Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ferrari Roma

I had Argento Nurburgring on my F12 and found it to be a little "thin" and lacking in depth or sparkle. Ferrari has yet to really nail a mid to light metallic grey in the way some other manufacturers have. The best to date is Grigio Ferro in my view but that is pay extra colour.

ISUK:

I'd have agreed with you on the era of cars you are talking about Nick - the 430, 575, and 612. Grigio alloy can look washed out especially if twinned with silver wheels which is pretty much all that was on offer from Ferrai back in 05 and earlier. It is a pale metallic blue in reality and needs darker wheels and some dark body accents to make it pop. That era of cars were pretty much just all body colour with little in the way of visual relief details to break up the colour and add some contrast.

Here is Grigio Alloy on a Roma beside an Argento Nurburgring car. I'm not normally a fan of either colour on Ferraris but on this car due to the front splitter, side skirts and rear diffuser in either the standard satin black finish or the optional carbon fibre, these colours work well when paired with the dark painted diamond finish wheel and the Scuderia wing shields which help to give the car a more purposeful look. Both colours really accentuate the curved surfacing on the cars. Photo's partially help to convey that but once you see the cars in person you'll have a much better idea of just how sensitive this design is to light and dark colours and wheel choices. Swap out the wheels on either car for the silver options and you ruin the look IMHO.

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 19.20.55.png

These two pictures show how beautiful the car is. It looks elegant, understated and dynamic. Smiley

Do you have a personal opinion regarding the two different finishes (standard satin black finish or the optional carbon fibre) for the front splitter, side skirts and rear diffuser?

The carbon looks good but is a crazy price. It's very easy to quickly make it a very expensive car if you tick lots of options. I kept my spec in check to minimise depreciation as there is a limit to what I think used buyers will look to pay for this type of car. If that isn't a concern then go for the carbon if you like it and want a maximum, sporty look for the car. If you are going for a more elegant look it doesn't need the carbon IMHO.

In the photo above the Argento car had carbon and the Grigio Alloy had the standard satin black finish. The satin looks fine to me but others may think the carbon is the way to go. I forgot to take any close up shots of the standard finish so I asked my dealer to take some for me the following day. The camera on his phone can't be great quality but these should give you an idea.

IMG_3854-1.JPG

IMG_3855.JPG

Rear diffuser sport exhaust.JPG

This is the list of standard finishes for the exterior.

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 22.57.11.png

For potential owners in the US and Canada along with Latin America, South Korea, China and the Gulf states these markets are getting a new interpretation of the bumperettes on the rear diffuser.

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 22.38.00.png

I’d imagine for this type of car, being a more useable “daily” Ferrari and also geared for grand touring, that carbon option would just add stress to driving it a lot. Those splinters and side skirts are going to be expensive to replace if they get damaged. 

Totally agree, does carbon really have a place on a GT?

Iain,

I find the diamond cut wheel unattractive, what alternative do you suggest?  thanks

watt:

Iain,

I find the diamond cut wheel unattractive, what alternative do you suggest?  thanks

I remember reading one of the columnist writers in Car magazaine I think it was, over 30 years ago now, who likened wheels to shoes that complete an outfit in terms of a car's appearance. That idea has always stuck in my mind.

There are only two wheel designs for the Roma and each have three different finish options thus giving you a total choice of 6 different looks. I didn't expect to like the diamond finish dark painred wheel option as I've had quite a few cars in the last 12 years with a variiation on that so felt it time for a change. It was a big part of why I chose the silver option for my Huracan. However, having seen the Roma on the same forged wheel option in the gloss liguid Silver finish and the gloss Grigio Silverstone Diamond cut finish I personaly went for the latter as I think they give the car a more purposeful look in person.

The gloss silver option on the forged wheel is a very high gloss finish so is bright. If you want a more toned down, old school look more in keeping with the "normal" wheel finishes of 10 + years ago then I suspect the standard cast wheel in the matte Liquid silver finish is the only option that will achieve that. I haven't seen that wheel in person but have to assume it is going to be a more satin finish type laquer as opposed to a very flat look. There are two options for a grey wheel - the matte (satin?) Grigio Corsa cast rim or the gloss Grigio Corsa forged rim. Both would give different looks.

It's personal choice though and tied to the colour you choose for the paintwork. Just bear in mind that photographs cannot always convey how the wheels actually will look to you in real life. The diamond finish option can look very grey when taken from a 3/4 perspective but as you are often waliking towards or away from the car when looking at it your eyes do not simply see that momentary angle so you pick out the polished edge. If it is not a finish that you like on a wheel though that will make little difference.

The standard cast wheel is more reminiscent of the traditional Ferrari 5 spoke wheel designs as the arms flare wider as they approach the centre hub giving that classic star shape design.

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 08.24.09.png

One thing I noticed reading through the ordering guide last night that may be worth bringing to the attention of anyone who is thinking of ordering an early car. I posted this photo of what I thought was the standard finish for the seats.

1601107433680IMG_3841.JPG

Those are in fact the optional full electric seat (code RSFE). The visual difference to the standard seat is the addition of the black insert strip on the cushion and backrest which matches the area around the head rest. The RSFE seat is standard in the UK market but I don't know what is standard in other markets.

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 09.01.04.png

Reading through the guide it would appear that Ferrari are also blocking some colour combinations on this car so it looks like they are trying to prevent customers from making bad choices and damaging the image they are trying to create for the car.

watt,

If you like a blue exterior and want the Blu Sterling interior you could use this 812 Superfast for inspiration. You could create a similar look on the Roma with any of the silver wheel options, Blu Tour de France exterior (or Blu Pozzi), seats in Blu Sterling, lower cabin area in Blu sterling (option PIP7), have the deliniating line that sweeps around the sides of the centre tunnel, over the dash, across each door and around the rear seat bases (option CLDT) in Grigio Chiaro leather (very pale grey), contrast stiching in Grigio Chiaro and the Cavalinos on the headrests in Grigio Chiaro. That would make for an elegant look on the interior. If going without shields I'd pick either silver or black callipers. If you want to give it a bit of visual impact on the exterior then pair the shields with yellow callipers.

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 15.22.25.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-26 at 15.23.02.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-26 at 15.22.43.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-26 at 15.23.29.png

I thank you Iain,

The Blue blood I havesmiley is seeping out and i'm leaning back to Pozzi, Sterling with Shields, perhaps blue calipers rather than yellow......

The dealer's sun config for Pozzi.

Blu Pozzi - Outdoors.pdf

While cast wheels make sense for strength, I'm no longer running Nevada's pot holed 2 lane at 140-155, the roads in N Rockies are better.  I really like the matte grigio corsa alloy [only the diamond cut looks good in cast to my eye and not right for pozzi], but i think you're right silver is better w Pozzi..

Where I am in very sunny so Pozzi would show blue, when in London e.g., it might show almost black.

Blu Pozzi - Indoors.pdf

This is first Ferrari I've liked since the Speciale [Pinafarina].

It's the first Centro Stile penned car I've liked as well kiss  It seems to be a hit. Out of 5 customers at my dealer who drove the car at the Silverstone event last weekend, 4 of us have placed an order. That bodes well for residuals.

In the current issue of CAR magazine a very attractive Roma is featured. In a dark silver/light grey exterior (looks  darker than Silverstone but it could the printing)  with black and red interior.

That would have been my preference if I were in the envious position to order this car.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

mcdelaug:

Only there to maximise Ferrari profit margins.

Thanks crayphile, that’s the way it seems to me too. For a GT, I’d want to focus on leather, fabrics, stitching, color and tech, but carbon bits seem expensive with little contribution to the aesthetic or performance. I’ve seen a few of the Aston cars with a bunch carbon options, but they just seem out of character for the car.

ISUK:

For potential owners in the US and Canada along with Latin America, South Korea, China and the Gulf states these markets are getting a new interpretation of the bumperettes on the rear diffuser.

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 22.38.00.png

They actually don’t look that bad 

These days you can also easily foil the plastic with carbon look - not worth to spend the money from Factory.

I was going to spec mine with Grigio Alloy, but leaning towards darker color, perhaps Blu Roma or Blu Pozzi.

It is harder to settle on the interior as Roma allows inverted colored on the driver/passenger zone.  Not sure I want a brighter or darker interior for a dark exterior car.

Jean:

I was going to spec mine with Grigio Alloy, but leaning towards darker color, perhaps Blu Roma or Blu Pozzi.

It is harder to settle on the interior as Roma allows inverted colored on the driver/passenger zone.  Not sure I want a brighter or darker interior for a dark exterior car.

A Blu Pozzi with crema leather/blu carpet & stitching would be quite nice. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Enmanuel:

They actually don’t look that bad 

Yeah, the bumperettes look rather like part of a diffuser, a good design.

Here are some of the cars doing a tour of US dealerships for customer driving events. The blue car is in one of the launch colours - Blu Roma. There is quite an upscale charge for this colour: £7,104 in the UK. It has the RSVE seats in Rosso with the lower cabin zone in Rosso. The Argento Nurburgring car looks to mirror the spec of a couple that were at the Silverstone event here in the UK.

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 08.34.49.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 08.35.00.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 08.36.33.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 08.36.46.png

That bleu one could use a drop 👀

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

crayphile:
    mcdelaug:

Smiley Does Ferrari actually sell you a car without carbon? Smiley I remember a friend telling me that a naked F8 Tributo would have over 18 months waiting time but a fully loaded car (especially with carbon) only 6 months. Smiley Funny.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

Smiley Does Ferrari actually sell you a car without carbon? Smiley I remember a friend telling me that a naked F8 Tributo would have over 18 months waiting time but a fully loaded car (especially with carbon) only 6 months. Smiley Funny.

if that is true, this is really short term business mindset. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Ferrari tend to give dealers targets for total options value per car, especially early in the production cycle. They are not pushing carbon options for the Roma if my experience is anything to go by. I haven't got any on my order.

I think a car like this should use atypical colors in a darker palette. I think it would look good in a dark bronze / chocolate metallic with the saddle colored interior. The Blu Roma is nice, but maybe a shade too grey, I’d prefer it be more intensely blue. Greenish tints could work too, maybe something near olive, with a cream and grey bicolor interior. The tail lamps and grill already have a very modern appearance, so it’s needs a sophisticated color palette to convey its role as a current but mature GT car. Just my opinion.

RC:
    crayphile:
    mcdelaug:

Maybe a rumor from a pissed off customer Smiley

I took delivery of MY2020 car and the long wait (6 months) was due to special color, other than that, I was being informed if there would be more delays + covid-19 that got in the way (add another 4 months) Total 10 months.

Both work but ideally need the deliniating strip between the black and coloured leather sections in a contrast colour like Grgio Chiaro. It's worth noting what the ordering guide tells their dealers -

"Given the vehicle’s Gran Turismo character, we recommend metallic colours, which more strongly emphasise the smooth and elegant lines of the body."

The matte Grigio Corsa finish wheel would work well against Blu Pozzi and yellow callipers. Here is the same wheel finish on a Blu Pozzi 488 spider.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 17.38.32.png

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762396 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435331 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260505 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257559 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872249 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807618 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM