RC:
    Leawood911:
    Porker:
    Leawood911:
    RC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HHNgL0z7kk

smiley

I wonder why you like that video?  Hmmm

Isn't life a never ending battle of 'I am/have the best" for certain individuals? smiley

Just wait until he gets that Model 3 performance. OMG. I can’t wait. 
    Actually, I can’t wait until all of you drive one. Not holding my breath. 

You remember I outran a Tesla 3 Performance in my AMG truck? By half a car length by still... Smiley

The Performante is one of the quickest cars on this planet from 0-100 kph, not that it really matters because I'm not really a fan of drag racing. Still, considering it is one of the last n/a dinosaurs, it is impressive.

Details about the AMG truck please?  Are you talking about to top speed?  My little one does 60 in 2.9 seconds all day long. No launch control. No overheating. Hmm.  Quarter mile in 11.6 sec at 118.   
    Price of the truck?  Are you certain the Model 3 was trying. If you were driving it I believe you. If it was just some street encounter you may not have witnessed him trying.  Either way. Fast AMG truck. Nice going. 
    I believe I have several camera angles of the last Hurricane I raced to 70 or so.  Don’t know if he tried but it was several car lengths. It was wet and I had snow tires on. 

And you looked a lot cooler than him too, right? Smiley

Cooler than an AMG SUV. But just barely.   
    I don’t care about looking cool and personally I would not be caught dead in a Lamborghini.  I’m not cool enough to pull that off.  They sound amazing though. So do AMG trucks. The Tesla sounds like nothing. I love that. Hey this is a gt2 thread. No more. 

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017)

bluelines:
    RC:

Nope. Performante for life. Smiley

Next new car, amazing leasing deal and you cannot resist indecision

Great thing is, you can then give the Lambo to your son. Two problems, solved in one indecision

Imagine not having the very latest model! What would the neighbors think! Smiley

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

The model 3 was trying, the driver and passenger (wife?) showed both thumbs up. I don't know what driving mode they used (of course) but I assume it wasn't the slowest.

2.9 seconds from 0-60? Batteries full? How many persons in the car? Cold? Hot? What kind of tires? Tarmac grip?

Tesla Germany says 0-100 kph in 3.4 seconds. The best test figure I saw so far, magazines and private German tests, is 3.5 seconds. Your 2.9 seconds from 0-60 mph would indicate 3.2 seconds. Very unlikely in my opinion.

My GLC 63S does 0-100 kph (no launch control) in 3.9 seconds. With launch control, it is 3.7 seconds (tested with Dragy). Almost full tank, son with me in the car. This thing is quick. Not Urus quick (this thing is a beast) but very quick for such a small SUV.

Performante? I have to look up the Dragy numbers but as far as I remember, it was (with launch control, believe it or not, I used it only twice since I own the car) from 0-100 kph 2.8 seconds (which basically translates into 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds), 0-160 kph in 5.7 seconds and 0-200 kph in 8.6 seconds. Almost full tank and co-passenger (son). I do not know how accurate Dragy really is compared to certified measuring equipment though but it shows pretty much the same data as the Performance Box (we compared it before), one reason I do not use the Performance Box anymore. 100 to 200 kph was 5.7 seconds btw., 0.1 seconds faster than during the 0-200 kph run. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Porker:
    bluelines:
    RC:

Nope. Performante for life. Smiley

Next new car, amazing leasing deal and you cannot resist indecision

Great thing is, you can then give the Lambo to your son. Two problems, solved in one indecision

Imagine not having the very latest model! What would the neighbors think! Smiley

Smiley You are aware that the Performante is not the latest Lamborghini model? 

Also, why would I be dumb to drive shabby old cars when I can drive new cars as business leases? Smiley

The money I save, I invest in the stock markets... Smiley

You lost your touch, try harder. Smiley  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

The model 3 was trying, the driver and passenger (wife?) showed both thumbs up. I don't know what driving mode they used (of course) but I assume it wasn't the slowest.

2.9 seconds from 0-60? Batteries full? How many persons in the car? Cold? Hot? What kind of tires? Tarmac grip?

Tesla Germany says 0-100 kph in 3.4 seconds. The best test figure I saw so far, magazines and private German tests, is 3.5 seconds. Your 2.9 seconds from 0-60 mph would indicate 3.2 seconds. Very unlikely in my opinion.

My GLC 63S does 0-100 kph (no launch control) in 3.9 seconds. With launch control, it is 3.7 seconds (tested with Dragy). Almost full tank, son with me in the car. This thing is quick. Not Urus quick (this thing is a beast) but very quick for such a small SUV.

Performante? I have to look up the Dragy numbers but as far as I remember, it was (with launch control, believe it or not, I used it only twice since I own the car) from 0-100 kph 2.8 seconds (which basically translates into 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds), 0-160 kph in 5.7 seconds and 0-200 kph in 8.6 seconds. Almost full tank and co-passenger (son). I do not know how accurate Dragy really is compared to certified measuring equipment though but it shows pretty much the same data as the Performance Box (we compared it before), one reason I do not use the Performance Box anymore. 100 to 200 kph was 5.7 seconds btw., 0.1 seconds faster than during the 0-200 kph run. 

Personally I have never timed my car. Not my thing. The Model3 has no launch mode or special drive mode, just don’t be in a chill mode.   Battery charge does not seem to matter either. 
    Brooks on DragTimes, YouTube, is a well respected drag racer. He timed the model3 at 2.9.  Sure you can find it and all the specs you want.  
    I know what Tesla rates the car at in the US, 3.2.  Porsche also rates conservatively. 
    The big difference is that when the Tesla launches vs the Lamborghini it is a non event. Hilariously so. I would feel like a tool making all the noise but the Tesla just silently blows traffic away. Each time. Cops don’t even seem to care. I hope they don’t catch on to how much fun it is.  Bad news it that the Turbo is boring and tedious to drive now.  Yes it looks better but the performance disadvantage makes it look a bit stupid. 

I agree, an EV doesn't attract any major attention when you "launch" it but l said it before: I want an EV for my business for cost reasons but of course also because the Tesla 3 Performance is the best cost/performance car on the market right now here in Germany. Only 0.25% tax (instead of 1%), it is a German business tax thing, difficult to explain and a few incentives from the government, making the car also cheaper. For 500-600 EUR (incl. 19% VAT) per month, I get a fully optioned Tesla 3 Performance and I save money (around 15k EUR per year in comparison to my current GLC 63S AMG). This is a lot of money and my business car is really used for my daily commute and deliveries, not for fun (although I enjoy the GLC tremendously). Family vacations? By plane only...or we use two cars.

--

Are you saying that your GLC is about 1700 a month?

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

Are you saying that your GLC is about 1700 a month?

No. Of course not.

1% of the car's MSRP is considered by the tax office as a monthly profit and this sum adds to the profit gain I make.

In simple terms: Driving my GLC means I make a profit (in the eyes of the tax office), so my profit rises. Smiley

For the Tesla Model 3 Performance, the tax office considers only 0.25% of the MSRP as a monthly profit. This is a tax advantage for certain EVs up to a certain MSRP.

Considering lease cost of the GLC and lease cost of the Tesla and of course the profit difference, it makes a lot of sense to drive a Tesla instead. The Tesla basically minimizes my profit, thus I have to pay less taxes. Smiley 

--

You should drive what you want. Life is too short to live it according to tax breaks. 

JoeRockhead:

You should drive what you want. Life is too short to live it according to tax breaks. 

I would agree but when it comes to my business car, I really don't care anymore. I drive mostly to my work and back home. In the past, I was using these cars for vacations and other stuff as well but now, mostly business.

I asked my tax advisor a short while ago if I can take a Urus as a business car, I think he is still laughing. Smiley

This would be the only daily driver I would enjoy more than my GLC, everything else is covered by my Performante. Smiley

I guess I got old. Smiley

--

RC:
    I asked my tax advisor a short while ago if I can take a Urus as a business car, I think he is still laughing. Smiley

This would be the only daily driver I would enjoy more than my GLC, everything else is covered by my Performante. Smiley

Welcome to the club SmileySmiley

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

W8MM:
    RC:

Just wait until the grand parent mentality kicks in - Opa zeit. Good news you will have as much fun as that kind of tax break could possibly serve up. You won’t be disappointed in that regard. Looking forward to your reaction. 

W8MM:
    RC:

Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

Some more tidbits for the GT2RS.

The 'different' pistons the GT2RS got over the regular turbo engines Porsche said are in fact 3D printed ones with hidden oil channels for cooling.

--

Now that is interesting... Smiley

--

That was awesome blush

The engine dyno testing at the end was pretty cool the program said Nardo and the engine was being held at 6500rpm loaded to produce a steady 700NM/640hp.....  When one sees the level of testing done to verify the signed off hp level it really puts it into perspective when one man band "tuners" tweak the ECUs for another 50hp, there are only a handful worldwide who will do similar to manufacturer endurance verification. 

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

What's amazing is the durability of a 3D printed piston under such loads.

This opens up a world of possibilities for 3D printed parts on engines.

--

Whoopsy:

Would allow redline above 9k if used in current GT3 engine design...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

let the 4.2L of the RS shows you how to reach 9k rpm Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

incredible tech. Thanks for sharing wink

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

I supposed. Even if the need for extra cooling is not needed, the 3D printing technique would allow for lighter pistons.

With a bigger printer, perhaps an engine block could be printed too. Lighter engines.

--

Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:

I supposed. Even if the need for extra cooling is not needed, the 3D printing technique would allow for lighter pistons.

With a bigger printer, perhaps an engine block could be printed too. Lighter engines.

Saving weight in the engine helps a bunch with handling in a 911, as it sits behind the rear wheels.  Just bought a new (used but upgraded) Magnesium engine case for my 911 engine rebuild.  Have a Magnesium transmission case too.  3-D printed stuff will probably be more robust that old Mag stuff (light but fragile).

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Even with the stringent testing protocol and inspections, additive manufactured parts are not without issues.  While the video speaks to the issue of porosity, it still remains a significant factor in production. This is why the aerospace industry has not widely adopted 3D printed parts, quality can’t always be ensured.  In a race car environment where engines are rebuilt every few races this is less of an issue but becomes relevant on road cars which must endure years and years of use before major service and rebuilds. 

Something that could be controlled and surveyed with specific procedures, couldn’t it? I’d wager the cost/benefit ratio is just not on par yet with the commonly used products. There were several interviews about that subject, here is one of them. In another one it was predicted that Porsche uses 3D printing in the production process in one decade.

Ferdie:

Something that could be controlled and surveyed with specific procedures, couldn’t it? I’d wager the cost/benefit ratio is just not on par yet with the commonly used products. There were several interviews about that subject, here is one of them. In another one it was predicted that Porsche uses 3D printing in the production process in one decade.

Of course that is a big reason. Why else would Porsche adopt such a piston in their most expensive 911. 

But now that the guinea pig is done, they know how the process work and have definite cost estimates and know where they can start saving money on the production process, it's only a matter of time till the tech filter down.

--

Whoopsy:

Of course that is a big reason. Why else would Porsche adopt such a piston in their most expensive 911. 

But now that the guinea pig is done, they know how the process work and have definite cost estimates and know where they can start saving money on the production process, it's only a matter of time till the tech filter down.

Guess they could've used an entry-level Boxster as well... Smiley

Of course, six individual pistons are far from the state of serial production but it's an exciting field. Might become one of the big changes in automotive production in the next few years.

A few days back I had finally the chance to drive an 991.2 GT2RS for the first time, It‘s a black/ black car with Weissach Package, roll cage and Mag wheels and all other options available, OH BOY, WHAT A CAR! kiss

What really impressed me wasn‘t the sheer performance only but the whole package/ setup of the car (chassis, brakes, gearbox) as we‘ve been riding mainly on country/ mountain roads with rather poor surface quality.

My friend drives this car barely (only 2,5k km after two years of ownership) and is usually switching his cars every 1-1,5 years, he owned prior to the GT2RS a 991.2 GT3RS (with Weissach & all options) and a 991.2 GT3 and any other Porsche Turbo in all varieties (since 997 on).

I just want to congratulate all of you „blessed owners“ of this car, this has been the most impressive ride in my life so far angel

BTW, now he‘s thinking of adding a AMG GTR BS to his stable...

It must have been an amazing drive kiss

Only Porsche beats Porsche, so we look forward to the 992 version of this stunning car..

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Lord_Driftalot:

A few days back I had finally the chance to drive an 991.2 GT2RS for the first time, It‘s a black/ black car with Weissach Package, roll cage and Mag wheels and all other options available, OH BOY, WHAT A CAR! kiss

What really impressed me wasn‘t the sheer performance only but the whole package/ setup of the car (chassis, brakes, gearbox) as we‘ve been riding mainly on country/ mountain roads with rather poor surface quality.

My friend drives this car barely (only 2,5k km after two years of ownership) and is usually switching his cars every 1-1,5 years, he owned prior to the GT2RS a 991.2 GT3RS (with Weissach & all options) and a 991.2 GT3 and any other Porsche Turbo in all varieties (since 997 on).

I just want to congratulate all of you „blessed owners“ of this car, this has been the most impressive ride in my life so far angel

BTW, now he‘s thinking of adding a AMG GTR BS to his stable...

Have you driven the .2 GT3 RS ? If yes, how did you rate the chassis difference on those public roads and the general feeling ?  I am getting more and more interested in the GT2 Smiley  But, I still love my GT3 RS to bits.  A bit of a petty he does not drive them more , but then he manages to drive many different ones.  I find I need 10k to realy get to know a car properly.  Mine is now at 20k after exactly two years. 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

I drove both, I prefer the Gt3RS, a bit sharper better sound and the suspension is weird at Sebring so we know the GT2RS needs a different setup.

But main reason is if you get a GT2RS on track, you can only play with another GT2RS :-)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690298 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409625 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255913 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235160 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65630 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858323 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774555 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM