Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ferrari Roma

Whoopsy:

Looks like a bastard from a Vantage and a AMG GT AND taking the worse attributes of both cars.

The front looks incredibly ugly, cannot imagine a more ugly front end. The rear also looks very bad, like an eye sore.

3/4 view is atrocious, side view is meh.

The front looks like a mix of Aston Martin and Volvo Smiley

The rear I like a lot.

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Looks like an Italian version of the Jaguar F.

Still better looking than the Portofino and minus the funny roof that spoils the shape.

You get a share of the Ferrari bling for around €200.000 which is more affordable to more people with Ferrari aspirations.

For this kind of money give me the imperious Porsche Turbo and keep the Ferrari dazzle.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

That's the second time Ferrari have appropriated a beautiful Maserati design and the end result has been nowhere near as attractive. To think this car came out of the still born Alfieri which was a much better executed design that took inspiration from the rounded shapes of the 60's and added modern elements more successfully.

1596884892677Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 12.02.52.png

I have mixed feeling about this car. I want it but I am not sure I would get it over a 992 turbo s for example. V different I know. But same price. Seem v color sensitive. I would need to see it in person. 

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

I believe Ferrari has extended itself too far with this joke of a car. Which market segment are they after? If they are trying to attract first time buyer’s of Ferrari who hope to have a foot up on their more limited production models, good luck. It’ll never happen soon. When I was in the Ferrari “program” I knew of several people who bought used Ferrari’s from the dealer in the hope of getting their mid engine model. They waited years.

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

nberry:

I believe Ferrari has extended itself too far with this joke of a car. Which market segment are they after? If they are trying to attract first time buyer’s of Ferrari who hope to have a foot up on their more limited production models, good luck. It’ll never happen soon. When I was in the Ferrari “program” I knew of several people who bought used Ferrari’s from the dealer in the hope of getting their mid engine model. They waited years.

that era is going to change faster than you can imagine. they are all slowing down and we are not even started from the real financial disaster. Here, GT3RS are roasting on dealership floors...no mark-up, delivery miles, you can even manage a discount... Ferrari tried to play it smart in a free economy. There was a market for anything until COVID kicked off. now it is different story.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Boy, tough crowd here... for years Ferrari is accused of tasteless excess in their styling, and now they  do something    much closer to simple elegance... and the styling is seen as derivative.  For sure the Roma is not for the poser crowd, but I think there is a market for cleaner more timeless design.... of course it could be too that Ferrari need to add new models to achieve production growth and satisfy shareholders.

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

the-missile:
    nberry:

that era is going to change faster than you can imagine. they are all slowing down and we are not even started from the real financial disaster. Here, GT3RS are roasting on dealership floors...no mark-up, delivery miles, you can even manage a discount... Ferrari tried to play it smart in a free economy. There was a market for anything until COVID kicked off. now it is different story.

I think you and Nick are both right. The Roma was planned and was being built for a pre-Covid world, and in the US the dealers want you to enter “the program” as Nick calls it. But I think the-missile has it right going forward, the demand for an oddly designed entry level car as the launch point for new customers getting on “the program” doesn’t make sense... 

Whoopsy:

Looks like a bastard from a Vantage and a AMG GT AND taking the worse attributes of both cars.

The front looks incredibly ugly, cannot imagine a more ugly front end. The rear also looks very bad, like an eye sore.

3/4 view is atrocious, side view is meh.

I really don't get this one.  Aston Martin can't sell Astons these days so why does Ferrari think they can make an Aston and it will sell better?

+1

I would probably see this car in a better light if it had an Aston badge, but doesn't fit the Ferrari ”identity” so it looks wrong, and being an entry level Ferrari doesn't help either.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

I might be in a stark minority here, but I like the design of the Roma yes

Carlos from Spain:

+1

I would probably see this car in a better light if it had an Aston badge, but doesn't fit the Ferrari ”identity” so it looks wrong, and being an entry level Ferrari doesn't help either.

To me, that is one of the advantages Ferrari have - they have never subscribed to the Russian dolls theory of "brand" design like so many others, they allow their various lines - mid engine vs front engine V12, etc, to have different visual personalities.  There is never any single Ferrari visual identity, and this has been true historically too.  IMO this Roma will appeal to people who may like the history and status of the brand, but do not see themselves in the majority of recent Ferraris, which have had increasingly dramatic, almost flashy, styling.  It will be the Ferrari you do not order in Rosso Corsa....  Smiley    

--

Roma is not supposed to be a car for the weekend but a usable everyday everywhere GT car. For a fraction of the cost someone could buy something like a BMW M850i which will do the job in a more reliable and robust way if someone wants to do some thousands km per year.

Besides the BMW looks the masculine car whereas the ROMA style is very effeminate. Probably the rich man's gf is the target market cheeky

Comparing a BMW to a Ferrari? Why not? If you remove these very expensive brands from the exotic circle and into the real world the comparison with premium cars with top functionality and technology will be inevitable. Also the matter of cost will come into play.

Apparently Ferrari need to produce more cars in an effort to create value for their shareholders and they are running out of ideas.

--

Enmanuel:

Agree, have yet to see one in the flesh though.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:
    Enmanuel:

Agree, have yet to see one in the flesh though.

Exactly. This is one of those designs you need to see in person, not on photos. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

reginos:

Roma is not supposed to be a car for the weekend but a usable everyday everywhere GT car. For a fraction of the cost someone could buy something like a BMW M850i which will do the job in a more reliable and robust way if someone wants to do some thousands km per year.

Besides the BMW looks the masculine car whereas the ROMA style is very effeminate. Probably the rich man's gf is the target market cheeky

Comparing a BMW to a Ferrari? Why not? If you remove these very expensive brands from the exotic circle and into the real world the comparison with premium cars with top functionality and technology will be inevitable. Also the matter of cost will come into play.

Apparently Ferrari need to produce more cars in an effort to create value for their shareholders and they are running out of ideas.

--

The prettiest modern Ferrari to my eye is the coachbuilt Touring Superleggera. It's certainly feminine but breathtaking. The 275GTB was feminine, many of the older Ferraris are. It's only since the Testarossa that Ferrari went in a more muscular, masculine way and even then there were cars like the 612. I don't love the Roma but I understand it. I also think it looks like a love child of a F-Type (Itself a child of the Aston family) and an Alfa 8C. It's certainly not ugly but it's derivative. 

Also here's the Touring because you can never look at it enough. 2015-touring-superleggera-10_800x0w.jpg

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

indecision

Mithras:

Also here's the Touring because you can never look at it enough. 2015-touring-superleggera-10_800x0w.jpg

Is that going to be on sale one day? looks beautiful Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

He just ruined the Roma for me... Could he at least please put some real pants on. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

He just ruined the Roma for me... Could he at least please put some real pants on. Smiley Smiley

You did not order his limited edition sunglasses then? Smiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Rory’s very solid review of the Roma.  The lineage with the Daytona in design comes across strongly.  https://youtu.be/xv16ZVsgIWU

CGX car nut:

Rory’s very solid review of the Roma.  The lineage with the Daytona in design comes across strongly.  https://youtu.be/xv16ZVsgIWU

Hmm... something that has been present in basically every Ferrari is their appearance of speed (looking fast even stationary). I just don´t see that on the Roma, with very few exceptions (Daytona being one of them) the front-engined cars had a short frontal and long rear overhang, the mid-engined cars long front and short rear overhang. On the Roma, both front and rear overhangs look fairly equal in length but apart from the front, to a certain extend, this car doesn't look fast and dynamic to me. Not even in this video. 

Something that I personally have a huge issue with is the front grill, it looks unfinished and out of place to me since the first pictures I saw of the car. 

Other than that, I like that they consider new use cases and target groups for the brand and that Roma is still a better approach than building a Ferrari SUV. Thanks for that...

Of course, Ferrari offers a series of options for the front grille, at additional cost.  This car will sell strongly and that's all Ferrari cares about at this time.  

At 600+ horsepower it actually speaks to me. I like that it is understated.  But for the money And those looks I might prefer an Aston. 

I would have trouble distinguishing it from a F type Jaguar if I saw it on the road. 

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

Interestingly i was recently in Basel, and The local Ferrari dealer had a pearl white Roma out the front of the hotel (Three Kings). Car looks a lot better in person than it does in the pictures. Nice compact stance, seemed more sort of Vantage packaging, but arguably a better execution than Aston of the same concept. Would seem (to me) to be a better looking but less open (obv) package than the Portofino. Whether you would take this over a turbo S if you were looking for a GT car in this price ballpark unclear. Also i would be inclined to have a sunroof on any GT car i would get.

Where is Pinafarina?  Ohh for them

how does an old fart operate that touch screen while driving? Seems dangerous 

watt:

Where is Pinafarina?  Ohh for them

how does an old fart operate that touch screen while driving? Seems dangerous 

Hey, all us old farts now text our grandkids, on a touch screen... no hay problema aqui.... Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690571 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409821 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256056 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235290 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858505 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774766 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM