Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tyranny of Low Mileage

Just posted up a new karenable.com blog on the Tyranny of Low Mileage.

https://karenable.com/the-tyranny-of-low-mileage/

Comments?

Re: Tyranny of Low Mileage

Fully agree with the parallel with art collectors.  I would take it further, and note that with collectible cars, it has been far easier to aquire cars that will appreciate in value, than art.  There are only a handful of makers whose cars stand a chance of going up in value, and many on this forum would easily have most of the knowledge to choose these.  In the art world, nowhere near as easy to do this, as there are many thousands of top artists, only some of which will stand the test of time, and making these investments requires extensive art historical knowledge.  So for many inclined to collect in the first place, I would argue that cars have been easy money.... and I believe most of these Car Art Collectors do want to see gains on their cars, it is not sufficient return to just gaze at them.

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

SSO.:

Just posted up a new karenable.com blog on the Tyranny of Low Mileage.

https://karenable.com/the-tyranny-of-low-mileage/

Comments?

May I ask what the price of the "higher-mileage" 288GTO was - compared to the other result? Maybe there were also other quality/originality differences between the two cars? 

While I am no expert in these beautiful vintage Ferraris I found this video on the F40 quite interesting. It also made me understand which differences (unnoticeable to "normal" people) might make a difference in terms of desirability etc.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXW7NR0xIE

4trac:

Fully agree with the parallel with art collectors.  I would take it further, and note that with collectible cars, it has been far easier to aquire cars that will appreciate in value, than art.  There are only a handful of makers whose cars stand a chance of going up in value, and many on this forum would easily have most of the knowledge to choose these.  In the art world, nowhere near as easy to do this, as there are many thousands of top artists, only some of which will stand the test of time, and making these investments requires extensive art historical knowledge.  So for many inclined to collect in the first place, I would argue that cars have been easy money.... and I believe most of these Car Art Collectors do want to see gains on their cars, it is not sufficient return to just gaze at them.

I agree. Furthermore, I actually know one collector who always tries to buy two of his favorite cars, so he drives one and the other one, he keeps in his collection. Smart (if you can afford it).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

The "high mileage" 288 GTO went for $2.3 mil at auction.  A ultra low mileage 288 GTO would be worth around $3 mil.  Don't think there were any differences in terms of originality.

I don’t get it. If your not driving it and using it as an investment wouldn’t you be better off investing the money  elsewhere? A fool’s mission.

--

A good memory is fine but the ability to forget is the one true test of greatness.

nberry:

I don’t get it. If your not driving it and using it as an investment wouldn’t you be better off investing the money  elsewhere? A fool’s mission.

This is actually a good question but maybe some people are just into collecting cars, similar to collecting art or whatever. Smiley A friend's friend (oh boy, I hate doing this Smiley) knows a guy who actually sits every weekend for hours in his garage and just looks at the cars, walks around them and so on. He hasn't driven a single one, isn't actually a big time driver at all, he only gets them transported to specific events by truck. Smiley Whats the pleasure in owning such a car if you don't drive it. At least little bit. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

SSO.:

The "high mileage" 288 GTO went for $2.3 mil at auction.  A ultra low mileage 288 GTO would be worth around $3 mil.  Don't think there were any differences in terms of originality.

Many thanks Smiley Both high prices. But the 288GTO is a lovely car Smiley

nberry:

I would also be very, very cautious. The ultra-rare cars are a different story. But even a 288GTO is not ultra-rare. Everything else might remind you of the old saying "every bubble will eventually burst" Smiley

RC:
    nberry:

This is actually a good question but maybe some people are just into collecting cars, similar to collecting art or whatever. Smiley A friend's friend (oh boy, I hate doing this Smiley) knows a guy who actually sits every weekend for hours in his garage and just looks at the cars, walks around them and so on. He hasn't driven a single one, isn't actually a big time driver at all, he only gets them transported to specific events by truck. Smiley Whats the pleasure in owning such a car if you don't drive it. At least little bit. 

Compulsive behavior operates on its own reward scheme...

nberry:

Would be the same as someone who invest in wine, red wine.

You can buy all you want but you can't drink them. 

But if you are referring to the art market, that's a very opaque and illiquid market that's also highly manipulated. Most illegal wealthh transfer happens in the art trade. 

--

lewis-hamiltons-undriven-supercar-collection

Hmm, no Porsche's???

--

A good memory is fine but the ability to forget is the one true test of greatness.

I guess not... I suspect he’ll get an EQS next year...

Very timely article. I am taking my F40 and 288 GTO out for a spin tomorrow with a friend. Every mile in them is a special event.

Older cars have their charm, and can never be taken away. Every time it is drive it is a special event.

My son asked to take the 3.6 out for a Sunday drive yesterday. First time for him.

First comment, the clutch is HEAVY. Second comment, steering is heavy. third comment, why is the shifter feels so loose and imprecise. Next up, Why can't the steering column be adjusted and why is the ergonomics so bad, every switch is not where he expects to be like in a modern car. Then it is how small the car feels, and is.

Once on the road he was asking why is the car feels like it has no power.......I told him to get above 4000 rpm. First time he did that he was like shit that's scary. Then a few times later it was like DAD! THAT WAS FUN!!!.

The car is very different than the car he drove over with, the BRZ tS.

--

Whoopsy:

Once on the road he was asking why is the car feels like it has no power.......I told him to get above 4000 rpm. First time he did that he was like shit that's scary. Then a few times later it was like DAD! THAT WAS FUN!!!.

Turbo lag has its charms - but not in the wet!

RC:
    nberry:

This is my boss's garage, if I had it I'd sit in there every week-end and just look at them too (he actually sits there every day as his office). He does drive many of them though. And yes, I've gone in there to just wander around or work for a few hours many times. 

1600118604817Page-3-Image-4.jpgPage-3-Image-8.jpgPage-3-Image-6.jpgPage-4-Image-11.jpg

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

crayphile:

Very timely article. I am taking my F40 and 288 GTO out for a spin tomorrow with a friend. Every mile in them is a special event.

Excellent and enjoy

Mithras:
    This is my boss's garage, if I had it I'd sit in there every week-end and just look at them too (he actually sits there every day as his office). He does drive many of them though. And yes, I've gone in there to just wander around or work for a few hours many times. 

Where is the F50? Hiding behind one of the others?

crayphile:
    Mithras:

Where is the F50? Hiding behind one of the others?

Yeah. He's got the 288/F40/F50/enzo/LaFe set and the 959/CGT/918 set plus a P1. 

--

Mithras:
    RC:
    nberry:

1600118604817Page-3-Image-4.jpgPage-3-Image-8.jpgPage-3-Image-6.jpgPage-4-Image-11.jpg

Interesting enough, for some people, one look at the contents of the garage and the identity of the owner is known Smiley

--

It's not much of a secret, especially for Canadian car guys. blush

--

crayphile:

That sounds like an excellent idea. These cars were made for driving Smiley 

crayphile:

Smiley Smiley Don't forget to take some pics. Smiley

--

crayphile:

BTW, do you have a clear favorite between these two in terms of driving pleasure Smiley

The new generation who are being brought up now. they don't care much about cars. They don't like to drive much, if at all,  to be attracted by cars. They also recognize that there are better forms of investment. They love gadgets which are absent from the classic and the oldtimers to make them interesting..

These kind of collections will be a thing of the past, unfortunately.

In previous generations, cars were the main object of desire after girls. Young people don't care enough about either.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

That's a real baller garage, I love it!!!

Mithras:

I would gladly sit everyday here and making my office work place. Smiley what a view! Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

True. Smiley Smiley

--

Mithras:

Was he into Sega consoles back in the 80's and 90's ? Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765031 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436995 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261287 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258128 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82718 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877292 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809498 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM