Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 Spare Wheel ?

Does anyone know if there is an "official" spare wheel available for the 997 (not S)? I understand that for some markets the 987 will be provided with a spare wheel so it seems to me likely that the 997 will have the same.
    Hopefully with some retaining brackets too.
    Or will the 996 spare wheel fit the 997?
    The reason I ask is that I have become increasingly nervous of driving my 997 far from home knowing that if the repair kit doesn't work I could be in serious trouble. I only have to drive 100 miles in some directions from home before cellphone coverage disappears so an irreparable puncture could mean a long walk, perhaps in the middle of a freezing cold night.

Re: 997 Spare Wheel ?

it is bizzare that Porsche would jump on the no spare bandwagon. It makes you think twice about driving the car in certain situations. How Porsche would expect their practical customers to deal this risk is hard to comprehend.

I have no strong feelings either way about the lack of a spare wheel/tire. After taking family members for a ride in the new 997S on Christmas eve, I started it on the morning of Dec 25th only to find the left rear tire low. At first I thought maybe it was low due to cold weather since it was only 8 degrees F. After feeling around the tire, I felt a piece of metal stuck in it. It was a nail that I had backed over (knew from the entry angle) while turning around in the gas station parking lot the night before. So here I was on the one day of the year where every shop is closed with no spare tire and 300 miles of driving to do in order to visit the rest of my family. I first thought I would use the tire sealant but ended up finding a tire plug repair kit at an open convenience store. I plugged the tire and it has held thus far (500 miles). The puncture was right in the center of one of the deep 'rain grooves' surrounding the tire. I noticed that the PS2s have Xtra Load stamped on the side so they must be reinforced with additional steel belts as it was extremely difficult to push the plug tool into the tire (as compared to other tires that I have done this to).
    Anyway, I thought the weight savings of no spare would be of little consequence and I had some inconvenience because of it. I should probably get a new tire now since I don't totally trust this one now.

Any thoughts on driving on a repaired tire on a 997? I have had other repaired tire last until they were worn out. The plug is deep within a groove where it does not seem like it would even touch the pavement.

Quote:
    Mark997S said:

Any thoughts on driving on a repaired tire on a 997? I have had other repaired tire last until they were worn out. The plug is deep within a groove where it does not seem like it would even touch the pavement.

do it yourself plugs are fine for temporary getting out of a jam.

Take tire to Porsche and have internal inspection done. (take to others at a your own risk). If the puncture is clean they will put an inside patch and plug in. This is necessary since hole in internal layer will allow air to chronically and slowly escape unless interally patched.

The tire loses it's speed rating.

Here's the hard part. if you're doing alot of illegal high speed driving or racing, get a new tire. If you're like the rest of us, doing 70-80 routinely and 100 occasionally for short periods in reasonable temps I bet the properly patched and inspected tire is fine.

A blowout because of the original simple puncture would not be very likely, since there'd have to be extensive belt damage that went undetected.

Also, if I had a blowout at 70-80 mph I think it would be recoverable since we pay attention to driving, are alert drivers and the car has PSM etc.

Porsche service depts in USA will patch the simple tire punctures even though Porsche recommends replacement of any punctured tire.

There's millions of patched tires in the USA, nobody's said this is too risky a thing to do.

My concern is for the punctures that cannot be fixed by the "do-it-yourself" kit. Having just experienced one on my M3 I am now acutely aware of the possibility and the hassle of carrying a spare wheel and jack around is, in my mind, worth it.
    I now consider each journey in a different light and there have already some for I have chosen an alternative car because of the possible consequences of an unfixable puncture.

I have plans to do a long distance drive this spring, but I am extremely hesitant. I am prone to getting flats and I am just not comfortable driving without a spare. Even a donut would be better then a repair kit. I just don't understand why the bean counters took away the spare tire?

Porsche get some run flats or put a spare in our usable daily driven and long distance touring practical sports car!

Spare wheel

Spare is gone because it saves weight so makes the car perform better for promotional purposes. More trunk space to brag about. Greater profits for Porsche.

I don't like it because it might make the car less safe in a collision. Spares absorb crash energy.

Guessing that a narrower spare will never be available because of legal issues related to the fact that there's no way to secure it to the car.

There was some talk about a Boxster spare available in Europe as an option that might fit 997.

I hear you can't use 996 spares because of size difference will wreck car's drivetrain?

One possible solution is to buy narrower spare tire (like BMWs have for 19 inch wheeled cars), get a Porsche wheel of proper diameter for narrow tire AND fits over the 997 brake and suspension components, cut and reweld the width to fit the narrower spare. Sounds like a good business opportunity.

Re: Spare wheel

If you get a spare, what will you do with the flat tire? It will not fit in the trunk. Do you leave your passenger behind while you go get it repaired? And will a rear (remember very wide rear) tire actually fit in the passenger seat? And if you do manage to put it inside the passenger compartment, will the inside ever be the same again? I guess you could put it on the roof but imagine all those nice new dents that will appear.

For me, if the can won't fix the problem, then I will wait for Porsche/AAA roadside service.

Re: Spare wheel -- roof rack

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    If you get a spare, what will you do with the flat tire? ... I guess you could put it on the roof ...

That is not a bad idea. PAG should include in the car the roof rack (or a collapsible form thereof) and a couple of fasteners.

Imagine having a tire problem that cannot be solved with the "can" at 2am, miles from anywhere, out of cellphone range and it is freezing cold.
    I would rather ditch the original wheel (the tire is scrap anyway)and keep mobile.

Re: Spare wheel -- roof rack

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    vtrader said:
    If you get a spare, what will you do with the flat tire? ... I guess you could put it on the roof ...

That is not a bad idea. PAG should include in the car the roof rack (or a collapsible form thereof) and a couple of fasteners.

I wonder if the accessory Tequipment roof rack can be stowed out of the way in the trunk ready to use if needed for spare or an airport arrival with too much extra luggage .

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I don't like it because it might make the car less safe in a collision. Spares absorb crash energy.

Be careful about your assumptions.

Wheels are actually very stiff, even if the mounted tires are not. The wheel may actually cause a transfer of force deeper into the car. And, it might prevent a more beneficial crush of the surrounding structure by offering unproductive local reinforcement.

My dad got a flat not long after he received the car. This was in the evening so he got can out. The puncture was a tear on the sidewall but the foam held, got him back home then sat in the garage for a couple of days. After a bit of a pump up it got him up to the dealer (which is a fair distance)to get the new tyre fitted. He was quite impressed I think that it actually worked. Anyone else actually USED the foam yet?

I haven't used the foam in my 997 yet (thank goodness) but I have used the BMW equivalent on my M3.
    Unfortunately it didn't work and that is why I initiated this thread. I had to abandon the BMW overnight. Fortunately I was only six or seven miles from home and only a few yards from an all-night gas station that let me park the car there in relative safety. If I had left it elsewhere in that neighbourhood I might not have had any wheels at all by next morning.
    I have no reason to think that the BMW foam solution is materially any different to that on the Porsche.
    There is now a spare wheel and jack in the trunk of my M3.

Spare wheel

From the Boxster Product info Brochure:

A 17-inch spare wheel with a size of 185/60 is used in countries where the legislation generally stipulates the provision of a spare wheel (e.g. Brazil, Israel, Saudi Arabia and Virgin Islands).

I wonder if the same applies with the 997..??

Anyone from the above mentioned countries here on the board that can enlighten us??

Quote:
    Trundle996 said:

Anyone from the above mentioned countries here on the board that can enlighten us??

Anyone from Porsche have an answer to this question? Has anybody asked anybody official at Porsche and gotten an answer?

any update on the spare wheel situation people?

Quote:
    Nilesh said:

Nothing. The "miracle goop" really has people totally converted/brainwashed. In my travels I must have asked five different dealerships across the USA and nobody knows anything! You'd figure there'd be some Porsche buyers who would *demand* an answer to this question. At least you'd expect the dealerships to have a frickin' answer! As far as I can tell, nobody knows anything.

Just a matter of time though before somehow a space saver spare becomes available..

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Nilesh said:

Nothing. The "miracle goop" really has people totally converted/brainwashed. In my travels I must have asked five different dealerships across the USA and nobody knows anything! You'd figure there'd be some Porsche buyers who would *demand* an answer to this question. At least you'd expect the dealerships to have a frickin' answer! As far as I can tell, nobody knows anything.

Just a matter of time though before somehow a space saver spare becomes available..

SO what are you going to do with the flat tire?

Quote:
    FelixC said:

SO what are you going to do with the flat tire?

A few ideas:

Hopefully the Porsche roof rack will remained stowed in the car without taking up too much space.

perhaps the flat will fit in the back seats.

If it fits in the front trunk that would be great.

Call roadside assist and have them "tow" just the tire to the nearest Porsche dealer.

Sound like alot of trouble? Not if you travel on isolated roads where there's spotty cell phone coverage. Also some people insist they have a chance to get themselves out of trouble and not wait helplessly for outside aid to arrive. Sometimes messing up your whole day (meetings, apts, preferences) isn't worth it just because of a flat goop won't fix.

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?T1=PK11&src=21TL002

Yes, OCEAN, definitely. Hopefully Porsche did not eliminate the jack points on the underbody of the 997 so a 996 jack can be used (perhaps there's even a 997 jack available).

you mean it doesnt come with a jack?! i paid Pounds65,000 for a car with no spare tyre and no JACK?!! we must all be nuts.

i heard rumours that the boxer space saver would fit?

Quote:
    Nilesh said:
    you mean it doesnt come with a jack?! i paid Pounds65,000 for a car with no spare tyre and no JACK?!! we must all be nuts.

i heard rumours that the boxer space saver would fit?

No jack no lug wrench. Just like the BMW M3, I bet.

If that Boxster spare works our problems are solved, eh..., for a mere..., what..., $1500 (us)? Something five times more than you think is fair.

my M3 came with a powered jack... and lots of tire sealant

Found this on Rennlist. Check out post #13.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=184791

Dave

I am sure that it would sit happily on the passenger seat.
    If I had a pasenger then he or she would have to try out the back seats.
    It is better than walking.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689432 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409135 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255702 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234967 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65517 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857916 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773955 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM