Ferrari Portofino M

Ferrari Portofino M Revealed With More Power And Eight-Speed Auto

twin-turbo 3.9-liter V8
    620PS (+20PS) and 760Nm
    eight-speed gearbox

0-100Km/h: 3.45s
    0-200Km/h: 9.8s

320 km/h

The new clutch module is 20% smaller but delivers 35% more torque, with up to a maximum 1,200 Nm of dynamic torque transmitted when gear shifting. The transmission software strategy has also been evolved with a more powerful ECU.

Re: Ferrari Portofino M

The 'entry level' Ferrari is getting nicer and nicer.

Sort of tempted to get back to Ferrari. Especially now that the owner of the local Ferrari dealer has switched hands and some personal too. 

--

So, a Portofino .2 model then?  Do Ferrari fix the .1 model styling mistakes like Porsche do?  indecision

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

I think the Portofion is very appealing for a certain type of customers. It is a quite comfortable daily driver with a proper engige and an open top.

Whoopsy:

Sort of tempted to get back to Ferrari. Especially now that the owner of the local Ferrari dealer has switched hands and some personal too. 

Agreed. Smiley I'm not a wine lover (actually, I do not drink alcohol at all but I think many of you already know this Smiley) but the Portofino (aka California T successor) has matured like a good wine over the years.

Actually, it has reached a grade of visual and technical perfection, which makes it (almost) boring but also very desirable from a reliability and drivability point of view.

To be honest, I like it a lot now and would probably get one as my convertible if I had the money. 

Regarding Ferrari dealers: They sometimes don't do themselves any favours if they behave like arrogant asses and customers feel like beggars. Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Agreed. Smiley I'm not a wine lover (actually, I do not drink alcohol at all but I think many of you already know this Smiley) but the Portofino (aka California T successor) has matured like a good wine over the years.

Actually, it has reached a grade of visual and technical perfection, which makes it (almost) boring but also very desirable from a reliability and drivability point of view.

To be honest, I like it a lot now and would probably get one as my convertible if I had the money. 

Regarding Ferrari dealers: They sometimes don’t do themselves any favours if they behave like arrogant asses and customers feel like beggars Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Not unknown behaviour from some Porsche dealers, either!

--

Porsche Boxster 981 GTS Carrara white / VW Golf GTI 5dr DSG Tornado Red

dreamcar:

My Porsche dealer tells me of not getting any more new 911 until year-end, hmmm, ... 

d997h:
    dreamcar:

My Porsche dealer tells me of not getting any more new 911 until year-end, hmmm, ... 

discounnnnntttttt Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Porsche is a SUV production company who occasionally also builds some Sportscars 

Was told by a Ferrari guy that the Portofino will be phased out next year, Roma spider to take its place

Italo:

Was told by a Ferrari guy that the Portofino will be phased out next year, Roma spider to take its place

not a good move, Portofino looks much better to me. 

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S;  2019 Speedster

Agreed.

It's the opposite for me. I've always thought the Portofino looked like a poor attempt to add modern Ferrari aero design cues to a type of car that really shouldn't have or need them. The original California upon which it is based was already a reskin of the far prettier Maserati GranTurismo convertible proposal so each successive redesign has simply further compromised the looks IMHO. Centro Stile had a mission to stamp their design language on the range but were brought in during mid cycle refreshes on the model range. The Portofino M is cettainly an improvement on the first Portofino as they have sorted out the awkward styling of the rear bumper.

I was looking at the F8 Tributo yesterday and that has the same issue for me. It is generation 3 of the 458 and with each bit of tinkering by Ferrari's Centro Stile they have diluted the purity of Pininfarina's original design. The rear of that model is just so contrived and a mash of different design cues that it simply does not flow co-herently at all. Unlike Porsche, Ferrari have tended to get their styling absolutely spot on with the initial version of a model then spoil it with the follow up mid life refresh. There have been exceptions to this but as a general rule it holds fast - the 308 was prettier and purer than the 328, the 360 is ageing better than the F430, the F12 is a more harmonious and cohesive design than the 812 Superfast etc.

In stark contrast there was an SF90 at the event and that looks so much better in the metal than it does in photo's. The stance, surface volumes and details all work together as it was a clean sheet design and not a rehash of someone else's work. It looks like exactly like a modern evolution of the mid engined design language and is really how the F8 should have looked had the natural order of model replacement cycles not been tossed in the air by the need to introduce new hybrid power trains. The F8 looks like the stop gap warmed over design that in reality it is.

If you haven't yet seen the Roma in person you might just be surprised at how good it looks when you do. It is another Centro Stile clean sheet design and I'm glad Ferrari have taken the gamble to differentiate the styling of a GT model so clearly and give customers a choice between modern, extravagant mid engine design and refined, elegant grand touring style once again.

Interesting design analysis, thanks. Smiley

--

ISUK:

It's the opposite for me. I've always thought the Portofino looked like a poor attempt to add modern Ferrari aero design cues to a type of car that really shouldn't have or need them. The original California upon which it is based was already a reskin of the far prettier Maserati GranTurismo convertible proposal so each successive redesign has simply further compromised the looks IMHO. Centro Stile had a mission to stamp their design language on the range but were brought in during mid cycle refreshes on the model range. The Portofino M is cettainly an improvement on the first Portofino as they have sorted out the awkward styling of the rear bumper.

I was looking at the F8 Tributo yesterday and that has the same issue for me. It is generation 3 of the 458 and with each bit of tinkering by Ferrari's Centro Stile they have diluted the purity of Pininfarina's original design. The rear of that model is just so contrived and a mash of different design cues that it simply does not flow co-herently at all. Unlike Porsche, Ferrari have tended to get their styling absolutely spot on with the initial version of a model then spoil it with the follow up mid life refresh. There have been exceptions to this but as a general rule it holds fast - the 308 was prettier and purer than the 328, the 360 is ageing better than the F430, the F12 is a more harmonious and cohesive design than the 812 Superfast etc.

In stark contrast there was an SF90 at the event and that looks so much better in the metal than it does in photo's. The stance, surface volumes and details all work together as it was a clean sheet design and not a rehash of someone else's work. It looks like exactly like a modern evolution of the mid engined design language and is really how the F8 should have looked had the natural order of model replacement cycles not been tossed in the air by the need to introduce new hybrid power trains. The F8 looks like the stop gap warmed over design that in reality it is.

If you haven't yet seen the Roma in person you might just be surprised at how good it looks when you do. It is another Centro Stile clean sheet design and I'm glad Ferrari have taken the gamble to differentiate the styling of a GT model so clearly and give customers a choice between modern, extravagant mid engine design and refined, elegant grand touring style once again.

Very well put. 

ISUK:

I was with you until the SF90 comments. I remain to be convinced by the SF90's styling though with its rather awkward front horizontal (hammerhead) fin and large hump at the rear. I suspect that will be superseded by the driving experience though. Unusually for me I am going to wait and see on this car. Of far more interest will be the lightweight 812 Superfast version. The SF90 Spider or Targa version should be out before year end 2020 too.

Italo:

Not very economical to redesign a car for only 1 year production...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    Italo:

Not very economical to redesign a car for only 1 year production...

Ferari usually take over a year to start customer production of a new model so a Roma Spider launch in the Autumn of 2021 would mean customer deliveries not commencing in any volume until January 2023. That gives the Portofino M two years production life which is probably enough to satisfy demand for it.

Will the Roma Spider be a full convertible with soft top? If so, it will be a very classic Ferrari.

I hope they avoid the folding hard top or the targa style open top.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

The car is only a rumour at this stage. I'd predict a return to a soft top as the era of the folding hard top cabrio appears to be coming to an end thankfully. They are simply too large to try and package when folded into a car of this size.

This render was produced by a contributor to Ferrari Chat. Apart from the ugly rear spoiler and after market over sized wheels it gives an idea of how a Spider could look. I would hope Ferrari opt to go for a 2 seat roadster with a soft top (with rigid top section like the Boxster) that folds away under a tonneau that has discreet humps behind each seat. They could then make the space under the roof storage area behind the two seats an additional luggage storage area as Porsche have done with the 911 speedster.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 21.15.09.png

now this looks soooooooooooooo much better

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

Front 3/4 aspect view.

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 20.07.52.png

Roma spider looks good.

Thanks ISUK for a thorough design analysis.

If Ferrari ended up not producing a lot of Portofino M, then it may become a model that one want to keep. 

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S;  2019 Speedster

ISUK:

The car is only a rumour at this stage. I'd predict a return to a soft top as the era of the folding hard top cabrio appears to be coming to an end thankfully. They are simply too large to try and package when folded into a car of this size.

This render was produced by a contributor to Ferrari Chat. Apart from the ugly rear spoiler and after market over sized wheels it gives an idea of how a Spider could look. I would hope Ferrari opt to go for a 2 seat roadster with a soft top (with rigid top section like the Boxster) that folds away under a tonneau that has discreet humps behind each seat. They could then make the space under the roof storage area behind the two seats an additional luggage storage area as Porsche have done with the 911 speedster.

Hmmm, to me the humps harken back to the race-inspired shapes I thought the Roma was intended to break from.   IMO it would be much cleaner as a cabrio without humps, along the lines of the now-classic BMW Z8. And leave the humps for the mid engine cars.

--

4trac:
    ISUK:

Hmmm, to me the humps harken back to the race-inspired shapes I thought the Roma was intended to break from.   IMO it would be much cleaner as a cabrio without humps, along the lines of the now-classic BMW Z8. And leave the humps for the mid engine cars.

Valid point. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Guys, you do realise that the images I posted are just renders from Ferrari Chat smiley  The car has not even officially been confirmed so any design cues are purely speculative on the part of the guy who made these and reflect his vision of the car. Ferrari may come up with no spider at all.

If they do introduce such a model they may design it with a flat deck lid in a more tradtional style with roll hoops like the new Aston Vantage Roadster or may choose to incorporate some degree of humps to help with the roof down aero as they help channel turbulent air more effectively and may make the cabin less blustery for occupants when combined with a retractable glass wind deflector. Modest humps would give it a visual link to the Monza SP2 which is something they might be tempted to do. I guess it all depends if they decide to make such a model and if they then try to differentiate the coupe as the GT 2+ model and the Spider as a two seat front mid engined sports car that targets a very different audience.

Yes Iain we know these are speculation, but just discussing "if they were real" thoughts.... no harm done.  kiss

--

wink

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690920 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410089 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256162 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235384 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65736 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858759 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775050 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM