Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The next-generation Mercedes-Benz S-Class will keep the V12 alive

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/29/mercedes-benz-s-class-v12/#slide-1340890

Mercedes-Benz announced it has extended the V12 engine's lease on life. While AMG's variant of the S-Class lost its 12-cylinder in early 2019, the Stuttgart-based company's chief executive confirmed its next flagship sedan tentatively due out in 2020 will again offer buyers a V12.

Daimler boss Ola Källenius confirmed the next S-Class will get a V12 option during a recent interview with GT Spirit. He stopped short of confirming technical details, like its displacement and its horsepower output, but the website believes the engine will be an updated version of the mighty, 6.0-liter unit currently available in the Maybach-badged S650. It makes 621 horsepower and 731 pound-feet of torque in its current state of tune, though both figures could rise for the next-generation model.

What remains to be seen is whether the regular S-Class will be available with a V12, or if the engine will be reserved for the even more luxurious Maybach model. AMG has already stated it's done peddling 12-cylinders, and it quietly introduced the S65 Final Edition to send off the engine.

Downsizing remains very much a part of the Mercedes product plan. In China, the market that justifies Maybach's continued existence, buyers have the option of skirting taxes on high-displacement engines by configuring the S-Class with a 362-horsepower straight-six engine. Källenius said it's possible Maybach's recently-unveiled variant of the GLS will get a six-cylinder, too, though the odds of seeing it in the United States are slim to none. The updated V12 that will be available in the next S-Class won't join the V8 on the GLS' palette of engine options, however.

"We have no plans for a Maybach GLS V12," he affirmed.

Re: The next-generation Mercedes-Benz S-Class will keep the V12 alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e9XatCO_aw

kiss

That doesn't appear much different that Volkswagen's augment reality systems found on its latest cars including the ID.3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03n2H_EY2zA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK8SD-Tz1dA

3D instrument cluster

Definitely following the tacked on iPad school of interior design.  That's disappointing and seems a bit short on any elegance which is befitting for an S-class.

Beyond ugly! So mainstream and cheap looking...I grew up in a country where the king used to drive a Benz...  An S class with this interior is just a shame no matter how advanced the software is

CGX car nut:

Definitely following the tacked on iPad school of interior design.  That's disappointing and seems a bit short on any elegance which is befitting for an S-class.

Never understood why car manufacturers do this crap. Even Tesla got it better. Smiley

I loved the two large display in my previous E63 S AMG but the design was a different story.

I guess it is cheaper to adapt new (display) technology with this form factor/design. I don't know. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    CGX car nut:

Never understood why car manufacturers do this crap. Even Tesla got it better. Smiley

I loved the two large display in my previous E63 S AMG but the design was a different story.

I guess it is cheaper to adapt new (display) technology with this form factor/design. I don't know. Smiley

The vast majority of S Class purchasers are older and not technologically savvy when compared with younger designers and developers.  The technology must be seamless and readily understood; however, the recent trend away from physical buttons touch screens, gestures, and voice controls, just muddy adaptation by it core base.  Luxury was once predicated on tactile delight, not flashy, gaily colored graphics.  

Photo's of the interior have been leaked along with undisguised shots of the front and rear of the car.

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 08.51.34.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 08.51.22.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 08.52.27.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 08.52.11.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 08.51.49.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 08.52.00.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-11 at 08.52.51.png

How can this be advertised as super high tech? It is just a massive screen and empty dashboard 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

We are definitely entering a new era . Tesla gave the lead and now they will all follow this trend. Starts with the S and will end with the A. Sure the other manufacturers will do the same. Much easier for them. Goes well too with cars being now more a ''safe and clean transportation vehicle'' then a driver's vehicle . These times are over.  And after that , with self driving, you won't even need the big screens anymore, just a nice empty dash board indecision

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

We are definitely entering a new era . Tesla gave the lead and now they will all follow this trend. Starts with the S and will end with the A. Sure the other manufacturers will do the same. Much easier for them. Goes well too with cars being now more a ''safe and clean transportation vehicle'' then a driver's vehicle . These times are over.  And after that , with self driving, you won't even need the big screens anymore, just a nice empty dash board indecision

What?  An era of poorly executed design?   It is doubtful that higher resolution images will improve the aesthetics of that disaster.  

The industry remains years away from fully autonomous driving systems regardless of the constant regurgitations by Musk and his numerous acolytes.  However, Mercedes driving assistant suite currently is more capable than the corresponding technologies found on Teslas.  Tesla still has yet to provide 360 degree views of its vehicles because of several large blindspots from poorly situated camera positions.  

Happens when car makers keep polling the same set of stupid 'consumer' group on what they want inside the car.

Let's see what happens to car design had they poll us here on Rennteam instead.

--

Looks dated already 😕

CGX car nut:
    Gnil:

What?  An era of poorly executed design?   It is doubtful that higher resolution images will improve the aesthetics of that disaster.  

The industry remains years away from fully autonomous driving systems regardless of the constant regurgitations by Musk and his numerous acolytes.  However, Mercedes driving assistant suite currently is more capable than the corresponding technologies found on Teslas.  Tesla still has yet to provide 360 degree views of its vehicles because of several large blindspots from poorly situated camera positions.  

You are not impressed by Tesla’s inability to show a 360 degree view and you somehow correlate this to you knowing their cameras have blind spots. Mercedes more capable of self driving?  Hmmm.  All very interesting. I can always tell when someone has zero experience with a Tesla. Just means good news is in store for you buddy!  Smiley

FYI the big display screen on any Tesla shows a 360 degree overhead view at all times. You can drag to any vantage point and the objects shown are actually recognized objects for which a ballistic calculation is made in each case to determine its path. If you prefer video and think that’s better oh well. 

As of December 2019, a Tesla Forum thread discusses the lack of a 360 degree bird’s eye view option on a Tesla but, of course, YOUR Model 3 is special.  https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/360-degree-view-parking

You are right. My Tesla model 3 is the only one with this secret overhead view. 
    I don’t want to make you look any more foolish. Please just stick to the Mercedes topic in this thread. 

Clue - it is like you just moved from a typewriter to MS Word and are complaining that Word does not give you a ribbon that can print in red or black and there is no carriage return handle. 
    take a look at the big screen on any Tesla and let me know if you see an overhead view 

In case anyone is curious about the difference is between video vs a computer understanding the surrouhttps://youtu.be/fKXztwtXaGo

do you want your car to play a video or do you want it to know the road is wet and the light is red?

ISUK:

Photo's of the interior have been leaked along with undisguised shots of the front and rear of the car.

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 08.51.34.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 08.51.22.png

Well, I don't think this new interior style looks cheap. It's a totally new approach by Mercedes and of course it's reminiscent of the Tesla architecture. But if they choose the right materials (and they will) I guess it will look and feel fine.

What I don't like on the other hand is this whole new style with screens everywhere and what we will find in all cars sooner or later unfortunately. For me that's not the right direction for a car interior, but I guess we have no choice. And the screen solution behind the steering wheel typiclal for Mercedes already in their current model is hideous of course, I much prefer the screen in a housing like all other manufacturers do.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Leawood911:

FYI the big display screen on any Tesla shows a 360 degree overhead view at all times. You can drag to any vantage point and the objects shown are actually recognized objects for which a ballistic calculation is made in each case to determine its path. If you prefer video and think that’s better oh well. 

Yes it does, but it doesn't. It only shows objects it recognizes. It's not a 360 degree camera which most new cars have.

Tbh I don't understand why you are too sensitive about some of the deficiencies of Tesla products. The most annoying thing about the model 3 is actually it's lack of a heads-up display. Still, it's one of the best cars for a daily driver.

A friend saw the car at a private presentation and the problem doesn't seem to be the interior but the exterior. Horrible, no more stance, no more S class, basically a pumped up A-class. He hated it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I was also at the sneak-preview presentation in Sindelfingen center of excellence. 

The car looks good - as always not huge design surprises. The car looks smaller than the old one. The car is 5 cm longer and has a 10 cm longer wheelbase. The car was in a new silver color - I would go for a darker color.

The interior is a kind of taste. It does not feel cheap, all materials are very well selected. For me, it was not a wow "what a beauty inside", but it was far from being horrible design. The seats are better than ever. The rear seats offer more legroom. 

You see that they have copied from Tesla, even the guy who presented me told me twice like Tesla. The large center display and the sliding door opener.

New S-class is prepared for autonomous driving - you have 4 pieces to control on the steering wheel.

What I do not like is the tons of buttons on the steering wheel. I think on both sides 7 or 8 small buttons - Who could now for what each is without looking at that. 

--

AM

AP911:
    Leawood911:

Yes it does, but it doesn't. It only shows objects it recognizes. It's not a 360 degree camera which most new cars have.

Tbh I don't understand why you are too sensitive about some of the deficiencies of Tesla products. The most annoying thing about the model 3 is actually it's lack of a heads-up display. Still, it's one of the best cars for a daily driver.

Sorry if I sounded sensitive. To me it is a can’t see trees for the forest type of issue. I do prefer the computer generated display over the video because it provides more information (measurements and audible tones, also available when driving and changing lanes etc) and I still have my eyes for reality around me. 
    Yes, heads up display would be nice but with full autonomy or even just autopilot the need for heads up info kinda goes away.  This would be a great aftermarket item. 
    One interesting Mercedes related question. Do these cars still have speedometer error or do they now use the sophisticated sensors built into the car to provide accurate speed readings? 

Rossi:

Well, I don't think this new interior style looks cheap. It's a totally new approach by Mercedes and of course it's reminiscent of the Tesla architecture. But if they choose the right materials (and they will) I guess it will look and feel fine.

I agree on that, the materials might be sufficient but what I see on more and more cars, especially on the exterior but recently also interior is the lack of coherence. There are more and more individual elements crammed together that have no relation or connection to each other. On top of that, the interior looks very “American”, maybe due to the amount of chrome and glossy elements.

Pretty sad to see this on an S-class and, with all due respect to Tesla’s achievements and impact on the industry, why does the once most significant model on the market from one of the best car makers have to take inspiration from them?  Why no genuine approach to that?

S vs E vs CLS vs CLA

Good thing the images are labeled.

That makes the 7 generations of Porsche 911 look pretty tiny in comparison devil

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I really hated the half-used-bar-of-soap looking rear.

The rear profile looks like it's melting from the sun.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688542 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408695 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234777 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65393 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4635 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857577 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773365 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM