Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Boxster Advertisement

Is this really necessary? I mean who they want to sell the Boxster to, some gladiators or the Huns?
    This is ridiculous in my opinion.

This is one of several pictures taken for a new Boxster book. Why not using a James Dean "theme" something related to track racing or something nice regarding driving in the sun. Just a few examples. Gladiators? Ouch.

Re: Boxster Advertisement

Maybe its for a gangsta-rap video?

Quote:
    RC said:
    ...Why not using a James Dean "theme"...

You mean something like this RC?
    Don't know where it originally came from, found it on flat-6.net. here
    -Joost-

BTW, there are some nice pics in the book as well, I think.. at least, if RC and I are talking about the same book...
    I personally like this pic...
    -Joost-

Lately the Boxster has been saddled with a perception of being a sissy car. In part it started with with the Sopranos but others felt it was not a true Porsche. Thus the picture of Gladiators or Hun's may be directed toward dealing with this issue.

BTW, for those of you who want to flame me for these accurate comments don't waste your time. I happen to be a big fan of the Boxster and find the above image unfair.I would own one but for the fact it is underpowered.

Nberry, you're right on the money when it comes to the "sissy car" tag that's been put on the Boxster by some.
    I recently read a danish car magazine reviewing the 987. The headline read "Miss Fitness". How much more hairdresser-gay can it get?
    Porsche themselves -on the other hand- goes in a totally different direction. Watch the Boxster promo spots on the german homepage and you will see a spot where 90% of it is about "the legacy" (read: happy young couple riding a 356) or happy children and sh*t like that.
    Worst of all, it's been voice-overed by a 124-year old german geezer, who sounds like he's about to drop dead.
    And now Gladiators?? WTF are they thinking?
    I like the "James Dean grave"-thing...even though is goes without saying, that it's very over the top in many ways. But it does have the edge, it puts that "i know what theyre talking about"-smile on your face and it's intelligent and witty. Remember the BMW ads from the late 80ies/early 90ies? They had some pretty assertive and intelligent ads. Made you feel like "people who drive a BMW..know. The rest have no clue."-

Wheater the Boxster should be marketed as an entrylevel Porsche or not, I wouldnt know. Personally I think it can hold it's own, and doesnt need to be compared to the 911 at all. In fact, it's probably better for the 911 if it does NOT get compared to the Boxster
    But I realize that there are som concerns in the market to be aware of.

I just had an idea:
    Why dont WE make an ad campaign for the new Boxster??
    Hell, we know more about the car than any ad agency ever will!
    (Besides...I know a few advertising tricks myself )

Let me know

I have no idea what that pic. with the gladiators is about but it is good photoshop work in the background and the car looks great in black. The pic Joost likes is really a poor photoshop job, the car is floating in the air, the light is very harsh around the edge and the car does not look that great, IMO.

Photo comments aside, I think the Boxster should hold its own or die. Sorry to be drastic, I love the Boxster, but I feel if Porsche wants to talk about the Boxster in terms of heritage from 550 etc, they have to drop the entry-level poor-man Porsche tag the Boxster currently carries. I don't think both visions are compatible, either they develop the Boxster to its full potential and promote it as what it is, a great roadster, or sooner or later they will have to stop producing the Boxster because it will damage the brand.

I don't know in other countries, but in Spain, there was this year a Boxster add campaign that read something like, "And you thought you would never own a Porsche." I just don't see how such an add can be combined with the heritage campaign that makes references to cars such as the 550.

If you own a fully equipped Boxster S, you are talking about over 70K Euro, which is not far from Carrera territory. Most people that have paid that amount of money will not be happy with the car-for-all campaign run by Porsche and the tag of poor-man's Porsche . On the other side, both cars, especially 986 and 996 share a lot of parts, interior, panels, lights, in that case, if you own a 911 and paid anywhere from 90K to over 150K Euro, I don't think you would be happy knowing your car looks so similar to the poor-man's Porsche car you just saw advertised

I don't think there's an easy solution because whatever Porsche does, they will upset someone, I do think however, the key to their success apart from continuing to make great cars, is to protect the value of the Porsche brand.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:

Well, I prefer watching Snoop Dogg next to a Boxster than a Gladiator. I'm 39 and I don't feel "attracted" by such a picture, I really wonder to whom they want to sell the Boxster. To bald headed, 50-year old, Ex-Mr.Universums?

For me, the Boxster represents a Porsche for younger people, younger than 911 customers. This doesn't mean I expect to see only 20-year olds in a Boxster but I definetely wouldn't want to drive one at 60.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:

Well, I prefer watching Snoop Dogg next to a Boxster than a Gladiator. I'm 39 and I don't feel "attracted" by such a picture, I really wonder to whom they want to sell the Boxster. To bald headed, 50-year old, Ex-Mr.Universums?

For me, the Boxster represents a Porsche for younger people, younger than 911 customers. This doesn't mean I expect to see only 20-year olds in a Boxster but I definetely wouldn't want to drive one at 60.

Steady on RC my Boxster arrives 2 months before my 50th birthday and I am bald already. So what is the age profile for a Cayenne?

Quote:
    RC said:

May be they're trying to set a Science-Fiction theme for the younger generation kind of like Xbox or Video game scene type?

Too bad price tag is different than playstation or x-box

the boxster is an entry porsche, thats what porsche refers to it.

many people move to a 911 after a few years of boxster ownership.

Re: Laughable Pictures

Usually, but not in this case obviously,marketing strategies inlude images that try to evoke a positive response fromm the viewer, not one of bewilderment.

These ones look like production stills from a Fellini film.
    I don't see how anyone could claim that they resonate with
    987 audience sentiments for those non Porsche buyers aspiring to own one or to reinforce those who now own one to buy another.

What a waste of Euros. Maybe their photo editor drives a Ka.

Are you bald-headed? C'mon, don't take my comments too seriously. I'm 39 and in 11 years I'm 50 too.
    I was just repeating what a young girl told me when she saw my 997. The comment was somehow "thanks god this is no Boxster, you would look ridiculous in it". My wife has the same opinion and a lot of women drive a Boxster here in Germany. But don't get me wrong: I consider the Boxster to be a true Porsche, especially the new 987 is very refined and a pleasure to drive. It is just that typical "gossip" talk people talk and my wife was actually shocked when a good friend, he drives a Porsche too, told her that her SLK 32 AMG is a "hairdresser's Porsche". I think this is a german thing...

The Cayenne is a family car in my opinion. I would have never bought one without having kids. And the Cayenne is actually a "soccer moms" car according to Porsche's setup of the throttle/shifting response and their thousands excuses.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Are you bald-headed? C'mon, don't take my comments too seriously. I'm 39 and in 11 years I'm 50 too.

RC, no offence meant and no offence taken. Just a twist on English and Danish sense of humour. I would not say that here in the UK that the Boxster is seen as a girlie car or a playboy car. Unlike the Mercedes SLK or SL which is definitely seen as a girl car.

Hmm, I'm 35, look like this and I drive a Boxster S (260hp).

But seriously, all that crap about image. I kind a like the "understatement" of the Boxster. People driving an Opel OPC and seriously try to challenge you

I do must of my fun driving here in the Swiss alps and for that terrain the Boxster is just perfect. The only car I fear there is a Lotus Elise
    Zürich

Quite agree. Image does not worry me at all. Another thirtysomething driving a Boxster. Do Porsche offer a creche for Boxster drivers while their cars are in for service?

Creche

But Chapelgate do have some nice deals with the Dormy hotel next door - use of facilities etc. whilst your car is in...

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Creche

But Chapelgate do have some nice deals with the Dormy hotel next door - use of facilities etc. whilst your car is in...

No they don't - the Dormy is being demolished to make way for a major housing development. Site sold for Pounds15m, I hear.

OK, "did" have some nice deals with the Dormy. more change huh?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777588 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441850 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262832 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261042 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85318 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5611 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880724 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816137 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM