Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review

IMG_3160.jpeg

...out and about with Chuck Jr. II indecision

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Unbelievable how fast they grow... Smiley Smiley

Maybe we should open up a separate thread with sports car family pics but if you want privacy, you better cover up faces, license plates, etc.. Just saying. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Great idea, I have a couple nice pictures with my son and Porsche’s

then and now.....

--

Cayenne Turbo, where distances become memories very quickly indecision

Gnil:

Is this the son who was driving the Gold R ?  How do you find the car ?  Over here, it is mainly the Toyota version that is sold. ( they are the same cars )  I see rarely the Subaru. Why take the Subaru over the Toyota ? 

Yes, same one I bought the Golf R for. He still have the Golf R. 

We have like 5 Subaru dealers locally, 3 of them are apart of a bigger dealership group and I know the owners of all 3 Smiley

No but seriously, when my son asked for one of these, I checked and there was like 3 cars left. Each dealer only gets one car. Next morning when I start making calls 1 of them were already gone, another one had a deposit on it and the 3rd car is like 400km away. I pulled some strings on the one with the deposit, that other guy was waiting on financing approval and it didn't look good, so I got the car and the other guy was offered a cheaper model to fit his financing. Lucky so to speak.

Locally I rarely see the Toyota version, ratio maybe 5 to 1 Subaru vs Toyota. Not sure why, maybe they just like the Subaru styling better. 

--

Great pictures ! Thanks a lot for sharing. My son turned 20 the other day. Amazing how fast these (once) little critters grow :)

Whoopsy:
    Gnil:

Is this the son who was driving the Gold R ?  How do you find the car ?  Over here, it is mainly the Toyota version that is sold. ( they are the same cars )  I see rarely the Subaru. Why take the Subaru over the Toyota ? 

Yes, same one I bought the Golf R for. He still have the Golf R. 

We have like 5 Subaru dealers locally, 3 of them are apart of a bigger dealership group and I know the owners of all 3 Smiley

No but seriously, when my son asked for one of these, I checked and there was like 3 cars left. Each dealer only gets one car. Next morning when I start making calls 1 of them were already gone, another one had a deposit on it and the 3rd car is like 400km away. I pulled some strings on the one with the deposit, that other guy was waiting on financing approval and it didn't look good, so I got the car and the other guy was offered a cheaper model to fit his financing. Lucky so to speak.

Locally I rarely see the Toyota version, ratio maybe 5 to 1 Subaru vs Toyota. Not sure why, maybe they just like the Subaru styling better. 

Thanks. I'll have to looks more into it. Normally here the Subaru' s are sold very well, but mainly because of their AWD/snow capacities and reliability.  

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Subaru/Toyota is suppose to be readying a new version of the car, the tS was the send off for the old platform. 

--

schmoell:

Great pictures ! Thanks a lot for sharing. My son turned 20 the other day. Amazing how fast these (once) little critters grow :)

Your son is everything else than "little"... Smiley 

Send my regards to him. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I imagine there's new Porsche fans that google information and whenever they stumble upon a link back to RT they just leave cause the information contained in a thread never corresponds to the title. 

indecision

Rennteam encryption. Impossible to crack 

Leawood911:

Rennteam encryption. Impossible to crack 

Smiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

beltar:

Explaining my 2 grandsons the difference between rear-engine of the 993 and mid-engine of the boxster spyder... in the hope they once will share my interests in porsches...WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 09.17.49.jpeg

That is a beautiful photo. I am lucky to have a grandson who is equally passionate about cars. Plus my future son-in-law. A love of cars also ensures there are never any awkward gaps in conversation!!

Can this scene be recreated in the EV era?

mcdelaug:

lifting the cars, looking at the compact battery packs Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    mcdelaug:

Like looking at a 992 motor?  You guys have the funniest questions. Maybe reflect on the good old days when there were horses. I bet people looked down on cars and could not understand why anyone would trade their horse for that. Smiley

Leawood911:

Like looking at a 992 motor?  You guys have the funniest questions. Maybe reflect on the good old days when there were horses. I bet people looked down on cars and could not understand why anyone would trade their horse for that. Smiley

Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Maybe I should buy a horse next...

mcdelaug:

Maybe I should buy a horse next...

You live in Texas and have no horse? What is wrong with you? Smiley Smiley

Smiley Smiley

--

Horse maintenance can kill you, much worse than any car...

--

Nice review. Thanks for posting. Seems likely I would react the same. 

Don't think I have posted my Taycan Cross Turismo pic

iris-3.jpeg
    iris.jpegiris-2.jpeg

Nov production. Think I am going do a matte wrap when it gets here.

As it happens, one of my buddies ordered a Cayenne turbo GT, Nov production also and he is doing European delivery. He knew I had a car on order and forgot what it was, as he had asked me to do ED with him together. 

When I told him mine will be a Taycan, first thing he said was he isn't waiting for me to charge the car Second thing he said was to ask me to find a Nov production Cayenne turbo GT to match him.

This conversation with him highlights the biggest issue with EV still, infrastructure. In Germany there are enough chargers along the highway, but they just aren't fast enough like filling a car with gas. His car maybe thirsty on the autobahn, but it takes him 5 mins to fill up, I would be losing 20 mins to him on every stop. This simply isn't going to work the way we travel together. 

Taycan's range is perfectly fine, but Porsche needs to do something about the charging speed, and they are already the fastest charging EV out there. 

--

Is it Turbo?

Whoopsy:

Nice to see someone being adventurous with their spec Smiley. I sold my Taycan Turbo S - range is such a limiting factor for this given its astronomical price vs utility ratio. I will revert once they improve the range and annoying software bugs. The drive and performance were superb though. Meanwhile, I am going back to the 50s and 60s.

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

Nice to see someone being adventurous with their spec Smiley. I sold my Taycan Turbo S - range is such a limiting factor for this given its astronomical price vs utility ratio. I will revert once they improve the range and annoying software bugs. The drive and performance were superb though. Meanwhile, I am going back to the 50s and 60s.

Taycan Turbo S is a superb EV to drive and it looks amazing but...range is ridiculously low if you drive it properly like a Porsche and the new Tesla Model S Plaid wipes the floor with the Taycan Turbo S, for basically half the price. 

A Plaid lease is around 1700 EUR per month here in Germany, no initial payment. The Taycan Turbo S costs more than 3000 EUR per month. Ouch.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

911tts:

Is it Turbo?

Nah. Just a 4S.

No point in buying the turbo or turbo S version unless I want to be in a pissing match doing drag races with Teslas. 

Visually there is no differences between the various models unlike their normal range of cars. Maybe one can check the brake sizes to determine the model but that's about it. And that may not even be right as the better brakes can be optioned.

--

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

I see current EVs right now as disposable items, like iPhones. Newer and better one are always just around the corner. One reason I didn't do my usual thing and buy the top dog. 

The Taycan itself really don't have much utility value, one reason I am switching to the Cross Turismo with the bigger trunk but stay with the 4S trim. Was going to replace both my Taycan and the e-Tron with the Cross Turismo. Will see how that goes, and if I really miss a SUV then I will buy one again down the road. 

--

Whoopsy:
    Will see how that goes, and if I really miss a SUV then I will buy one again down the road. 

I ditched the Urus earlier this year - limited use with Covid, and huge residual value for a change. Getting a PTS Macan GTS later this week. Who would have thought it Smiley?

Hahahaha, replacing a Urus with a Macan 

But yeah, the Urus seems to be holding value for the time being. Lack of supply helps.

I have my Honda pickup for utility so maybe I won't miss a SUV that much. But I did ordered a F150 Lightning to replace the Honda.

--

Wow, Nick and Crayfile you’re always in buy and selling your cars. It’s almost a full time job given the number you own. It’s must be a lot of fun.kiss

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662562 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401291 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254605 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229259 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59637 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4381 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853575 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    762012 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM