Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Drive Report: Testdriven the F430

I had the chance to test-drive the F430.

Overall impression: I'm overwhelmed... car drives like a cart, comfortable like a GT and has the sound of the hell.

Optic: the car I had was blue metallic. In the showroom they had a rosso corsa one, too. I definatley would prefer the red one. The blue one looks boring.. that's my opinion, I know... everyone feels different. I think the car looks much much much more better in reality than on the pictures. It really seems very aggressive, flat and fast... very nice! Interior makes a valuable feeling, everything is either leathered, carbon or with a high-value carpet - GREAT! I think, much better than the first Modenas, as they had still plastic A-Column... so this looks great now. The seats (standard) are great from the beginning. Don't need to be order Daytona (which the testcar had - I personally wouldn't take it, think the standard ones are looking more modern, while having the same shape). Only thing which could be better - seat adjustment on the backend is to high positioned!

Power: Incredibly power. Even on low turns car is blowing like hell. There is no turn, where the car has a lack. Great feeling - it's a aspirated engine, so there is no typical Turbo-Feeling... but its great as the car has more power than imaginable. I also had testdriven the Gallardo, but compared to the Lambo, the feeling in the F430 is much higher. The Gallardo was even a little boring for me, didn't feel much better than my sportkit-996 (subjective feeling). Had a maximum speed of 310 with the F430.. which is easy to get. Between 250 and 290 the car still delivers power spontaneously - very impressing. Its almost analog - throttle and speed!

Chassis / suspension: much harder than my 996 (M30), but still comfortable on the highway. Wouldn't be a big issue to take the car for a long trip, car makes a daily driver impression on me. Chassis/suspension feels like on a cart. Easy to drift with the back, easy handling. Low turn-point, easy to react and to get it back on the street (ESP helps!!). Didn't switch to race as it was a little slippy and I was to much frightened about crashing the car, so I tried to behave and drove slowly enough.

Shifting (F1): Best F1 shifting ever driven! Impressingly soft and fast. I know the F1 from the Modena, Gallardo as well of the M3. Even on full throttle, shifting is smoothly. If taking away some power you even don't feel anything between the shifts. VERY VERY... GREAT! In the city speeds, it is soft like a Mercedes Automatic. Great shifting! The different gears are close together, except of the 6th one, this one is compared to the 5th very long. for me, it could be closer together. The whole handling; back-gear, shifting down on corners or stop-yields... everything works great and couldn't be better! Excellent!

Best of the car: Definatley the sound! Much more deeper than the Modena. For me the perfect sound. Almost like a F1 car.

Buy or don't buy: still not clear for me. Car is perfect and I think the 150k Euro worth. I'm still battling with the feeling of my clients and my neighbors. Will think about over Christmas, than I make my decision!

Re: Drive Report: Testdriven the F430

great report!!
    Thanks

Appreciate your review.Very detailed and enlightning. Did not understand the neighbor comment.

BTW I ordered Blu Miraubu. It is a metallic like blue. A new color for Ferrari. Was that the color of the car you drove?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Did not understand the neighbor comment.

Its a german "thing", Nick.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Unfortunately, yes... (love those Xmas smileys)

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Make that paneuropean

Quote:
    Lars996 said:

Best of the car: Definatley the sound! Much more deeper than the Modena. For me the perfect sound. Almost like a F1 car.

Never thought of F1 as being a "deep" sound. More of a high-pitched scream. I haven't heard the 430 in person yet, but several written reports indicate the 360 has the more F1-like sound.

Gary

Great report thanks

phenomenal, thnx!!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    BTW I ordered Blu Miraubu. It is a metallic like blue. A new color for Ferrari. Was that the color of the car you drove?

I would suggest to see the car in reality before ordering that color. As far as I know, it was excatly this color. For me it doesn't fit to this car. Lots of details don't come out... to less contrast... compared to the red one its a pity.

L@rs

Thanks a lot Lars, great report mate!
    I love the 430 too. The only thing that I wouldn't be sure about is the F1 gearbox, I am sure it's phenomenal, but I love manual shifting so much, I am sure I would miss it. Just the thought of not begin able to modulate the clutch backs me off. With F1 gearbox, it's either on of off, none of that sensitiveness you can control with your left foot. And I love heel and toeing myself too!
    AS for your decision, go for it! The neighbours, not much you can do about, you already own a Porsche anyway, so the harm is done, and the clients, just use it as a week end car no? Or would it be an everyday car? I don't think a 430 should be an everyday car, although it could of course, it's just too... "precious" and not ideal for the small streets of european cities, not mentionning parking...

Quote:
    Fanch said:

I love the 430 too. The only thing that I wouldn't be sure about is the F1 gearbox

I understand the conventional gearbox should be available after the first batch of cars.

Gary

Quote:
    Lars996 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

I would suggest to see the car in reality before ordering that color. As far as I know, it was excatly this color. For me it doesn't fit to this car. Lots of details don't come out... to less contrast... compared to the red one its a pity.

[Email]L@rs[/Email]

It has been order. Feb. Production. Also, here in the US we do not have the luxury of looking at or test driving 430 models. Ferrari has not, to my knowledge, even provided brochures on the car.

Either you want it or you don't. Plenty of buyers are in line to order.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    It has been order. Feb. Production.

Can't wait to hear how you like it, sounds like you'll be getting one of the first ones. I'm on the list but don't swing the kind of weight you do. I think you'll love the color, BTW.

Gary

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    It has been order. Feb. Production.

Can't wait to hear how you like it, sounds like you'll be getting one of the first ones. I'm on the list but don't swing the kind of weight you do. I think you'll love the color, BTW.

Gary

Gary, thanks. I could have it in Feb. if I wanted to pay $9000 to air freight it. Sadly, as much as I want it, I will wait the additional 30-45 days.

@Fanch: the F430 would be my fun car, I have other daily drivers

@nberry: yes... I would wait the 30-45 days, too!

Wow nice drive... and the sound!!!

Quote:
    nberry said:Gary, thanks. I could have it in Feb. if I wanted to pay $9000 to air freight it. Sadly, as much as I want it, I will wait the additional 30-45 days.

WOW! $9k? When did Ferrari raise that cost? Last I checked this past November, the air frieght cost was $5500.

Thanks, Lars for the great report. You provide good insights for people who need a feel for how the car drives.
    I love your description. . . "has the sound of hell". I also found your thoughts on the exterior color VERY interesting for someone like me, who is about to order the car, without seeing it, or the colors, in person. You said blue did not reveal some of the details of the car. . . and that makes so much sense to me. I am trying to decide between Corsa Red, Titanium, Silverstone Grey, and Grigio Titanio. (I am attaching a photo that shows two greys. . I think the foreground grey is Titanium; does anyone recognize the grey on the left?)
    Thank you.
    Brent

Quote:
    yavapai said:
    I think the foreground grey is Titanium; does anyone recognize the grey on the left?

Actually, I'm pretty sure the foreground color is the straight-up silver, Argento, while the one on the left is Titanium.

Gary

Quote:
    nberry said:

Gary, thanks. I could have it in Feb. if I wanted to pay $9000 to air freight it. Sadly, as much as I want it, I will wait the additional 30-45 days.

So how do Ferraris get to the states? Where do they leave Europe? Who do they hitch a ride with? Which is their port of entry? So many questions...

Colors for the F430

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    yavapai said:
    I think the foreground grey is Titanium; does anyone recognize the grey on the left?

Actually, I'm pretty sure the foreground color is the straight-up silver, Argento, while the one on the left is Titanium.

Gary

Thanks, Gary.

Do you know any place on the web that might show the stock colors available for the F430?

Brent

Re: Colors for the F430

Hi Yavapai, thanks for your feedback! I would propably go for a Grigio Titanio, its a little darker than the silver in the front. I already loved that color at the Modena! BUT - in Germany its much easier to aftersell a red than a silver one. So in our market its a must to take a red one to protect the value of the car.

When will you get the car delivered?

L@rs

Quote:
    yavapai said:
    Do you know any place on the web that might show the stock colors available for the F430?

Brent

Not that I know of. You can drop into any Ferrari dealer and they will have samples (at least for the 360, and there aren't too many changes), but I don't know of any website with comprehensive color photos.

Gary

Quote:
    yavapai said:
    Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    yavapai said:

Gary

Thanks, Gary.

Brent

Here is an older site with some of the base colors. Other than the blu Mirabeu and greystone I do no think there are any new colors.

http://www.geocities.com/gtof360s/colours.html

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

So how do Ferraris get to the states? Where do they leave Europe? Who do they hitch a ride with? Which is their port of entry? So many questions...

All cars are shipped to New Jersey for the PDI. Then trucked to final destination.

Quote:
    nberry said:All cars are shipped to New Jersey for the PDI. Then trucked to final destination.

Except when they are flown. In which case they are sent to an airport near the dealer's location. In your case, assuming you are buying from a Southern California dealer, it would be LAX.

Quote:
    Lars996 said:
    Hi Yavapai, thanks for your feedback! I would propably go for a Grigio Titanio, its a little darker than the silver in the front. I already loved that color at the Modena! BUT - in Germany its much easier to aftersell a red than a silver one. So in our market its a must to take a red one to protect the value of the car.

When will you get the car delivered?

[Email]L@rs[/Email]

Thanks, Lars.
    But if you get red, what will your neighbors say? Will they think you are a spy from Italy?

I am trying to make a deal to get the 430 in six months.
    Ciao, Lars.

yavapai

nberry,

Thanks.
    That site really helps give me a base of color names.

Brent

ahhhhhhhhhhh those tailights....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803984 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448725 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266333 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90161 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886067 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834314 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM