Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2020] Formula 1

Hamilton is one of the greatest drivers in Formula 1 and truly earned his victory today. However, at times he acts without much thought.  Today, on the podium, is another example.  This type of political commentary has no place in a sporting venue, especially an international one where U.S. participation is marginal.  This is a localized matter and many media accounts have disregarded or wrongly provided statements about it. It simply has no place on podium at Mugello.  

I agree. That political message was unnecessary.

These guys holds FIA's Super Licenses. Top ranked among FIA's multiple level of licensing. They would have know the FIA's rule book by heart. 

Yet, they don't seems to understands how to do a safety car restarts 🤦🏻‍♂️ Even me as a amateur knows no passing until the start/finish line and the car directly in front of you controls what you can or cannot do, there is no other ways around it.

This circuit is part of the Swiss Cup rotation, and those amateurs do much better job on restarts than these professionals. 

--

Dramatic race.

Disappointed Cyril Abiteboul avoided his first tattoo but good to see Albon break the podium drought.

I do not think anyone at the back was trying to overtake in contravention of the regulations, though they were at full throttle with a view to crossing the start/finish line at speed to avoid getting left behind by those in front who were also on the throttle. 

Effectively the remaining 13-14 laps post second red flag were a sprint race and as racing drivers they went for it.

"There were effectively two starts going on there and the second start met up with the first one before they accelerated," said Sky F1's Martin Brundle.

I can see exactly the same thing happening again as current regulations do not specifically prohibit the behaviour. Will be interesting to see what regulation changes are enacted. It has happened before (Brazil 2019) and it is lucky no one was injured (again) this time.

The main problem is some of the mid field cars didn’t want to get jumped by cars from behind so they slow down just before the start/finish line and leave a gap in front. 

The thinking was partially correct, but the problem is that they don’t dictate the start, Bottas does. 

--

Topspeed:

I don't think the issue is simply political. Ii might have been brought back to the forefront following the controversy in Minneapolis (and the facts are disputed)  but racism at large is a huge human, sociological problem.

Irrespective of whether or not these USA police stories are absolutely true or exaggerated we all know that there is racism and prejudice and belittlement of black people everywhere in the world which is unfair and that was the intended focus of Hamilton's message.

Why would someone like  Hamilton who is just paid to drive fast in circles, become involved? Because he is a talented guy of black roots with many fans and admirers and his stance on matters if it becomes known, it might help publicize a serious social handicap for millions of our fellow human beings..

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:
    Topspeed:

I don't think the issue is simply political. Ii might have been brought back to the forefront following the controversy in Minneapolis (and the facts are disputed)  but racism at large is a huge human, sociological problem.

Irrespective of whether or not these USA police stories are absolutely true or exaggerated we all know that there is racism and prejudice and belittlement of black people everywhere in the world which is unfair and that was the intended focus of Hamilton's message.

Why would someone like  Hamilton who is just paid to drive fast in circles, become involved? Because he is a talented guy of black roots with many fans and admirers and his stance on matters if it becomes known, it might help publicize a serious social handicap for millions of our fellow human beings..

--

Fine.  Let Hamilton be outspoken on his own time.  He was sharing the podium with two other drivers and that time is for their achievements.  It is not the time to make a political statement for something he doesn’t know much about, just like this forum is not an appropriate place for that debate either. 

CGX car nut:
    reginos:
    Topspeed:

--

Fine.  Let Hamilton be outspoken on his own time.  He was sharing the podium with two other drivers and that time is for their achievements.  It is not the time to make a political statement for something he doesn’t know much about, just like this forum is not an appropriate place for that debate either.

I concur on the last point.

--

By similar argument, a political debate is not appropriate for a Formula One race either.  You can’t selectively pick and choose one over the other: Hamilton’s actions were inappropriate at that time.  If he wants to make a political statement let him do it on his own time or was he too busy on Green’s mega-yacht to find the time?

IMO it is not a political gesture. It is a human rights protest that should find us all united.

Perhaps some Americans are sensitive about such demonstrations for various reasons but I think no one should be offended if someone highlighted racism and discrimination across much of the Western world.  It helps awareness and the need for cultural change

Remember that a serious organization like Mercedes AMG F1  have officially changed their cars' livery to all  black from silver to make a stand against racism and discrimination. So there is place for protest in sport by organizations and individuals alike.

Green's mega-yacht? Even a black guy is entitled to a taste of the good life smiley

--

I mean, Mercedes is letting him wear that shirt covering up the Mercedes livery on the podium. It was a sanctioned gesture.

But then again Hamilton is Mercedes' golden goose, of course Mercedes would do just about anything to please him.

What he is doing is not unlike NHL, NBA players are doing earlier, they are using their high profile platform to bring awareness to the issue at hand. Except Hamilton isn't an American. 

--

Whoopsy:

I mean, Mercedes is letting him wear that shirt covering up the Mercedes livery on the podium. It was a sanctioned gesture.

But then again Hamilton is Mercedes' golden goose, of course Mercedes would do just about anything to please him.

What he is doing is not unlike NHL, NBA players are doing earlier, they are using their high profile platform to bring awareness to the issue at hand. Except Hamilton isn't an American. 

I also believe it was sanctioned by Mercedes. Mercedes have painted their Silver Arrows black to make a point. And they are not American too.

--

reginos:
    Whoopsy:

I also believe it was sanctioned by Mercedes. Mercedes have painted their Silver Arrows black to make a point. And they are not American too.

Wanna bet it was to please Hamilton? Smiley

--

Mercedes, as a company with a horrific past, shouldn’t attempt anything political.  

Whoopsy:
    reginos:
    Whoopsy:

Wanna bet it was to please Hamilton? Smiley

I also thought of that myself Smiley

--

Consider the alternative for Mercedes... If Hamilton asks and corporate pushes back, optics there are difficult...

This is why politics have no place in sports.

--

Perhaps some of these 'top' drivers got mixed up with their knowledge of the rules.

On a rolling start, once the green flag dropped, the race is on and then can pass wherever they want. 

On a safety re-start, the leader can pass the safety car after the 1st safety car line, which was near the pit entry, but they cannot pass each other before the 2nd safety car line, aka the control line. Most tracks this 2nd line is the start/finish line, but not at Mugello. The Mugello track actually had the 2nd line all the way past pit exit before the first corner. So technically no one can pass anyone until entering the 1st turn, even when they have a fantastic draft. 

Track markings would have been mentioned many times during drivers' briefing, and I suspect they did a local rule and ignored the 2nd safety car line on Mugello and use the start/finish line as the 2nd safety car line as the control line for racing purposes.

I believe the F3 race earlier also had safety car restart but those juniors managed it without incident. 

--

smiley

CGX car nut:

This is why politics have no place in sports.

Frankly I agree, there’s a time and place for everything, and certainly LH has plenty of opportunity to speak his mind in other forums... Part of what most of us look for in sport is that it should be ‘above’ political issues.

Sometimes you just want a break from the news cycle. It’s like concerts, where you pay $200 a ticket to hear music, and more and frequently need to suffer the political opinions of the performer. Not what I signed up for.

JoeRockhead:

Sometimes you just want a break from the news cycle. It’s like concerts, where you pay $200 a ticket to hear music, and more and frequently need to suffer the political opinions of the performer. Not what I signed up for.

Agreed, if the performance is going to contain some political ‘lecture’ then that should be disclosed when I’m considering my ticket purchase. 

absolutely - imagine every nationality driver posts a political message for his country. LH should be starting from the end next race indecision

Is Racial discrimination politics? I think it is a panhuman justice problem that affects the whole world, not just a country.

It's not as if Hamilton or other sports people are supporting a political candidate at a national election or promote a local cause.

Why at a GP podium? Because it is a place that raises awareness given the millions of TV viewers. On GP circuits we see all sorts of advertisements from drinks to banks and telephone companies. Why someone shouldn't advertise a just cause?

And my compliments to Mercedes-AMG for having the audacity to  change the colour of the legendary Silver Arrows to black kiss

Anyway, everybody is entitled to his opinions. I think this exchange of messages has been exhausted.

--

reginos:

Is Racial discrimination politics? I think it is a panhuman justice problem that affects the whole world, not just a country.

It's not as if Hamilton or other sports people are supporting a political candidate at a national election or promote a local cause.

Why at a GP podium? Because it is a place that raises awareness given the millions of TV viewers. On GP circuits we see all sorts of advertisements from drinks to banks and telephone companies. Why someone shouldn't advertise a just cause?

And my compliments to Mercedes-AMG for having the audacity to  change the colour of the legendary Silver Arrows to black kiss

Anyway, everybody is entitled to his opinions. I think this exchange of messages has been exhausted.

Unfortunately, supposed racism has been made very much political, and is now used as a tool for political interests in the US, just look at the BLM organization.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

MotoGP makes F1 look like playing a playstation on the couch indecision

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Topspeed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcscAepViEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f-7SdgYeuk

Wow, what a difference Smiley

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM