Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

With the Tesla I keep my hand on the wheel. If you do not do this it will ask you to move the wheel like you describe. Adjusting the volume with the knob on the wheel is best way to do this without physically moving the wheel and direction of the car. 
    Best for me is to just keep my left hand on the bottom of the wheel. Very natural. The car never complains or asks me to touch the wheel if I do this. You will enjoy finding out which method works best once you get your Model 3. 

That's just you. And you are driving very responsibly. 

Hundreds of thousands more Teslas owners aren't driving like you. That's the difference. Your one case can't represent the whole Tesla population. You are actually the exception, not the norm.

Every single car presents the opportunity to drive stupidly. On a Porsche forum this should sound plausible. 
    Most Tesla drivers are techie geeks. Else you would see tons of high speed acceleration crashes. I’m am frankly stunned they don’t happen daily. It is so friggin quick. 

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

With the Tesla I keep my hand on the wheel. If you do not do this it will ask you to move the wheel like you describe. Adjusting the volume with the knob on the wheel is best way to do this without physically moving the wheel and direction of the car. 
    Best for me is to just keep my left hand on the bottom of the wheel. Very natural. The car never complains or asks me to touch the wheel if I do this. You will enjoy finding out which method works best once you get your Model 3. 

That's just you. And you are driving very responsibly. 

Hundreds of thousands more Teslas owners aren't driving like you. That's the difference. Your one case can't represent the whole Tesla population. You are actually the exception, not the norm.

Every single car presents the opportunity to drive stupidly. On a Porsche forum this should sound plausible. 
    Most Tesla drivers are techie geeks. Else you would see tons of high speed acceleration crashes. I’m am frankly stunned they don’t happen daily. It is so friggin quick. 

This is why Tesla introduced Chill mode and the owners I know use that mode almost exclusively.  The valets at my building really dislike the Tesla for its twitchiness while parking.  

Weird. I will use Chill more  when I’m dead. I have no clue what they mean by the car is twitchy?  
    Some of these stories will more more sense ( or much less) once you drive one. Until then ...

I am surprised there are not more high speed crashes though. Must be that the rich nerds don’t like to go fast. Explains chill mode ported by some. 

Twitchiness as in difficulty in modulating the throttle while parallel parking.  That’s a big part of the valets’ duties as this building also houses several restaurants and a hotel.  

Most people don't use the gas pedal when parking, that's the difference with the Tesla. It takes a bit of getting used to but true it's not as easily controlling the throttle as it is for other cars. Anyways the car is meant to drive and park itself ​​​​

AP911:

Most people don't use the gas pedal when parking, that's the difference with the Tesla. It takes a bit of getting used to but true it's not as easily controlling the throttle as it is for other cars. Anyways the car is meant to drive and park itself ​​​​

Depending on the settings it does not coast. Then again it has been months since I used the brakes. So due to one pedal driving the remaining pedal is the throttle. Of all cars to learn to drive I’m sure the valets will learn quickly. The car should also not let them crash into things while parking not to mention all the distance sensors showing space remaining at all corners and the three backup cameras.  If they still can’t figure it out then all hope is lost. 

Leawood911:
    AP911:

Depending on the settings it does not coast. Then again it has been months since I used the brakes. So due to one pedal driving the remaining pedal is the throttle. Of all cars to learn to drive I’m sure the valets will learn quickly. The car should also not let them crash into things while parking not to mention all the distance sensors showing space remaining at all corners and the three backup cameras.  If they still can’t figure it out then all hope is lost. 

Other cars have similar parking aids.  It is not a Tesla exclusive feature.  One is only providing anecdotal information from the valets, who safely and quickly park 100s of cars daily.  

Here is something new.

It is confirmed now that there will be 3 modified Model 3s going up Pikes Peak at the end of the month, it will be the first true test of Model 3 performance. One of them will be driven by Randy Probst.

I wish I could be at the mountain to watch. mail

--

Whoopsy:

Here is something new.

It is confirmed now that there will be 3 modified Model 3s going up Pikes Peak at the end of the month, it will be the first true test of Model 3 performance. One of them will be driven by Randy Probst.

I wish I could be at the mountain to watchmail

Not sure that you really want to... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Here is something new.

Hardly a new plan. This has been in the works all year.   I don’t think Pikes peak is for Whoopsy. Close call last time. I will try to be there though. 

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Here is something new.

Actually I do seriously, if not for the closed border between Canada and USA. 

The paddock is the best one to hang out, even if not racing. The camaraderie is the best among all racing venues and I am not the only one saying that. 

And I still want to go back and do the hillclimb again. The event is just, well seductive. Call it the forbidden fruit.

--

Leawood911:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

Here is something new.

Hardly a new plan. This has been in the works all year.   I don’t think Pikes peak is for Whoopsy. Close call last time. I will try to be there though. 

I think the Teslas will have a good showing. Electric motors have a build in advantage in altitude, and the style of the switch backs suits the power delivery of electric motors very well. The only wild card would be the cold and unpredictable weather.

--

https://insideevs.com/news/437776/30-pounds-dirt-tesla-model-3-video/

Now this could be a aero design defect on the Model 3. We have heard and seen Model 3s losing their rear bumpers in rain storms, or just plain driving.

The air just carry 'stuff' into the rear bumper and those get trapped, even the air gets trapped there with no exit.

--

No idea why they think every Tesla needs to be fully charged to go fast and that it somehow loses speed. I have not experienced this at all. Once the charge gets really low, like 15% or so, the software will slow you down and let you know so you know what to expect.  Maybe this is a Model S or X thing. I would not buy those two as they are about to be upgraded big time.   Major battery and performance upgrade to come shortly. Sorry Porsche 😢

In terms of drag race - as expected. The models are lined up by price ala Porsche. Note that the little model3 had some punch off the line and pulled the X at first. No fancy launch mode on the model3. It is always ready to smoke opponents. 

Leawood911:

No idea why they think every Tesla needs to be fully charged to go fast and that it somehow loses speed. I have not experienced this at all. Once the charge gets really low, like 15% or so, the software will slow you down and let you know so you know what to expect.  Maybe this is a Model S or X thing. I would not buy those two as they are about to be upgraded big time.   Major battery and performance upgrade to come shortly. Sorry Porsche 😢

In terms of drag race - as expected. The models are lined up by price ala Porsche. Note that the little model3 had some punch off the line and pulled the X at first. No fancy launch mode on the model3. It is always ready to smoke opponents. 

Charging your Tesla could make a difference of 40% to power and acceleration

Thanks. Brooks rules. As I suspected it is a model S or model x issue. Maybe highlight this in bold as well next time. Don’t buy those. The updated models being announced soon will most likely have the type of stable performance the model 3 enjoys. Though they may still have some super high speed mode which degrade faster. 

but let’s keep in mind these are fast times either way. When charging at home each day I rarely find myself below 70% charge. 

Meanwhile...

Lucid Air Looks To Rock Tesla's World With Teased Range Of 442 Miles

Lucid just released a teaser video showing a range figure of some 442 miles for its upcoming Air luxury electric sedan.

Will the Air beat the range of the Tesla Model S(402miles)?

How many miles can the #LucidAir go on a single charge? Find out on Tuesday, August 11th—we’ll reset the standard for EVs.

https://twitter.com/LucidMotors/status/1291750952874246145

I’m not so certain range is as critical as people think. All the other car qualities still matter and now many more given it is electric. But it is great to see more electric cars. Since it is not an existing company with huge ICE factories and inventory they may survive. The others are still perfecting the buggy whip, building new gas engines with better emissions. 

Leawood911:

I’m not so certain range is as critical as people think. 

Finally, you state the obvious.  Range isn't a major dealbreaker for the Audi e-tron and Porsche Taycan.  Other attributes are more important and the fact remains that these EVs are produced by automakers with proven track records.  There is nothing magical with EV production and it is nothing more than another prime mover option for the consumer.  

CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:

Finally, you state the obvious.  Range isn't a major dealbreaker for the Audi e-tron and Porsche Taycan.  Other attributes are more important and the fact remains that these EVs are produced by automakers with proven track records.  There is nothing magical with EV production and it is nothing more than another prime mover option for the consumer.  

I think I have been incredibly consistent in pointing out that the key is reasonably quick charging at home at low cost.  Fast superchargers for road trips complete this puzzle. Also if range is limited due to the drivetrain achieving fewer miles per kWh then range needs to be considered when purchasing. 

To be clear though - the point of the article was something like 400 miles vs 425 miles. That extra 25 miles is not a dealbreaker - how long it takes to charge to get that range might be.  Performance would also be a larger factor once range is >400. 

Thinking that this is the perfect argument for sub 200 mile range is pretty funny and predictable.  I’m not buying an expensive Porsche EV anytime soon and the Audi is slow as well. We are not even talking about software and tech, mostly inefficient motor and battery.  Build quality of the Tesla simplify it ALL way of design is my thing. 

I like the competition but VW and group have a lot of overhead and exiting ICE investment in their way.  I keep hearing merger rumors with Tesla. Do you guys hear these lately? 

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:

I think I have been incredibly consistent in pointing out that the key is reasonably quick charging at home at low cost.  Fast superchargers for road trips complete this puzzle. Also if range is limited due to the drivetrain achieving fewer miles per kWh then range needs to be considered when purchasing. 

To be clear though - the point of the article was something like 400 miles vs 425 miles. That extra 25 miles is not a dealbreaker - how long it takes to charge to get that range might be.  Performance would also be a larger factor once range is >400. 

Thinking that this is the perfect argument for sub 200 mile range is pretty funny and predictable.  I’m not buying an expensive Porsche EV anytime soon and the Audi is slow as well. We are not even talking about software and tech, mostly inefficient motor and battery.  Build quality of the Tesla simplify it ALL way of design is my thing. 

I like the competition but VW and group have a lot of overhead and exiting ICE investment in their way.  I keep hearing merger rumors with Tesla. Do you guys hear these lately? 

EV are still cars. VAG is making cars, period.

It will be a looooooong road to replace all normal cars with EVs, they will still be around for a long time and right now customers aren't too keen on buying EVs yet, they still want normal cars or hybrids.

--

It looks like the competition for Tesla has already arrived in Europe...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif .

ELECTRIC VEHICLE REGISTRATIONS IN THE NETHERLANDS, NORWAY AND SPAIN (2020YTD)

FCA5D31E-B82C-4CFF-97BD-4956D2299039.jpeg

Source: https://eu-evs.com/

...good news for the auto sector!  BF822CAF-50E5-4C47-9B23-F36F9B8F5A9C.gif

Boxster Coupe GTS:

It looks like the competition for Tesla has already arrived in Europe...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif .

ELECTRIC VEHICLE REGISTRATIONS IN THE NETHERLANDS, NORWAY AND SPAIN (2020YTD)

FCA5D31E-B82C-4CFF-97BD-4956D2299039.jpeg

Source: https://eu-evs.com/

...good news for the auto sector!  BF822CAF-50E5-4C47-9B23-F36F9B8F5A9C.gif

So how is the EV market looking in Germany? Smiley

F8D5A38F-DE7A-4AE3-A31E-4166E606CA1F.jpeg

Smiley

Might be because they can make them fast enough.  Lol. 
    At some point everyone will have driven one. Maybe then you will understand.  
    I am just not as convinced that the other EVs are as competitive.  But it is clear that ICE is on the way out.  There is no denying it.  Hybrid in the long run is just double the complexity with gas mixed in.  Worst of both worlds. 

Topspeed:

Tesla Is Limiting Supercharging To 120 kW In Europe, But Why?

My personal guess is: The infrastructure here, the energy grid could get in trouble. I already know for a fact that many charging stations have been scratched in new buildings/condo complexes because the energy grid infrastructure wasn't "strong" enough. Same goes to my local Range Rover dealer, his request to install four chargers in his business has been denied by the local energy company, they permitted only two instead.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    Topspeed:

My personal guess is: The infrastructure here, the energy grid could get in trouble. I already know for a fact that many charging stations have been scratched in new buildings/condo complexes because the energy grid infrastructure wasn't "strong" enough. Same goes to my local Range Rover dealer, his request to install four chargers in his business has been denied by the local energy company, they permitted only two instead.

I have been saying that for a while, infrastructure is a major hindrance to the adoption of pure EVs in Europe, someone else just keep brushing that aside casually.

There isn't much available land in the Old World, not much space for those pipe dream solar farms. Nuclear, one of the densest energy producing option, fell out of favour. Energy doesn't magically appear out of nowhere, it needs to be either produced or captured. And then it needs to be distributed. Old World is populated with ancient architecture, most city councils will veto demolishing them to make room for transformers and stuff to beef up the power grid. One could say they are stuck in no mans land.

Hybrids is the answer to the 'green' problem. It doesn't take much to charge them from the wall, they are just as green as a EV in normal usage, and they can self charge so don't even needed to be tethered to the wall.

The New World has tons of empty land they can repurpose for energy usage, and out East in the Ancient Kingdom they have a powerful central government that can mandate whatever needed to be built, quickly. That's a major difference between them and the Old World. One reason for the difference in EV adoption.

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Topspeed:

I have been saying that for a while, infrastructure is a major hindrance to the adoption of pure EVs in Europe, someone else just keep brushing that aside casually.

There isn't much available land in the Old World, not much space for those pipe dream solar farms. Nuclear, one of the densest energy producing option, fell out of favour. Energy doesn't magically appear out of nowhere, it needs to be either produced or captured. And then it needs to be distributed. Old World is populated with ancient architecture, most city councils will veto demolishing them to make room for transformers and stuff to beef up the power grid. One could say they are stuck in no mans land.

Hybrids is the answer to the 'green' problem. It doesn't take much to charge them from the wall, they are just as green as a EV in normal usage, and they can self charge so don't even needed to be tethered to the wall.

The New World has tons of empty land they can repurpose for energy usage, and out East in the Ancient Kingdom they have a powerful central government that can mandate whatever needed to be built, quickly. That's a major difference between them and the Old World. One reason for the difference in EV adoption.

However, the omnipotent European Union has mandated mass adoption of EVs with its draconian limits on carbon emissions for vehicles.  Nameless and faceless bureaucrats aren’t going to change their onerous regulations to appease the less enlightened masses.  

There is a difference between superchargers and home charging. In Europe most homes and apartments have power I assume. Using this power to charge at night, off peak, is not an issue in most cases and this is how almost all charging is done.  If more is needed I am certain the will is there to make it happen. It might also lower prices to normal levels.  
    Any solution which relies on gasoline is a waste of tech and time. Useless complexity. A shit sandwich. 
    Do you really think we should stick with gas because electricity is not available. Candles anyone?  Whale oil?  Buggy whips?  But I like the certainty with which some stick to their opinions. And software is simple to write. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690524 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409779 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256038 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858453 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774746 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM