Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

Boxster Coupe GTS:

The important question is whether there is sufficient demand for Tesla to actually need to open a factory in Europe? Smiley

B0BEE0BE-4915-4B7D-97F4-1C77F2A35D01.jpeg

...at this point a Tesla factory in Germany appears redundant... and by 2021? Smiley

Your data about Tesla quite often does not sound right , this one specially .

In Switzerland , a tiny country with a population of 8 million, just in the month of September  1'144 Tesla's were sold. ( VW all models combined 1'546 )And for the  total sales for the year they are amongst the ones who have decreased the least....

Sans titre1.jpeg

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

The important question is whether there is sufficient demand for Tesla to actually need to open a factory in Europe? Smiley

...at this point a Tesla factory in Germany appears redundant... and by 2021? Smiley

In Switzerland , a tiny country with a population of 8 million, just in the month of September  1'144 Tesla's were sold. ( VW all models combined 1'546 )And for the  total sales for the year they are amongst the ones who have decreased the least....

Sans titre1.jpeg

In the combined Norway, Netherlands and Spain EV sales, the VW ID.3 has overtaken the Tesla Model 3 - feel free to check the data...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

I wonder how popular the VW ID.3 and ID.4 will be in Germany, Switzerland, France, UK, Sweden, etc?  BF822CAF-50E5-4C47-9B23-F36F9B8F5A9C.gif

Also, did you notice that the Tesla Model Y - which was meant to be the SUV competitor providing big volumes for Tesla  - has turned out to be an embarrassing sales failure! Smiley

By this time next year, Tesla will be have become the discount Taxi supplier of choice, with VW-Audi significantly outselling EV models based on their existing customer base in Europe! Smiley

Teslas are the perfect vehicle of choice for Swiss highways. Everyone drives like a robot, so autopilot will be of great use there. Autopilot and Swiss highways are like a match made in heaven. 

Literally all EVs have enough range to go from one end of Switzerland to the other end. Teslas have more than enough range to do a round trip from Geneva to Zurich and back.

--

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    Gnil:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Sans titre1.jpeg

In the combined Norway, Netherlands and Spain EV sales, the VW ID.3 has overtaken the Tesla Model 3 - feel free to check the data...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

I wonder how popular the VW ID.3 and ID.4 will be in Germany, Switzerland, France, UK, Sweden, etc?  BF822CAF-50E5-4C47-9B23-F36F9B8F5A9C.gif

Also, did you notice that the Tesla Model Y - which was meant to be the SUV competitor providing big volumes for Tesla  - has turned out to be an embarrassing sales failure! Smiley

By this time next year, Tesla will be have become the discount Taxi supplier of choice, with VW-Audi significantly outselling EV models based on their existing customer base in Europe! Smiley

Yet the equity markets continue to assess the value of Tesla’s intangible assets, namely the value of its brand, multiples more than that of the Volkswagen Group. Within the confines of the efficient market hypothesis, once the true state of the world is revealed to Tesla investors, it will be an eye opening, as well as wallet emptying, experience. 

This is what everyone is hoping for - on VWs board. I hope it works out for them. 
    Still I can’t wait to the the quality improvements from Tesla Berlin. German manufacturing and Tesla - a marriage made in heaven. 

Leawood911:

This is what everyone is hoping for - on VWs board. I hope it works out for them. 
    Still I can’t wait to the the quality improvements from Tesla Berlin. German manufacturing and Tesla - a marriage made in heaven. 

You do know that Tesla’s automation group is based in Germany?  In late 2016, Tesla acquired Grohmann Automation, a major engineering automation firm to the auto industry before the Tesla acquisition. Therefore, Grohmann was instrumental in providing factory floor automation systems for the Model 3 and Model Y, yet production problems still exist.  Perhaps the problems are Elon related. 

CGX car nut:
     Perhaps the problems are Elon related. 

That cannot be so, he is the chosen one, a superior being, possibly an alien, he knows all and never lies...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    CGX car nut:
     Perhaps the problems are Elon related. 

That cannot be so, he is the chosen one, a superior being, possibly an alien, he knows all and never lies...

--

You guys are silly or jealous. I can’t tell. His designer came fro lm Audi, down don’t he?  Good German name. 
    So you have answered I guess. Berlin, employing Germans, like the automation firm also will not be able to deliver quality because it is an Elon thing. 
    Still waiting for another alien or two to put on the list. Any ideas?  

Lizard people I tell you, straight from the lizard people he is... 

Tesla's built in Germany will sell well in Europe. The reasons for this are too numerous to list.kiss

--

A good memory is fine but the ability to forget is the one true test of greatness.

Even the Fremont factory is capable of building good quality cars, if they are not trying to hit a impossible production number for Elon. Just give the line worker enough time to finish their part and QA team can also do it’s job.

--

Whoopsy:

Even the Fremont factory is capable of building good quality cars, if they are not trying to hit a impossible production number for Elon. Just give the line worker enough time to finish their part and QA team can also do it’s job.

+1 the fact is other cars made in the US do not have these ridiculous quality issues, so its not because its made join America vs Europe.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

+1 the fact is other cars made in the US do not have these ridiculous quality issues, so its not because its made join America vs Europe.

Perhaps the quality issues are a bit over reported due to it being Tesla.  I get that there are problems but keep in mind others also have issues. From what I heard BMW, GM and Hyundai are recalling their EVs due to battery fires. 

Overall, can’t believe I am saying this, we may see Tesla change up the manufacturing process quite a bit for the better. I like that he simply takes a new approach to everything.

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

Perhaps the quality issues are a bit over reported due to it being Tesla.

You would have to be blind not to see that there is an issue, it's even well known in fanboy sites... it's not about design faults like weak suspension parts or chips with too limited memory for the job, its about endless different problems that come up from not being put together properly in the factory line.

--

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

Perhaps the quality issues are a bit over reported due to it being Tesla.  I get that there are problems but keep in mind others also have issues. From what I heard BMW, GM and Hyundai are recalling their EVs due to battery fires. 

Overall, can’t believe I am saying this, we may see Tesla change up the manufacturing process quite a bit for the better. I like that he simply takes a new approach to everything.

No one else ship cars with missing bolts, or Home Depot wood fasteners, etc. Tesla’s problems are unique to Tesla and no one else. 
    Elon simply didn’t leave enough time for each station on a line to finish the job, especially during the last weeks of the quarters, he simply crank it up a few notches in order to push out enough cars to meet his target. In every other car manufacturing line, if a station isn’t completed in time, they have a stop button. It would seems no one dare to push that button on the Tesla line and they simply leave out bolts and parts and let the car go to the next station unfinished.

Elon tried to re-invent the wheel on car making. He tried to replace everyone with robots, didn’t quite worked out did it? There is a reason why everyone didn’t try doing that. It doesn’t work that way in the real life. He learned a hard lesson and went into ‘production hell’, self inflicted. 

these quality issues are also self inflicted, he can’t blame anyone but himself for pushing the impossible. 

--

If you look you will see I commented on Fremont being rushed and there being stresses on quality. 
    Where we differ is in that I don’t see it an evil intentional plot on Elon’s part or assign that he is somehow not up to the task of correcting this. That is just some sick shit. Sorry. So is accusing me of being blind when I make a simple statement which takes the failures as fact and does not dispute quality problems but also sees the reality - 

I think we can agree that things like cheating emissions is an intentional act.  To claim faulty quality show me where Tesla has tried to save money by not using state of the art technology and processes. Is his quality due to lack of concern and reckless attitude or is it due to bleeding edge tech implementation not working 100% the first time. We can discuss this but cheating emissions is in fact inexcusable.   I’m just trying to illustrate a business manufacturing problem vs fraud.  
    Of course now you will be calling Elon a fraud and liar next. Bring it ion. You guys are really off the deep end. Not me. Lol. 

Its as you don't even read what you write  for example 

Leawood911:

If you look you will see I commented on Fremont being rushed and there being stresses on quality. 

No, you tried to excuse them by saying they where being over-reported

Where we differ is in that I don’t see it an evil intentional plot on Elon’s part

You don't, nor anybody else except in your imagination

or assign that he is somehow not up to the task of correcting this.

Happened with the model3, and now with the modelY... just out of curiosity when should we expect Musk to be correcting this? Maybe when they are profitable at making cars?

That is just some sick shit. Sorry. So is accusing me of being blind when I make a simple statement which takes the failures as fact and does not dispute quality problems but also sees the reality - 

No, you said the suspensions failures must of been due to potholes lol and because its Tesla its all been blow out of proportion in the media.... that is not my definition of taking failures as facts and not disputing quality problems

I think we can agree that things like cheating emissions is an intentional act.  To claim faulty quality show me where Tesla has tried to save money by not using state of the art technology and processes. Is his quality due to lack of concern and reckless attitude or is it due to bleeding edge tech implementation not working 100% the first time. We can discuss this but cheating emissions is in fact inexcusable.   I’m just trying to illustrate a business manufacturing problem vs fraud.  

Sorry but I will take a car that cheats the populist hypocritical bs european car emissions regulations ( while they look the other way to the real causes of pollution) over a car that snaps its suspension or looses its roof on the highway....

Of course now you will be calling Elon a fraud and liar next. Bring it ion. You guys are really off the deep end. Not me. Lol. 

You mean he doesn't even lie in your mind? And didn't he have to settle for SEC fraud? Talk about being off the deep end lol ...He even has a webpage dedicated to keeping track of his lies  

https://www.elonmusk.today/

--

Of course. I agree. Good website. Geeez

The new Escalade. It has more range, more luxurious, more room inside, more technology, more gadget better fit and finish than a Model X.

Why would anyone wanting a Model X over this?

--

Also the Escalade looks much better... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

I think it is time - given this is a car forum - to allow people the chance to decide on a car without shaming them.  It gets a bit excessive. 
    looks are a subjective.  Any other specs? 

Leawood911:
    RC:

I think it is time - given this is a car forum - to allow people the chance to decide on a car without shaming them.  It gets a bit excessive. 
    looks are a subjective.  Any other specs? 

Last time I checked people still have a right to express their own opinion here even if they go against Teslas? let me check again... ... yup, still says rennteam on the banner and not teslarati... carry on

and in this case there is not much subjectivety about it, one looks like a minivan the other like a SUV, in what world does a minivan look better than a SUV.... unless we are taking about interior looks, oh wait... its a Tesla interior, nevermind

--

I enjoy how short the anti-Tesla triggers are here.  From a US market perspective, the Escalade will steal from the Cayenne much more than the Model Y.

waiting for PDK:

I enjoy how short the anti-Tesla triggers are here.  From a US market perspective, the Escalade will steal from the Cayenne much more than the Model Y.

Model Y? You mean model X, right? 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

waiting for PDK:

In the US market and even North American market, some people are quite loyal to domestic brands, and the Caddy badge is not on the same level as a Porsche badge.

CT5 is the competitor to Model Y, and I don't think people will pick the CT5 over a Model Y.

Escalade is the direct competitor to a Model X, price wise and feature wise. the Caddy even have Supercruise.

Model X pretty much stole all the minivan sales, all soccer moms have switched from driving minivans to Model X by now, jus check morning school runs and you will have the answer. I have been doing that every morning for the last 14 years and have another 6 yeast to do. There was a major shift from minivans to Model Xs when it first came out, I also see less of the Lexus RXs, Acura SUVs, most of the old Escalades are gone too. Downside to that is the slow moving door, takes longer for kids to get in and out so the morning drop offs takes a bit longer since they can't be slammed shut. 

I can see the new Escalade being in favour again for school runs, big roomy and doors that can be slammed shut in one second.

--

Just imagine an Escalade EV with the same power the Tesla X has but maybe slightly more range. Would it sell? For the same amount of money the Tesla X does? 

I hate it when manufacturers give EVs a forced futuristic design. The Taycan is the only exception. Tesla's design is also quite "down to earth" for an EV.

--

RC:

Just imagine an Escalade EV with the same power the Tesla X has but maybe slightly more range. Would it sell? For the same amount of money the Tesla X does? 

I hate it when manufacturers give EVs a forced futuristic design. The Taycan is the only exception. Tesla's design is also quite "down to earth" for an EV.

I would not underestimate speed junkies like me. The model X is very very quick. Does this Caddy have any performance numbers other than range yet?  Here in the US if it is not nearly as quick it will not compete well. I hope it is.  Like the Hummer GM announced it may be some time before the batteries, charging and Tech arrive. Just thought i would mention this since there seems to be vapor ware sensitivity around here. 
    At least they are competing and see the writing on the wall here in the US. 

RC:

i feel exactly the same way... tesla models look just boring... and the model X looks strange, tries to be an SUV but looks like an estate with extra high roof... yes the only real exeption is the tycan... but I must say I really love where Volvo is going with the Polestar..., I think that tesla needs to make some changes on the long run... 

Cadillac already has a new EV crossover entering production at the old Saturn facility in Spring Hill, Tennessee.  

LYRIQ Show Car Leads Cadillac Into Electric Future

The brand’s first all-electric vehicle introduces a new era in luxury, technology and zero-tailpipe-emissions performance

2020-08-06

file

Cadillac’s introduction of its electric portfolio begins today with the debut of the LYRIQ show car — a dynamic, modern and fully electric luxury crossover. 

The propulsion system and supporting technologies position Cadillac to be a leader in electrification, connectivity and automated driving, all delivered with thrilling performance and a new threshold in technology integration.

“Led by LYRIQ, Cadillac will redefine American luxury over the next decade with a new portfolio of transformative EVs,” said Steve Carlisle, executive vice president and president, GM North America. “We will deliver experiences that engage the senses, anticipate desires and enable our customers to go on extraordinary journeys.”

The LYRIQ is based on GM’s next-generation, modular electric vehicle platform and driven by the Ultium propulsion system, allowing Cadillac to deliver customers a variety of range and performance options. With range being one of the biggest factors when it comes to selecting an EV, we’re designing LYRIQ to offer beyond 300 miles of range on a full charge, based on internal testing1. Performance and technology highlights include:

• Charging options that fit a variety of preferences for home, the workplace and on the road — including DC fast charging rates over 150 kilowatts and Level 2 charging rates up to 19 kW2
    • Rear-wheel drive and performance all-wheel drive configurations
    • LYRIQ will offer the enhanced version of Super Cruise3, the industry’s first truly hands-free driver assistance feature, available on more than 200,000 miles of enabled roads and recently updated to include lane change on demand
    • New technologies such as dual-plane augmented reality-enhanced head-up display and remote self-parking
    • The brand’s most seamless and adaptive technology interaction with the driver and passengers, including the latest Cadillac user experience, which is showcased in a 33-inch-diagonal advanced LED screen the spans the entire viewing area of the driver

“LYRIQ was conceived to make every journey exhilarating and leverages more than a century of innovation to drive the brand into a new era, while rewarding passengers with a more personal, connected and immersive experience,” said Jamie Brewer, Cadillac LYRIQ chief engineer. “To do this we developed an architecture specifically for EVs.  It is not only an exceptional EV, but first and foremost a Cadillac.”

LIBERATING PERFORMANCE

Some luxury EVs today feature adapted traditional internal combustion engine architecture, that is not the case with LYRIQ. Cadillac’s all-new, modular EV platform on which the LYRIQ is based is the foundation for its liberating performance. With a dedicated EV architecture, its design eliminates significant physical constraints associated with adapting electric propulsion within a conventional vehicle architecture, for an optimized design that supports greater driving range, an engaging driving experience and a new interpretation of passenger space.

Within the LYRIQ, the Ultium battery system is a structural element of the architecture, integrated in ways that contribute to ride and handling, as well as safety. In fact, the lower center of gravity and near 50/50 weight distribution enabled by the placement of the battery pack results in a vehicle that’s sporty, responsive and allows for spirited driving.

Additionally, the LYRIQ is driven primarily by the rear wheels, with a performance all-wheel drive option available. The placement of the drive motor at the rear of the vehicle contributes an even greater feeling of balance and agility — attributes that affirm Cadillac’s longstanding commitment to satisfying performance. It also enables the system to channel more torque to the pavement without wheelspin for exhilarating acceleration and greater cornering capability. Vehicles equipped with performance all-wheel drive go a step further, with a second drive unit placed at the front of the vehicle, which allows for a significant amount of tuning flexibility, enhancing vehicle dynamics and performance for drivers.

ALL-NEW ULTIUM BATTERY SYSTEM

The Cadillac LYRIQ is powered by GM’s new Ultium battery system, which offers approximately 100 kilowatt-hours of energy to deliver stirring performance.

Ultium’s state-of-the-art NCMA (nickel-cobalt-manganese-aluminum) chemistry uses aluminum in the cathode to help reduce the need for rare-earth materials such as cobalt. In fact, GM engineers reduced the cobalt content by more than 70 percent, compared to current GM batteries.

The advanced battery chemistry is packed in large, flat pouch cells that enable smart module construction to reduce complexity and simplify cooling needs. Additionally, the battery electronics are incorporated directly into the modules, eliminating nearly 90 percent of the battery pack wiring, compared to GM’s current electric vehicles. 

When it comes to charging, LYRIQ offers quick and convenient charging options whether at home or on the go. With DC fast charging, the LYRIQ can charge at rates over 150 kW. 

ARTFULLY INTEGRATED TECHNOLOGY

Envisioned to make interaction with its technologies more intuitive and rewarding, the LYRIQ’s partnership with the driver and passengers is simultaneously energizing and artful.

Upon approach, the LYRIQ recognizes the driver and initiates a “greeting” with a choreographed lighting sequence, while also preparing the cabin for the journey, including seat, mirror and climate system adjustments. Once inside, the LYRIQ offers Cadillac’s highest level of driver information, infotainment and connectivity integration, for a more seamless and rewarding experience.

A 33-inch-diagonal advanced LED display artfully integrates a single, large screen that spans the viewing area for the driver and incorporates driver information details, infotainment controls and camera views. This new display has the highest pixel density available in the automotive industry today and can display over one billion colors, 64 times more than any other vehicle in the automotive industry, providing a stunning in-vehicle experience unlike anything seen before from Cadillac.

Additional technology and interactive highlights include:

• Battery and charging monitoringconveyed by easy, at-a-glance graphics. The system identifies the vehicle’s energy needs at home and on the go, according to owner preferences, while also monitoring and forecasting energy consumption and providing charging suggestions.
    • New dual-plane augmented reality-enhanced head-up display employs two planes: a near plane indicating speed, direction and more, and a far plane displaying transparent navigation signals and other important alerts.
    • Super Cruise. LYRIQ will offer the enhanced version of the hands-free driver assistance feature, including lane change on demand.3
    • Supervised remote parking that uses ultrasonic sensors to help the LYRIQ park itself in parallel or perpendicular parking spaces — whether the driver is inside or outside of the vehicle.4

SENSE OF SOUND

LYRIQ’s technology also addresses sound in two important ways: Blocking unwanted sounds and making the most of the sounds passengers want to hear.

For the first time, Cadillac will introduce a new road noise cancellation technology, which takes active noise cancellation to the next level by introducing more microphones and accelerometers, which improve noise cancellation abilities. With this new system, Cadillac’s performance and audio engineers can target the frequency range of tire cavity noise, reducing the noise level in the vehicle and allowing for a quieter in-cabin experience.

The Cadillac LYRIQ builds on the brand’s exclusive partnership with AKG. “With LYRIQ we wanted to deliver a sound experience that would transport the driver from a vehicle into a recording studio,” said Hussein Khalil, Cadillac lead audio design release engineer. “With the AKG sound system, we are able to deliver this experience along with the quality and reliability luxury customers expect.”

At launch, LYRIQ will offer a 19-speaker AKG Studio audio system that delivers exceptionally crisp and precise sound reproduction, enabling drivers and passengers to enjoy their favorite music.

NEW FACE OF CADILLAC

Cadillac’s first electric SUV makes a bold design statement that introduces a new face, proportion and presence for the brand’s new generation of EVs. It’s a forward-looking vision unconstrained by the needs of a traditional internal combustion engine and driveline.

“The LYRIQ represents the next iteration of the iconic brand’s styling, enabled by electrification, as only Cadillac can express,” said Andrew Smith, executive director, Global Cadillac Design. “Inside and out, LYRIQ is a thoughtful integration of design and technology and is intended to make every drive an occasion.”

Defined by taut lines and clean surfaces, LYRIQ is assertive and modern, characterized with a low, fast roofline and wide stance that emphasize agility and convey confidence. Additional details such as a flow-through roof spoiler express the careful attention paid to aerodynamics to optimize efficiency on the highway.

A distinctive “black crystal” grille in the front is one of the LYRIQ’s most unique and expressive design elements. It is also a dynamic feature, as it is part of a dramatic lighting choreography that — along with bold vertical, slim LED signature lighting — greets the owner upon approach. At the rear, a split taillamp design incorporates slim LEDs that are also integrated into the lighting choreography.

Inside, the LYRIQ’s new electric vehicle architecture opens up possibilities in vehicle spaciousness and design; and Cadillac designers used this as an opportunity to rethink how to use the space and where to locate various interior elements.

The result is a more airy, minimalistic design that does more to involve the driver and passengers in the driving experience while offering exceptional functionality when it comes to storage solutions. It is also brimming with subtle yet obsessive details such as backlit speaker grilles, curved screens with hidden storage and, like the exterior, orchestrated lighting features.

# # #

1Based on initial Cadillac testing.  Official EPA estimates not yet available. Your actual range may vary based on several factors, including temperature, terrain, battery age, and how you use and maintain your vehicle.

2Actual charge times will vary based on battery condition, output of charger, vehicle settings and outside temperature.

3Even while using the Super Cruise driver assistance feature, always pay attention while driving and do not use a hand-held device.  Visit cadillacsupercruise.com for compatible highways and more information.  Requires properly equipped vehicle, active Super Cruise subscription, working electrical system, cell reception, and GPS signal.

4Safety or driver assistance features are no substitute for the driver’s responsibility to operate the vehicle in a safe manner. The driver should remain attentive to traffic, surroundings and road conditions at all times. Visibility, weather and road conditions may affect feature performance. Read the vehicle’s owner’s manual for more important safety limitations and information.

Cadillac Lyriq concept interior video: https://youtu.be/MPYVocwRrks

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754621 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431335 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258817 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255774 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79781 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868771 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802629 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM