Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020)

What’s with the obsession with size and weight? The performance is second to none. Weight and size means safer. If you want to criticize, discuss price and depreciation. 

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

Two words Nick, handling and agility. More important than price and depreciation 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Recht-Verengte-Fahrspuren-474x316-e1ec06d5aa9d4bb1.jpg

Car-size may be not a problem in the USA, but her in Europe you really have problems in public parking areas with these big cars and also our roads are much smaller than in the states - f.e. the left lane on construction sites at the Autobahn are often only 2 metres wide - so you can´t pass trucks with big cars and have to follow them for a long time.

And regarding weight - you stated here often that you don´t care, but other drivers can feel the benefit of lighter cars - a totally different driving.

Blueflame

Some people are criticising  the current 992 Carrera/S for being too big.

They measure L 4519mm W 1852mm.

By the comparison the first water cooled Carrera 4S of 20 years ago is  L 4435mm W 1829mm. Difference of 84mm in length and only 23mm in width. This hardly makes the new car gargantuan  and comparable to a limousine, especially if we take into account the current safety regulations and customer demands for equipment..

The 992 might look larger than it actually is because the middle section between the wheelarches  is comparatively wider than previous models. But the extremities are well within limits.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:

By the comparison the first water cooled Carrera 4S of 20 years ago is  L 4435mm W 1829mm. Difference of 84mm in length and only 23mm in width. This hardly makes the new car gargantuan  and comparable to a limousine, especially if we take into account the current safety regulations and customer demands for equipment..

The 992 might look larger than it actually is because the middle section between the wheelarches  is comparatively wider than previous models. But the extremities are well within limits.

--

I agree. While "smaller is better" is certainly correct one has to realize that all competing products have grown in size and weight as well. So, in comparison the 992 turbo s is not big. It is much smaller and lighter than most high-performance GT cars. Only the McLaren is much lighter. But you don't get the complete package there.

Also, handling is better than ever before...

Thus, I would not complain too much. But then: if the turbo was lighter and smaller with everything else unchanged I would be even happier, of course Smiley

The turbo is a DD car. Yet, on a track it would hold its own against most agile handling sport cars. 

Weight is important if the sole objective of the car is track performance. OTOH, if someone is going to spend $300,000 on a DD, price and depreciation should be a consideration. 

https://carbuzz.com/news/porsche-lied-about-new-911-turbos-performance

--

nberry:

The turbo is a DD car. Yet, on a track it would hold its own against most agile handling sport cars. 

Weight is important if the sole objective of the car is track performance. OTOH, if someone is going to spend $300,000 on a DD, price and depreciation should be a consideration. 

I agree. Also, even the 720s (to name one of the few high-performance cars that is quite a bit lighter) is just 200kg less heavy. Of ourse, that is an advantage. But it still weights around 1440kg... Still too much to be called really light weight...  In case of the turbo you get a lot (!) for these 200kg more.

Out of the weight difference 70-90kg is the weight of the Porsche Traction Management  AWD system. In some locations the need for AWD cannot be understated for all weather use, in the case of such powerful cars.

--

blueflame:

Recht-Verengte-Fahrspuren-474x316-e1ec06d5aa9d4bb1.jpg

Car-size may be not a problem in the USA, but her in Europe you really have problems in public parking areas with these big cars and also our roads are much smaller than in the states - f.e. the left lane on construction sites at the Autobahn are often only 2 metres wide - so you can´t pass trucks with big cars and have to follow them for a long time.

And regarding weight - you stated here often that you don´t care, but other drivers can feel the benefit of lighter cars - a totally different driving.

Blueflame

Oh god Smiley Those!!!

I went though quite a bit of those with the GT2RS with the magnesium wheels Smiley

And the Exclusive the year before. 

Not too bad when I drove though those with the 911R the year before that. It isn't that much narrower by measurements, but from the driver seat, it feels like there is a bigger difference. 

--

Gents,

How long does the production of the vehicle take on the production line and thereafter getting shipped outside of Europe?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the options you ordered. Most cars are built in a day assuming supplies are available. Shipping varies depending on its being shipped. It’s four weeks to the US once it placed on  boat. I’m sure it’s a much shorter time to Kuwait. 

BTW, once your order is accepted, you’ll know production dates and estimated delivery dates.

--

BBBB:

Gents,

How long does the production of the vehicle take on the production line and thereafter getting shipped outside of Europe?

Thanks in advance.

once your order is confirmed, you will have a production date.

the shipment to Middle East can be up to 8 weeks after completion date.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    BBBB:

Gents,

Thanks in advance.

once your order is confirmed, you will have a production date.

the shipment to Middle East can be up to 8 weeks after completion date.

If you have Exclusive options , that will delay the completion of your car by a few days to a few weeks.

But if you got your final production date, that should be included 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

I was told that the car went to the production line on 25.06.2020 and I so have exclusive options on the car so I sont know how long before it goes out for shipping?!

thanks for your feedback 

BBBB:

I was told that the car went to the production line on 25.06.2020 and I so have exclusive options on the car so I sont know how long before it goes out for shipping?!

thanks for your feedback 

If Exclusive isn't too backed up with production, your car would have exited production and validation this past Monday or so and went to Exclusive, and depending on your customization it would have taken a day or longer to finish up. Then off to the waiting lot for transport to port. Think Middle East cars are also shipped on boats, so that depends on ship schedule and the wait could be a day to a couple weeks. After than maybe a week or so on the boat. a few more days at port customs then shipped off to your dealership. 

End of this month or sooner. 

--

Whoopsy:
    BBBB:

thanks for your feedback 

If Exclusive isn't too backed up with production, your car would have exited production and validation this past Monday or so and went to Exclusive, and depending on your customization it would have taken a day or longer to finish up. Then off to the waiting lot for transport to port. Think Middle East cars are also shipped on boats, so that depends on ship schedule and the wait could be a day to a couple weeks. After than maybe a week or so on the boat. a few more days at port customs then shipped off to your dealership. 

Sorry to ruin the party but the boat from Bremerhaven to Kuwait via Suez is 6765 nautical miles and at 20 knots direct (which I am sure is not the case) it will take close to 14 days. In reality it is likely more around 20-25 days for this part alone. It is anyway to hot to driver here in ME now Smiley

tso:

Sorry to ruin the party but the boat from Bremerhaven to Kuwait via Suez is 6765 nautical miles and at 20 knots direct (which I am sure is not the case) it will take close to 14 days. In reality it is likely more around 20-25 days for this part alone. It is anyway to hot to driver here in ME now Smiley

on top of that, the boat stops on all seaports; Egypt, Jordania, Yemen, Oman, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, KSA then Koweit. Patience is needed a bit. mid August at your dealer sounds reasonable.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2ojCqhqGZ8

tso:
    Whoopsy:
    BBBB:

thanks for your feedback 

Ooo, that seems to take even longer than the trans Atlantic route from Germany to North America. 

--

MKSGR:
    RC:

Real world 100 to 200 kph real life (Auto Top NL) test data from various cars (interesting figure for the 992 Turbo S):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YI-Q8I_rjruFLja2AU448NsNX6hCU5JQKp_4mdUR9VQ/htmlview

Comparing it to my Huracan Performante, the 992 Turbo S is 0.04 seconds faster...from 100 to 200 kph. Not very impressive.

From 0-250 kph, things look a little bit better for the 992 Turbo S: The 992 Turbo S is 1.03 seconds faster.  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

A friend just mentioned to me that in both tests - the AB Sportscar test quoted above and the video from the NL - they indeed tested high-speed acceleration in Sports Plus mode, as I already speculated in my above post. If you look at the videos you can see "SportsPlus" was activated... Thus, these acceleration times are pretty much understated. The rear wing in Sports Plus is much steeper even with the 992 turbo than with the earlier generation. The aerodynamics in this mode are optimized for track use - not for high-speed use.

If you repeat the same test (200-300, 0-300 etc.) in Sports mode (or in Normal with the boost button) you will achieve between 24-25s, I would expect, based on my experience with the 991.2 Smiley

This video now confirms the above speculation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlmE3yEoYGc

In the last part they repeat the acceleration test with retracted spoiler (i.e. no longer in SportPlus mode). 200-300 improves approx. 1.5s then, 300-330 by approx. 7s.

In summary, 0-300 is approx. 24s (corrected for speedo error) Smiley

930 and 992 Turbo S

WONDERFUL!!! angelkiss

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

MKSGR:
    reginos:

--

I agree. While "smaller is better" is certainly correct one has to realize that all competing products have grown in size and weight as well. So, in comparison the 992 turbo s is not big. It is much smaller and lighter than most high-performance GT cars. Only the McLaren is much lighter. But you don't get the complete package there.

Also, handling is better than ever before...

Thus, I would not complain too much. But then: if the turbo was lighter and smaller with everything else unchanged I would be even happier, of course Smiley

Not just Porsche adding kilos..

1997 v 2020

IMG_5478.jpg

992 Turbo

580hp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGObN2F6Hbg

SportAuto test in tomorrow's print:

McLaren Senna: 1.40,8 min
    Manthey-Porsche GT2 RS MR: 1.43,5 min
    Ferrari 488 Pista: 1.45,9 min
    a-workx-Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991.2): 1.46,0 min
    Lamborghini Aventador SVJ: 1.47,3 min
    Porsche 911 Turbo S (992): 1.47,8 min
    Mercedes-AMG GT R Pro: 1.48,0 min
    McLaren 600 LT: 1.48,9 min
    Lamborghini Huracán Evo: 1.49.0 min
    Porsche 991.2 Turbo S (P Zero Corsa): 1.50,0 min
    Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S 4-Türer: 1.52,8 min

Excellent result, the turbo s was tested on standard tires... Nearly all cars on the above list were tested on sports tires kiss

Watched the video, the Turbo S is a rocket between bends

--

1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2018 Mini JCW

MKSGR:

SportAuto test in tomorrow's print:

McLaren Senna: 1.40,8 min
    Manthey-Porsche GT2 RS MR: 1.43,5 min
    Ferrari 488 Pista: 1.45,9 min
    a-workx-Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991.2): 1.46,0 min
    Lamborghini Aventador SVJ: 1.47,3 min
    Porsche 911 Turbo S (992): 1.47,8 min
    Mercedes-AMG GT R Pro: 1.48,0 min
    McLaren 600 LT: 1.48,9 min
    Lamborghini Huracán Evo: 1.49.0 min
    Porsche 991.2 Turbo S (P Zero Corsa): 1.50,0 min
    Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S 4-Türer: 1.52,8 min

Excellent result, the turbo s was tested on standard tires... Nearly all cars on the above list were tested on sports tires kiss

lap time is not about what can be achieved in 1 lap, the good part of all other cars listed there as you can repeat this over and over again; Senna, GT2RS, GT3RS, (maybe Pista) & 600LT are for laptime. the rest is 1 lap show off.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Topspeed:

992 Turbo

580h

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGObN2F6Hbg

At €180.000 this is not a bad offering. The Turbo S is €32.000 more expensive but in practical terms is it worth that extra?

The "Relentless Performance" slogan that Porsche have chosen is very appropriate for what this car is all about. It may not be the fastest in numerical terms or the most striking visually but it is a sports car that can eat miles continuously at very high speed at any time, any road and any weather.

Smiley The Nordschleife is one of the best indicators of what a car can do, even better if there is more than one lap. 

In the end however, it is the driver who is fast, not the car. Smiley Smiley

I am surprised that Porsche went with the 580 hp power figure but the car delivers good performance.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

Smiley The Nordschleife is one of the best indicators of what a car can do, even better if there is more than one lap. 

In the end however, it is the driver who is fast, not the car. Smiley Smiley

NordSchleife is indeed a better indicator when you don't do it like Lambo by cutting and editing the lap here and there Smiley (was an easy one, I couldn't resist)

the driver is surely putting the car to its ultimate potential but still the car plays an important role.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM