Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

Leawood911:

The shorts are shitting themselves just a little today. 

Tesla (TSLA): Elon Musk says ‘very close’ to level 5 autonomy complete

Elon Musk keeps fueling the hype...

Topspeed:
    Leawood911:

The shorts are shitting themselves just a little today. 

Tesla (TSLA): Elon Musk says ‘very close’ to level 5 autonomy complete

Elon Musk keeps fueling the hype...

Maybe he is right... Smiley

I don't know, this TSLA hype is just insane, I am so happy I am not invested right now(!) but I wish I would have waited until now. Smiley Smiley Sorry, I did it again...can't help it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

We will see. 6 months left to 2021.

I think that I remain confident that we will have basic functionality for level 5 autonomy this year.

He doesn't say what basic functionality for level 5 autonomy means, this can mean a lot in my opinion.

Either a car is capable of level 5 autonomy or not, there is no such thing as basic or advanced, unless I am overlooking something. 

I would be careful with his claim, he is a clever guy.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

The older parts of this thread are already good reading. It keeps getting better. 

Leawood911:

The older parts of this thread are already good reading. It keeps getting better. 

They might read like most recent news in some months from now, again Smiley Let‘s wait and see...

Tesla introduces Robinhood customers to the joys of day trading...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

372DEAAA-8C89-4121-84B3-1A507E068BDB.jpeg

...enjoy the ride...  Smiley

E0E91D22-2B69-4A3F-A80B-C866E0342591.gif

...a quick reminder of Robinhood’s most popular stocks...  BF822CAF-50E5-4C47-9B23-F36F9B8F5A9C.gif

44856E30-B180-4FA4-95BE-FA9E1912F4A7.jpeg

Link: https://www.ccn.com/blame-robinhood-traders-bloated-electric-vehicle-stock-bubble/ 

https://www.faz.net/aktuell/technik-motor/technik/elektromobilitaet-forscher-sagen-elektroautos-bringen-nichts-fuers-klima-16847...

German scientists say EVs not helping with climate change, on the contrary (Sorry, German only).

--

They forgot Spotify, had a few of them and kicked them out at 275

RC:

https://www.faz.net/aktuell/technik-motor/technik/elektromobilitaet-forscher-sagen-elektroautos-bringen-nichts-fuers-klima-16847...

German scientists say EVs not helping with climate change, on the contrary (Sorry, German only).

Craziest thing ever if I still understand German. They are blaming the EV for polluting because the power comes from coal burning.  I give up. Insane logic. As though they refuse to understand that the EV is the only means of transport which has the capability to be emissions free, depending OBVIOUSLY on the source of power. 
    Do they expect people to be this simple minded? What a silly mess.  

I have to agree with you Leawood, with an EV the consumer can at least choose to have zero carbon for day to day driving... Manufacturing is still an issue though, especially batteries.

As is recycling!

Leawood911:
    RC:

Craziest thing ever if I still understand German. They are blaming the EV for polluting because the power comes from coal burning.  I give up. Insane logic. As though they refuse to understand that the EV is the only means of transport which has the capability to be emissions free, depending OBVIOUSLY on the source of power. 
    Do they expect people to be this simple minded? What a silly mess.  

From a Kansas City perspective, you are correct. That is absolutely crazed. However, if you are in a country that has already done away with nuclear power generators, and is well on the way to eliminating coal powered electricity generation; then the increased demand on the electric grid could force coal back into the picture. At which point it may make sense to equate coal burning electricity generation with electric vehicles.

Locally with about 84% of our electric power coming from coal and about another 12% from nuclear, neither of which cycle up and down very much or very fast, we still generate a big old mess of power at night that the re-charging of electric cars just captures away from otherwise being pure waste. An environmental freebie! derived from sunk costs.

German Court Rules Tesla’s Autopilot Claims Misled Consumers

The Center for Protection Against Unfair Competition, a German non-profit organization funded by companies and industry groups, filed a lawsuit against the electric car manufacturer recently. In the lawsuit, it was claimed that Tesla has promised German customers more than what its Autopilot feature can actually deliver.

In its ruling the Munich court banned Tesla Germany from including “full potential for autonomous driving” and “autopilot inclusive” messages in its advertising materials, including on its website.

Unfair. People have to read AND understand. FWIW I doubt any actual buyer has ever come forward and been surprised about what they paid for or expected full self driving working today. Lol. 
    This will have the effect of showing people how close Tesla really is (very much closer than anyone else) and how excellent the current autopilot functions are. 
    Looks to me like German courts trying to help German automakers. Stay tuned for more of this. 

Leawood911:

Unfair. People have to read AND understand. FWIW I doubt any actual buyer has ever come forward and been surprised about what they paid for or expected full self driving working today. Lol. 
    This will have the effect of showing people how close Tesla really is (very much closer than anyone else) and how excellent the current autopilot functions are. 
    Looks to me like German courts trying to help German automakers. Stay tuned for more of this. 

German law prohibits false claims in advertisements. That is the background of this.

MKSGR:
    Leawood911:

German law prohibits false claims in advertisements. That is the background of this.

No doubt.  When I was working in RF communications receivers in the 1970's, the Germans were extremely efficient in their pursuit of technical protectionism.  That is, the government institutions in charge of technical standards would craft type-acceptance regulations to favor German manufacturers at the expense of foreign competitors.  Barely legal, but very effective.  I can well imagine that Tesla has fallen into the same style of rabbit-hole.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

W8MM:
    MKSGR:
    Leawood911:

No doubt.  When I was working in RF communications receivers in the 1970's, the Germans were extremely efficient in their pursuit of technical protectionism.  That is, the government institutions in charge of technical standards would craft type-acceptance regulations to favor German manufacturers at the expense of foreign competitors.  Barely legal, but very effective.  I can well imagine that Tesla has fallen into the same style of rabbit-hole.

Tesla needs professional people to do the marketing. If you ask unexperienced guys to draft an advertisement these mistakes can happen, I guess Smiley

Tesla Allegedly Operating On Autopilot Slams Into Police Car And Ambulance

Reminder: Please #SlowDown & #MoveOver when you see flashing lights & vehicles stopped on the side of the road! Today, a Tesla rear-ended a patrol vehicle at the scene of an earlier crash on I-10 EB near Benson. Luckily, our sergeant wasn’t in the vehicle & wasn't hurt.

The impact caused the patrol vehicle to collide with the back of an ambulance, but fortunately the occupants of the ambulance weren’t injured. The driver of the Tesla had non-life-threatening injuries. Please AZ - #MoveOver! It’s the law & it helps everyone get home safely. (2/2)

Dept. of Public Safety

@Arizona_DPS·21 h

UPDATE: We can confirm the driver indicated to troopers the Tesla was on autopilot at the time of the collision. Additionally, the driver, a 23-year-old male from Irvine, CA, is being investigated for DUI. He remains in the hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

MKSGR:
    W8MM:
    MKSGR:
    Leawood911:

Tesla needs professional people to do the marketing. If you ask unexperienced guys to draft an advertisement these mistakes can happen, I guess Smiley

Actually Tesla does not advertise- have you seen any ads?  These are Tesla’s description of the functionality being misinterpreted. Just imagine once they do advertise using professional resources. 

Topspeed:

Tesla Allegedly Operating On Autopilot Slams Into Police Car And Ambulance

Reminder: Please #SlowDown & #MoveOver when you see flashing lights & vehicles stopped on the side of the road! Today, a Tesla rear-ended a patrol vehicle at the scene of an earlier crash on I-10 EB near Benson. Luckily, our sergeant wasn’t in the vehicle & wasn't hurt.

The impact caused the patrol vehicle to collide with the back of an ambulance, but fortunately the occupants of the ambulance weren’t injured. The driver of the Tesla had non-life-threatening injuries. Please AZ - #MoveOver! It’s the law & it helps everyone get home safely. (2/2)

Dept. of Public Safety

@Arizona_DPS·21 h

UPDATE: We can confirm the driver indicated to troopers the Tesla was on autopilot at the time of the collision. Additionally, the driver, a 23-year-old male from Irvine, CA, is being investigated for DUI. He remains in the hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

Couple of observations - the Tesla did well against the Tahoe. It looked like the Tesla veered to the left of the yellow line in order to hit the police car. In other words it does not look like the cop was in the lane of travel. Autopilot might hit something blocking a lane it is in but I don’t see it veering out of the lane to hit the police car. My guess is Tesla will review the crash data and find the human turned the wheel.  Many of these, once the data is in, are clearly human error.  We already know he was under the influence and using autopilot this way is obviously human error as well. At any rate, still a better feature to have than not have.  Obviously if you offer advanced features some will not understand the limitations. 
    It seems like all Tesla crashes are now doomed to be autopilot errors demonstrating how flawed the cars are. How did cars ever go to market in the first place? 

Call it what it is bud, dumb name for the dumber and dumber of America.

They named it 'autopilot', implying the car drives itself, but it doesn't. Despite ALL the warnings and such, those dumb customers aren't gonna believe it doesn't drive itself and still keep saying because it is called Autopilot, the car WILL drive itself. mail

Had Tesla used a better and more accurate name, say advanced cruise control, then nothing of these shenanigans would have happened. 

--

Leawood911:
    MKSGR:
    W8MM:
    MKSGR:
    Leawood911:

Actually Tesla does not advertise- have you seen any ads?  These are Tesla’s description of the functionality being misinterpreted. Just imagine once they do advertise using professional resources. 

You mean this from their users manual? I thought they used it to sell their products Smiley

Whoopsy:

Call it what it is bud, dumb name for the dumber and dumber of America.

They named it 'autopilot', implying the car drives itself, but it doesn't. Despite ALL the warnings and such, those dumb customers aren't gonna believe it doesn't drive itself and still keep saying because it is called Autopilot, the car WILL drive itself. mail

Had Tesla used a better and more accurate name, say advanced cruise control, then nothing of these shenanigans would have happened. 

You can disagree about the name of the feature. But you may not call an entire country dumb and dumber just because you feel like it without a little push back. 
    IMHO the people who are actually dumb are the ones still underestimating Tesla.  
    let’s talk about an EV called Turbo.  Is that false advertising?  Would you be sympathetic to someone who paid good money for a Taycan Turbo but then realized they failed to get one. It is one of the grand prizes in the Porsche lineup and they don’t give you one?  Lol.  It makes just as much sense EXCEPT the Tesla will drive itself much sooner than that that Turbo will compress air. 
    See how I did that without calling an entire nation dumb?

Ask the world about their general perception of Americans wink

Porsche have stated many times the turbo name is a trim level. Plus, they aren't the only one using the word turbo without haven't a turbo, You should be old enough to have one of those PCs with a turbo button. But alas, it's the Tesla people that want to focus on that word.

Btw, if we want to talk about compressing air, technically, the Taycan turbo is already compressing air when it's moving, the front end experiences high air pressure as the air can't get away fast enough, that's already compressing air, ask any fluid dynamics engineer. Smiley

--

After Germany, Tesla’s Autopilot Now Under Fire In The UK

Matthew Avery of Thatcham Research, who is also an Euro NCAP board member, said that he and the organizations for which he works have long “warned of the pitfalls to the Autopilot system,” which “is not a self-driving system. It is there to provide driver assistance, not to become an invisible chauffeur.”

While Tesla claims that all of their new models are already equipped with the necessary hardware needed in the future for full self-driving, the system currently utilizes an array of features that merely walk the line between Level 2 and Level 3 autonomy – such as adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping assistance and automated emergency braking.

Furthermore, Thatcham Research says that certain UK Tesla owners recently received an email that read: “Our records indicate that you haven’t upgraded your Model S… to Full Self-Driving Capability. You can upgrade now at a reduced price of £2,200.” – if true, this is troubling on multiple levels.

Whoopsy:

Porsche have stated many times the turbo name is a trim level. Plus, they aren't the only one using the word turbo without haven't a turbo, You should be old enough to have one of those PCs with a turbo button. But alas, it's the Tesla people that want to focus on that word.

Btw, if we want to talk about compressing air, technically, the Taycan turbo is already compressing air when it's moving, the front end experiences high air pressure as the air can't get away fast enough, that's already compressing air, ask any fluid dynamics engineer. Smiley

--

Nothing to add to this insulting, silly and pointless discussion. 
    Double down on your proclamation. Any idea what people who hold those types of stereotypes are? 🤔 

Technically the Tesla does a lot more autopilot than a Taycan compressed air. See how stupid that sounds. 

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:

--

Nothing to add to this insulting, silly and pointless discussion. 
    Double down on your proclamation. Any idea what people who hold those types of stereotypes are? 🤔 

Technically the Tesla does a lot more autopilot than a Taycan compressed air. See how stupid that sounds. 

Elon and his lemmings. Smiley

--

Taycan is not selling in CH either - apparently only 14% of their expectations here - they just told me now they are getting cars pushed on them from the factory......- at least in new colors - hahahah

Hopefully an exceptional occurance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GRO-sNuquM

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761645 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434942 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260268 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257384 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80869 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871750 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807087 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM