Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - GT2/GT3 Language: English Region: Worldwide - Asia Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

MPSC2 R VS Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport RS VS Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2oe9oTU7Aw

Re: MPSC2 R VS Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport RS VS Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R

Kobalt:

Thanks. Knowing how much developing power Porsche put into tires, especially for the GT models, I would stick with the Porsche (tire) recommendation. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    Kobalt:

Thanks. Knowing how much developing power Porsche put into tires, especially for the GT models, I would stick with the Porsche (tire) recommendation. 

That was addressed in the well presented video.  The efforts by Porsche and its designated tires are noted and the benefits, as well as some disadvantages, are quantified within the video.  It's an excellent primer on how Porsche works with the tire manufacturers.  

Pretty much the results I saw at my track oh like 3 years ago, when GM brought the Camaro ZL1 1LE to our track and Goodyear tagged along with their then new tire.

Those Goodyears are really amazing for short stints, especially on a heavy car like the Camaro, as the tire was tuned for that car. 

--

Kobalt:

Nicely explained. Never tried the Cup2 R, would be interested to as I felt the regular Cup 2 felt a bit too road biased lately when pushing harder.

I never had that feeling with the Trofeo R's on my RS previously, it was my default choice back then but it frustrated in the rain. I can only imagine how the Cup R/Goodyear must feel in the rain. Smiley

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:
    Kobalt:

Nicely explained. Never tried the Cup2 R, would be interested to as I felt the regular Cup 2 felt a bit too road biased lately when pushing harder.

I never had that feeling with the Trofeo R's on my RS previously, it was my default choice back then but it frustrated in the rain. I can only imagine how the Cup R/Goodyear must feel in the rain. Smiley

They always are. That was Michelin's mission developing the Cup 2s. They are a street tire that's capable on the track, not a track tire that can be driven on the street like the Trofeo R. That's a very big difference. 

Trofeo R is just about the stickiest tire you can find this side of a slick, cheater tire in some circles. The Cup 2 R has just about the same real grip when new, but that layer wouldn't last, after that it;'s just a slightly used Cup 2. Not counting the Ring, Trofeo R should still have maybe 1/2 second on the Cup 2 R properly driven when new.

--

100% agree - some tires became a marketing tool to extract one time to then compare times it with hypercars years ago in order to sell...

Whoopsy:

The Cup 2 R has just about the same real grip when new, but that layer wouldn't last, after that it;'s just a slightly used Cup 2.

Cup2 R also wear faster than Trofeo's Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

and are more sticky than Trofeo Rs.

hunterone:

and are more sticky than Trofeo Rs.

Not in the rain. Smiley Surprisingly. 

I stick to my Corsas for road driving, perfect compromise between performance and rain/cold weather stickiness.

I assume you have the Corsas as well on your 720S?

I was quite surprised to read that Lamborghini uses the regular PZero as a standard tire now for their Huracan Evo models... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

The newer P Zero are better even as the older ones with the same thread pattern. See 992 Turbo S Time Sport Auto. Its nearly on Corsa Level. 

I’ve the Corsas on my 720s and I’m happy with them, I’m only missing a little bit off turn in precision but i will switch to CUP2 to see the difference and maybe after them to Trofeo R or better Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar 3R but this tyre isn’t available right now in Europe.

Good Video also about tyres and track usage here from Robert Mitchell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0YWxSGTv78&t=2s. The CUP2R/ZP is with a good margin the quickest but also the fastest wearing tyre. Also important: Sidewall stiffness and that’s one of the weaker points on all Pirellis including Trofeo R.

hunterone:

The newer P Zero are better even as the older ones with the same thread pattern. See 992 Turbo S Time Sport Auto. Its nearly on Corsa Level. 

Porsche works closely with Pirelli when they develop new tires for their cars. The newer PZero is good but only the N-rated versions Porsche recommends. They are specifically "fine-tuned" for the specific Porsche models.

I’ve the Corsas on my 720s and I’m happy with them, I’m only missing a little bit off turn in precision but i will switch to CUP2 to see the difference and maybe after them to Trofeo R or better Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar 3R but this tyre isn’t available right now in Europe.

I am very happy with my Corsas, precision is amazing (razor sharp almost), drive and steering feel is go-kart like, very nice but it really depends on the driving style. If I push the car too hard, I get some mild understeer, so I try to drive a very clean line, which results in a very neutral driving behaviour.

Good Video also about tyres and track usage here from Robert Mitchell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0YWxSGTv78&t=2s. The CUP2R/ZP is with a good margin the quickest but also the fastest wearing tyre. Also important: Sidewall stiffness and that’s one of the weaker points on all Pirellis including Trofeo R.

Michelin certainly has gained some experience lately, their Cup tires are very good tires, also they worked closely with many car manufacturers like Porsche, Mercedes AMG and others, so definitely a very positive development.

--

the-missile:
    Whoopsy:

The Cup 2 R has just about the same real grip when new, but that layer wouldn't last, after that it;'s just a slightly used Cup 2.

Cup2 R also wear faster than Trofeo's Smiley

The super fast layer only last an out lap and a fast lap, maybe another fast lap and that's about it. 

Ultimate quali session tire.

--

I put the N2 spec Cup 2 tire (GT2RS spec) on my 918 and it certainly has a lot more grip than the original N0 spec eco Cup 2 tires that the 918 came with.  Tire technology has certainly improved over the years and while the Cup 2 all look the same from the outside, the compound and the sidewall stiffness varies from generation to generation. 

The N2 spec Cup 2 is a lot stiffer in sidewall construction than the N0 spec.  I can feel the bump a lot more now in the 918 than before. 

--

Weird thing for me was when Manthey set their best time on the ‘ring for the .1 3RS wearing those same N0 eco spec 918 tyres yes they musthave had a reason for that.

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

I have driven the CUP2 R a lot lately and there are a level up compared to the CUP 2 (price wise also). On a 1:30min track in the dry my guess is about 2 to 3 sec faster and lateral g is astonishing. In the wet with cold tires they are tricky and behave like one would drive on ice. Durability is worse than with the CUP2. I get 1.5 days out of a set and depending on the track have to switch left/right during the day; with the CUP2 it's more like 2.5 days. They work best when new, but don't degrade as much as I expected. I now have the Goodyear on the FI-R wheels, but have not driven them.

Will be interesting to read your feedback about the Goodyear . 
    Has anyone driven the Trofeo on track and public roads , and under wet conditions ? 
    i am hesitating to put those on now replacing the cup2

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

ive driven the Trofeo R on my 12C and also the CUP2. While it is a faster tyre than the CUP2, its not that much faster maybe 1 sek on a 1:30min track, the longevity is far worse and in rain they are nearly unusable as the normal CUP2 is a good tyre in the rain.

hunterone:

ive driven the Trofeo R on my 12C and also the CUP2. While it is a faster tyre than the CUP2, its not that much faster maybe 1 sek on a 1:30min track, the longevity is far worse and in rain they are nearly unusable as the normal CUP2 is a good tyre in the rain.

fully agree. CUP2 is very good on wet tracks, but one reason for this is the rougher tarmac. On public roads like the autobahn one has to be very very careful; hydroplaning is a serious issue for those tires

I always drive to the tracks. About 600km to go to any of them like the Ring , Spa , mugello   A bit less when I go to Paul Ricard. Have been driving at 80km|h when lots of rain on the highway , trucks passing me. No fun. 
    People always said the trofeo are worst in rain but that comparaison says they are better then the cup s. 
    So yes

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

we're talking about the same, very unpleasant experience. Still better to drive slowly than ending up under a truck

DaveGordon:

Weird thing for me was when Manthey set their best time on the ‘ring for the .1 3RS wearing those same N0 eco spec 918 tyres yes they musthave had a reason for that.

Interesting, because the 991.1 GT3RS came with the N1 Cup2 tires.  991.2 GT3RS/GT2RS came with the N2 Cup2 tires. 

--

schmoell:

I have driven the CUP2 R a lot lately and there are a level up compared to the CUP 2 (price wise also). On a 1:30min track in the dry my guess is about 2 to 3 sec faster and lateral g is astonishing. In the wet with cold tires they are tricky and behave like one would drive on ice. Durability is worse than with the CUP2. I get 1.5 days out of a set and depending on the track have to switch left/right during the day; with the CUP2 it's more like 2.5 days. They work best when new, but don't degrade as much as I expected. I now have the Goodyear on the FI-R wheels, but have not driven them.

How many hours of track driving do you include in the typical "day"?

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

unotaz:
    DaveGordon:

Interesting, because the 991.1 GT3RS came with the N1 Cup2 tires.  991.2 GT3RS/GT2RS came with the N2 Cup2 tires. 

According to Manthey the N0 are the faster tyre but just for one or two laps.

Grant:
    schmoell:

How many hours of track driving do you include in the typical "day"?

In km it's about 300 per day, in hours I don't know

Regarding Cup 2 tires; has anyone noticed that they can be slippery on the street in the dry? I've noticed that my car will slide out a little bit on aggressive turns at lower speeds, like during a hard left turn at a traffic list for example? At higher speeds with less aggressive wheel input they are great.

JoeRockhead:

Regarding Cup 2 tires; has anyone noticed that they can be slippery on the street in the dry? I've noticed that my car will slide out a little bit on aggressive turns at lower speeds, like during a hard left turn at a traffic list for example? At higher speeds with less aggressive wheel input they are great.

1. They need temperature.

2. They need temperature. Smiley

3. If there is a little bit of dust/whatever, the tires pick it up and the traction suffers.

I used semi-slicks on the road on two cars, drove them occasionally on friends' cars and I hate them for road driving. Not only in the wet (hydroplaning is a very very serious issue, many underestimate this because the Trofeo R for example is not bad in curves at slower speeds in the wet but when you do faster speeds (over 90/100 kph) on the Autobahn, good luck.

We often do some mountain road driving and the road Corsas I have on my car have proven to be much better than many of the semi-slicks the other cars are driving. The roads are often covered with some dust/dirt or even some mist in cold days, semi-slicks are really not your friend under these conditions.

--

JoeRockhead:

They can, especially second gear turns sometimes the back end steps out unexpectedly. What I've noticed is the rise of pressure during spirited road driving, mine usually go up to 2.3 front and 2.6 at the rear, when driven very hard I've also seen 2.4 and 2.7 respectively, then they get greasy. This is when starting with the factory recommended cold pressure.

When it's raining and water is beginning to stand I only drive 80km/h on the highway. I once drove 9 hours in pouring rain to the Redbull Ring on Tropheo Rs on my 997 GT3 RS Mk I, an experience I will never forget.

schmoell:

Thanks - my rear tires are not even lasting as long as yours (always wear through outer shoulder, even though I have more than 2 degrees negative camber Smiley)

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    schmoell:

Thanks - my rear tires are not even lasting as long as yours (always wear through outer shoulder, even though I have more than 2 degrees negative camber Smiley)

I had the same problem, but that is mostly gone after the RS has been set up. Rear camber is -2.8; front is -3.19. Obvious downside is that driving very fast on the Autobahn needs way more attention

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688998 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408922 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255623 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234882 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857746 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773706 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM