Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Welcome to the new Taycan Forum!

Topspeed:
    Leawood911:

The next S is around the corner. You do realize that a Hermès bag is like $50k vs a really good $500 bag. Porsche wishes but they are no Hermes and you know better. Lol. This one is for you Tim. Handbag battle coupled with analogies only 1% get.

Is it?

First in line are the Semi, Cybertruck and Roadster 2.0(failed 2020 reveal, it got postponed).

Stay tuned. The new S (battery  and drivetrain refresh) will be out prior to any of those. Not certain what you base your information on. Look for it on sale by end of the year. I doubt it will look much different but you never know. 

Tesla is an electric means of transport. The automotive equivalent of an electrical domestic appliance.

The technology is good for the remit and the gimmicks might attract a techie kind of person. The styling might be characterized as safe but at the same time anything from uninspired to totally indifferent.

But why is Tesla discussed on what is supposed to be a Forum of car enthusiasts? These vehicles cannot generate any kind of passion or even a strong emotion. Someone  can recommend his washing machine once or twice but it cannot be a major topic of regular conversation and discussion!

The majority of people who buy Tesla, subconsciously emulate the dubious Mr. Musk, I think angry

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Because it is an amazingly fun car to drive. Perhaps try a model3 performance then get back to me. Why trust me?  I have driven Porsche as a daily driver for 40+ years. I am a hard core enthusiast who had put over 900k miles on 911s. 
    I really don’t get your complaint. At all. Maybe drive it and then voice the same opinion. As you can see I’m passionate to the extent that I welcome any question you may have.  Hope I answered by some enthusiasts like them. Have you heard of any owners who don’t?  Of course the outright attempts to humiliate owners for driving boring cars does help limit your information.

im not certain how you do your mind reading. Pretty cool. What exactly is dubious about Elon Musk? 
    Your comments actually make this discussion interesting. 
    Glad to help out. 

Leawood911:

Because it is an amazingly fun car to drive. Perhaps try a model3 performance then get back to me. Why trust me?  I have driven Porsche as a daily driver for 40+ years. I am a hard core enthusiast who had put over 900k miles on 911s. 
    I really don’t get your complaint. At all. Maybe drive it and then voice the same opinion. As you can see I’m passionate to the extent that I welcome any question you may have.  Hope I answered by some enthusiasts like them. Have you heard of any owners who don’t?  Of course the outright attempts to humiliate owners for driving boring cars does help limit your information.

im not certain how you do your mind reading. Pretty cool. What exactly is dubious about Elon Musk? 
    Glad to help out. 

I did and I posted about my experience in the Tesla thread.

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:

Tesla's corners is more like an Indy500 oval indecision not only that but you basically have to skip the first two years of production with Tesla until they iron out half of the quality, design and build problems like bumpers going off, rain accumulating in the doors, doors not aligning or closing right, paint thinning and rust spots, etc etc...

Model3 performance beats the Taycan 4s around a road course. 

A Civic Type-R can beat a S class around a road course too.

--

A Tesla Model 3 Performance will beat a current generation BMW M4 around some tracks too but the driving experience is completely different.  If driving involvement and experience is factored in, the M4 wins every time against that anodyne kart. 

Leawood911:

Glad to help out. 

You like your Michael Kors bag, it's perfectly fine, we are happy that you are happy with the bag. But that Michael Kors bag is not for everyone. Perhaps others want a Hermes bag? Or a LV bag? Or a Chanel bag?

One bag does not fit them all you know.

Not everyone like every features on cars. You value Autopilot very much but that may not be the case for the next guy. Do you know I try really hard to pick around one Porsche feature, the lane keep assist or whatever that name is? If a package came with that feature, I would instead not pick the package but pick everything in it individually just so I don't end up with that feature? I would rather pay more to NOT have it on my car. On my other brand cars, like Audi, Honda, VW, first thing I do before I even leave the dealer's lot is to have the salesman turn off that 'feature'. Same with the auto-brake function.

--

CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:

Glad to help out. 

I saw that. Appreciate it and I will value the fact you tried it and did not care for it. To each his own. Thanks again!!

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:

Glad to help out. 

I saw that. Appreciate it and I will value the fact you tried it and did not care for it. To each his own. Thanks again!!

I did approach it with an open mind and thought I might have enjoyed it more.  I did leave the experience disappointed.  

I’m going to assume you took it out of chill mode. 🍺

The wife and I test drove a model Y yesterday and it had chill mode set as well as creep, low regen etc. Makes for a totally different drive. 

It did have full self driving installed / activated and I forgot to give that Mad max mode a try on the highway. My car does not have navigate on autopilot. 

Thanks again for giving it a try. I really love mine. Especially for street driving where track style driving gets you arrested and silent overwhelming power without flash is key.  Always enjoy that car tremendously.  Having also the Turbo at my disposal I may he swayed by the old age of the turbo. 

It was definitely not in chill mode and it is quick off the line. However, it did exhibit a slight hesitation when accelerating at speed that I didn’t expect.  This is something I don’t experience with the sharp throttle response of a good normally aspirated engine when accelerating in gear.  Of course, there’s a lag if a downshift is required that doesn’t happen with the single speed Tesla. 

I will reiterate to what I have alluded to many times before, Tesla is a missed opportunity and if there were some real innovators and car guys there, it would greatly enhance the final product.  Think about that Model 3 with four wheel steering, heads up augmented display, and a true adaptive suspension.  Instead, Musk is fixated on scale and self-driving.  Both are very costly dreams.  

To sate Nick’s handbag fetish and to provide a bit of Tesla-related news, Fast Company has a current article on the wife of Tesla Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen and her faux leather handbag company.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90541825/how-a-former-audi-designer-is-taking-on-fashions-leather-addiction?partner=feedburner&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=feedburner+fastcompany&utm_content=feedburner&cid=eem524:524:s00:08/23/2020_fc&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=Compass&utm_campaign=eem524:524:s00:08/23/2020_fc

Faux leather handbag, as in faux car like Teslas? 

Can't resist smiley

--

MKSGR:
    Leawood911:

The next S is around the corner. You do realize that a Hermès bag is like $50k vs a really good $500 bag. Porsche wishes but they are no Hermes and you know better. Lol. This one is for you Tim. Handbag battle coupled with analogies only 1% get. 

As we are discussing Hermes I need to jump in: I feel that Porsche and Hermes and Patek Philippe are all one class of luxury goods. They look understated but are perfect Smiley They seem to address the exact same buyer class.

Porsche has nothing to do with PP or Hermes, maybe RR or Bentley. Smiley In the sports car world Ferrari, Bugatti, something like that.

P.P.S.: Tesla seems more like Volvo (or Saab, in earlier times) to me. Made for people who want to buy something "alternative" and show that they are less interested in status 

Tesla is not really like Volvo or Saab, the people buying these cars were actually boring middle class people/hippies. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    MKSGR:
    Leawood911:

As we are discussing Hermes I need to jump in: I feel that Porsche and Hermes and Patek Philippe are all one class of luxury goods. They look understated but are perfect Smiley They seem to address the exact same buyer class.

Porsche has nothing to do with PP or Hermes, maybe RR or Bentley. Smiley In the sports car world Ferrari, Bugatti, something like that.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

For approx 20 years I have been collecting Patek Philippe and am driving Porsche for approx the same period in time: Patek and Porsche are very (!) much alike. Rolls Royce or Bentley are far more outgoing, made to also impress people... Od course, a Patek can (and should) certainly be used by a Rolls Royce owner. Just the watch would be massivly understated compred to the car. While technically it is on the same level.

I am going to spec a Taycan Turbo S tomorrow. Shame that the new colour samples are not going to be available most probably.Ice Grey sounds interesting .  I think lighter colours tend to show the shape of the car off better but Dolomite Silver does not grab me. Might have to end up with resale Jet Black Metallic heart. I have seen a Volcano Grey one but it just looked dull.

crayphile:

I am going to spec a Taycan Turbo S tomorrow. Shame that the new colour samples are not going to be available most probably.Ice Grey sounds interesting .  I think lighter colours tend to show the shape of the car off better but Dolomite Silver does not grab me. Might have to end up with resale Jet Black Metallic heart. I have seen a Volcano Grey one but it just looked dull.

I also liked the Taycan in dark colors - depends on how much you like the front/front-side view I would say. Dark colors hide the contour around the head lights a bit better. Bright colors show these details Smiley

The car is excellent. Can be driven like a much smaller sports car on the track and looks very elegant on the roads Smiley

Would be interesting to hear of the buying experience is any different that with other Porsche products. I assume not, but when a company goes electric they really try hard to deliver that message. 

IMG_20200826_192505.jpg

That is awesome!!  Even better than the concept Mission E

Taycan on TechArt wheels

TechArt-Porsche-Taycan-1b-1024x555.jpg

Enmanuel:

Would be interesting to hear of the buying experience is any different that with other Porsche products. I assume not, but when a company goes electric they really try hard to deliver that message. 

So far poor - very short notice to go and confirm spec!

Why not wait? New colors and upgraded performance and goodies starting in November.

Wonderbar:

Why not wait? New colors and upgraded performance and goodies starting in November.

They are available now.

Sorry, misunderstood. Enjoy this wonderful car!

I think that I know, without exaggeration, more than 100(!) Porsche owners, I drive with a couple of them on weekends and none of them (not a single one!) had ever a PP on their wrist. Mostly Rolex (seems to be the typical Porsche driver brand), some Omegas, Breitling and the Carrera GT driver I know in my town has a huge AP collection. PP? My jeweller's brother loves PP (he isn't allowed to sell them anymore though), he drives a Ferrari and a McLaren.

Maybe it is different in your region but like I said, Porsche drivers are usually not your typical PP guys. I own one PP (Nautilus) and I love it but I don't know...not exactly my favorite brand.

My friend Roger also loves PP (he was an AP guy previously) but I guess he is the exact opposite of you. Smiley

6.bild.jpg

--

RC:

I think that I know, without exaggeration, more than 100(!) Porsche owners, I drive with a couple of them on weekends and none of them (not a single one!) had ever a PP on their wrist. Mostly Rolex (seems to be the typical Porsche driver brand), some Omegas, Breitling and the Carrera GT driver I know in my town has a huge AP collection. PP? My jeweller's brother loves PP (he isn't allowed to sell them anymore though), he drives a Ferrari and a McLaren.

Maybe it is different in your region but like I said, Porsche drivers are usually not your typical PP guys. I own one PP (Nautilus) and I love it but I don't know...not exactly my favorite brand.

My friend Roger also loves PP (he was an AP guy previously) but I guess he is the exact opposite of you. Smiley

6.bild.jpg

My point was not that Porsche buyers usually buy Patek (for most of them the watches would be beyond their budget even). I am saying that the typical Patek enthusiast will probably feel a close connection to Porsche because a Porsche has the same key qualities as a Patek. Mostly it is the best and it is understated.

With Patek enthusiast I mean serious fans and not those trend buyers that found out about Patek as a brand obly recently and that associate Patek with steel watches...

Roger has five or six PP... I guess he is a serious fan. Smiley

You know I like Porsche a lot but I think you are exaggerating a little bit. I do not see the typical PP enthusiast in a Porsche, sorry. PP is more of an elegant watch, with few exceptions. AP is exactly the other way around in my opinion. Actually, I think Rolex is more of the Porsche in the watch world, maybe also the reason why it appeals to so many Porsche drivers. Very solid brand, high quality, not exactly overpriced (if you buy at MSRP). 

If you feel close to Porsche and the brand, I get it, they make excellent products but unfortunately they do not appeal to me anymore, with one exception: The GT models. Unfortunately Porsche took away the sound (just wait and see) and the emotional part is something very important for such a car. If you track it on a regular basis, you won't be disappointed owning it but if you are using it only to cruise around, it will be getting boring fast. The 992 Turbo S and you are a different story (I guess), you would probably use the car as a daily driver and this would make sense. As a weekend fun car though, I would choose something else in your position: How about the new 765LT? Smiley Smiley

--

RC:

6.bild.jpg

Ok RC.,we’ve never met in person but you can put me down as a Porsche driver whose wears PP and Lange, but no Rolex...

crayphile:

Get the Porsche white with the white wheels and black spokes. That shows off the car styling and does distinguish it from all other EV’s. Porsche introduced the car to the car world in that color combination. 

You tend to get too cute with your car specification. Simplicity is exquisite. Smiley

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759882 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433927 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259799 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256943 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80625 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5308 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870825 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805910 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM