Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

The ID.3 represents several generations of advancement over the Nissan Leaf, which isn't a bad automobile.  The ID.3 is the first of the Volkswagen Group products based on the MEB component set.  This component set, similar in concept to the Group's highly vaunted MBQ, allows for a multitude of shared components, economies of scale reduce per unit costs and increase quality, across a number of different product types.  Volkswagen has already introduced the much larger ID.4 crossover based on the same components as the ID.3.  Skoda, Seat, and Audi are preparing products from the MEB set too. 

Interestingly, the ID.4 will become the higher volume, and more importantly, the higher margin product in the line.  Crossovers are the hottest sector in the global market.  The Volkswagen ID.4's First Edition variant, sold out in one day in the States.  Currently, Volkswagen is taking orders for the ID.4 Pro and pricing for a fully optioned ID.4 with all-wheel drive is slightly below $50,000.  That's roughly the base price for the Tesla Model Y and that's before taking into consideration the $7,500 EV tax credit.  Tesla purchasers are no longer eligible for the federal tax credit since its cumulative sales volume has exceed the cutoff.  

Official: Polestar Precept To Enter Production

Polestar announced today that the Precept concept model, shown earlier this year, will enter production. Vehicle development is underway in the UK and already more than 130 people are working on it.

The decision has been made after the company has realized that people like it and there should be a market for such a great looking, sporty, all-electric car.

rhino:

This ID 3 will be a good competitor for the Nissan Leaf...

There is nothing wrong with that. For the longest time, the Leaf was the best selling single model EV. It's where the meat of the EV segment is. 

ID3 charge faster and goes farther than a Leaf, arguably more handsome looking too. Leaf was pretty much strictly a city car and that limits it's appeal but the ID3 can go much longer between charges. It's capability covers pretty much 90% of ordinary car buyers' driving needs. 

Call it a no-frills people's EV. 

For those that wants more performance can pay a bit more and get a Model 3, but how many of those buyers there are? Most already got a Model 3 already anyways. 

ID3 will be a very attractive option for people contemplating say a Civic or Corolla. Heck and even a normal Golf. 

--

That ID-r is friggin fast. Electric power is addicting. I’m sure there will fast versions of that hatch. Crazy fast by today’s standards. 

It is very. But it is also a very typical like a normal race car, it needs 2 giant support trucks, and a bus full of personal in order to run. Not unlike a F1 car.

I believe it, like the 919 hybrid and Taycan and F1 cars, runs 800V system. 

--

Would be better using Tesla Autopilot. 

CGX car nut:

Of course it would be. At some point the Ring Taxi will be self driving and using a human driver will be slower and so dangerous it will be outlawed. 
    I can play this game all day long.   Cheers   I was saying nice things about the VW  

Btw. Tesla is now offering advanced autopilot, with navigate on autopilot, lane change, summon and auto park as a $4000 option.  The $8k gets you all that plus a bit more they are still working on. Nice that they broke out the parts I would buy for much less money.  Do I need to start a go fund me or will you all send me $30?  

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

Of course it would be. At some point the Ring Taxi will be self driving and using a human driver will be slower and so dangerous it will be outlawed. 
    I can play this game all day long.   Cheers   I was saying nice things about the VW  

Btw. Tesla is now offering advanced autopilot, with navigate on autopilot, lane change, summon and auto park as a $4000 option.  The $8k gets you all that plus a bit more they are still working on. Nice that they broke out the parts I would buy for much less money.  Do I need to start a go fund me or will you all send me $30?  

A Model 3 doing 20 mins a lap?

--

LMAO.  Tesla Model 3 accidentally driven into a BP station in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois. All those layers of artificial intelligence and the car is still driven into a very large building.  https://www.hpherald.com/news/local/car-crashes-into-bp-gas-station/article_b205508e-002c-11eb-8b50-b3c4220dc22b.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

The irony is that even EIon has admitted that “Autopilot” technology development had reached a DEAD END, which he prefers to described as a LOCAL MAXIMUM...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

Tesla does “fundamental rewrite” of Full Self Driving autonomous software...

Source: Youtube/Tesla

(23 September 2020)

Tesla will soon release a fully functional version of its Full Self Driving package to private beta testers, said Elon Musk at Tesla’s Battery Day event on Tuesday (US time) after undergoing a “fundamental rewrite” of its software.

It’s been a long time coming for Full Self Driving – at Tesla’s Autonomy Day in April 2019, the Tesla CEO and co-founder said: “A year from now we will have over a million cars with full self driving computer, hardware, everything.”

But that date has come and gone, and today Musk shared with an audience of socially distanced shareholders, each sitting in a Model 3 in the car park that served as the venue for the AGM and Battery Day, that developing autonomous driving technology is actually very hard.

However he also said that, “It’s kind of hard for people to judge the progress of Autopilot.”

Tesla has released various components that will eventually equal the sum of Full Self Driving, including Smart Summon (slow speed in carparks), Navigate on Autopilot (high speed on freeways) and most recently, stop and go through traffic lights.

“I’m driving a bleeding edge, alpha build of Autopilot, so I sort of have insight into what is going on,” he said.

But for now, development of Full Self Driving has reached a “local maximum”, forcing Tesla to do a “fundamental rewrite” of the software stack and relabel objects manually via 3D video.

“We had to do a fundamental rewrite of the entire Autopilot software stack… We’re now labeling 3D video, which is hugely different from when we were previously labeling single 2D images,” Musk said.

“We’re now labeling entire video segments, taking all cameras simultaneously and labeling that. The sophistication of the neural net of the car and the overall logic of the car is improved dramatically.”

Musk hopes that this means a beta version of the autonomous functionality can be released to private testers in October or November.

“We will hopefully release a private beta of full self driving in a month or so,” he said. “People will understand the magnitude of the changes … it’s just so profound.”

Link: https://thedriven.io/2020/09/23/tesla-does-fundamental-rewrite-of-full-self-driving-autonomous-software/

...what a joke!  Smiley

BB2765C9-43D7-4005-A456-C138A5CC6878.jpeg

Leawood, even with EIon’s new beta software using a database of “labelled 3D videos” a Tesla taxi on autopilot could not safely complete even a single lap of the Nurburgring on a normal tourist day! Smiley

You guys!  I love to pull your chain. 
    The software rewrite is promising though. Keep in mind this will then be applied to all the cars with an over the air update. Do other car makers spend any time improving cars they already sold or do they save any updates to sell the next face lift?  
    The joke is that no other car makers is even close to what they have done to this point. He is not doing this to stay ahead of the competition. He is doing this to try and solve a near impossible problem.  He indicates it is really really hard. This is what you all say. He is in agreement and yet giving it a shot. In the past you criticize him him for making it sound easy.  You can’t have it both ways. I think he has been consistent in saying it is the future - I can’t disagree with that. 
    If not Tesla it will be some other company in the future. Timeframe- who knows. But silly to doubt this. 

Leawood, the only thing he is consistent in is in promising deadlines and not delivering over and over, yet he pre-sells FSD to people under those fake deadlines... still waiting for those million robotaxis that were supposed to be driving around this year lol

Nobody is criticising him for trying to develop FSD, he is not the only one doing so, but besides being the only one making fake promises on its delivery, he is also marketimg his half baked "autopilot" as almost selfdriving which the consequent danger that creates as we can see over and over in the news.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Leawood911:

The software rewrite is promising though. Keep in mind this will then be applied to all the cars with an over the air update. Do other car makers spend any time improving cars they already sold or do they save any updates to sell the next face lift?  
    The joke is that no other car makers is even close to what they have done to this point. He is not doing this to stay ahead of the competition. He is doing this to try and solve a near impossible problem.  He indicates it is really really hard. This is what you all say. He is in agreement and yet giving it a shot. In the past you criticize him him for making it sound easy.  You can’t have it both ways. I think he has been consistent in saying it is the future - I can’t disagree with that. 
    If not Tesla it will be some other company in the future. Timeframe- who knows. But silly to doubt this. 

Leawood, you are right. No other car makers are even close...  BF822CAF-50E5-4C47-9B23-F36F9B8F5A9C.gif

E9931236-32D3-4524-9C8E-45AB188A7271.jpeg

...to being as stupid (and fraudulent) as EIon and his autopilot! Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    Leawood911:

Leawood, you are right. No other car makers are even close...  BF822CAF-50E5-4C47-9B23-F36F9B8F5A9C.gif

E9931236-32D3-4524-9C8E-45AB188A7271.jpeg

...to being as stupid (and fraudulent) as EIon and his autopilot! Smiley

We have been telling him that Tesla's 2D camera image cannot do it, he argued otherwise. The sensors can't see that's just a poster on a bus, it sees a human outline and since their radar don't the resolution to resolve that the image and the bus is same distance away, thus it's not a human, it falsely think there is a human standing behind a bus and artificially separate them. 

Now Elon says himself that his 2D system sucks. and will be needing '3D video', doubling down on his camera/radar combo instead of going lidar. A lidar system would have no trouble seeing that's not a real human but a poster on a bus.

So basically Tesla wasted what 5 years of developmental time on a dead end tech, which EVERYONE told them it's a dead end since like forever. Now that they have to double back and go a different direction, let's see if they can still come out ahead and stay ahead. Or this simple mistake cost them the lead. 

As I understands there  is only one forward facing camera on a Tesla, like right in the middle of the windshield, and they have side looking cameras on the B pillars, how will they combine those images to 'see' the front? 

To create a stereo video for 3D imaging purposes, one needs a pair of cameras on a parallax configuration. like human eyes. Are they going to replace the single forward facing camera with a pair of them to create that image?

--

independent Mclaren service and tuning company in the UK now decided to work on Tesla Model 3 performance - interesting how he says 10% of their Mclaren owners also have a Tesla....I am interested to see what they do with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B9DAWVBoUs

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

EnglishManInNY:

independent Mclaren service and tuning company in the UK now decided to work on Tesla Model 3 performance - interesting how he says 10% of their Mclaren owners also have a Tesla....I am interested to see what they do with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B9DAWVBoUs

Makes sense. My local 720s owning buddy also has a car just like mine.  And my Turbo counts just a little as a pairing of extremes. It will be interesting to see if anyone if able to increase power output?  I fear the future is just handling and aero tweaks for Tesla’s.  I don’t like the smell of that. 

https://insideevs.com/news/445863/video-tesla-model-s-drag-racing-on-slicks/

Leawood, right up your alley indecision

Me think if he put same tires all around he would have gotten better results. As it stands, the different level of traction offered by the front and rear tires are confusing the ECU, thus not giving it full performance.

Dude said when he put smaller diameter tires on the Tesla the ECU freaks out, 

Could also be that Tesla only tune their traction control system for their own spec, thus have no idea how to deal with other setups. 

--

I'm pretty sure all modern cars get confused when you change the tyre diameter, not just Tesla 😋

Depending on AWD or RWD, and the build in tolerance. 

--

Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:
    Whoopsy:

https://insideevs.com/news/445857/ford-ignores-tesla-makes-bold-false-claims/

Tesla people are so easily triggered. 

Another thing is, Tesla people always claimed Tesla is not a car company but a tech company, so now Ford give that notion a validation and get flaked. 

Weird bunch for sure.

It is almost as if the Tesla fan boys suffer from an extreme version of buyer’s remorse and constantly must convince themselves that they made an appropriate purchase. 

Hence why we constantly have to hear Tesla are the greatest, fastest, safest, blah blah blah. Autopilot is the best, Elon is King blah blah blah.

Ferrari people don't constantly chant Enzo! Enzo! Enzo! Nor do Porsche people shouting Ferdinand 🙄

I mean, sure Tesla's monopoly on EV got disrupted, big time, disruptor got disrupted, oh the irony. But the company is still around, still making cars, still can't turn a profit from selling cars, but that's another story.

I'm here Smiley

Enzo II:
    Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:
    Whoopsy:

https://insideevs.com/news/445857/ford-ignores-tesla-makes-bold-false-claims/

Tesla people are so easily triggered. 

Another thing is, Tesla people always claimed Tesla is not a car company but a tech company, so now Ford give that notion a validation and get flaked. 

Weird bunch for sure.

It is almost as if the Tesla fan boys suffer from an extreme version of buyer’s remorse and constantly must convince themselves that they made an appropriate purchase. 

Hence why we constantly have to hear Tesla are the greatest, fastest, safest, blah blah blah. Autopilot is the best, Elon is King blah blah blah.

Ferrari people don't constantly chant Enzo! Enzo! Enzo! Nor do Porsche people shouting Ferdinand 🙄

I mean, sure Tesla's monopoly on EV got disrupted, big time, disruptor got disrupted, oh the irony. But the company is still around, still making cars, still can't turn a profit from selling cars, but that's another story.

I'm here Smiley

SmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

--

Happy 57th birthday Leawood! wink have a great day at the lake!

116434907_3320416878017334_6497060582297588081_n_1 (2).jpg

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Thank you Carlos!  Very much appreciated!!  Chiefs gave me an early Monday night football present!!  

happy birthday leawood!

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

Happy birthday Mr. 911wink

Happy birthday Leawood! Enjoy in good health with your beloved ones wink

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Whoopsy:

Depending on AWD or RWD, and the build in tolerance. 

Smiley A guy I know, he uses the Performante on the track often, switched the Trofeo R with different sized Michelin Cup 2 (R maybe?). He almost crashed the car, not a very good idea. Very aggressive but extremely capable driver, so it wasn't his fault.

Lamborghini spoiled a new Trofeo R on the horizon, with highly improved track capabilities but also improved wet performance. Size should fit my car as well, so I am thinking of giving it a try. Not sure it is a good idea for road driving though, we'll see.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Joost:

Happy birthday Leawood! Enjoy in good health with your beloved ones wink

+1 Happy Birthday !! Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755527 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431696 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258891 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255955 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79945 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869004 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803088 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM