Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

Leawood911:

You guys crack me up more than my model3 suspension. I must be sooo stupid and brainwashed and I can’t read. Do I need to sell my car or should I roll it off a cliff to protect others from it?  How many cars failed like this and killed or even injured people?  Are we concerned that they may kill someone?  Numbers?  Computer shuddering from the download. Don’t buy one then. And for gods sake get a new computer.

maybe you should assume Tesla can’t build cars and will cease production due to this. I would short the stock.  There is no need to send me repeated warnings or ridicule me for pointing out that you are a little overboard when it comes to any story about a Tesla fault. I’m certain all the other car manufacturers are delighted by this story and have written off Tesla as any type of competition.  I mean they are literally murdering people with their complete lack of understanding of how to make a wheel roll.  
    Cheers guys. I suggest you don’t buy a Model S or X. The new models will be even better. 

Despite this failure a Tesla is still far less likely to be in an injury accident. Imagine the cars which have had this corrected?  I challenge you to post the actual injury accident rates of Tesla’s vs all other automakers. Crickets. 

Leawood, if all your Rennteam friends chip in, will you agree to have your eyes checked for acute myopia?  Smiley

...and here is the web page that you have been looking to subscribe to, so you can keep track of all the Tesla incidents...  Smiley

Link: https://www.tesladeaths.com/

This wouldn't resemble the "Audi Victims Network", would it?

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/manufacturing-audi-scare-5665.html

Remember "Unintended Acceleration"?   Government investigators finally concluded that the terror of "minds-of-their-own" Audis was caused by "pedal mis-application".

Asking for a friend.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

Leawood911:

You guys crack me up more than my model3 suspension. I must be sooo stupid and brainwashed and I can’t read. Do I need to sell my car or should I roll it off a cliff to protect others from it?  How many cars failed like this and killed or even injured people?  Are we concerned that they may kill someone?  Numbers?  Computer shuddering from the download. Don’t buy one then. And for gods sake get a new computer.

maybe you should assume Tesla can’t build cars and will cease production due to this. I would short the stock.  There is no need to send me repeated warnings or ridicule me for pointing out that you are a little overboard when it comes to any story about a Tesla fault. I’m certain all the other car manufacturers are delighted by this story and have written off Tesla as any type of competition.  I mean they are literally murdering people with their complete lack of understanding of how to make a wheel roll.  
    Cheers guys. I suggest you don’t buy a Model S or X. The new models will be even better. 

Despite this failure a Tesla is still far less likely to be in an injury accident. Imagine the cars which have had this corrected?  I challenge you to post the actual injury accident rates of Tesla’s vs all other automakers. Crickets. 

Why is it absurd to think Tesla would cut corners in their manufacturing? Elon is no saint, and Tesla haven't been able to control lather cost to actually make a profit selling cars, the only car manufacturer in the world failed to do so.

You have never heard of construction companies cutting corners by using less steel or lower quality material? This happens all the time. 

There isn't just 'one' control arm failure in a Tesla, there are many. It's a trend. Can you not accept the Tesla used lowered quality material for their control arms? Or how about they have a bad batch from suppliers? 

With any other car makers, when you have more than one lower control arm failed like that, a full on investigation would have started, and like a recall to replace them. This does not make a car maker look unsafe, it actually make them 'safer', they are pro-active in replacing components for safety. 

Elon wants to put up the fake facade that Tesla cars are 'safer', hence why he refused to do recall campaigns, altways tricking deals with NHTSA to make their cars looks better and including NDAs in their settlements with customers. 

Honda still have the airbag trouble, does that make Honda 'unsafe'? No. They are actively replacing the faulty airbags as we speak still. Toyota had their accelerator trouble before, does the make them 'unsafe'? No again, ask most people and they will safe Toyotas are one of the safest cars around. 

This is Rennteam, not some Tesla fanboy site where every one circle jerk each other and praise Elon mindlessly. Members here actually have intelligence and can think for themselves, they have critical thinking skills and won't blindly believe whatever is said. 

We know you like your Model 3, the car fits your lifestyle perfectly, we are very happy for you for that. But it's not a be all end all car and it's not a faultless car. Pointing out the obvious isn't out of bounds here. 

People here might think I am a quirky dude who hunts for a 968, of all Porsche produced. I am not going to convince everyone that it is the greatest car and best car ever. It's just one of my quirky traits, Others might think hunting for a rare 911 is better but at this moment all I can think of is a 968, and a 928. I also won't mind people calling me dumb after buying a 20k 968 then might even dump another 40k-60k restoring it, knowing those money will never be recovered. It's what makes me happy and why I am doing it even when it do not make any financial sense. 

--

What can I say to all that?  I thought people were not personally attacking me?  
    lol

here is the deal. Do you think other car makers do not cut corners? Ever?  I believe they specialize in profit. Which is why we are stuck in the ICE age.  If you look at the safety numbers for any Tesla you might be thinking the others are cutting corners.  I still have not had anyone take me up on publishing the numbers. 
    Seriously though. I have been following all things related to cars for decades. Especially lately Tesla. Strangely this is the first I have heard for these suspension issues. Weird. Do you guys have any numbers yet and how many people have been killed or injured?  If there is anything I have learned about Elon is that he is very concerned for safety and this planet as a whole. It is amazing to me that he sparks so much outrage. 
    From what I have experienced- my car is built like a friggin tank. It is far more solid and rigid that any other car I have been in. It seems to be, in fact , over engineered to handle the massive onslaught of power fro zero rpm. I’m shocked there are not more broken cv joints and crashes from the exceptional acceleration by novice drivers.  
    I’m not here making fun for your last Porsche purchase. And I should point out my little model3 is half as expensive, quicker, more efficient, and has superior tech for half the price.  But I won’t. Lol. 

So, let look at how many Tesla’s had this issue and injury numbers. Then let’s look at the BIG picture. Injury accident rates vs all other makes.  I think if you find they are multiples better you had better have your cost cutting trial with the other makers first. Lol.  You always forget about the millions killed in the other cars. It is too funny. But go ahead and try again. Be certain to insult me again and again by calling me a fanboy  - that seems to be your best argument to date.  

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

People only sees what they want to see.

Tesla is under enormous pressure to lower their production cost. They have yet to make money selling cars. All their profits ever was from selling EV credits and those are not everlasting. Cheaping out on components is one way to lower cost. Changing their battery sizing is another. Stripping the interior down and calling it 'minimalist' is also another trick. 

Elon literally is trying everything to try and squeeze some profit out of selling cars. 

I mean this isn't rocket science, Porsche can do it, Hyundai can do it, Kia too, even GM, so why can't Tesla?

And not only reducing costs, also lack of expertise in developing cars, lack of knowledge in building factories and their production problems, and also rushing those cars through production to meet deadlines sacrificing quality control as we have seen with so many different build problems poping up every other month, but this one takes the cake.

Most investors and institutional investors are very careful in investing money into companies. How do you explain the stock price? Are the investors idiots investing in companies that don’t know what they are doing?Smiley

--

A good memory is fine but the ability to forget is the one true test of greatness.

First delivery of Roadster 2020 smiley:

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Blows Off While Driving Just Moments After Delivery

Getting back home right after delivery, it became a convertible. Not because his owner took it to a body shop but rather because "the entire glass roof just blew off."

"After a brief panic," they warned the highway patrol "to tell them that there was a car roof somewhere on the 580," and took it back to the Tesla Service Center where they picked it up only minutes ago.

Indescribables was helping their father get delivery of his car. When they arrived back at the Tesla Service Center, the manager gave them his diagnostic that "either the seal for the roof was faulty, or the factory just... forgot to seal the roof on?"

angel

I agree, Nick. My Performante is the best car here, period. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

nberry:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

People only sees what they want to see.

Tesla is under enormous pressure to lower their production cost. They have yet to make money selling cars. All their profits ever was from selling EV credits and those are not everlasting. Cheaping out on components is one way to lower cost. Changing their battery sizing is another. Stripping the interior down and calling it 'minimalist' is also another trick. 

Elon literally is trying everything to try and squeeze some profit out of selling cars. 

I mean this isn't rocket science, Porsche can do it, Hyundai can do it, Kia too, even GM, so why can't Tesla?

And not only reducing costs, also lack of expertise in developing cars, lack of knowledge in building factories and their production problems, and also rushing those cars through production to meet deadlines sacrificing quality control as we have seen with so many different build problems poping up every other month, but this one takes the cake.

Most investors and institutional investors are very careful in investing money into companies. How do you explain the stock price? Are the investors idiots investing in companies that don’t know what they are doing?Smiley

Most of the Tesla stock value is hype, it is not about what they are pumping out now, they are still not even making profits after all these years, but they place the value in what they believe Tesla will become in the future.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

Most of the Tesla stock value is hype, it is not about what they are pumping out now, they are still not even making profits after all these years, but they place the value in what they believe Tesla will become in the future.

Theoretically all of any stock's price is a bet on what it will become in the future.

(Sorry, sometimes I can't help but poke the bear, much like Leawood.  Why else would there already be five pages on an economy car that doesn't exist?)

Elon is one of the greatest salesman there is ever. 

When he talks, he is very convincing, give him enough time he can probably sell some Pacific Ocean view resort units in Idaho and even the Moon to Wall Street. 

--

I did look up those model s suspension failures. From 2016. Seems there was not even a recall and no injuries. Just a technical service bulletin. I suspect you should not time travel back to 2016 and buy a model S or X. Do pick up some Tesla stock while you are there. 
    That actor who had the recent model3 suspension failure hit a curb hard first.  This according to Tesla, who most likely have the video to prove it.  They always seem to. 

The stock market is bit forward looking, in a way which combines the inputs from a great number of experts with only one goal. Making money.  I separate this from news stories produced by those who want to shape the market. 
    In terms of my personal experience with my car, as an avid Porsche driver, I could not be more blown away by everything about it. I really like it. If you don’t then buy something else. I don’t care but don’t tell me I’m wrong about my own perception of the car. Come on. That’s just silly. We all love cars and I don’t see the point in bullying someone who likes his car. In fact one which is revolutionary to the industry. You just come off looking a bit jealous.  
    Some of it is just to weird to comment on so I think I will take a break for a few days. 

Leawood911:

I did look up those model s suspension failures. From 2016. Seems there was not even a recall and no injuries. Just a technical service bulletin. I suspect you should not time travel back to 2016 and buy a model S or X. Do pick up some Tesla stock while you are there. 
    That actor who had the recent model3 suspension failure hit a curb hard first.  This according to Tesla, who most likely have the video to prove it.  They always seem to. 

The stock market is bit forward looking, in a way which combines the inputs from a great number of experts with only one goal. Making money.  I separate this from news stories produced by those who want to shape the market. 
    In terms of my personal experience with my car, as an avid Porsche driver, I could not be more blown away by everything about it. I really like it. If you don’t then buy something else. I don’t care but don’t tell me I’m wrong about my own perception of the car. Come on. That’s just silly. We all love cars and I don’t see the point in bullying someone who likes his car. In fact one which is revolutionary to the industry. You just come off looking a bit jealous.  
    Some of it is just to weird to comment on so I think I will take a break for a few days. 

Dude, I believe not a single member ever said something even remotely close to meaning you picked the wrong car. We have been saying the contrary, it's great that you like your car, we are happy for you. But you are just taking things too personally about the Model 3, about Tesla, that's all. Especially when you go all Elon PR speak to us here. 

--

Leawood911:

Are you implying that Tesla can access personal video from your car without your permission? 

In terms of my personal experience with my car, as an avid Porsche driver, I could not be more blown away by everything about it. I really like it. If you don’t then buy something else. I don’t care but don’t tell me I’m wrong about my own perception of the car. Come on. That’s just silly.

That is the thing Leawood, no one is telling you "your own" perception of the car is wrong, just in a post above Nick awknowledged the opposite, but it is you that do not accept other's here perception of the car, something btw that seems to be a unique characteristic of Tesla fans throughout the world but other makers.

--

Tesla make decent enough cars, good enough even for a lot of people. If only they spend a little more time on each car to make sure they are build right instead of just pushing them out the door for no other reason than to meet Elon's stupid target, in order to prop up the stock price to hit his CEO compensation package's 'milestones'.

There are millions of cars with panoramic sunroofs on the road right now, not a single car had their glass roof blown off like that. Hundreds of millions of cars on the road, how many came from the factory missing a bolt or 2 on their suspension? Rear bumpers falling off for no reason other than someone forgot to bolt them down? Seriously, these are basic basic quality control stuff. Not even the Chinese can build them that badly. 

Tesla cars are the default choice for people buying EVs. People first look at the 4 offerings from Tesla when they consider a EV. They set the standard. For some that want a cheaper car than a Model 3 or have no use for extra range, they go with Japanese, Korean offerings. Or even the Bolt. For people wanting a SUV that does not look like a minivan, they pick a I-Pace or a e-Tron with nicer interiors, Mercedes have one of those crossovers too. Taycans are for those that want a more luxury EV or a faster EV. Some people avoid Tesla simply for the reason of build quality or safety. If Elon would just make them right, they would have a bit more cars sold each quarter, simple as that. 

--

And some people buy them because they are the best car being built right now. For certain the safest. Build quality can be pointed to with each and every make and model of car. Not every suspension broke, not every bumper fell off. Not every glass roof broke off. Yet hilariously you make it sound like it happens to each Tesla and no other car, even a Kia, has had any mechanical issues. 
    You guys write silly crap and the. You think I take it personally because I don’t sit back and let you go on and on without challenge. It sounds like you want me to shut off my brain and let this silly talk go unchallenged.  You even call a fan boy because I have some Tesla fan boy trait of speaking up. Lol. 
    No, I speak up when I feel like it. When ridiculous statements are made. 

Please note again - to frame your outrage properly - I would send your observations to the execs of the other automakers so they can sleep better at night. It would be good bedtime reading for them. They are screwed. 

And to Carlos point/question. Yes, Tesla is able to review tons of video and Telemetry informs following an accident. You have to give permission for them to activate the interior camera for review.  I am excited that they do this. It protects me if I have done nothing wrong. It protects them given the liability all their technology entails. It is also why when these mystery suspension failures happen they know people have damaged the suspension in advance in some cases by hitting curbs etc. 

Frankly I am shocked that cars this stupidly fast don’t have more high speed crashes. Remarkable. 

So, you have to allow them to view and use your personal video from the exterior cameras if you buy a Tesla? surely that can't be true...

--

Leawood911:

And some people buy them because they are the best car being built right now. For certain the safest. Build quality can be pointed to with each and every make and model of car. Not every suspension broke, not every bumper fell off. Not every glass roof broke off. Yet hilariously you make it sound like it happens to each Tesla and no other car, even a Kia, has had any mechanical issues. 
    You guys write silly crap and the. You think I take it personally because I don’t sit back and let you go on and on without challenge. It sounds like you want me to shut off my brain and let this silly talk go unchallenged.  You even call a fan boy because I have some Tesla fan boy trait of speaking up. Lol. 

Please note again - to frame your outrage properly - I would send your observations to the execs of the other automakers so they can sleep better at night. It would be good bedtime reading for them. They are screwed. 

And to Carlos point/question. Yes, Tesla is able to review tons of video and Telemetry informs following an accident. You have to give permission for them to activate the interior camera for review.  I am excited that they do this. It protects me if I have done nothing wrong. It protects them given the liability all their technology entails. It is also why when these mystery suspension failures happen they know people have damaged the suspension in advance in some cases by hitting curbs etc. 

Frankly I am shocked that cars this stupidly fast don’t have more high speed crashes. Remarkable. 

May I ask when is the last time a car made by someone losing their panoramic roof right after delivery? 

May I also ask when is the last time a car made by someone is missing bolts and screws on their suspension? 

No one is saying every Tesla has the same problem. Many are perfectly fine. But these publicized issues are all due to the 'leader' skipping basic quality control steps to push out cars to meet his target. 

No one is saying other manufacturers don't have quality issues either. I am not just picking on Tesla. Porsche is not immune. You might remember I chastised them a few years ago with my 918. Front suspension arms were installed up side down. Something that was discovered by my mechanic and their quality control team missed. 

--

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

May I ask when is the last time a car made by someone losing their panoramic roof right after delivery? 

May I also ask when is the last time a car made by someone is missing bolts and screws on their suspension? 

No one is saying every Tesla has the same problem. Many are perfectly fine. But these publicized issues are all due to the 'leader' skipping basic quality control steps to push out cars to meet his target. 

No one is saying other manufacturers don't have quality issues either. I am not just picking on Tesla. Porsche is not immune. You might remember I chastised them a few years ago with my 918. Front suspension arms were installed up side down. Something that was discovered by my mechanic and their quality control team missed. 

Just look at the issues with the Model Y for example, its unbelievable that they can come out of the factory and delivered to clients like that, never seen anything like it.

https://electrek.co/2020/06/16/tesla-model-y-quality-issues/

--

Those problems with the Model Y exist after four other product launches and the opening of a second manufacturing facility.  The entire organization is the edification of Musk’s ego.  

Carlos from Spain:

Just look at the issues with the Model Y for example, its unbelievable that they can come out of the factory and delivered to clients like that, never seen anything like it.

https://electrek.co/2020/06/16/tesla-model-y-quality-issues/

"Huang said that he loves the car, but he was extremely disappointed by the quality control."

So he doesn't love it then  Smiley

Imagine a car with that kind of quality coming out of any manufacturers, everyone would be up in arms. But not in Tesla circle, Tesla fans will still trying to spin positively. 

--

https://insideevs.com/news/447593/tesla-suspension-issues-owners-true-stories/

Best quote:

In a factory line, when dealing with cars, you only have 15 seconds to install this bolt (for example). The next technician only has 2 minutes to install the windshield. If the lean in 'lean manufacturing' becomes too lean, employees are rushed. They have no choice but to let go and move to the next incoming car

That could be one of the reasons why some Teslas are delivered with missing bolts and nuts. There wasn't enough time to do all the fasteners so the car simply migrate down the line without them and get delivery that way. 

Tesla is basically sacrificing customers' safety for the sake of meeting the CEO's performance target for his awards. mail

Many levels worse than cheating on emission. 

--

Whoopsy:

Best quote:

In a factory line, when dealing with cars, you only have 15 seconds to install this bolt (for example). The next technician only has 2 minutes to install the windshield. If the lean in 'lean manufacturing' becomes too lean, employees are rushed. They have no choice but to let go and move to the next incoming car

That could be one of the reasons why some Teslas are delivered with missing bolts and nuts. There wasn't enough time to do all the fasteners so the car simply migrate down the line without them and get delivery that way. 

Tesla is basically sacrificing customers' safety for the sake of meeting the CEO's performance target for his awards. mail

Yeah. So horrible. This is why other makers have stopped using assembly lines decades ago. It is just mean and nasty to put cars together quickly with an eye to profit only.  In fact if you kill the owner they can’t buy cars from the competition. Lol. 
    Please do tell us all the other reasons you can think of for them missing nuts and bolts. 
    Did I mention that I have spent thousands of dollars trying to fix coolant leak issues which every single water cooled Mezger engine will encounter at the 10 year mark?  Several times already. 
    I think one of your concerns may be his ‘awards’. Personally I can’t think of a better leader and person dedicated to safety and even this planet. If you are trying to tell us he is an evil money hoarder  - good luck with that. I guess everyone is evil if the press want it that way.  (I can just cut and paste my defense of Trump or Musk,  very similar in terms of shit show.  Yet it is easy to be on the correct side of both arguments. 

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:

Best quote:

Yeah. So horrible. This is why other makers have stopped using assembly lines decades ago. It is just mean and nasty to put cars together quickly with an eye to profit only.  In fact if you kill the owner they can’t buy cars from the competition. Lol. 
    Please do tell us all the other reasons you can think of for them missing nuts and bolts. 
    Did I mention that I have spent thousands of dollars trying to fix coolant leak issues which every single water cooled Mezger engine will encounter at the 10 year mark?  Several times already. 
    I think one of your concerns may be his ‘awards’. Personally I can’t think of a better leader and person dedicated to safety and even this planet. If you are trying to tell us he is an evil money hoarder  - good luck with that. I guess everyone is evil if the press want it that way.  (I can just cut and paste my defense of Trump or Musk,  very similar in terms of shit show.  Yet it is easy to be on the correct side of both arguments. 

Seriously, if you could read your latest posts now from an unbiased 3rd person perspective and see what you write, you brush off without the least bit if criticism cars coming of the factory line with sunroofs that fly off or suspensions that snap in the middle of the highway or loose seats or seatbelts and deflect it comparing it to a coolant leak on a 10 year old car, and speak of Musk like the Messiah?... no wonder they call Tesla a cult angry 

--

Yesterday, my wife surprised me with a suggestion: She is interested in getting a sports car for the weekends, like me (I wonder why? indecision) and a daily driver for driving to work, back home and to patients. 

The sports car part may be solved with a McLaren 600LT Spider (no kidding) or a 570S Spider, maybe even a Mercedes AMG GT C Roadster or a Ferrari Portofino (we found a nice lease offer ).

Her plan to get a 992 Turbo S Convertible was kind of shot down by the lease offer Porsche made: 3800-4000 EUR a month. Ouch. No thanks.

Daily driver? When my wife joined me during my Taycan test-drive, she hated it. Never ever an EV for her, this is what she said.

Now she asked me how much the smallest Tesla costs and how it drives. I was shocked. 

The reason? One of her friends' boyfriend has a Tesla X and she seems to love that car, always tells my wife about it.

Now my wife is thinking about one too. 

This is how it works...mouth to mouth propaganda.  

I was actually in the market for a Tesla 3 Performance, I mentioned it but now I am thinking about a G63 AMG. angry The anti-Tesla incarnate. indecision

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Just enjoy the V8's while you can wink

It is ironic that as Tesla is building a factory in Germany, their EV market share is falling as the established OEMs ramp up volumes...  BF822CAF-50E5-4C47-9B23-F36F9B8F5A9C.gif

8FB27DAB-795B-40F1-BD92-09CB42450E62.jpeg

...wake up smell the coffee...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif 

8AEDBED3-F5F7-4853-812F-31F6C8839240.jpeg

...by 2021, Tesla will have over-capacity and declining volumes... get ready for negative like-for-like growth, falling margins and negative cash flows! Smiley

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:

Best quote:

Yeah. So horrible. This is why other makers have stopped using assembly lines decades ago. It is just mean and nasty to put cars together quickly with an eye to profit only.  In fact if you kill the owner they can’t buy cars from the competition. Lol

When is the last time a car that came off someone else's production line with a loose glass roof or ,missing suspension bolts again? Educate me on that please. 

The difference is, other makers don't tighten their timing on each station to blindly push production number target for the benefit of the CEO. 

Moral of this story is that no one is saying don't buy a Tesla, but avoid March, June, September and December productions at all cost. Those are the cars that suffers from from end of quarter push and lack of quality control.

--

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Leawood, do you have your reading glasses on?  BF822CAF-50E5-4C47-9B23-F36F9B8F5A9C.gif

FEE3B223-5CF7-4577-B8F3-ED5558F9BC9A.jpeg

This Is Bad: "Whompy Wheel" Syndrome Causing Teslas To Crash

(1 August 2020)

What started off as a post about a guy with a brand new Tesla Model X that snapped a lower control arm turned into more. A lot more. The Tesla forums and news reports continue about a dangerous problem with Tesla lower control arms snapping. There are a bunch of these instances profiled in detail online. It’s so infamous it has a name: “Whompy Wheel.” Punch Whompy Wheel into Google search and the computer shudders from the upload. This is bad. It seems pretty basic that the Whompy Wheel syndrome is causing Teslas to crash.

In most circumstances, this could be catastrophic, in case you were wondering? 

As Tesla production ramps up there are more Teslas whizzing down the highways and byways of the world. But there appear to be more and more issues, too. Some are small, and some, like this one, can be life-threatening. What we have here is a Model X snapped lower control arm. The upper ball-joint has also snapped. In most circumstances, this could be catastrophic, in case you were wondering? 

From what we can glean in most cases Tesla says it’s not their fault and the owner will have to get it fixed on their own dime. Since most failures cause some type of accident Tesla says the crash caused the damage, not the other way around. Now there are lawsuits.

A SoCal actor Mena Massoud is suing Tesla after he crashed his Model 3. Upon investigation, his insurer Geico found that the accident was caused by a suspension failure. In a statement to Business Insider in 2019, Tesla said the car’s “wheel was torn off because the driver crashed into a tree at high speed.”  

Now there are websites with images of “Whompy Wheels in the wild.” There are a lot of crashed Teslas on these sites. Going to the National Highway Safety Transportation Administration site there is a gang of anonymous complaints about suspension failures, too.  

Tesla has not issued a recall for the problem, but it has issued multiple technical service bulletins. The TSBs call out suspension issues with Model S and X Teslas. A TSB issued for 2016 Model S and X cars in February 2017 warned: “Some Model S and X vehicles may have been manufactured with front suspension fore links that may not meet Tesla strength specifications. In the event of a link failure, the driver can still maintain control but the tire may contact the wheel arch liner.”

Internal investigations have shown that Model S and X suspension failures were caused by fore links that are fractured at the ball joint. They show visible flaws and/or improper forgings. Instead of issuing a recall, Tesla issues TSBs. Lots of them. 

One of them noted in 2016 that the Model S “front lower control arm ball joints might develop greater free play than is expected” leading to “accelerated wear” and “premature replacement of components.” Then just last year another warned that the “lower rear control arm might crack, causing excessive negative camber of the rear suspension.” 

Rumors persist that back in 2016 Tesla covered up the issue by having affected owners sign an NDA. In exchange, they get a new Tesla. This was first discovered in the Daily Kanban in 2016. A Tesla spokesperson told Business Insider that the company has never “used an NDA or confidentiality agreement preventing customers from speaking with safety regulators or other government agencies.” 

After this was first covered by Business Insider a Tesla spokesperson reached out to it. They said the story is “misleading because it conflates Model 3 and Model S, which are entirely different cars with different suspensions. We routinely work with NHTSA and other government safety regulators around the world to investigate potential safety problems and perform recalls where necessary.”

Link: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/this-is-bad-whompy-wheel-syndrom-causing-teslas-to-crash/ 

Would never happen to a Porsche. Oh wait, GT3 exploding engines Smiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:

Best quote:

Yeah. So horrible. This is why other makers have stopped using assembly lines decades ago. It is just mean and nasty to put cars together quickly with an eye to profit only.  In fact if you kill the owner they can’t buy cars from the competition. Lol

When is the last time a car that came off someone else's production line with a loose glass roof or ,missing suspension bolts again? Educate me on that please. 

The difference is, other makers don't tighten their timing on each station to blindly push production number target for the benefit of the CEO. 

Moral of this story is that no one is saying don't buy a Tesla, but avoid March, June, September and December productions at all cost. Those are the cars that suffers from from end of quarter push and lack of quality control.

Jus take a look at this, and this is coming from a Tesla fanboy site:

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762358 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435315 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260494 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257544 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80938 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872226 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807593 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM