Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018)

Spa’s a great track, looks like you had a fun day, and good weather too! kiss

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

Gnil:
    gusmlt:

Never took the opportunity to post these pics. Ran the car in on the way up to Spa end of June and experienced my first track day ever. Speechless to say the least, amazing experience and realisation that I'm not even close to being capable of exploiting the true potential of this absurd machine. Being an October 2019 model, its got OPF installed and kills the low end growl which might be a turn off at slower speed however its perfectly fine on track and spirited driving. Itching for the next track day ! 

Thanks for sharing. It is a beast when it can scream all it wants at 9k rpm !!!  Dave and I were at Spa in the middle of June followed by the Ring 

Was it the RMA track day ? 

Gauss:
    gusmlt:

Never took the opportunity to post these pics. Ran the car in on the way up to Spa end of June and experienced my first track day ever. Speechless to say the least, amazing experience and realisation that I'm not even close to being capable of exploiting the true potential of this absurd machine. Being an October 2019 model, its got OPF installed and kills the low end growl which might be a turn off at slower speed however its perfectly fine on track and spirited driving. Itching for the next track day ! f62e91d2-0e32-49d0-a53b-30c563bf3d97.JPG

Mask must cover the nose Smiley

fair point ;-) 

DaveGordon:

Spa’s a great track, looks like you had a fun day, and good weather too! kiss

Unforgettable ! Lucky with weather poured at the end of the second day 

6FD83E8D-B4BA-4FBF-B487-16A9567BFCD1.jpegA day out in Zandvoort, the new track layout is stunning, 1,7g in the final , banked corner

gusmlt:
    Gnil:
    gusmlt:

Never took the opportunity to post these pics. Ran the car in on the way up to Spa end of June and experienced my first track day ever. Speechless to say the least, amazing experience and realisation that I'm not even close to being capable of exploiting the true potential of this absurd machine. Being an October 2019 model, its got OPF installed and kills the low end growl which might be a turn off at slower speed however its perfectly fine on track and spirited driving. Itching for the next track day ! 

Thanks for sharing. It is a beast when it can scream all it wants at 9k rpm !!!  Dave and I were at Spa in the middle of June followed by the Ring 

RSR track day. Which organisation did you use ? 

We were happy with RSR.... a little bit disorganized at check in, but otherwise all good. It was also the first event since Covid, so that can explain the slow check in process. 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

apollo225:

A day out in Zandvoort, the new track layout is stunning, 1,7g in the final , banked corner

Must  be fun !

--

Gnil:
    gusmlt:
    Gnil:
    gusmlt:

RSR track day. Which organisation did you use ? 

We were happy with RSR.... a little bit disorganized at check in, but otherwise all good. It was also the first event since Covid, so that can explain the slow check in process. 

These are the ones very well organised can't complain at all  https://www.rmatrackdays.com/Track-Days

No. My Macan Turbo which I sold in April was sold to Wagenwerk. My 12C got directly to McLaren Munich and then to Dörr Used Car Center at Hockenheimring.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2019-porsche-911-9912-gt3-rs-weissach-pack

Never seen a RSWP with no roll cage. I would not entertain it surprise

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

I think that one has been offered before already and didn't make reserve. The time for premiums is (luckily) behind us I think.

Regarding roll cage, if I'd spec one again, I think I'd skip it. Frees up space for dogs, luggage, ... plus it's lighter. I agree it looks cool of course.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2020 Mercedes-AMG C63 / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

throt:

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2019-porsche-911-9912-gt3-rs-weissach-pack

Never seen a RSWP with no roll cage. I would not entertain it surprise

That's the way they all come in the US Smiley

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

😁, it’s considered a dud here in the UK, even in the non RS a roll cage is very much preferable 

Not sure on the mint green either., I guessed it hitting 160k gbp.

Yes, overs are subsiding here too. Still would get my money back if I was to sell privately but it’ll be a push to get it selling to a dealer, not bothered by the values though.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

well, my local dealer has a GT3 RS with sport seats / no role cage on sale ... so, what is / was the purpose of the initial purchase ?... on the other hand, I couldn't care less, it is still an awesome looking / performing car ...

On the 991 model you can’t simply retrofit a cage, like you could on the 997. You have to drill holes in the chassis and weld in the anchorage points. 

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Gauss:

On the 991 model you can’t simply retrofit a cage, like you could on the 997. You have to drill holes in the chassis and weld in the anchorage points. 

Exactly.  For the GT3 It is a different chassis . The cars with roll cage have the Cup chassis , the others have the Carrera chassis. 

As to the RS, I am not sure there is a delete roll cage when ordering. One might have to take it off afterwards . 

--

All GT cars destined for everywhere except North American are factory provisioned for roll cages. You can either order strict from the factory or afterwards. The body in white is reinforced in the right places for roll cages.

North American cars do not have the reinforcement for roll cages, a decision made at the board level just so no one there can put a cage in their car and then have the cage failed and sue Porsche.

The simplest 'solution' is to fit a cage without reinforcement, just sort of jerry rig attachment points to the body, and in a roll over, the cage will simply punched right through the body, you might be killed are seriously injured, but the cage will be intact. 

Secondary solutions would be for 'tuners' to weld in reinforcement plates around the attachment points, but to date, none of these companies are willing to take the responsibility for the aftermath of a roll over. Their 'warranty' stopped at the point just before you are injured. 

One can blamed the lame 'unbelted occupancy' law in the DOT provision. At last count there is still 3 states in the USA that don't mandatory seatbelt for occupants. Hence 'factory' roll cages are required to be padded in the event that an unbelted occupant flew around inside the car and hit solid steel with their head. Some manufacturers, namely BMW, got around that rule by putting some Mickey Mouse foam padding on their cage. Porsche refused to do such a thing. Hence no cage for North American cars. 

This fact affects Canadian cars too, since we are under the same umbrella for 'North American' productions. Even when all of Canada required occupants to be belted. 

--

Whoopsy:

All GT cars destined for everywhere except North American are factory provisioned for roll cages. You can either order strict from the factory or afterwards. The body in white is reinforced in the right places for roll cages.

That  is not true anymore since the 991. My brother bought a GT3 991.2 that came factory without the sport club option ( no roll cage ) . He wanted to retrofit the roll cage. Answer from Porsche/Manthey  was that it is not possible as the non sport club chassis is different . It is the chassis from the Carrera without the reinforcement points. Only the club sport option (with cage from the original order )  come with the Cup reinforced chassis 

--

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

That  is not true anymore since the 991. My brother bought a GT3 991.2 that came factory without the sport club option ( no roll cage ) . He wanted to retrofit the roll cage. Answer from Porsche/Manthey  was that it is not possible as the non sport club chassis is different . It is the chassis from the Carrera without the reinforcement points. Only the club sport option (with cage from the original order )  come with the Cup reinforced chassis 

--

I never knew that, Gnil, obviously Smiley

So, it’s not just the cage that will make the car feel stiffer, it’s the actual CS chassis too?

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

Not sure about that! Bleuflame has a cage retrofitted to his GT3 Touring, I think this was done by Manthey... Smiley

As for the RS, there was an option to have the cage deleted even with the Weissach Package (EU cars).

I had a roll cage on my tuned 996 Turbo, roll cage was an original factory roll cage, installed legally. Now this would be impossible on a Turbo, there is no roll cage from Porsche for this car and I am not aware of any street legal aftermarket parts.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

throt:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

--

I never knew that, Gnil, obviously Smiley

So, it’s not just the cage that will make the car feel stiffer, it’s the actual CS chassis too?

No stiffness difference, I think  . Only the reinforcement points are different. 

--

THE_GT3:

Not sure about that! Bleuflame has a cage retrofitted to his GT3 Touring, I think this was done by Manthey... Smiley

Sure . My brother went to Manthey with his GT3 991.2 and I was there with him. They said it si possible but, you will not have the reinforced parts where the cage is mounted to the chassis. It is still possible to have that part reinforced but the cost is huge.

Chassis of the Touring is the same as the one from the GT3 non club sport and those are the same as the carrera. 

Only the club sport have the cup chassis with the reinforced roll cage mounting points.

You can check a Touring or a non club sport carpets and you will see that they are not precut on these points. 

--

Makes sense! 

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

--

Ah, so the special bodies are only for cars with the CS option now. Guess that's another place Porsche can shave some cost Smiley

--

Gnil:
    THE_GT3:

Sure . My brother went to Manthey with his GT3 991.2 and I was there with him. They said it si possible but, you will not have the reinforced parts where the cage is mounted to the chassis. It is still possible to have that part reinforced but the cost is huge.

Chassis of the Touring is the same as the one from the GT3 non club sport and those are the same as the carrera. 

Only the club sport have the cup chassis with the reinforced roll cage mounting points.

You can check a Touring or a non club sport carpets and you will see that they are not precut on these points.

991.2 with roll cage has the reinforced plate for anchorage (back and front) but if you did not selected the option, as Gnil said, it was not possible to retrofit the factory cage.  PAG would just decline the work.

991.1 was doable though.

it was possible to retrofit a cage but the work to be done is more than just a classic ''let's add the CS package''. one of my buddy ordered the cage from Manthey and installed it with the local partner.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Some of you may remember that my GT3RS (sort of) caught fire when pickup got stock between the OPF and a pressure line. 

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-01 um 14.23.02.png

I reported this to Porsche through my dealer and my team but no reply.  Matters are even worse, because pick up gets stuck in the rear of the car and will also damage the (heat) insulation.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-01 um 14.22.53.png

To fix this, I had the teflon meshes from a GT3 CUP installed in my car. They sit behind the rear wheel and protect the exhaust system from rubber / stones and such.  Here is a failed attempt to get a decent image. On first sight they fit perfectly, but when installing them, it turned out that the RS rear is slightly wider. 

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-01 um 14.27.56.png

and this is how it looks on the CUP 

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-01 um 14.17.37.png

BTW: I had the chance to drive a 991.2 CUP for two days on a race track and I'm totally blown away. This is another level compared to the RS - not only from a performance but also from a cost perspective Smiley

Cheers
    Rick

Interesting, Manthey mentioned to me they saw some damage at tye rear of my car likely caused by pickup when I asked them to investigate what sounded like a loose exhaust heat shield or something. Maybe the same thing. Interested in any more info you might have on this mod..

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

Talked to my mechanics about the installation. He had to add a couple of screws to the inner of the wheel arch ("Radhausschale") in order to fix the grid. I don't have the invoice yet, but the price of a single grid is an eye watering €1400 - one would think that they are made from gold pressed latinum. The grid is mandatory when installing the optional side mufflers ("Seitenschalldämpfer") in a CUP. Hope this helps

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690952 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410109 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256167 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235392 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65739 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858772 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775072 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM