Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Sport Auto: Audi R8 V10 RWD vs Chevy Corvette C8 vs Porsche 911 Carrera S

Engine: V10 N/a / V8 N/a / F6-Turbo

Power: 540 PS / 502 PS / 450 PS

Transmission: DKG-7 / DKG-8 / DKG-8

Acceleration:

0-40: 1,6 / 1,6 / 1,2
    0-100: 3,9 / 3,8 / 3,5
    0-160: 7,7 / 8,3 / 7,8
    0-200: 11,6 / 13,9 / 12,5

Braking: CC (380mm/356mm) / Steel (345mm/350mm) / CC (410mm/390mm)

100-0(Cold): 34,9 m / 36,9 m / 31,9 m
    100-0(Warm): 33,3 m / 36,0 m / 32,1 m
    200-0: 128,7 m / 140,6 m / 122,5 m

HHR Lap Time:

Audi - 1.54,2 (257 km/h)
    Chevrolet - 1.54,6 (242 km/h)
    Porsche - 1.53,5 (248 km/h)

Weight: 1,649 kg / 1,665 kg / 1,574 kg

Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 A0 / Michelin Pilot Sport 4S / Pirelli P Zero NA1

Price as tested: 174,283 € / 99,000 € / 155,203 €

Re: Sport Auto: Audi R8 V10 RWD vs Chevy Corvette C8 vs Porsche 911 Carrera S

The new Audi R8 V10 RWD is a joke for the price they're asking.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

Why do you say that when it is only a handful of mid-engined sports cars available with a normally aspired V10?  There's more to a car than pure lap times and you know it.  When you owned an Audi R8 you often spoke glowingly of its attributes.  When you moved to a Lamborghini Huracan Performante, which has much commonality with the Audi R8,  your viewpoint changed significantly.  There's not that much difference between the two cars.  

CGX car nut:
      When you moved to a Lamborghini Huracan Performante, which has much commonality with the Audi R8,  your viewpoint changed significantly.  There's not that much difference between the two cars.  

how dare you? Smiley

there is no difference under the skin apart from rock solid seats on the fancy ''in your face'' lambo Smiley

But RC is RC...best of the best today till the next one Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

But RC is RC...best of the best today till the next one Smiley

Smiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

The R8 has already succumbed to the dreaded GPF...

CGX car nut:
    RC:

Why do you say that when it is only a handful of mid-engined sports cars available with a normally aspired V10?  There's more to a car than pure lap times and you know it.  When you owned an Audi R8 you often spoke glowingly of its attributes.  When you moved to a Lamborghini Huracan Performante, which has much commonality with the Audi R8,  your viewpoint changed significantly.  There's not that much difference between the two cars.  

Seriously? Smiley The Performante has around 40(!)% different parts than the standard Huracan AWD (I cannot say much about the Evo, I don't have the information) and around 75(!)% different parts than the Audi R8 Plus. 

The old Audi R8 RWS was really a nice offer, many were leased out for ridiculous low sums (999 EUR per month offers, without initial payment) or sold with very high discounts. Limited production (under 1000), so an interesting offer. The new R8 RWD has a particulate filter, sounds like crap above 4000 rpm and it drives (according to two people who have driven the car already) worse than the old one. Also, Audi doesn't seem to have good lease rates or high discounts this time. So why would someone want to get it? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

mcdelaug:

The R8 has already succumbed to the dreaded GPF...

Yep and you can hear it. Unfortunately. Up to 4000 rpm, the sound is OK (not great though) but above, the sound is still the V10 sound but much quieter. Also the tone is deeper. Even the previous AWD model sounded way better, the older RWS model is almost as loud as the Performante, the only modern German car I know with 100 dB exhaust sound certified in the car documents.

--

RC:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:

Seriously? Smiley The Performante has around 40(!)% different parts than the standard Huracan AWD (I cannot say much about the Evo, I don't have the information) and around 75(!)% different parts than the Audi R8 Plus. 

The old Audi R8 RWS was really a nice offer, many were leased out for ridiculous low sums (999 EUR per month offers, without initial payment) or sold with very high discounts. Limited production (under 1000), so an interesting offer. The new R8 RWD has a particulate filter, sounds like crap above 4000 rpm and it drives (according to two people who have driven the car already) worse than the old one. Also, Audi doesn't seem to have good lease rates or high discounts this time. So why would someone want to get it? Smiley

Laugh away but how many of those parts are cosmetic versus powertrain, structural, and suspension related.  Fundamentally there is much commonality of key, expensive to develop, components between the R8 and Hurracan.  For example, the lovely V10 engine found in your 75% different parts car is built in the Audi facility in Györ, Hungary and was built on the very same production line as the R8 prime mover.  Everything except for a few valve train differences and software are equivalent.  The same sameness is found with the DSG transmission and suspension components which only differ in damper tuning and bushing compliance.  

Next up is the sameness of the cars' electronics architecture.  The basic platform structure is the same too. So where's the 75% difference?  It is found in  body panels, aero devices, and interior trim pieces.  Even the IP module is produced on the same line.  

Among certain social circles the discussion of affordable lease or financing rates connotes a certain posuer element.  

the Huracan is the Audi R8 in disguise. There is only RC now convinced about something different. they started with the Gallardo. the V10 has always been an Audi engine.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

I am really surprised that some of you know so little about the R8 and the Huracan Performante. Smiley

I have to disappoint you: According to the car's technical manual for sales persons, the engine has over 100 different parts vs. the normal V10 engine. Of course some of the parts could be screws and seals only but still... 

Then, there is assembly of the V10: Only crankcase and cylinder block are built in Györ, the engines are fully assembled in Italy. Only the Audi V10 engines are assembled in Györ.

Gearbox is also not the same, the Performante gearbox received some extra cooling and some enforced parts (I have no details on this one though).

ALA...weight reductions...chassis components (incl. shocks and dampers) are completely different from regular Huracan, only brake system is the same. Then there is the forged carbon interior which wasn't available for the regular Huracan, also the forged carbon parts, exhaust system, intake system and many other parts. 

Where the 75% difference is vs. Audi? Well: basically all outside body parts (I think front hood and doors are similar or the same), chassis, engine (partially), exhaust/intake system and so on. Weight difference between Audi R8 Plus and Performante is around 75-100 kg, depending on options. Also the R8 V10 Plus has a front axle cooling system.

I know that many people underestimate the Performante but it was/is a really special car from Lamborghini, they were only dumb enough not to make it a limited series because in total, not more than around 1700 cars (Coupes and Spyders) were made. Maybe they expected to sell more, maybe they didn't want to take the SVJ's thunder, I don't know.

The Huracan Performante is not the Huracan, this is like comparing a GT3 to the Carrera S. Smiley

--

Fact is, it doesn‘t need to be 75% difference or whatsover, with today‘s possibilities in tuning a car, with all that technology involved, you can basically have two different cars though they share most parts in common. Take a look at the 458, then compare it to a Speciale. Or a 488 compared to a Pista. Basically these two couples are the same cars, but they differ dramatically when you drive them. With a little bit of this here and a little bit of that there, together with a mild increase in power, which is even easier to achieve with today‘s turbocharged engines, you can offer that certain specialness in the special versions, that is not inherent in the base model.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

Fact is, it doesn‘t need to be 75% difference or whatsover, with today‘s possibilities in tuning a car, with all that technology involved, you can basically have two different cars though they share most parts in common. Take a look at the 458, then compare it to a Speciale. Or a 488 compared to a Pista. Basically these two couples are the same cars, but they differ dramatically when you drive them. With a little bit of this here and a little bit of that there, together with a mild increase in power, which is even easier to achieve with today‘s turbocharged engines, you can offer that certain specialness in the special versions, that is not inherent in the base model.

Very true but reality is, it is different. Maybe here lies Lamborghini's marketing mistake of the Performante, they should have gone into details (not only ALA and a few horses more) and make the car limited. Instead, they marketed it as...the Performante. Many people don't know the difference vs. the Huracan. 

When people ask me what car I drive and I tell them a Performante, they look at me surprised and do not understand. Huracan? They understand but when I add Performante to Huracan, they look at me and ask "what is a Performante"? Everyone knows the Huracan, the Huracan Performante is a different story. 

Before I ordered the car, I didn't know much about the Performante either, I knew it is a sporty version of the Huracan and we all know that the Huracan is basically the R8 from Lamborghini, just with a different body and a few differences in setups/software and exhaust system. Still...40% difference is a lot in my opinion.

Then, I started to get into details (you remember that we talked about them) and soon I found out stuff I didn't expect. 

The biggest surprise was actually that Lamborghini assembles their engines themselves. I always thought this is done in Györ with the R8 engines together. I also had a different surprise: I learned that the Huracan structure (body shell, not sure how to say this correctly in English) is pre-assembled in Germany, together with it's R8 counterpart and then shipped to Italy. Weird.

--

Oh, another interesting fun fact: While the Performante and the Evo exhausts look the same and engines are supposed to be the same too (they have different parts numbers though, which is strange according to my mechanic), the whole exhaust system and the intake system of both cars are completely(!) different. Nothing in common.

--

RC:

Oh, another interesting fun fact: While the Performante and the Evo exhausts look the same and engines are supposed to be the same too (they have different parts numbers though, which is strange according to my mechanic), the whole exhaust system and the intake system of both cars are completely(!) different. Nothing in common.

So what is exactly the difference in the exhaust system of the Evo compared to the Performante? Smiley

Basically they look the same, with exception of the tips maybe, which seem to protrude a bit more on the Evo.
    And all reports and tests of the Evo also say it shares the same exhaust with the Performante? Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

Rossi:
    RC:

So what is exactly the difference in the exhaust system of the Evo compared to the Performante? Smiley

Basically they look the same, with exception of the tips maybe, which seem to protrude a bit more on the Evo.
    And all reports and tests of the Evo also say it shares the same exhaust with the Performante? Smiley

All I can say is that all parts are different. The reports are false. The Performante exhaust is also much lighter than the Evo exhaust, I think 11 or 12 kg difference, I don't remember. 

Here's another fun fact: The Evo exhaust is ready for a GPF... Smiley

--

Hmm, I still cannot fully believe, that the Performante should be so really special and not more of a parts-bin-special like all the others do.

Even more so as you seem to indicate, that it is not even special compared to the Huracan LP610/4, but also compared to the new Evo AWD. I always thought at least the new Evo and the Performante share many parts (engine, exhaust etc.). Some even say the Evo is a Performante with a more modern technology (rear-wheel steering, LDVI)?

--

Rossi:

Hmm, I still cannot fully believe, that the Performante should be so really special and not more of a parts-bin-special like all the others do.

Even more so as you seem to indicate, that it is not even special compared to the Huracan LP610/4, but also compared to the new Evo AWD. I always thought at least the new Evo and the Performante share many parts (engine, exhaust etc.). Some even say the Evo is a Performante with a more modern technology (rear-wheel steering, LDVI)?

“The Evo is a Performante with more modern technology“

Watch it. Soon you will be banned Smiley

--

Rossi:

I was quite surprised as well because I knew the Huracan (and of course even better the R8 V10 Plus Smiley). Actually, I heard that the Performante was supposed to be even more special, with more weight reductions and some improvements for the track but dealers were afraid the car gets too expensive, they didn't see a market for a +300k Huracan, so... The dealers may also have been the reason why the the Performante was no limited edition car. They were afraid that it may take sales away from the upcoming SVJ and of course the standard Aventador S.

No. The Evo is a facelifted Huracan. Have you seen the track results in many publications? Have you driven the Evo? Even in Corsa mode, it isn't even close to the Performante. Of course no dealer will tell you that, they want to sell Evos, not (used) Performante. Smiley

The new Evo RWD is a result of dealers in Canada(!) demanding a cheaper Evo. In Germany, the previous 2WD version of the Huracan sold very badly, same goes to the limited edition Audi R8 RWS (they were barely able to sell these cars, they had to offer incentives like 999 EUR per month without initial payment leases). The facelifted R8 RWS is not even limited anymore I think. Smiley

--

bluelines:
    Rossi:

“The Evo is a Performante with more modern technology“

Watch it. Soon you will be banned Smiley

Don't worry about Rossi... Smiley

--

RC:

No. The Evo is a facelifted Huracan. Have you seen the track results in many publications? Have you driven the Evo? Even in Corsa mode, it isn't even close to the Performante. Of course no dealer will tell you that, they want to sell Evos, not (used) Performante. Smiley

Put the same tyres as your car and some magic will be done...

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

It is probably faster then. And more modern Smiley

--

the-missile:
    RC:

Well, on the Performante you had the choice between the Trofeo and the Corsa, RC drives the latter AFAIK.

--

the-missile:
    RC:

I have the PZero Corsa and the first Evos were delived on Corsas as well (now I think with the regular the PZero).

Almost all reviews I've read were done with the Trofeo R, same for the Performante and Evo.

The Evo has been slower in most reviews on the same tires and people who own the Evo and had a Performante before, say that the Evo feels less like a go-kart and they miss this feeling. Keep in mind that the Evo has the rear axle steering and other sophisticated driving electronics.

I was very surprised when I drove the Evo for the very first time. It felt pretty comfortable and even in Corsa mode, all those noises from the Performante were completely missing. With one exception: The exhaust sound. It sounds almost(!) as loud as the Performante but at higher revs, the sound gets deeper, while the Performante is screaming more. The first one who noticed this was GerCollector who drove the new Evo in Bahrain during the press presentation. I wasn't sure about his claim since everyone was saying "same sound", until I drove the Evo at an event in Germany, again with GerCollector present...and a Lambo factory driver (Johnny Cecotto's son).

ALA does some magic here of course because on straights, the Performante is always faster because of the missing downforce and in curves, the Performante is also faster because it produces additional down force. There are other reasons for this as well too though, the steering setup is different, even the gearbox setup. Since the Evo is the Huracan facelift, they couldn't compromise too much comfort. Not every Evo driver wants a race car. Smiley

--

RC: There are other reasons for this as well too though, the steering setup is different, even the gearbox setup. Since the Evo is the Huracan facelift, they couldn't compromise too much comfort. Not every Evo driver wants a race car. Smiley

Apart from ALA which must bring insignificant advantage at low speed and few dozen kg at high speed, I would be very surprised to see that on same tyres they don't deliver the same perf. Heck, with RWS the EVO should be faster with proper tyres.

they have same power, same torque, same 0-100km/h same max speed...and only 40kg difference. 1480vs1520kg Performante is 15K more expensive anyway so you have to justify the 40kg less Smiley

Lambo is VW group and every new release takes benefit from the previous one...nothing new. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC: There are other reasons for this as well too though, the steering setup is different, even the gearbox setup. Since the Evo is the Huracan facelift, they couldn't compromise too much comfort. Not every Evo driver wants a race car. Smiley

Apart from ALA which must bring insignificant advantage at low speed and few dozen kg at high speed, I would be very surprised to see that on same tyres they don't deliver the same perf. Heck, with RWS the EVO should be faster with proper tyres.

they have same power, same torque, same 0-100km/h same max speed...and only 40kg difference. 1480vs1520kg Performante is 15K more expensive anyway so you have to justify the 40kg less Smiley

Lambo is VW group and every new release takes benefit from the previous one...nothing new. Smiley

I give up since some of you apparently can't read. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:

I can read but we need to be realistic on marketing magic they want people to adhere to.

Put the same spec tyres on these 2 cars and they will perform basically the same...

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

I can read but we need to be realistic on marketing magic they want people to adhere to.

Put the same spec tyres on these 2 cars and they will perform basically the same...

I described the differences and no, they do not perform basically the same. The differences are substantial and please note that the Evo has the more sophisticated AWD/TC system and rear wheel steering. Still, the Performance is faster on the track (same tires) and even faster in straight line performance. Smiley

The Huracan Evo did the Sachsenring in 1:30,94 (AutoBILD SportsCars).

Here are the values for the Performante (also AutoBILD SportsCars) and other cars.

Same tires, Trofeo R (L).

2020-08-18_12-52-01.jpg

--

RC:

I described the differences and no, they do not perform basically the same. The differences are substantial and please note that the Evo has the more sophisticated AWD/TC system and rear wheel steering. Still, the Performance is faster on the track (same tires) and even faster in straight line performance. Smiley

The Huracan Evo did the Sachsenring in 1:30,94 (AutoBILD SportsCars).

Here are the values for the Performante (also AutoBILD SportsCars) and other cars.

Same tires, Trofeo R (L).

Same day, same driver, same conditions and with the same tyres and let's try to redo the test...you would be surprise. Lambo advertise them at same power same 0-100 same 0-200 so they basically accelerate the same.

Comparing performance on a different day with different driver is not realistic.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Oh boy...you really want to push my buttons. Smiley

The Performante was the Huracan before the Evo and the Evo costs, with a few options, as much as a Performante. Actually, most of the cars my dealer sold were around 2-3k EUR more expensive than my Performante and I basically ordered everything available, with the exception of a special color.

Now start to think logical: If Lamborghini would advertise worse performance numbers for the Evo, would someone want to buy it? When I ordered my Performante, I could have ordered an Evo as well, the order books were already open.

When a friend drove the Evo in Bahrain, he knew already that the Evo is no (emotional) match for the Performante. The instructors there claimed that the Evo sounds the same. I doesn't. They claimed that the Evo feels like a Performante, just more comfortable but when he switched to Corsa, it lacked all those crackling, rattling, etc. sounds the Performante creates and on the track, the Evo was a bit too soft and less direct for his taste.

Then, there was an event in Austria where many Huracan but also Performante owners were invited. One of the guys invited was my foil guy, who owns a Performante. He told me that the Evo disappointed vs. the Performante.

I then had the chance to drive the Evo together with GerCollector and Johnny Cecotto's son at an event in Bavaria. Very comfortable and nice car but not even close (drive feel) to the Performante (go-kart feel). I was quite relieved that I made the right choice with the Performante because when I ordered it, the dealer gave me a choice.

Long story short (and no, I won't explain anything anymore because I slightly get the feeling that this is some sort of fun you guys try to have and I won't do this dance anymore, just because I take this serious and you don't): There is a big difference between both cars, a difference which you can only know if you have access to the full technical data (similar to the Handbuch Technik at Porsche, not intended for the public or customers) and if you drove them both in comparison. Case closed (for me).

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752776 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430436 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258452 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255387 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868036 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801631 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM