Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

I like the looks but you are 100% on that Joost. To be blunt, I'm not sure if that's a great thing...

Boxster Coupe GTS:

“New Audi RS e-tron GT electric supercar to boast around 700bhp” (Auto Express)

The hot Audi RS e-tron GT will use a triple-electric motor set-up and our exclusive images preview how it could look...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

(16 October 2020)

It has been confirmed that a hot Audi RS e-tron GT will crown the German brand’s electric performance car line-up. The RS e-tron GT will be the first fully electric vehicle to be developed by Audi Sport, and it will go on sale alongside the regular saloon in the middle of next year.

Audi had intended to launch the standard e-tron GT at this year’s Los Angeles Motor Show, but plans were scrapped due to the ongoing pandemic. The grand unveiling is now scheduled for early in 2021, but already Audi has confirmed that a hot version will be launched at the same time. It marks quite a shift in strategy at Audi Sport, whose models tend to be launched around two years after the arrival of the regular version.

Previewed in our exclusive images, the RS e-tron GT will be clearly marked out by a unique aero-optimised bodykit, flared wheelarches and an aggressive rear diffuser designed to create more downforce at higher speeds. The roof and some trim will be made from carbon fibre, to help save weight.

Under the skin, the e-tron GT, as well as the hot RS version, will be based on the same platform as the Porsche Taycan. Audi has yet to issue any official details or performance data on the powertrain, but the e-tron GT will use a triple-electric motor set-up, whereas the Taycan only uses two.

A large 95kWh battery is expected to be fitted to the RS model, while two electric motors will be attached to the rear axle and one on the front. Active and fully variable torque vectoring will control the power split at the rear wheels to maximise agility and handling. Audi even says the triple-motor set-up allows “the capacity to perform controlled drifts”. Unique chassis tuning, re-engineered suspension and a lowered ride height will all feature on the RS.

Using the Taycan as a benchmark, expect power from the RS e-tron GT to be in the region of 700bhp. That will ensure a 0-62mph time of around three seconds. The large battery should enable a range of around 250 miles on a single charge, while the platform has been developed to accommodate rapid charging at a rate of 270kW. The flagship model is expected to cost in excess of £120,000 when it arrives, while lesser versions of the e-tron GT should start from around £80,000.

All versions of the e-tron GT will be produced at Audi’s Böllinger Höfe facility in Neckarsulm where the R8 supercar is also built. The flexibility of the site also allows the company to produce additional body styles, should Audi choose to broaden the e-tron GT line-up.

Link: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/audi-e-tron-gt/353485/new-audi-rs-e-tron-gt-electric-supercar-boast-around-700bhp

Smiley

It’s worth keeping in mind that Audi sell in excess of 1 million new cars a year, so the installed Audi customer base - and hence target customers for the Audi e-tron GT - is very significant... Smiley

As you would expect, the pricing from Audi will be a bit inside the Porsche Taycan...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

It's a good looking product, I'm sure it will sell very wellwink

Better priced than a Taycan & better looking than a Taycan IMO... don't think they will build them fast enough

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

Better priced than a Taycan & better looking than a Taycan IMO... don't think they will build them fast enough

I like it but kind of expensive. Why is it so slow with all these motors?  Just going to mention that the little model3 is quicker and costs half the price with more range and tech.  But I know the Tesla is so ugly to some that this makes perfect sense. 
     Curious why they claim this is Audi Sports first EV and then they tell us it is based on the Taycan. A bit of a contradiction, not that it matters, it is just weird reporting. 

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:

I like it but kind of expensive. Why is it so slow with all these motors?  Just going to mention that the little model3 is quicker and costs half the price with more range and tech.  But I know the Tesla is so ugly to some that this makes perfect sense. 

There is many other reasons besides it being uglier... you get what you pay for. They are different alternatives, each has its plusses.

--

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

https://youtu.be/EFAu2xquedk

interesting. Under 2 seconds is of course not possible. 

Nothing can get into your brain? Explained to you many times already, if there is suitable tires available, there is at least 10 if not 20 cars CURRENTLY on the road that can break 2 seconds 0-60. Literally cars are limited by tire traction, not power.

Cars have more power than traction, waiting for the traction part to catch up. Elementary physics.

The Roadster will have booster rockets like Knight Rider

That was not even a tesla story. I don’t know what to say.  It was our good buddy Nico and a Swiss EV. 

As a side note - with computer controlled electric motors traction is much less of an issue than with an ICE. Picture a dog chasing a cat on a tile floor.  It is not just about the instant torque but the ability to provide the maximum amount of power every split second of the acceleration run.  While you can even further optimize tires for this for even larger gains the you simply can’t control the ICE engines power output to such an instant degree.  You never take this into account even though you have the Taycan which certainly demonstrates this to you.  I recall you like the traction from the snow tires. Guess why. 

I know it’s not a Tesla story, and what is discussed isn’t Tesla specific either. You are somehow got hooked by some misinformation. 
    Modern traction control is modulated by the braking system, cutting engine power is the last resort, so the power plant of choice, be it a electric motor or an engine have no bearing, they are simply the torque producing device. 

as it stands, it’s already all electronically controlled. Gas or electric powered.

The brake system is the last ‘gate’ or ‘nozzle’’ before torque reaches the tire and then the road. And the ‘tank’ behind that nozzle does not need microsecond control, pointless so to speak, a false myth propaganda by EV lovers.

Don’t forget, I have the fastest 0-60 car currently available, the 918, and I have done many many LC starts on it, I know and can feel what’s lacking for sub 2 seconds runs.

--

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:

Curious why they claim this is Audi Sports first EV and then they tell us it is based on the Taycan. A bit of a contradiction, not that it matters, it is just weird reporting. 

Tesla 3 = entry level, low price

This e-tron = premium product, high price

Few buyers will buy entry-level if the can afford premium. Thus, Tesla 3 (outdated model

S neither) won’t be of much relevance to the target audience for this Audi or the Taycan.

MKSGR:
    Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:

Few buyers will buy entry-level if the can afford premium. Thus, Tesla 3 (outdated model

S neither) won’t be of much relevance to the target audience for this Audi or the Taycan.

Teslas, even Model 3, isn't entry level. The Korean offerings are. Heck, even the Leaf can be considered entry level EVs.

--

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

https://youtu.be/EFAu2xquedk

interesting. Under 2 seconds is of course not possible. 

Nothing can get into your brain? Explained to you many times already, if there is suitable tires available, there is at least 10 if not 20 cars CURRENTLY on the road that can break 2 seconds 0-60. Literally cars are limited by tire traction, not power.

Cars have more power than traction, waiting for the traction part to catch up. Elementary physics.

The Roadster will have booster rockets like Knight Rider

That was not even a tesla story. I don’t know what to say.  It was our good buddy Nico and a Swiss EV. 

As a side note - with computer controlled electric motors traction is much less of an issue than with an ICE. Picture a dog chasing a cat on a tile floor.  It is not just about the instant torque but the ability to provide the maximum amount of power every split second of the acceleration run.  While you can even further optimize tires for this for even larger gains the you simply can’t control the ICE engines power output to such an instant degree.  You never take this into account even though you have the Taycan which certainly demonstrates this to you.  I recall you like the traction from the snow tires. Guess why. 

I know it’s not a Tesla story, and what is discussed isn’t Tesla specific either. You are somehow got hooked by some misinformation. 
    Modern traction control is modulated by the braking system, cutting engine power is the last resort, so the power plant of choice, be it a electric motor or an engine have no bearing, they are simply the torque producing device. 

as it stands, it’s already all electronically controlled. Gas or electric powered.

The brake system is the last ‘gate’ or ‘nozzle’’ before torque reaches the tire and then the road. And the ‘tank’ behind that nozzle does not need microsecond control, pointless so to speak, a false myth propaganda by EV lovers.

Don’t forget, I have the fastest 0-60 car currently available, the 918, and I have done many many LC starts on it, I know and can feel what’s lacking for sub 2 seconds runs.

--

I have no idea why you think posting a video means I was mislead by it but okay. I’m simple to manipulate - yet I stand my ground here. Hmmm
    You just illustrated all the problems of ICE traction management. For starters you don’t have an engine with all the torque available to control from 0 rpm. After that, once power is greater than traction, you change spark, fuel and even aply brakes ala McLaren. I get all that. I see why you defend milliseconds not being required. They can’t make a difference.  It is highly inefficient and while you can computer control all this it is like an automated buggy whip flogging a horse by comparison to how a computer modulates power from an electric motor. 
    Tell me I’m wrong. 
    Hilariously you affirm your bias which is your investment in a 2sec car which interestingly enough uses an electric motor to torque fill.  You don’t see the irony that the electric motor in the 918 IS all about the launch to 60 or whatever. 
    Back to why you think the snow tires have such good traction in your Taycan.  You just can’t beat computers and electric motors.  I will let interested readers of this judge who is on the right track.  

On a side note. I don’t think I’m old but I may be too old for a 2 second launch. There have been drives in the Tesla where after a couple quick starts I don’t feel so good. Like physically ill.  While fun I do take doing it too often into consideration. Especially for passengers. Frankly there should be one of those warnings for pregnant woman etc. 

Whoopsy:
    MKSGR:
    Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:

Teslas, even Model 3, isn't entry level. The Korean offerings are. Heck, even the Leaf can be considered entry level EVs.

Compared to this new Audi or Taycan Tesla is entry-level...

Leawood911:

I have no idea why you think posting a video means I was mislead by it but okay. I’m simple to manipulate - yet I stand my ground here. Hmmm
    You just illustrated all the problems of ICE traction management. For starters you don’t have an engine with all the torque available to control from 0 rpm. After that, once power is greater than traction, you change spark, fuel and even aply brakes ala McLaren. I get all that. I see why you defend milliseconds not being required. They can’t make a difference.  It is highly inefficient and while you can computer control all this it is like an automated buggy whip flogging a horse by comparison to how a computer modulates power from an electric motor. 
    Tell me I’m wrong. 
    Hilariously you affirm your bias which is your investment in a 2sec car which interestingly enough uses an electric motor to torque fill.  You don’t see the irony that the electric motor in the 918 IS all about the launch to 60 or whatever. 
    Back to why you think the snow tires have such good traction in your Taycan.  You just can’t beat computers and electric motors.  I will let interested readers of this judge who is on the right track.  

On a side note. I don’t think I’m old but I may be too old for a 2 second launch. There have been drives in the Tesla where after a couple quick starts I don’t feel so good. Like physically ill.  While fun I do take doing it too often into consideration. Especially for passengers. Frankly there should be one of those warnings for pregnant woman etc. 

It's not about this video that you are misled by the propaganda. Started way before this video. 

You, and others that started this myth, assumed the electric motor or the gas engine is the one providing the traction management with power output adjustment. It isn't, up to a point. Torque is only cut at the source, i.e. electric motor or the engine, if the braking system is overwhelmed by the output and the spinning wheels can't be controlled.

In case you haven't been paying attention, on Launch Control, the engine rpm is brought up to optimal range, they don't start from zero. See that rev needle holding steady at whatever rpm the car selected? That is the same as a electric motor starting at zero rpm with the instant torque. 

The torque output of the motor, electric or gasoline, is held steady while the braking system control the wheel spins, regulating torque transmitted to the tire up to available traction limit. That's how Launch Control works. Even in the Taycan. There is no advantage from using a electric motor against a normal engine. Tire traction is a finite amount, no amount of 'milisecond micromanagement' can exceed that. Physics again.

As for the 918 launches, weird you think the e-motors are only there for 0-60 launches. It isn't. It helps at any speed, high speed, low speed, from rest, etc. Corner exits is the primary function of the electric help. It's just cherry on top that the 918 can do 2 second 0-60 all day long. 

My Panamera turbo S have great traction on snow tires too, same with the 918, or even my Exclusive. It's all about the computer interpreting available traction. Especially the Exclusive. All about handling of the car and how good the grip is for the tire. Nothing about electric motors dude. 

--

Tesla’s ‘Full Self-Driving’ beta test has caught the attention of federal safety regulators

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/23/21530411/teslas-full-self-driving-beta-test-nhtsa

--

nberry:
    Nick, if Biden wins the election Tesla will be In good position to  increase profits and growth. It could be a huge buy. Musk companies products are well aligned with Biden’s environmental plans. Smiley

You know how economies work, right? If people have less money in their pockets, they cannot buy Teslas. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Agreed, Teslas aren't entry level, in no way. Smiley

The Taycan is basically a higher quality Tesla S.

The Tesla 3 has no real competitor in my opinion.

The Audi E-Tron GT will certainly take away some customers from the Taycan but I doubt it is going to be in the much lower Tesla S price range. Which is a shame.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    nberry:
    Nick, if Biden wins the election Tesla will be In good position to  increase profits and growth. It could be a huge buy. Musk companies products are well aligned with Biden’s environmental plans. Smiley

You know how economies work, right? If people have less money in their pockets, they cannot buy Teslas. Smiley

But from the perspective of the Ruling Class Elite, the future looks bright for Tesla and their bank accounts. 

RC:

Agreed, Teslas aren't entry level, in no way. Smiley

The Taycan is basically a higher quality Tesla S.

The Tesla 3 has no real competitor in my opinion.

The Audi E-Tron GT will certainly take away some customers from the Taycan but I doubt it is going to be in the much lower Tesla S price range. Which is a shame.

Teslas look like typical mid-class cars from around 5 years ago... And they are also old (design 5years plus)...

I think Teslas aged well... Of course no comparison to the Audi or Porsche design but still... Look at the i3, the Leaf, the Zoe or others. Smiley

Talked to my Audi dealer today (I was curious about RS Q8 offers, I have to plan for the end of next year) and he told me that the Audi E-Tron GT will start at close to 100k EUR, slightly below the Taycan 4S. Ouch. 

Got an amazing lease offer last week for a fully optioned new 2020 Range Rover Sport Autobiography with 525 hp, also an almost as amazing lease offer for a fully optioned new 2020 Range Rover Sport SVR with 575 hp but I still have a year on my GLC63 S, so... Smiley Today my wife went there to bring the Evoque in for service and both cars were already gone. Smiley Not that I would have taken one of the offers but they were really...wow. Smiley No initial payment, one car was 999 EUR per month (36 months, 10k km per year), the other one (SVR) 1200 EUR per month. 

Then I look at the Mercedes or especially Porsche offers I got and I am shocked. Smiley My dealer promised that they are going to have much better lease offers next year, they are going to add a second lease company next to Porsche Financial but if the difference is only a couple of hundreds per month, no thanks.

Audi isn't much better right now, the amazing lease offers they always had for various cars seem to be gone for now. 

BMW? I haven't checked for a while but no BMW really tempts me right now. Smiley

Difficult to find the right business car...EV or not...SUV or sedan...difficult.

An EV would have a huge fiscal advantage for me but I'm still not sure if I want one. Smiley

--

RC:

I think Teslas aged well... Of course no comparison to the Audi or Porsche design but still... Look at the i3, the Leaf, the Zoe or others. Smiley

You are right, the design could have aged worse. I just feel the cars have a design very close to typical medium-sized sedans from Ford etc. The Tesla's just look interchangeable, if you know what I mean. They don't create a positive impact. You rarely realize the design as it is so muted (and boring). If I was Tesla I would work on this, if they want to compete with the existing and upcoming EV products of other OEMs.

RC:

An EV would have a huge fiscal advantage for me but I'm still not sure if I want one. Smiley

--

If you have the charging infrastructure at home/business and mostly use the car for shorter distances an EV might be an interesting experiment. If I was you I would focus on Taycan and this new e-tron above. The Taycan handles very, very well. Great product. And the Audi above just looks wonderful Smiley

Like the Porsche sedan which was ugly at first - it became attractive once the performance was unveiled. 
    Same with their SUV. Designs can come to represent something. There are also plenty of attractive cars which did not deliver the goods which look bad as a result. 
    For running to work in a climate where you try to not attract attention the ugly little model3 may not be a bad choice. It handles well enough to beat the Taycan 4s around a racetrack. So it may not be be a bad choice for a low key slot car. One could buy two model3s for the price of one Taycan 4s and if resale or depreciation is an issue I think we can see one of them is counting on irrational consumers with good taste and money to spare.  
    It would be so fun to have RC drive a model3 for a few months.  I could use the help. 

A Tesla owner's take on Full Self Driving and how incomplete the system is at this time.  https://www.thedrive.com/tech/37282/tesla-owner-videos-show-full-self-driving-beta-has-a-long-way-to-go 

Tesla is pushing hard against the limits of prudence and liability with its latest software release.  This isn't the virtual world of gaming where depressing a button sets the world anew.  

CGX car nut:

A Tesla owner's take on Full Self Driving and how incomplete the system is at this time.  https://www.thedrive.com/tech/37282/tesla-owner-videos-show-full-self-driving-beta-has-a-long-way-to-go 

Tesla is pushing hard against the limits of prudence and liability with its latest software release.  This isn't the virtual world of gaming where depressing a button sets the world anew.  

Yes. It has a long way to go. Fascinating to watch the progress.  I don’t have full self driving but hope that someday it will be a subscription service I can choose to buy for long trips by the hour or by the mile.  For use on long boring highways in good weather while paying close attention of course. 

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

Yes. It has a long way to go. Fascinating to watch the progress.  I don’t have full self driving but hope that someday it will be a subscription service I can choose to buy for long trips by the hour or by the mile.  For use on long boring highways in good weather while paying close attention of course. 

You are probably one of the worst students of human behavior, outside the staff of Tesla’s human-machine interface laboratory, on the planet. 

For this whole 'autopilot' thing, the simplest solution is to have the system pass a driver license test like humans do. That way, we know the system would at least perform up to human standard. 

Since people think current voice control function is so great, then it should have no problem understanding the examiners instructions like turn right , turn left, go straight, parallel park here, etc. 

I would suggest the German license standard to start with. 

--

Whoopsy:

For this whole 'autopilot' thing, the simplest solution is to have the system pass a driver license test like humans do. That way, we know the system would at least perform up to human standard. 

Since people think current voice control function is so great, then it should have no problem understanding the examiners instructions like turn right , turn left, go straight, parallel park here, etc. 

So you want Tesla to close shop? 😂😉

--

RC:
    Whoopsy:

So you want Tesla to close shop? 😂😉

Nah, they should have enough programmers on payroll to write a good enough software. 

I means it's just a standard, and if computer driving a car is so good, they should have no problem performing up to the German driving standard. It was a joy to drive among German drivers, much better experience than driving in say China, Hong Kong, South Africa, Hungary, Romania or the Netherlands.

If you are driving among robotic drivers, don't you want them to perform at least as good as humans? I am not even asking for perfection, as human drivers aren't perfect. 

--

CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

You are probably one of the worst students of human behavior, outside the staff of Tesla’s human-machine interface laboratory, on the planet. 

What do you mean by this?  I’m a psych major with a keen interest in human behavior. Was just meant as an insult. I tried my best to indicate that Tesla has a long way to go. I also noted that I don’t even own self driving. Next I mentioned that once perfected and a available as a subscription I would enjoy using it while carefully monitoring the progress of the car.  I can’t see anything at all which I wrote that anyone could possibly find wrong in any way. 
    So what is it?  And why will I next be accused of taking this shit personally?  Get a fucking life. 

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/cadillac-super-cruise-outperforms-other-active-driving-assistance-systems/#2

So 2 years alter Tesla still haven't caught up with GM. And the gap is widening. So much for saying Autopilot is the best, well it's currently a distant 2nd best.

--

CGX car nut:

No need for this... Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688691 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255552 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234810 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857627 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773465 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM