Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020)

Unlike other manufacturers, all of Porsche's official published numbers are infinitely reachable. Those are like the bare minimum numbers one can expect to see. Pick any car of any dealers' lot and it will at least match those published numbers. Anything faster will just be a nice surprise to the buyer, or the tester.

Very unlike just about any other car maker that published numbers that can only be reached if one spec a super super light weight spec, perfect weather, perfect surface with optimal tire pressure, etc.

Even on track times, one sets of numbers cannot be compared to another set if they are not done on the same day. Heck, numbers can be totally different from morning to afternoon. "winners" just just a relative term, winning for that one particular test session. Nothing more.

--

Whoopsy:

Unlike other manufacturers, all of Porsche's official published numbers are infinitely reachable. Those are like the bare minimum numbers one can expect to see. Pick any car of any dealers' lot and it will at least match those published numbers. Anything faster will just be a nice surprise to the buyer, or the tester.

Not entirely true...... the Carrera GT was quoted by Porsche 0-300 in 27s (from memory..... may have been 26.Xs) it even stated this in the handbook.

I tested mine many times and got low 30s, mag tests of the time got similar, when quizzed Porsche insisted on their 26.Xs but sub 30s was never achieved by anyone.

In fact a quick google search on the subject reveals that it was being discussed in 2007 indecision

index.html--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

Maybe to keep this thread interesting we should switch to a discussion of of unsprung weight. laugh

Seriously, if your ennui has reached a point of arguing over tenths of a second acceleration time because a butterfly fluttered a mile away, we are no longer discussing cars. We are discussing whether the driver has had a good bowel movement before running a 1/4 mile. mail

I know car news is hard to come by but do we really need to break down why a car on certain day had a particular time?yes

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

nberry:

I know car news is hard to come by but do we really need to break down why a car on certain day had a particular time?yes

I don’t like this attitude Nick. You know that it is the last millisecond that counts. The true measure of any sports car. Driver involvement, engagement and excitement are not tangible. They are feelings and don’t belong on a butch and manly international sports car forum. 

Smiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

BiTurbo:
    TB993tt:
    Caymanisking:

Its not a case of trying to convince anyone to buy a different car or not. You are never going to change anyones mind. Cars are as much a heart thing as a brain thing. Debating the performance figures of cars is part of the fun and passion. Thirty years ago we did it at school and the topic was hot hatchbacks. Now it is proper cars. Over time as more people test or drag the Turbo S it will emerge where it fits into the pecking order as that will show what is the norm and what are the outliers. For now let us have our fun or ignore if it does not interest you. I find it much more interesting than talking politics or Covid 19 all the time of which you get an overdose every day!

+1 seems some of the old guys on here forgot it's a sports car chat forum which means discussing all aspects of performance especially acceleration  indecision

Unless nberry wants us to start a very sensitive topic about the US Presidential Election 2020 and a name many are allergic to, Donald Trump  Smiley

Anyway this is from AMuS Test

992 Turbo S vs McLaren GT

0-80:  2,0  /  2,5
    0-100:  2,7  /  3,2
    0-160:  5,8  /  6,4
    0-200:  8,9  /  9,5
    0-240:  13,6  /  14,2
    0-300:  27,5  /  30,9

1/4 Mile: 10,4  /  10,9

Braking:

100 - 0(km/h): 31,4 m  /  33,3 m

HHR Lap Time:

Porsche - 1:50.0 / Vmax - 268 km/h
    McLaren - 1:55.1 / Vmax - 270 km/h

Weight: 1,649 kg  /  1,557 kg

Tires: Pirelli P Zero  /  Pirelli P Zero

The poor numbers are an outcome of the very high temperature at the time of the test, unfortunately.

Caymanisking:

The AMuS numbers seem so identical to the Porsche official numbers you wonder if the tester maybe went to pub for the day and just inserted the numbers in the brochure and extrapolated for the ones not in the brochure. :-)

These numbers were achieved at an exterior temperature of approx 30°C - of course, the numbers would be better in normal weather conditions Smiley

nberry:

Maybe to keep this thread interesting we should switch to a discussion of of unsprung weight. laugh

Seriously, if your ennui has reached a point of arguing over tenths of a second acceleration time because a butterfly fluttered a mile away, we are no longer discussing cars. We are discussing whether the driver has had a good bowel movement before running a 1/4 mile. mail

I don't see what the problem is Nick, like you, I don't care about tenths in acceleration at all, but as a petrolhead I do find interesting the discussion about car dynamics and acceleration, and official vs unofficial figures in the thread, and this is a petrolhead forum after all not a casuals forum, which means people are going to go into depth and details wether it's 0-200 times or deviated stitching. Those mocking car talk in a specialized sportscar forum is what is kind of silly if you ask me, if it doesn't interest you simply move onto another thread, that's what I do.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Smiley Smiley

The "how I detail my car..." threads, we usually leave to the other car forums. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

Smiley Smiley

The "how I detail my car..." threads, we usually leave to the other car forums. Smiley Smiley

Well stitching color and leather part is also part of the pure sportscar experience Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

Smiley Smiley

Well stitching color and leather part is also part of the pure sportscar experience Smiley

Well, that's because we know some colors are faster than others indecision

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Bluelines is just downplaying the importance of acceleration because he chose the slow car in a slow colour this time. indecision

Just joking - would not mind a GT4. Reality is that Turbo S and GT4 are such different cars meeting different needs that you really want both in an ideal world.

Caymanisking:

Bluelines is just downplaying the importance of acceleration because he chose the slow car in a slow colour this time. indecision

You are on thin ice now SmileySmiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

bluelines:
    Caymanisking:

You are on thin ice now SmileySmiley

Haha,

Bluelines forgot to ask our opinions on which colour stitching and is carbon interior faster than leather, and should he get a body coloured key..... Thank God we stick to performance

But face it your new GT4 is a slower colour than the last...by far, and about that stitchingSmiley

TB993tt:
    Whoopsy:

Not entirely true...... the Carrera GT was quoted by Porsche 0-300 in 27s (from memory..... may have been 26.Xs) it even stated this in the handbook.

I tested mine many times and got low 30s, mag tests of the time got similar, when quizzed Porsche insisted on their 26.Xs but sub 30s was never achieved by anyone.

In fact a quick google search on the subject reveals that it was being discussed in 2007 indecision

index.html--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

I stand corrected then.

But then again, the CGT really is the oddest of all oddballs out of Zuffenhausen. 

--

The CGT is slower than my Performante in every speed range (one of my driving buddies has one, CR has one as well) and I think the Performante does 0-300 kph in 28 seconds or so... The difference isn't big but obvious.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Whoopsy:
    TB993tt:
    Whoopsy:

I stand corrected then.

But then again, the CGT really is the oddest of all oddballs out of Zuffenhausen. 

I knew that someone brings up the CGT in that context, I immediately thought of that as well... admittedly though, this must be the only car that did not entirely meet Porsche´s performance specs. That and the very first Boxster...

I do not think that any CGT owner cares about the last fraction of a second in performance, this car is a lot of fun...if you can drive it. My driving buddy is really a pro in the CGT, it is amazing how well he controls this car, even in pretty hairy driving situations. He already has over 30000 km in the car, no accident, so it definitely isn't the car if someone crashes it. Smiley

--

RC:

I do not think that any CGT owner cares about the last fraction of a second in performance, this car is a lot of fun...if you can drive it. My driving buddy is really a pro in the CGT, it is amazing how well he controls this car, even in pretty hairy driving situations. He already has over 30000 km in the car, no accident, so it definitely isn't the car if someone crashes it. Smiley

He probably changed the original tyres and replaced them with PSS Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Ferdie:
    Whoopsy:
    TB993tt:
    Whoopsy:

I stand corrected then.

I knew that someone brings up the CGT in that context, I immediately thought of that as well... admittedly though, this must be the only car that did not entirely meet Porsche´s performance specs. That and the very first Boxster...

Well the CGT has always been a salvage program to recover money invested first. So that's a valid excuse for it to not meet expectation. It was never designed that way in the first place.

--

the-missile:
    RC:

He probably changed the original tyres and replaced them with PSS Smiley

He has indeed the latest tire generation recommend by Porsche (I even think he got the tires directly from them), it is a Michelin and it has N0 I think on it but I couldn't say if it is the PSS. It would be pretty irresponsible to drive with the old OEM tires but at 30000 km, I doubt they would have lasted that long. Smiley

The car is amazing to drive...up to a certain point. It doesn't like to be thrown into curves, you really need to drive a clean line but I think this is valid for many mid engined cars.

--

RC:

The car is amazing to drive...up to a certain point. It doesn't like to be thrown into curves, you really need to drive a clean line but I think this is valid for many mid engined cars.

My experience with modern tires on the CGT says that the "certain point" is better than with the original tire formula.

However, the also-mid-engined 918 is on another planet for handling.  It's "certain point" is waaaaay past the CGT's.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

W8MM:
    RC:

My experience with modern tires on the CGT says that the "certain point" is better than with the original tire formula.

However, the also-mid-engined 918 is on another planet for handling.  It's "certain point" is waaaaay past the CGT's.

Well, if I had to choose between the CGT and the 918, my answer would be clearly the 918. I love the CGT but the 918 is just on a different level. Smiley You lucky bastard. Smiley Smiley

--

I don't think I will ever drive a CGT or a 918 to compare their driving characteristics.

But such cars are also about visual effect and in this respect IMO the Carrera GT is insurmountable.

Its styling is simple and unadorned Porsche but at the same time it is an overwhelming car. It has its modernity but at the same time it alludes to older Porsche racing cars and hence it is a timeless piece of design.

The first time I saw the CGT I felt a great emotion as a fan of Porsche and cars in general ( see the picture below from Stuttgart 2006). Not so much from my encounter with the 918.

1596798653015Stuttgart 2006 040.jpg

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

RC:
    Smiley You lucky bastard. Smiley Smiley

Yes, I am very lucky and I am very grateful to be so Smiley

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

RC:

AutoBILD Sports Cars, real testing.

Performante 0-100 kph in 2.6 seconds and 0-200 kph in 8.3 seconds.

BTW, which test was this? All Performante 0-200 tests I could find were around 9s (8.8 or even 9.2). Typical 0-200 seems around 9s, based on German car magazines Smiley

Top Gear

BiTurbo:

Top Gear

Many thanks for posting. The "30-70" and "60-130" results demonstrate the in-gear effect I described above. The taycan only has an advantage coming from cruising mode and thesudden throttle input. If the turbo is "activated" by pressing the boost button, driving in sport plus mode etc. the 992 turbo s is faster than the Taycan Smiley And you can also feel this from the driver seat. It is not just an effect in the numbers.

Think how much more effective of a road weapon the 911 Turbo S becomes with a mild hybrid torque fill system in place.  

CGX car nut:

Think how much more effective of a road weapon the 911 Turbo S becomes with a mild hybrid torque fill system in place.  

Could be very interesting indeed. I am just a bit worried about the extra weight. If this could be kept well below 100kg the result would be surely special Smiley

MKSGR:
    CGX car nut:

Could be very interesting indeed. I am just a bit worried about the extra weight. If this could be kept well below 100kg the result would be surely special Smiley

look at Taycan Turbo S which is about 500kg+ heavier and is as fast as the turbo S...992.2 Turbo S with 200kg more with this 130ish hp in EV will be ballistic.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689745 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409336 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255798 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235023 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65547 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858095 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774171 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM