Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The Hybrids are Coming.……and I not excited

Just posted a new blog on the coming of the next generation hybrid supercars.  I have a few major concerns on if they will be able to deliver a better driving experience:

https://karenable.com/the-hybrids-are-coming-and-i-not-excited/

Thoughts, comments? 

Re: The Hybrids are Coming.……and I not excited

Nice readkiss I think Porsche may get it right with the 992 Turbo S Hybrid,  but I believe Ferrari has over shot with SF90. 

rhino:

Nice readkiss I think Porsche may get it right with the 992 Turbo S Hybrid,  but I believe Ferrari has over shot with SF90. 

From what I've heard the brake feel on the SF90 is pretty bad.

I am with you all the way but must confess to not having enough personal hybrid driving experience including the 918 which you do not mention. That would appear from others' comments to have overcome the initial scepticism of weight gain related to the hybrid apparatus. Over to you @Whoopsy. On a related note I am much more excited about the light weight version of the 812 than the SF90.

In 10 years we will look back at these early hybrids and see all their “engineering learning curve” faults. I’d much rather get a pure NA car honed by decades of ICE evolution now instead of a rapidly evolving hybrid platform that will be much better in a few years.

Hybrids are never meant to be the future or last a long time. They are the bridging product between normal cars and cars of the future, be it electric or hydrogen or whatever we will come up with. And as of this moment in time, they are the best solution. Nothing more, nothing less.

IF the future is EVs, that means a heavy car, and currently the manufacturer with the most experience making weight disappeared is Porsche, closing in on 10 years of experience.

I haven't paid much attention to the SF90, so can't really comment on that car. But if Ferrari is even half as good as Porsche in engineering department, which I believe they are way better than that, then the brake' feel' matter is something that gets blown out of proportion. 

There is currently 4 cars in my possession that have blended braking, 918, Panamera turbo S, Taycan and my e-Tron. 918 without a doubt is the 1st generation, Panamera has the 2nd gen, I would put the e-Tron as gen 2.5 and Taycan is the 3rd generation, current product. 

99% of the time, the switchover is not perceivable, even in the 918. I can find it if I really want to, but what's the point? At that point, I am not concentrating on DRIVING the car, pointless to worry or think about it. The other 3 honestly I cannot find the switchover even if I tried. Really hard. Like looking at the G-meter since I know when the crossover happen and even with that I still can't feel it.

And what is good brake 'feel'? It's a very subjective thing. But to me, and most people, good brake feels means a firm solid pedal. Linear application would be another good thing, but a progressive pedal I can also work with. 

Horrible pedal feels are the ones with mushy pedals, and that comes from having air trapped in the brake lines. 

--

SSO.:

Just posted a new blog on the coming of the next generation hybrid supercars.  I have a few major concerns on if they will be able to deliver a better driving experience:

Thoughts, comments? 

The performance on new hybrid supercars will be exceptional without a question but I'm afraid the dream of lightweight cars and especially the same or even better exhaust sound, will be a thing of the past. Smiley

I assume only small niche manufacturers will be able to keep weight down and exhaust sounds up. Smiley

Actually, I am worried (yes!) that with new EV hypercars, the laws of physics will be challenged only by tires and software programming. At some point, I wouldn't be surprised if such cars would be able to automatically adapt to certain tracks and optimize chassis setups and even aerodynamics for specific tracks. Actually, I am pretty sure that at some point in the future, these EV hypercars will be able to drive autonomously on the track without even driver intervention. 

Maybe we are even going to see some sort of robotics EV F1 sometimes in the future, where F1 EV cars without drivers compete on the track for the best software and hardware setups. Smiley

Not likely? I'm afraid it will happen.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    SSO.:

Thoughts, comments? 

The performance on new hybrid supercars will be exceptional without a question but I'm afraid the dream of lightweight cars and especially the same or even better exhaust sound, will be a thing of the past. Smiley

I assume only small niche manufacturers will be able to keep weight down and exhaust sounds up. Smiley

Actually, I am worried (yes!) that with new EV hypercars, the laws of physics will be challenged only by tires and software programming. At some point, I wouldn't be surprised if such cars would be able to automatically adapt to certain tracks and optimize chassis setups and even aerodynamics for specific tracks. Actually, I am pretty sure that at some point in the future, these EV hypercars will be able to drive autonomously on the track without even driver intervention. 

Maybe we are even going to see some sort of robotics EV F1 sometimes in the future, where F1 EV cars without drivers compete on the track for the best software and hardware setups. Smiley

Not likely? I'm afraid it will happen.

Im afraid it probably isn't that far off.  At least the self adapting for each track part.

This. In the future a Ring Taxi with a human driver will not only be slower but also much more dangerous. Enjoy that steering wheel while you have it. Going the way of the manual transmission. 

Thank you very much I called that one smiley

A race series where autonomous cars race against each other, maybe not just Teslas only but others. While it would be hugely entertaining to watch them crashed into each other, the competition will very quickly advance roadway recognition and predictive AI on self driving while in traffic situation. Everything to gain and nothing to lose. 

--

SSO, you are blessed with all your wonderful cars. Smiley  Enjoy them while you can, drive them as much as you can and as often as you can, otherwise you will regret it sooner or later. Life is short. No time to slow down. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

SSO, you are blessed with all your wonderful cars. Smiley  Enjoy them while you can, drive them as much as you can and as often as you can, otherwise you will regret it sooner or later. Life is short. No time to slow down. Smiley Smiley

Im trying Smiley

Whoopsy:

Hybrids are never meant to be the future or last a long time. They are the bridging product between normal cars and cars of the future, be it electric or hydrogen or whatever we will come up with. And as of this moment in time, they are the best solution. Nothing more, nothing less.

IF the future is EVs, that means a heavy car, and currently the manufacturer with the most experience making weight disappeared is Porsche, closing in on 10 years of experience.

I haven't paid much attention to the SF90, so can't really comment on that car. But if Ferrari is even half as good as Porsche in engineering department, which I believe they are way better than that, then the brake' feel' matter is something that gets blown out of proportion. 

There is currently 4 cars in my possession that have blended braking, 918, Panamera turbo S, Taycan and my e-Tron. 918 without a doubt is the 1st generation, Panamera has the 2nd gen, I would put the e-Tron as gen 2.5 and Taycan is the 3rd generation, current product. 

99% of the time, the switchover is not perceivable, even in the 918. I can find it if I really want to, but what's the point? At that point, I am not concentrating on DRIVING the car, pointless to worry or think about it. The other 3 honestly I cannot find the switchover even if I tried. Really hard. Like looking at the G-meter since I know when the crossover happen and even with that I still can't feel it.

And what is good brake 'feel'? It's a very subjective thing. But to me, and most people, good brake feels means a firm solid pedal. Linear application would be another good thing, but a progressive pedal I can also work with. 

Horrible pedal feels are the ones with mushy pedals, and that comes from having air trapped in the brake lines. 

A certain Randy Pobst would agree...kiss

"The 918, I trust that, I can drive that car. Its hybrid braking is beautifully integrated. "

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/a32629105/watch-randy-pobst-drive-918-laferrari-p1-huayra/

I would definitely give the SF90 a try if I could afford one. 😎

--

RC:

I actually have no interest in the SF90. The only Ferrari that I would like to try right now is the 812 GTS.

kiss NA !

SSO.:
    RC:

I actually have no interest in the SF90. The only Ferrari that I would like to try right now is the 812 GTS.

Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

SSO.:
    RC:

You have many many options, I don‘t. So from my perspective, the SF90 makes more sense for me. I understand though why you want the 812 GTS, beautiful car, great n/a engine and I assume quite limited in production as well. In Germany, it is almost impossible to get one as a non Ferrari customer and even if you are a good customer, there is apparently some sort of “recommendation list” of people who “deserve” to get one. Ferrari knows how to play the game. 👀

--

RC:
    SSO.:
    RC:

You have many many options, I don‘t. So from my perspective, the SF90 makes more sense for me. I understand though why you want the 812 GTS, beautiful car, great n/a engine and I assume quite limited in production as well. In Germany, it is almost impossible to get one as a non Ferrari customer and even if you are a good customer, there is apparently some sort of “recommendation list” of people who “deserve” to get one. Ferrari knows how to play the game. 👀

Being realistic, my chances of getting a 812 GTS are less than zero.

I would always try...you never know. Smiley Good luck, people like you deserve such cars, not those who don't care about them and just lock them away in a garage to collect them as an investment. Smiley

--

RC:

not those who don't care about them and just lock them away in a garage to collect them as an investment. Smiley

Like here in the UK with the Porsche GT’s. Bunfight to get one, then they don’t use them.

Think that bubble may have finally burst though with the current financial climate.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

RC:

I would always try...you never know. Smiley Good luck, people like you deserve such cars, not those who don't care about them and just lock them away in a garage to collect them as an investment. Smiley

Appreciated.Smiley

Drove the SF90 for a couple of hours and despite that it's REALLY fast - it was way to clinical for my taste. Also didn't like the electronics such as start button (swipe) cockpit was to busy for me.(Ev mode it also changes layout etc)  Also under heavy braking u feel the weight compared to a F8 or Pista. For the 720k CHF the Factory car was fully optioned I would rather buy a TDF or a V12 NA car for much less. I guess I am getting old....

SF90.jpg

BjoernB:

Drove the SF90 for a couple of hours and despite that it's REALLY fast - it was way to clinical for my taste. Also didn't like the electronics such as start button (swipe) cockpit was to busy for me.(Ev mode it also changes layout etc)  Also under heavy braking u feel the weight compared to a F8 or Pista. For the 720k CHF the Factory car was fully optioned I would rather buy a TDF or a V12 NA car for much less. I guess I am getting old....

SF90.jpg

The 918 feels heavy compared to GT3RS, but it's still a keeper Smiley

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

I probably sound like a broken record every time the SF90 and the Roma come up but both those cars just look so great to my eyes. Well done design department. 

Screen grab from a short video sent out today with Enrico Galliera confirming the launch of the new V6 turbo hybrid model is set for next Thursday, 24th June.

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 14.12.22.png

And where does a v6 hybrid fit into their increasingly busy lineup?  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

This model will effectively replace the F8 Tributo in the model range once production gets underway. The V8 in hybrid form will then become the top level engine as the V12 will not continue after the end of the 812 Competizione production run.

ISUK:

This model will effectively replace the F8 Tributo in the model range once production gets underway. The V8 in hybrid form will then become the top level engine as the V12 will not continue after the end of the 812 Competizione production run.

Not even in the halo car? aka LaFerrari succesor?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688486 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408677 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255514 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234758 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65376 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857551 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773317 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM