smiley

--

Question for the Ferrari cognoscenti: how does one access the benefits of Ferrari’s electronic side slip control? I would see it as a blanket of safety still allowing you to slide but preventing a spin for example. However with the manettino in Race, it prevents gratuitous slides altogether. Next step is CT off, which indeed lets you spin the wheels in a straight line without intervention, but the electronics cut in when the movement is sideways. Next step turns everything off altogether, which is fun but frankly a bit too much with this car in this season. Anything I’m overlooking?

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688883 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408862 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255605 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234846 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65442 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857703 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773631 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM