Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Hummer... rises again as EV

Just announced, an all electric off road focused SUV, reviving the Hummer brand (which was of course world renowned for its green credentials).   350 mile range, 1000 hp, air suspension, and it can crabwalk.....

https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev

For all four of you who might be in the market.... Watt (for a laugh....), maybe the RT contingent in the Middle East.....Smiley

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

Re: Hummer... rises again as EV

Wow that’s ugly. 

And as for price, $US 113,00 for the early adopters "first" version, cheaper models will be offered in due course.... eventually a  $79,000 version will appear in a year, or so, ..... where have I heard that strategy  before?  yes 

--

So attractive and tempting. Why would anyone want or wait for a Tesla 'truck' where there is such a Hummer?

Just the brand value alone is worth much more between Hummer and Tesla. Not even counting content.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT TRUCK!!!

--

TBH I dont like Tesla cars... I think fir of all they look very boring, no emotion whatsoever weather on the inside nor on the outside. Second the quality that you get for that price is really a joke IMO. The only car that looks tempting in my eyes is the Tesla Roadster, but where is it?? The truck looks like a big joke IMO. 

I dont want to take away from Tesla what they achieved... the brought EV on the map, and now nobody can stop the EV market anymore, wich is kind of good (never taught I would say that). 

I would buy this truck over a Tesla any day at least there is emotion... about the quality not so sure... had bad experience with GM group... but I think in General that American cars are quality wise still behind German cars...

Whoopsy:

So attractive and tempting. Why would anyone want or wait for a Tesla 'truck' where there is such a Hummer?

Just the brand value alone is worth much more between Hummer and Tesla. Not even counting content.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT TRUCK!!!

Funny you mention that because when I was looking at the video of this EV truck, the image of the Tesla truck inevitably popped into my mind and I let out a chuckle outloud remembering how embarrassingly comical it looked compared to this EV truck. Having another EV truck coming out looking like a normal truck and not a 3rd grader's caricature makes the Tesla truck look even more ridiculous.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Shaich:

TBH I dont like Tesla cars... I think fir of all they look very boring, no emotion whatsoever weather on the inside nor on the outside. Second the quality that you get for that price is really a joke IMO. The only car that looks tempting in my eyes is the Tesla Roadster, but where is it?? The truck looks like a big joke IMO. 

I dont want to take away from Tesla what they achieved... the brought EV on the map, and now nobody can stop the EV market anymore, wich is kind of good (never taught I would say that). 

I would buy this truck over a Tesla any day at least there is emotion... about the quality not so sure... had bad experience with GM group... but I think in General that American cars are quality wise still behind German cars...

I'm afraid so...but US cars have made a lot of ground lately and they are getting there (quality) eventually.

Have you read the latest Supertest in Sport Auto? Just the Ford Mustang GT. Nothing fancy. The car wasn't even capable of finishing one(!) Nordschleife lap without overheating/power loss issues. First car to fail on the Nordschleife. Now I wonder what would happen with the new Shelby GT 500? I had a 2016 (I think) GT 500, tuned to over 760 hp and the tuner clearly said I have to install a bigger intercooler to avoid a heat soak, especially during summer months. Also installed a McLeod RTX dual disc clutch to cope with the additional torque (over 1060 Nm) because my first clutch was gone after 5000 km. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    Shaich:

I'm afraid so...but US cars have made a lot of ground lately and they are getting there (quality) eventually.

Have you read the latest Supertest in Sport Auto? Just the Ford Mustang GT. Nothing fancy. The car wasn't even capable of finishing one(!) Nordschleife lap without overheating/power loss issues. First car to fail on the Nordschleife. Now I wonder what would happen with the new Shelby GT 500? I had a 2016 (I think) GT 500, tuned to over 760 hp and the tuner clearly said I have to install a bigger intercooler to avoid a heat soak, especially during summer months. Also installed a McLeod RTX dual disc clutch to cope with the additional torque (over 1060 Nm) because my first clutch was gone after 5000 km. Smiley

Why am I not surprisedSmiley... but at the end of the day... you get what you pay for I guess, as the US cars are really "afordable" compared to German cars, but seems as you say the gap is closing also quolaity wise and also price wise... there were times where an Escallade was full full something like 65k USD if I am not mistaken... today its starting at 75k... still good value for the money compared to a GLS...

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT with a tune (self-programmable with a small device) Smiley Smiley and a Bawarrion exhaust (the claps could be manually opened) and we loved this car. It sounded like a typical V8 muscle car, handling was quite amazing for such a big and heavy car and it was fast (measured 0-100 kph in 4.4 seconds) but quality wasn't really great. At speeds over 240 kph (this car was capable of doing almost 270 on the speedo), there was a loud whining noise, probably coming from the plastic front fenders which had a serious gap (one was even popping out all the time, almost lost it once). The battery drain was also a serious issue until Chrysler offered a software update to fix it. It was a fascinating and fast truck, I almost bought it after the lease ended, my dealer wanted to install a supercharger and program my engine to over 600 hp but I heard that Jeep is bringing the Hellcat engine into the Grand Cherokee, so I declined. 

I almost bought a Grand Cherokee Trackhawk last year, had an offer from a dealer here for a brand-new official EU market car for only 85k EUR, car was registered to the dealer but had only 30 km. It took me too long to think about it, dealer sold the car two hours after the the deadline I had. Met a guy at my Lamborghini dealer last year, he runs two hotels in the Alps, he had a Trackhawk (and a Urus and many other Lambos) and threw me the keys for a short test-drive. The Trackhawk was definitely at a higher quality level than my previous SRT, so sad I didn't buy that one for 85k. Smiley

I am still thinking about getting one for my business but my business car list got really weird, I not only have a Trackhawk on it but also the G63 and...the Tesla 3 Performance or Tesla S Plaid. Smiley Smiley Well...I have another year to think about it. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

yes I kneo the isses they have with higher speeds... I had an escallade and from 150kph it was a desaster to sit in it... noises all over the place... and I had many problems and in Vienna we did not have an offical dealer for thise cars.and the delaer where I baught it from went bankrupt a year after... so I had to pay everything that broke down... even the air conditioner compressor failed after three year... really crazy amount of mey this car cost me over 6 years.. was happy when I sold it.

I swa many videos about the Trackhawck.. really interestig car... a real bargain for 85k EUR... you guys in germany are cery lucky with teh car prises.. in Austria prices are getting out of proportion... we have 20% VAT and up to 32% additional NoVa.. depents on the engine... G63 has 28% NoVa I thnk... really crazy... but I love the G63 the new model is finally there...

The first year of production is sold out.

--

A good memory is fine but the ability to forget is the one true test of greatness.

The Hummer project is Al Oppenheiser's latest creation. He did the Camaro program for GM. He is a proper car guy and do things right. Star engineer for GM, one reason why he was picked to head the Hummer project. 

GM's version of Dr. Frank Walliser.

--

American car engineers know nothing about cars or trucks. cool

--

A good memory is fine but the ability to forget is the one true test of greatness.

nberry:

American car engineers know nothing about cars or trucks. cool

I'd say they know a thing or two about trucks given their market share. We'll see when it comes to EV's...

I absolutely love that Hummer

Definitely growing on me.

DaveChapin:

Me too. With 1000 hp and off-road capabilities, this thing should sell well. 

I like it, had two Hummer rentals in the US when the kids were small, we all loved the Hummer.

--

RC:
    DaveChapin:

I like it, had two Hummer rentals in the US when the kids were small, we all loved the Hummer.

It sold out already... at least the edition 1 that should be delivered in 2021,.. only options available now are the less powerful ones that should be delivered 22,23 &24... an each year there is less power... I don’t really get this strategy Smiley

Shaich:
    RC:
    DaveChapin:

It sold out already... at least the edition 1 that should be delivered in 2021,.. only options available now are the less powerful ones that should be delivered 22,23 &24... an each year there is less power... I don’t really get this strategy Smiley

Easy strategy to understand.  EV component costs remain relatively high in relation to component costs associated with ICE production.   Therefore, General Motors is seeking to maintain margins by introducing the most expensive version first, it becomes a halo product to draw consumers into the GMC showrooms where it is hoped the consumer will purchase other products, and as production levels increase, General Motors is able to introduce lower priced variants and still cover its desired margins.  

Look for key components of the Hummer EV to appear in other General Motors products in the next few years including a rumored Cadillac Escalade-type SUV.  

Interestingly, while looking at the images of the Hummer, one sees more linage with the Chevrolet Avalanche and the Lamborghini LM002 than the Hummer H1 or H2.  I have visited the AM General facility where the original H1 was built and where the H2 was assembled under contract for General Motors.  The H1 still remains an amazing vehicle with unparalleled off-road capabilities.  

CGX car nut:
    Shaich:
    RC:
    DaveChapin:

Easy strategy to understand.  EV component costs remain relatively high in relation to component costs associated with ICE production.   Therefore, General Motors is seeking to maintain margins by introducing the most expensive version first, it becomes a halo product to draw consumers into the GMC showrooms where it is hoped the consumer will purchase other products, and as production levels increase, General Motors is able to introduce lower priced variants and still cover its desired margins.  

Look for key components of the Hummer EV to appear in other General Motors products in the next few years including a rumored Cadillac Escalade-type SUV.  

Interestingly, while looking at the images of the Hummer, one sees more linage with the Chevrolet Avalanche and the Lamborghini LM002 than the Hummer H1 or H2.  I have visited the AM General facility where the original H1 was built and where the H2 was assembled under contract for General Motors.  The H1 still remains an amazing vehicle with unparalleled off-road capabilities.  

But I dont understad why they dont add every year another variant, the give you for every variant a delivery year wich is exclusive, I would get it if they would just add every year and additional model, but that is not the case and so desnt make sense! Lets say I would like to pre order 1000HP model for 2022 I cant, and for 2021 it is already sold out! strage Smiley

The First Edition is allegedly sold out.  GMC is listing the versions to be added to the Hummer EV line in addition to the previously added variants.  They will not be dropping the higher performance variants from the lineup.  

OK now it makes sense,.. indecision

CrabWalk mode smiley

Topspeed:

CrabWalk mode smiley

Nothing new and many European cars have rear wheel steering for several years to enhance low speed maneuverability and high speed stability.  Mercedes increased the rear wheel steering angle on its new S-Class compared to other systems and this does the same. 

Hmmm. General Motors is more like Tesla than one imagined.  The Hummer EV doesn’t exist beyond CGI models.  https://insideevs.com/news/450345/gm-admits-no-gmc-hummer-ev-exists-yet/

CGX car nut:

Hmmm. General Motors is more like Tesla than one imagined.  The Hummer EV doesn’t exist beyond CGI models.  https://insideevs.com/news/450345/gm-admits-no-gmc-hummer-ev-exists-yet/

Actually you can watch daily progress of the factory being built in Austin. GM has no one tracking their progress. Btw I love watching the drone videos of the Berlin factory being built. 

CGX car nut:
    Topspeed:

CrabWalk mode smiley

Nothing new and many European cars have rear wheel steering for several years to enhance low speed maneuverability and high speed stability.  Mercedes increased the rear wheel steering angle on its new S-Class compared to other systems and this does the same. 

In other cars the rear wheels turn the opposite direction of fronts, at low speed.

In case of the new S Class it goes to a insane 10º.

CGX car nut:

Apparently the first bodies are off the line this week; once assembled up, some go north for winter testing and some go south for desert testing.... I would trust GM's production timelines a bit more than some other companies out there.  Of course there could still be C-19 complications, or new tech complications,... 

--

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

Actually you can watch daily progress of the factory being built in Austin. GM has no one tracking their progress. Btw I love watching the drone videos of the Berlin factory being built. 

Statement was directed at product not assembly halls. General Motors has assigned the production facility, renamed Project Zero, in Hamtramck, Michigan, just north of downtown Detroit, One can care less about the status of Tesla production halls under construction.  

4trac:
    CGX car nut:

Apparently the first bodies are off the line this week; once assembled up, some go north for winter testing and some go south for desert testing.... I would trust GM's production timelines a bit more than some other companies out there.  Of course there could still be C-19 complications, or new tech complications,... 

Most companies introduce new product while in the initial or pony run phase.  There are too many unknowns for General Motors to just wing it.  That cavalier attitude is more appropriate for another U.S. based automaker.  

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753346 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430842 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258655 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255503 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79557 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868431 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802032 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM