Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

Whoopsy:

As long as they can secure sponsors. F1 teams pretty much racing on someone else's dollars. 

I wonder if F1 really helps with selling cars. I never paid attention to race results when it came to buying cars, so... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Renault engines have won a great number of GPs over the last 20 years. Does this motivate someone to buy a Megane instead of a Golf?

Or has the prolonged slump of Ferrari in F1 negatively affected the demand for their cars?

The Mercedes domination of F1 has helped the sales of their cars?

I think the answer is NO to all.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

RC:
    Whoopsy:

As long as they can secure sponsors. F1 teams pretty much racing on someone else's dollars. 

I wonder if F1 really helps with selling cars. I never paid attention to race results when it came to buying cars, so... Smiley

For manufacturers, F1 racing is where someone else paying for their research and development. What they learn they will bring to the road car side eventually. See Honda back in the days with the VTEC technology.

Isn't quite win on Sunday sell on Monday type of thing for F1. The intrinsic value of winning in F1 and selling more cars is hard to define. But going back to Honda's case. A typical consumer cross shopping buying a Civic vs buying a Corolla. The Honda dealer showroom could have a banner about their engines have VTEC which are derived from Honda's F1 engines. Toyota dealer has none of those banners. The idea of having something 'from' a race car could very well sway the buying decision for a fraction of the buying public. It doesn't directly translate to some hard numbers that can be reported, but the effect will be there.

This intrinsic value is what drives a manufacturer into or out of F1 racing. They all have a different value on it.

Ferrari, McLaren will have a higher value than Renault, and Mercedes would slot in somewhere in between. and Honda would be closer to Renault also.

Ferrari, McLaren are in the business of selling sports cars, which people associated with speed. Nothing emphasize speed more than F1 racing. Ferrari is about their total product being fast. McLaren doesn't make their own F1 engines, so the emphasis is on their engineering capability. 

F1 engines are some of the most efficient engines in the world, so Mercedes, Renault and Honda are trying to advance their knowledge in building better engines for their road cars. Mercedes and Renault are also advancing their knowledge of aerodynamics to make their cars more efficient in cutting through the air. 

--

reginos:

Renault engines have won a great number of GPs over the last 20 years. Does this motivate someone to buy a Megane instead of a Golf?

Or has the prolonged slump of Ferrari in F1 negatively affected the demand for their cars?

Yes, this was the point I was making.  Whoopsy has given the traditional arguments for being in F1, but I am wondering, given the dramatic changes now underway in the auto world, whether these are less and less valid.  Especially with younger generation customers.  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

4trac:
    reginos:

Yes, this was the point I was making.  Whoopsy has given the traditional arguments for being in F1, but I am wondering, given the dramatic changes now underway in the auto world, whether these are less and less valid.  Especially with younger generation customers.  

Yeah and manufacturers are heading into Formula E too.

But not sure if the younger generation are watching that. My sons definitely aren't.

--

My son couldn‘t care less about F1 races, he is actually more into YouTube videos than watching full races. 👀

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ngBeXh0Ifk

4:45 Drag Race 1

7:20 Drag Race 2

9:10 Drag Race 3

Both Pirelli PZero

According to Brooks, the track got worse so the 720S spun the tires everytime(more power and less weight). It did a couple of 10.0s before racing the F8.

ferrari will def let him have his SF90 now with this video......lets hope he gets it before his 765 arrives....

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

EnglishManInNY:

ferrari will def let him have his SF90 now with this video......lets hope he gets it before his 765 arrives....

Smiley Smiley

Brooks is a very nice guy, I think I told you guys before, he is in contact with my son, they exchange messages all the time (really really many many times), he really cares about cars and is very knowledgable. Many YouTubers don't even bother to care about their subscribers.

The results from the drag race also put some "fantasy" numbers (10.1 or even lower) for the 992 Turbo S into perspective. Keep in mind that Brooks usually runs his drag races with a very low fuel level and he also turns off the A/C. Also, usually...his cars get drag tires, they just tested the new cars on street tires (he had to switch the 720S tires) for comparison purposes.

--

RC:
    EnglishManInNY:

Smiley Smiley

Brooks is a very nice guy, I think I told you guys before, he is in contact with my son, they exchange messages all the time (really really many many times), he really cares about cars and is very knowledgable. Many YouTubers don't even bother to care about their subscribers.

The results from the drag race also put some "fantasy" numbers (10.1 or even lower) for the 992 Turbo S into perspective. Keep in mind that Brooks usually runs his drag races with a very low fuel level and he also turns off the A/C. Also, usually...his cars get drag tires, they just tested the new cars on street tires (he had to switch the 720S tires) for comparison purposes.

You are still hoping the 10.2 and 10.4 results are not „real“ - although they where even replicated seceral times with a 992 convertible roof down in the rain Smiley

I trust Brooks and his data (he is marketing Dragy and this thing really works well and besides that, he is using a real dragstrip) more than CarWow. Smiley

Also, again...real world data. When you have your car (if you get one), you're more than welcome to try. I haven't met a 992 Turbo S yet (we had two different dealer cars as comparison) to show the performance the CarWow factory(!) car had but I am willing to learn and be wrong. Smiley

--

the problem with carwow is that the airfield is dirty and the tarmac isnt the best. So all 4wd cars are in favor.

hunterone:

the problem with carwow is that the airfield is dirty and the tarmac isnt the best. So all 4wd cars are in favor.

This too but I do not trust their "scientific" approaches, Yianni and all. Smiley Also, Mat still drives me crazy with how he pronounces Porsche. Smiley Smiley 

--

RC:

I trust Brooks and his data (he is marketing Dragy and this thing really works well and besides that, he is using a real dragstrip) more than CarWow. Smiley

Also, again...real world data. When you have your car (if you get one), you're more than welcome to try. I haven't met a 992 Turbo S yet (we had two different dealer cars as comparison) to show the performance the CarWow factory(!) car had but I am willing to learn and be wrong. Smiley

I already did 4500km Smiley But honestly, I don't like unnecessary mechanical stress for my little cars, i.e. no use of launch control Smiley 

RC:
    hunterone:

This too but I do not trust their "scientific" approaches, Yianni and all. Smiley Also, Mat still drives me crazy with how he pronounces Porsche. Smiley Smiley 

--

You just keep up hope that Lamborghini is fastest of all Smiley

I suppose this is a joke?! I can never tell with you guys. Smiley 

Whenever you have your car (McLaren, Porsche, etc.), come over and visit me (you know where I live).

From 0-180 kph, there is no substitute. Smiley From 200 kph and on...there is the 720S. Everything in-between doesn't really matter. Smiley

Happy? Smiley

--

RC:

Whenever you have your car (McLaren, Porsche, etc.), come over and visit me (you know where I live).

From 0-180 kph, there is no substitute. Smiley From 200 kph and on...there is the 720S. Everything in-between doesn't really matter. Smiley

Happy? Smiley

--

You believe the 992 will not pass your Lambo, I see Smiley  But at least you have the great sound Smiley

MKSGR:
    RC:

Happy? Smiley

--

You believe the 992 will not pass your Lambo, I see Smiley  But at least you have the great sound Smiley

I know (two dealer cars Smiley). In no speed range was the 992 Turbo S faster, surprisingly not even in the higher speed range (we tried up to 240 kph). Maybe this was related to Sport+? Smiley

Kidding aside, just come and see for yourself. Maybe yours is in a better shape. Smiley

--

MKSGR:
    RC:

I already did 4500km Smiley But honestly, I don't like unnecessary mechanical stress for my little cars, i.e. no use of launch control Smiley 

We did a day with some driving experiences and had 100+ launches with a 991.2 turbo s. Not a single issue and the Porsche techs were very confident, so I would not hesitate to launch this car Smiley

RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

Happy? Smiley

--

I know (two dealer cars Smiley). In no speed range was the 992 Turbo S faster, surprisingly not even in the higher speed range (we tried up to 240 kph). Maybe this was related to Sport+? Smiley

Kidding aside, just come and see for yourself. Maybe yours is in a better shape. Smiley

Forget it, at higher speeds the Lambo cannot have a chance - if the 992 is driven correctly (wing position and no manual shifts etc). Approx. 4s difference... Up to 200kph there is not much difference, of course Smiley

The point is, what does it matter... A Lambo driver would never be tempted by the Turbo S and vice versa, as long as you enjoy what you drive, who cares about seconds? yes

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:

The point is, what does it matter... A Lambo driver would never be tempted by the Turbo S and vice versa, as long as you enjoy what you drive, who cares about seconds? yes

Slight correction.

From a stop, no Lambo driver will try against a 911 turbo S.

Once moving at highway speed, no Porsche driver will try to go up against a Lambo. 

Smiley

If it's wet, then well that's a whole different story.

--

McLaren Cuts Elva Production To 149 Units, Shows Off Snazzy Designs

That means the roofless, windowless Elva is still go for launch, but production has been cut yet again. What started as a planned run of 399 was reduced to 249 in April, and now it's down to just 149 total.

Etc

Like the P1, McLaren over estimate their brand power on selling cars. 

--

Did they never hear Enzo say to make one less than they think they can sell? 

Porker:

The point is, what does it matter... ? yes

You are 100% right. Even differences of some few seconds hardly make a difference. This translates into 50-100m the most. And this requires full acceleration up to 300kph... Also, if one driver hits the throttle a tiny bit earlier everything is changed again. All academic, on this level the cars are all (nearly) identical Smiley

Porker:

Correction, I think these two complement each other really well. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Porker:

You mean: you need the Porsche whenever the Lambo is with the dealer for repair Smiley

Porker:

Why? We are planning to get a 992 Turbo S Convertible (OK, my wife wants it but I support it, she trusts my experience with cars). Also, Rossi has a Turbo S (not the new one but still...). I think the Lambo is more for fun and emotional excitement and the Turbo S is a supercar for daily commutes and some relaxed driving, even on weekends. I can see both in the same garage. 

For me, seconds certainly don't matter (maybe on the Autobahn, where the 720S really gives us a hard time Smiley but we "limited" our group driving Vmax at 270 kph for various reasons, especially tire pressure) but we were discussing the 911 Turbo S performance and if you want to discuss performance, seconds count, like it or not.

My son loves Brooks and his YouTube channel (Dragtimes), I guess he also kind of admires his life in Florida, also Brooks has a very nice family (we may get the chance to meet him once the pandemic is somewhat over) and of course a very nice garage (new Ford GT, Huracan Evo, F8 Tributo and 720S, he also has the SF90 Stradale and the 765LT on order). So there is nothing wrong with seconds, even if I am not a drag strip type of guy at all. Never understood the fun in this but if my son likes it and there are some beautiful cars to see, I'm in. Smiley Smiley

--

MKSGR:
    Rossi:
    Porker:

You mean: you need the Porsche whenever the Lambo is with the dealer for repair Smiley

Actually, my Performante is very reliable (almost 13000 km now).Smiley Of course this may be related to the fact that the Huracan has been around for a while and that it has riped well, especially when it comes to reliability. The engine is really considered to be bullet proof, my mechanic knows of one engine exchange at Audi Sport(!) in Germany, funny...but only because the customer was a VIP and had complaints about the power (car had apparently slightly under 600 hp, ouch).

Oh, that damned engine light: It is on for over 2000 km now and doesn't go off, they tried everything short of exchanging the ECU. Catalytic converter errors. Car runs amazingly well (maybe because of the error? Smiley Smiley). There is one suspicion that it may be related to me using Ultimate 102 fuel (102-104 octane) but since Lamborghini said there is no issue driving the car with that light on, I do it and it runs very well.

Porsche? Had several issues, nothing major but always a bit here and a bit there. Overall, still...very reliable cars, no major issues.

Same goes to AMG, my GLC 63S just runs and runs, almost 8000 km now. E63 S AMG had some major engine stuttering issues at certain speeds and it took AMG over a year to fix that (software). Probably also related to me using higher octane fuel (according to an AMG engineer). C63S? Well, the car already had several software updates, lately one major one related to ESP safety. Still, the car has almost 40000 km (no kidding) and is otherwise trouble-free.

Even my daughters Range Rover Evoque has been trouble-free (biggest surprise Smiley), car has almost 20000 km now.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689786 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409353 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255807 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235028 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65556 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858119 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774198 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM