Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

Maybe you guys should read what I write. I’m pretty consistent. It is a good drivers aid. The best. You are better off with it than without it. I would never trust it. In the future it will be fine, eventually. 
    Cars that don’t have this capability will not sell at some point. 
    What is the fascinating aspect with putting words in my mouth or reading my mind?  Maybe you guys should just go drive one. Have I mentioned this?  
    Maybe I should post articles about ICE cars crashing due to idiot drivers but that would be tooooo many to list. 

I will say this - after all the cars I have owned the Model3 is by far and away the most fun to drive on the road (not track) and the safest. Period. Not even close. 

You are consistent. But you only talk about how YOU use it. You do not represent the vast majority. Far from it, you are the exception, not the norm.

The majority out there do NOT drive like you or use the systems like you do.

The question is how would you use it?  Do you make buying decisions for others or for yourself?  If you can trust yourself then why care about the other idiots. They are wrecking all types of cars. Thousands of them. Each would be safer with more active safety, even the idiots. 
    If we stopped progress due to fear someone would misuse it then we might as well start walking. 

So let’s come up with a better name than autopilot. The name is the biggest objection I have heard. Not really an issue for owners with online owners manuals and warnings each time they turn in the system. 

Leawood911:
    mcdelaug:

The simple fix here is to revoke that human’s license. TSLA should consider assessing driver engagement the way Supercruise does in the CT6.

If you don’t keep your hand on the wheel it will stop driving itself in about 10 seconds. No kidding. The people sleeping either have their hand on the wheel or they rigged something.   Or it may be fake news. If you ignore the command to put your hand on the wheel the car will make a very very loud beeping noise - enough to wake you from the dead - and if you still don’t take over it will assume you are dead and it will pull over and come to a complete stop.  Some of the stories clearly have more to them in terms of what the idiots are doing to get around the 10 second rule. 

That's the problem bud. Tesla's system is easily defeated. It's too lenient. Install eye trackers, if the driver isn't looking ahead for more than 2 seconds, disconnect the cruise control system. If they driver isn't making constant, CONSTANT contact with the steering wheel with tier hands, disconnect the system. Simple fix. 

--

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

Maybe you guys should read what I write. I’m pretty consistent. It is a good drivers aid. The best. You are better off with it than without it. I would never trust it. In the future it will be fine, eventually. 
    What is the fascinating aspect with putting words in my mouth or reading my mind?  Maybe you guys should just go drive one. Have I mentioned this?  
    Maybe I should post articles about ICE cars crashing due to idiot drivers but that would be tooooo many to list. 

I will say this - after all the cars I have owned the Model3 is by far and away the most fun to drive on the road (not track) and the safest. Period. Not even close. 

You are consistent. But you only talk about how YOU use it. You do not represent the vast majority. Far from it, you are the exception, not the norm.

The question is how would you use it?  Do you make buying decisions for others or for yourself?  If you can trust yourself then why care about the other idiots. They are wrecking all types of cars. Thousands of them. Each would be safer with more active safety, even the idiots. 
    If we stopped progress due to fear someone would misuse it then we might as well start walking. 

So let’s come up with a better name than autopilot. The name is the biggest objection I have heard. Not really an issue for owners with online owners manuals and warnings each time they turn in the system. 

I won't use it, simple. I am the minority as I do not use any cruise control system, period. 

As for your last paragraph, that's what we have been trying to tell you. The majority of Tesla owners do not read the manual nor any warnings. They see the name Autopilot and automatically assumed it is fully automatic. 🤷🏻‍♂️

--

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    mcdelaug:

The simple fix here is to revoke that human’s license. TSLA should consider assessing driver engagement the way Supercruise does in the CT6.

If you don’t keep your hand on the wheel it will stop driving itself in about 10 seconds. No kidding. The people sleeping either have their hand on the wheel or they rigged something.   Or it may be fake news. If you ignore the command to put your hand on the wheel the car will make a very very loud beeping noise - enough to wake you from the dead - and if you still don’t take over it will assume you are dead and it will pull over and come to a complete stop.  Some of the stories clearly have more to them in terms of what the idiots are doing to get around the 10 second rule. 

That's the problem bud. Tesla's system is easily defeated. It's too lenient. Install eye trackers, if the driver isn't looking ahead for more than 2 seconds, disconnect the cruise control system. If they driver isn't making constant, CONSTANT contact with the steering wheel with tier hands, disconnect the system. Simple fix. 

It is cheap and simple to implement a system that cannot be defeated so easily, the Moderl 3 already has the hardware for it from factory (driver facing camera for example) but such s system would hurt sales and image of it being an "autopilot" so in spite of all the crashes and people caught sleeping or watching a movie while driving, Tesla just looks the other way and keeps the useless hand on the wheel system.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    mcdelaug:

Exactly my (unstated) point. YouTube has plenty of info about how to spoof the Autopilot system. Supercruise’s eye tracking is more difficult to spoof.

mcdelaug:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    mcdelaug:

Exactly my (unstated) point. YouTube has plenty of info about how to spoof the Autopilot system. Supercruise’s eye tracking is more difficult to spoof.

We have seen and posted here example upon example of abuses users have made using Tesla's Autopilot.  A few days ago I even posted an extensive study indicating that drivers are influenced by the name of the advanced driver's aids and the connotations attached to more autonomous-sounding names.  Yet, there is a poster or two here that refuses to acknowledge these issues based on his or her driving habits regardless of the behavior of thousands of other drivers.  

The more established automakers have faced decades of costly product liability litigation in the States and have developed systems that still requires significant input from drivers.  This is by design, not inability to compete in the autonomous vehicle space.  Until autonomous systems have much greater than 99.999% reliability, you will not see these systems marketed by the other automakers.  Of course, we also know that Tesla has used the Full Driving System option as a means of financing its operations over the years.  

CGX car nut:
    mcdelaug:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    mcdelaug:

We have seen and posted here example upon example of abuses users have made using Tesla's Autopilot.  A few days ago I even posted an extensive study indicating that drivers are influenced by the name of the advanced driver's aids and the connotations attached to more autonomous-sounding names.  Yet, there is a poster or two here that refuses to acknowledge these issues based on his or her driving habits regardless of the behavior of thousands of other drivers.  

The more established automakers have faced decades of costly product liability litigation in the States and have developed systems that still requires significant input from drivers.  This is by design, not inability to compete in the autonomous vehicle space.  Until autonomous systems have much greater than 99.999% reliability, you will not see these systems marketed by the other automakers.  Of course, we also know that Tesla has used the Full Driving System option as a means of financing its operations over the years.  

Look no farther than some manufacturers' cars locking out the touch screen when moving.............Honda, Toyota/Lexus are the biggest offender. 

--

Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:
    mcdelaug:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    mcdelaug:

Look no farther than some manufacturers' cars locking out the touch screen when moving.............Honda, Toyota/Lexus are the biggest offender. 

Did those manufacturers put the windshield wiper controls on the central touchscreen too?

Breaking News...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

DD2DF6BC-0429-4325-B0EF-BE3C5769EA76.jpeg

...Tesla owner buys 911 GT3 and loves it!  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

China is taking a very close look at Tesla’s “autopilot” technology...  Smiley

13357F43-D825-48AD-A468-BAF9F4EE262D.jpeg

Video Link: https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4551307186670198#&video

...it is time to wake up and smell the coffee...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

BEABDC9B-B548-4FDA-8DB4-6628615A6E5B.jpeg

336F206E-FFEE-4E80-8BD9-E701B32D8029.jpeg

...this technology is clearly not safe (potentially deadly) for pedestrians! Smiley

A767CAD3-D126-480A-87F2-0489AE886DF9.jpeg

68633B57-BC40-4E29-B3C3-9072701E7D75.jpeg

D9E25953-C5CC-414A-998B-F859A3297111.jpeg

Leawood, with all due respect, watch the video and think very carefully about whether this Tesla technology is safe!?! Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

China is taking a very close look at Tesla’s “autopilot” technology...  Smiley

13357F43-D825-48AD-A468-BAF9F4EE262D.jpeg

Video Link: https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4551307186670198#&video

...it is time to wake up and smell the coffee...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

BEABDC9B-B548-4FDA-8DB4-6628615A6E5B.jpeg

336F206E-FFEE-4E80-8BD9-E701B32D8029.jpeg

...this technology is clearly not safe (potentially deadly) for pedestrians! Smiley

A767CAD3-D126-480A-87F2-0489AE886DF9.jpeg

68633B57-BC40-4E29-B3C3-9072701E7D75.jpeg

D9E25953-C5CC-414A-998B-F859A3297111.jpeg

Leawood, with all due respect, watch the video and think very carefully about whether this Tesla technology is safe!?! Smiley

Must be the pedestrian's fault  indecision

--

I think Tesla should start a race series with Model 3s racing each other on autopilot. Cars will get on track and learn the track by itself and find the optimal line though each corner. Each team will write their own navigation algorithms utilizing only the system on-board the Tesla and nothing else.

10-20 of these race cars with different algorithms race on track together. The algorithms would also need to check surrounding area for other cars, calculate their trajectories, and all the while avoid collisions. 

Doing it this way Tesla would learn an enormous amount of progress on car autonomy. Without the distraction of pedestrians, pets, balls, etc, which can be added and refined later on to the algorithm. 

Quick way to see if their camera based system is adequate or not.

I think such a series would be very entertaining to watch. 

Now imagine FIA starting something like this in the future. 

--

Whoopsy:

I think Tesla should start a race series with Model 3s racing each other on autopilot. Cars will get on track and learn the track by itself and find the optimal line though each corner. Each team will write their own navigation algorithms utilizing only the system on-board the Tesla and nothing else.

10-20 of these race cars with different algorithms race on track together. The algorithms would also need to check surrounding area for other cars, calculate their trajectories, and all the while avoid collisions. 

Doing it this way Tesla would learn an enormous amount of progress on car autonomy. Without the distraction of pedestrians, pets, balls, etc, which can be added and refined later on to the algorithm. 

Quick way to see if their camera based system is adequate or not.

I think such a series would be very entertaining to watch. 

Now imagine FIA starting something like this in the future. 

google: Roborace

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

This would be actually a clever publicity stunt but I guess Elon Musk knows why he hasn't done it yet. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

This would be actually a clever publicity stunt but I guess Elon Musk knows why he hasn't done it yet. Smiley

Demolition Derby comes to mind smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    RC:

Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Carlos from Spain:
    RC:

SmileySmileySmiley

rhino:
    Carlos from Spain:
    RC:

SmileySmileySmiley

If one ever had seen Tesla’s Smart Summons in operation one would understand the sheer folly of autonomous Teslas racing around a track.  Lap times are in hours and races would take days to complete.  

Looking forward to the livestream...

https://insideevs.com/news/444738/watch-tesla-battery-day-livestream/

Carlos from Spain:
    RC:

Bowling. With a car and dummies Smiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662034 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401146 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254588 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229161 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59515 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4378 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853484 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761789 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM