Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 992 GT3 Touring...

Confirmed with my dealer I should get an early one but the massive  wing is giving me second thoughts. I understand the need for it on a track but since I don’t track my cars the wing may look a little goofy on a public road. The wing is the first and last thing you see on the car. To me that’s not appealing.surprise

--

A good memory is fine but the ability to forget is the one true test of greatness.

anyone notices how slow it is at 02 min ish indecision

that wing is the real appeal to racecar like. I prefer the RS over the 3 from the mules. big 992 looks like a batmobile in RS mode kiss

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

thermique engine only Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

nberry:

Confirmed with my dealer I should get an early one but the massive  wing is giving me second thoughts. I understand the need for it on a track but since I don’t track my cars the wing may look a little goofy on a public road. The wing is the first and last thing you see on the car. To me that’s not appealing.surprise

It's not so much the size as much as how high and distanced posteriorly from the car it is, that makes it caricaturesque on a car that is driving on the public street.

The wing is so disproportionately exaggerated that it goes beyond anything you could get used to with time IMO. It looks plain silly on a road car, sorry to say.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

That wing will not make it to production. Way too big indecision

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Gnil:
    the-missile:

thermique engine only Smiley

It looks like the 4.2 is broken indecision or testing the 3 cylinders on demand 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Is a wing of this size even road legel?

Honey, I’m just popping out to Starbucks...   C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

089858DD-1897-4D3C-818C-AF0F690119BF.jpeg

... is that too much rear wing for cars and coffee? Smiley

Used for social distancing- Porsche is on top of it again. 

Nick- so happy for you!  Awesome

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Honey, I’m just popping out to Starbucks...   C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

089858DD-1897-4D3C-818C-AF0F690119BF.jpeg

... is that too much rear wing for cars and coffee? Smiley

With that size of a wing, I wouldn't be able to get into a Starbuck parking lot!Smiley

OTOH, instead of consuming the coffee in Starbucks, the wing would serve as the perfect standup table.Smiley

--

A good memory is fine but the ability to forget is the one true test of greatness.

While we are waiting for the official Porsche 992 GT3 announcement, here is a drive in the 4.2 litre 911 RSR racer...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

Porsche 911 RSR GTE — PistonHeads Review and Video...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

We get to drive the Le Mans racer that won 2019's World Endurance Championship...  

Porsche’s 911 RSR-19 is the real deal. The full monty. Sharing little more than a silhouette and only the innermost section of the chassis with the road model, it’s a thoroughbred race car. Wherever you look it ranks top of the Proper scale. First and foremost there is the engine, which is mid-mounted rather than rear, meaning the driver has nothing more than a thin carbonfibre bulkhead to dampen its flat-six blart. You’ll likely be familiar with it if you’ve been following the World Endurance Championship: the RSR’s 4.2-litre motor is about as vocal as they come. Especially when the Le Mans-spec side exhausts are attached, as they are for our test at Italy’s wonderfully old school Autodromo Vallelunga. Ear plugs are mandatory.

Vallelunga is a fitting place for a 911 RSR test because its two-mile layout is packed with both fast flowing corners and technical hairpins, perfect for demonstrating the immense downforce and low-speed agility of Porsche’s competition machine. We’re among the very first outside of Porsche’s factory squad and a small handful of customer teams to be granted access to the fully-fledged GTE car. But we’re assured by Porsche factory driver Gianmaria Bruni – who’s raced the mid-engined RSR since its 2018 debut – that it’ll be on our side today. 23 degrees ambient and a sun-baked asphalt surface are certainly about as much as we could have asked for. But a 515hp GTE car with an enormous wing and diffuser is, well, exactly that.

"You can drive it like a Cup car," responded Ben Barker, friend of PH and Gulf Racing driver, when asked via text for some words of wisdom. “There’s high aero load in the high-speed corners, but you’ll need more of a mechanical driver technique for slow speed rotation.” Apparently Vellelunga’s first sector is fast enough that I’ll be able to “lean on the downforce,” as the RSR “takes a lot”. “Don’t be shy of loading the car quickly through faster steering application in high speed,” adds Barker. It all sounds very good. But in the morning when Porsche starts up that engine with a deafening roar, the reality of it all quickly dawns on me. This is the spec that won the 2019 WEC.

The RSR’s 4.2-litre – Porsche’s biggest boxer motor yet and a heavily evolved design from the road-spec 4.0 we know and love – revs to 9,200rpm and with a six-speed sequential gearbox, it wants to be on the boil all lap long. The chassis, double wishbon’d all-round with adjustable coilovers and anti-roll bars, as you’d expect, is RSR-specific and the steel brakes, 390mm in diameter up front, will obviously take the worst kind of pounding and still stop the 1.2-tonne racer on its nose. Porsche moved the engine forward in the RSR-19 to clear space for the rear diffuser, as well as shift the weight balance forward. Aerodynamic grip is therefore said to be enormous, while mechanical grip shouldn’t exactly be lacking with the soft and sticky Michelin slicks underneath it all. The team to set the car up today are fresh from the WEC, so there are no excuses. Beyond supreme nerves.

After a double espresso and only one sighting lap in a 911 GT3 RS (quite restrictive, I reckon, for someone who’s previous experience of Vallelunga is restricted to YouTube onboards), I'm in the car. The seating position is predictably low - you’re barely a couple of inches off the pitlane surface - with the wheel and its expanse of buttons and digital screen straight ahead. Both it and the pedal box can be adjusted with just the pull of a lever, so as to make driver changes in endurance racing quick and easy. I opt for slightly bent arms and legs, so when the harnesses are tightened and the nets either side are attached, it’s a remarkably snug place to sit in. The cockpit’s hot, too, and you can hear the computer processor’s fan in the opposite footwell working overtime to keep the hardware cool. Thankfully, GTE cars run with air con out on circuit, so when the engineer signals to fire the engine I can focus on the job at hand as cold air fills the cabin.

...turn up the volume! Smiley

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxE0_wYNbYg

Even with ear plugs and a helmet full of padding, the naturally aspirated flat-six is really, really loud. It fires with a stab of revs and settles into a raucous idle, before its bark is echoed off the pitwall as I apply some throttle. The foot clutch is used only to pull away and it’s heavy (after, you’re free to left foot brake), but the motor’s instantaneous responses – it’s quite possibly the quickest reacting motor I’ve experienced – and unexpected smoothness means there’s none of the usual jumpiness that so often ends up in a stall. You pull away like you would in a highly-strung road car, click into second and let the pit limiter keep you at 60kph, motor chuntering into the electronic ceiling. Once you’re over the pit exit white line it’s a simple click of the button and the RSR explodes forward, revs firing upwards in an instant.

515hp isn’t exactly mind bending these days, but the closeness of the sequential ‘box’s ratios, not to mention the thud that each upshift pummels through the chassis, certainly makes it feel rapid on the approach to 150mph on the 547-metre straight. The shift lights flash up and down like strobes. And what a peach of race engineering the motor is; functioning so in tandem with your right foot that it appears to be tethered to your synapses in a way no road car engine could ever hope to be. The RSR doesn’t initially feel like a 911 at all; the nose doesn’t ask for load in order to bite - there’s just immense amounts of grip. And the steering, which is hydro-electric assisted but offers bags of information under load, isn’t overly fast so you’re encouraged to hammer in to Vallelunga’s fast entry bends without much fear of oversteer. The brakes are phenomenally powerful and limited only by the strength of your left leg. Suffice it to say the pace quickly builds.

Traction is nothing short of unbelievable. Sure, hot slicks and warm Italian asphalt go together like bread sticks and cheese fondue, but honestly, the rear axle’s ability to press the engine’s explosive delivery into the ground is mind blowing. Ten laps are obviously not enough to fully reach the car’s on-throttle limits, but I'm still able to confidently power out of the hairpins and get greedier and greedier on the exit of the last bend, a long right hander, with a handful of lock on. The car just digs in and hauls you onward. The GTE-spec traction control only needs to intervene if you get really, really greedy; even on bumpy corner exit kerbs it allows for a tiny degree of slippage, which sends that flat-six singing towards its limiter. What a feeling!

Confidence sky high, on the final two runs I really go for it. Turns out the RSR’s nose is happy to be thrown into a bend with a trailed brake and the front axle can indeed be made to slightly push when you’re really on it (like a 911); but that only serves to increase the entry speed (and lateral force) into the double apex turn 14-15. Despite the enormous speeds the car rotates predictably thanks to its inherent balance, and with the instantaneous response of those controls, you’re never more than a degree of throttle or steering angle from gathering it all up. You can properly wring the RSR's neck and it will reward rather than complain, corner after corner, lap after lap. Ten laps are so easy for it that the team doesn’t even bother sticking fans on the brakes when I return to the pits. The same can't be said for me. Pumped full of adrenaline and covered in sweat despite the cooled cabin air, I need of a lie down. Five minutes later the next journalist roars back out again at full pelt. That’s what Le Mans-grade engineering buys you. 

It’s only afterwards that I realise just how physical the whole experience has been. I'm shaky, and my left leg is left trembling for several minutes such is the workout required to get anything close to the best from those anchors. My quickest lap, a 1:40.2, is some 3.5 seconds slower than Bruni’s best of the morning (and I had the advantage of a couple degrees more ambient), so I’m happy, but also newly aware of the level of commitment required to get the best from the RSR. To drive at his level – for an entire stint, surrounded by dozens of other cars and in changing conditions with wearing tyres, and sometimes through the night – demands the kind of respect which is always reserved for top level sportspeople. Amatuer racing is just that; this is not just a bit of fun. It’s very serious, and not just because the machine’s limits over the rear axle are so high that that it you could spend all afternoon daring to approach on them. Still, in this setup at least, the RSR is always on your side. It's the most complete race car I’ve ever driven. 

Link: https://www.pistonheads.com/news/911/rsr/43202

Smiley

Nice kiss

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I wonder how much HP it would have without restrictors?

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Unofficial it's close to 600hp.

Moot point however as the whole package are designed with restrictor racing in mind.

--

About what I thought. I realize that it was designed with restrictors in place but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be quite a bit faster with an extra 85hp...

Along a similar path, I've long thought about a cup car with a mildly tweeked GT2 engine as a prefect track toy. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

992 CUP to be presented this week at Hockenheim (rumor)

>> Along a similar path, I've long thought about a cup car with a mildly tweeked GT2 engine as a prefect track toy. 
    Isn't the GT2 RS Clubsport supposed to be this type of car, at least sort of ? It heard, that a few cars are still available

schmoell:

That will be interesting - should be some clues for the road cars...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Car will do everything better than the 991.2 CUP - of course :)   

schmoell:

>> Along a similar path, I've long thought about a cup car with a mildly tweeked GT2 engine as a prefect track toy. 
    Isn't the GT2 RS Clubsport supposed to be this type of car, at least sort of ? It heard, that a few cars are still available

Porsche sank their own ship there with the 935.

It would have been a slam dunk case to sell 200 GT2RS CS. But somehow they made 70 and 7 more of the rarer 935, That's almost 40% potential buyers for the GT2RS CS gone. Also pissed off a few more potential buyers as the GT2RS CS is presented as the consolation prize for missing out on the 935. (This part is straight from their own letter to clients trying to buy the 935. Blah blah blah sorry you didn't qualify to buy the 935 but we shall offer you the chance to buy one of the limited to 200 units GT2RS Clubsport blah blah blah)

At least they didn't have to try and sell all 200 cars, their own Experience program took a few cars to be part of the fleet. 

--

actually they are not even all sold....

BjoernB:

actually they are not even all sold....

too expensive for a track toy...

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

New pics of the Porsche 992 GT3 road testing...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

7CC01B08-755D-4627-A1A0-75F5D49D5055.jpeg

0E669B4A-D2C7-4935-BD15-9BBCBD3B60F0.jpeg

75D65B27-8104-47C4-980A-8269E06DB0BD.jpeg

D12472CA-F420-43FD-9677-7786DF51D015.jpeg

C11C3544-C112-4121-8087-3AC7B66BECA9.jpeg

CBCF7240-7310-4294-AEB8-F9D4FB6402CE.jpeg

Link: https://www.autogespot.com/porsche-992-gt3/2020/10/19

Smiley

A few new pics of the Porsche 992 GT3 in a bit more detail...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

8A250206-EA52-48FF-9973-80203F5EF7EE.jpeg

CCA078A9-4C58-4098-9BCA-E002EC6CB834.jpeg

11B4FE5C-BD66-45CB-8690-6D46B2D6DC84.jpeg

F6ACD172-E1F1-4512-B653-5F226CA8B57D.jpeg

CC52F32A-2BCD-4FA6-964C-215DCDE9EE07.jpeg

13993428-0120-439F-8EF1-308A67C2C2EE.jpeg

42C3FEA9-61B0-43E7-8436-14DDE81C4BD4.jpeg

884177A8-B81E-4C12-AF50-16DF511A0A7E.jpeg

2DD667EF-7CAA-4F12-A710-ED5F7805124F.jpeg

Link: https://www.autogespot.com/porsche-992-gt3-1/2020/10/19

Smiley

Unlike for the new 992 GT3 RS, this is actually the final GT3 rear wing design. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

Unlike for the new 992 GT3 RS, this is actually the final GT3 rear wing design. Smiley Smiley

If the Porsche 992 GT3 final rear wing design actually looks like this...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

9CB3BC82-D5C5-45A9-B040-646281AD33EE.jpeg

...there are going to be a lot more orders for the Porsche 992 GT3 Touring! Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    RC:

If the Porsche 992 GT3 final rear wing design actually looks like this...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

...there are going to be a lot more orders for the Porsche 992 GT3 Touring! Smiley

Some parts are still covered with tape but the overall design is final, yes.

GT3 RS...not yet as far as I heard. The feedback from that monstrous wing wasn't too positive. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

GT3 RS...not yet as far as I heard. The feedback from that monstrous wing wasn't too positive. Smiley

The monstrous wing of the GT3RS prototypes makes the wing of the standard GT3, which is no beauty on its own, suddenly somehow acceptable. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

RC:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:
    RC:

[———————-]

The solution for Porsche is obvious: for the 992 GT3 they can use the Aerokit rear spoiler... Smiley

D38D2490-17AF-41E3-AA29-6B92763E735E.jpeg

77294C4F-94FB-4818-B9E0-A7CB4975DD54.jpeg

F1C37F47-5859-49D9-9797-90D997E4A79E.jpeg

22CC196E-8A5F-4BB0-A62B-7562E0EDB8EA.jpeg

8896C3F2-A2EB-4B6D-9E8D-2297E068BD89.jpeg

BA3D0377-311B-4FF8-ADDB-1156F64BAD37.jpeg

DE0EC28D-185B-4594-9C7F-1D8127F4AA86.jpeg

Link: https://www.autogespot.co.uk/porsche-992-carrera-s-2/2020/08/14

...and the Porsche 992 GT3 RS can use the “swan neck” rear wing from that 992 GT3 mule... Smiley

...while the Porsche 992 GT3 Touring can simply use that lovely ducktail spoiler! Smiley

Well, the wing seems to be the common "standard sport / race design" one sees in many race series and it looks good.. 

RC:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:
    RC:

Nooo! Smiley I want the enormous wing. Smiley

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    690990 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410131 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256181 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235404 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858793 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775098 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM