Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016)

SmileyEnglishManInNY:

I would pick the 720s - I love the boosty engine and it revs as fast as the GT3. It just doesn't scream as much as the GT3. 

I assume I could have a simple daily - the Model 3 I don't drive much since my wife took it off my hands without asking. I daily the 850. I got the 850 because of the V8 and the fact I can always get another E in the future. V8s maybe not. 

Nice choice. Given my much more limited resources I find my 997 turbo and model3 perf combo suits me perfectly. I don’t let my wife get too comfortable with borrowing the Tesla.  She sticks to her Honda HRV.  All black/black cars btw. 

Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:

Current market for EVs want something different looking from traditional automobiles.  

I am not sure that's the case. I think the reverse is actually true instead.

Consumers wants a normal looking car that doesn't scream LOOK AT MY EV!! 

Outside of Teslas, and now the Taycan, every other EV on the market looks like a normal car. BMW i3 is the prime example of looking like a weird car and they are pretty much a failure on the market.

Whatever that's coming down the pipe from Audi are all normal looking also. That pretty much holds true for all manufacturers' up coming products.

There are several different market audiences.  EVs are still in the early adopter phase who want everyone to know they drive an EV.  Perhaps in five to ten years a more mainstream audience will acquires EVs in mass that don’t want a car design that screams EV. 

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

Current market for EVs want something different looking from traditional automobiles.  

And there are so many engineering differences that it would actually be more expensive to somehow just electrify existing car bodies. Just like you could not just put gas engines into horse carriages. Or putting a flat screen into an old tube TV case. 

Your reply is devoid of any serious understanding of automotive design.  

CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

And there are so many engineering differences that it would actually be more expensive to somehow just electrify existing car bodies. Just like you could not just put gas engines into horse carriages. Or putting a flat screen into an old tube TV case. 

I will go with that. I agree.  Bad analogy, yes. I guess I was more referring to the tech than the design. 

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

I will go with that. I agree.  Bad analogy, yes. I guess I was more referring to the tech than the design. 

The basic engineering required for suspension, interior, BiW, aerodynamics, climate control, and infotainment is identical.  There are differences in powertrain engineering that require different skill sets; however, EVs provide a simpler, though not yet cost effective, solution set.  

Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:

I am not sure that's the case. I think the reverse is actually true instead.

Consumers wants a normal looking car that doesn't scream LOOK AT MY EV!! 

Outside of Teslas, and now the Taycan, every other EV on the market looks like a normal car. BMW i3 is the prime example of looking like a weird car and they are pretty much a failure on the market.

Whatever that's coming down the pipe from Audi are all normal looking also. That pretty much holds true for all manufacturers' up coming products.

This is my opinion, the opinion of my friends, the opinion of 99% of my customers and people I have talked to. Smiley

People want EVs to look like other cars but I think manufacturers have a different opinion...or maybe a different target group? Smiley Look at the Prius: Seriously, I think we all know what the target group for this car is/was. My son delivered a clear definition but I do not want to hurt anyone's feelings here. Smiley Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

The phrase is virtue signaling.  

Starting price 187K in France indecision at least the Turbo S has its own look now. GTS is no more following the look for cheaper!

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Sightly different front bumper and slightly different rear lights.

It weights about 350kg less than the old turbo S e-hybrid but 50 less hp.

Also will be missing all the government aids by not being a hybrid. 

It is much faster on a track because of less weight, but a Panamera isn't a track car, and what it's missing is huge on the street. No thanks. 

--

Whoopsy:

what's the point?

let's try to do less hp because we are greedy? Ya zat is a very gut plan. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    Whoopsy:

what's the point?

let's try to do less hp because we are greedy? Ya zat is a very gut plan. Smiley

On a track, having 50 less hp but weighting 350kg less is a big plus. No question about that.

On the street, in daily lives, the weight makes less of a difference. And neither is the hp difference. But the big difference is HOW the drivetrain is config-ed. The old one with the hybrid system makes the car qualify for all sorts of governmental aids and subsidies. No congestion charge into central London for example, clean vehicle priority parking, clean car tax rebates and such. The new one without the hybrid qualifies for zero. It's just a normal car, a very fast normal car and that's about it. 

An executive sedan is somewhat a daily car, street usage will take priorities over spirited driving. The old hybrid one was already good enough handling wise, not the best, but it will holds it's own even with such heavy weight. The new one trades off the street usage part for better spirited driving part, not sure if that's a good move.

--

I on the other hand am pleased with that evolution. Prefer high powered conventional cars to these overly complex/heavy hybrids. At least for as long as we can still enjoy them, well done!

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:

I on the other hand am pleased with that evolution. Prefer high powered conventional cars to these overly complex/heavy hybrids. At least for as long as we can still enjoy them, well done!

+1

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Porsche just played catching up with the Panamera Turbo, Mercedes and BMW were already one step ahead and while the new Panamera Turbo may be pretty quick around the track, I don't see a real superiority here over it's Mercedes and BMW peers. 

The facelift design? In my opinion a step back. I don't like it. I like the Taycan design much more and I'm usually not one of those who like the forced futuristic designs many manufacturers use for their EV cars.

I'm not a fan of big headlights, also not a fan of big tail lights, I think Porsche could have done better here but I guess they wanted to differentiate the Panamera from the Taycan or whatever.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I’m with Porker and Bluelines...

bluelines:
    Porker:

+1

+2

Enmanuel:
    bluelines:
    Porker:

+1

+2

+3

These complex hybrids might also turn out to be costly nightmares out of warranty..

I like the Panamera style. A very distinctive large car in the sea of samey Mercedes and BMW limousines.

Even the original Panamera, notwithstanding some exterior design weaknesses, still looks eye-catching today.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Wonderbar:

Of course, you guys are Porsche fanboys. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    Wonderbar:

No, I just wrote in the other thread that I prefer our Audi S6 V8 over a Panamera Hybrid indecision

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

bluelines:
    RC:
    Wonderbar:

No, I just wrote in the other thread that I prefer our Audi S6 V8 over a Panamera Hybrid indecision

I thought we are talking about the Panamera Turbo here...  Smiley

The only Porsche hybrid I'd get would be the Turbo S (Panamera or Cayenne, doesn't matter). Great combo.

The only Porsche non-GT model interesting enough for me right now is the Taycan Turbo S though... Porsche did a great job here, they just got the price tag wrong (in my opinion).

--

Porker:

If I use that argument, I would get myself a M5 Competition.

I am still tempted to get one, especially considering the much lower price.

--

I am puzzled...Why did they get rid of the hybrid technology for the Turbo S? I seems like a major step back from a technological, communication and marketing standpoint. It feels as if iPhone/iPads were reverting to touch ID. yes

Ziggy:

I am puzzled...Why did they get rid of the hybrid technology for the Turbo S? I seems like a major step back from a technological, communication and marketing standpoint. It feels as if iPhone/iPads were reverting to touch ID. yes

As far as I heard, a hybrid version will follow later.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Turbo S E-hybrid will have over 700 bhp..

Rossi:
    Ziggy:

As far as I heard, a hybrid version will follow later.

Turbo SS Smiley

--

991.2 GT3RS,Cayenne Coupè Hybrid.

Just back from my dealer. Speced one, nothing special, and ended up with a price tag of €240.000......

I stay with Bentley intill i see what the se hybrid have to give (reales approx oktober).

But this time of the year its all about the cup car and some small drives with the GT2😎⛱⛱

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690178 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409550 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255888 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235124 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65618 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858289 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774484 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM