Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

F430 ordering process in the UK

Can any of you guys help me out? I put down a deposit on an F430 Coupe just over a week ago and was initially quoted a lead time of 4/5 years (based on 130 confirmed orders in hand). My dealer is Graypaul of Nottingham. Now when I visited them this weekend, they say they made a mistake and they actually have 210 orders for the 430 (roughly split 50:50 between Coupe and Spyder). It seems that many of these orders are from people who have placed an order for 'both' Coupe and Spyder to see which one comes first. Presumably they will cancel one of these orders? or perhaps not?

The dealer suggested that as a safety measure I should send in a Letter of Intent for the next model...! That's ridiculous, I've no idea what the next model will be like and whether I might wish to buy it. I'm wondering if the dealer is implying to me that it's unlikely that I will get a F430.

This might seem normal to those of you that have bought in to the whole Ferrari culture, but it's exactly the sort of thing that's steered me towards Porsche during the past 15 years. I'm not prepared to kiss ass or suck-up to a Ferrari dealer and try and join a club, if that's what it takes then I will happily resign myself to never owning a Ferrari, but what I don't like is being messed around. It seems very difficult to get any clear answers abnout the chance of my order being fulfilled in a reasonable timeframe, or if at all.

Can someone please share their views on this situation, is it normal? should I try and shop around and buy elsewhere? I've got friends who are buying F430s from a dealer in Austria and getting theirs in early 2006. That's the kind of time-period mentioned in Autocar a month ago for cars ordered in the UK. Are they very wrong?

I ordered an F430 because it's the first Ferrari I've actually liked (ever) and the performance, looks and sound really appeal. I'm not a 'fan' so to speak of Ferrari, I've found the driving experience of those I've driven over the years less than I had hoped for, and yet this time it could be different.

Yet again I've found the dealers slightly arrogant, perhaps stuck-up and espousing the attitude that suggests they are doing me a favour.

Can any of you guys confirm the state of play with the F430 order book and what I should expect.

Many thanks,

Re: F430 ordering process in the UK

That BS "normal" in the US Steve, but I didn't think it would be spreading over this side of the pond

And the more it spreads, its is giving "Ferrari" itself a bad image because of the dealers who are the ones doing this, not the make itself. I wonder what Ferrari (the company) thinks about this...

That's why I normally buy Porsche. I've got 997 GT3 on order and wondering if I should just cancel my F430 and stay with what I know.

The F430 looks to be a great sportcar, so it would be a pity if a "dealer" turns you or any other off from it

Maybe its not as bad as in the US, and there are still some "honorable" dealers in UK, I would still search around. Its sad, a "car salesman" should not be the one who makes the choice of if you want a F430 or a 997GT3 for yourself

Steve your problem is that you are new to buying Ferrari and it is a very limited production car. Because the demand is so great you are competing with long time customers/clients of Ferrari and you will have to wait a long time to get a new one. However since you put a deposit down I would think that at least you are assured of getting one albeit 4-5 years.

You might want to consider buying a used one within a year though you probably will pay a premium for it. The question you have to ask yourself is it worth the price.

Don't know how relevant this would be to your situation, but I'll give it a try anyway.

As far as I've understood, EU law say that any manufacturer/dealer inside the EU region has to offer Right-hand drive cars in any given country inside the union. And if it is the ass-kissing and games you don't want to play, a quick search found some F430 advertised with a premium of 10k (ouch!) but then for delivery in the 1st quartal of 2005, so if you could get this one with RHD, and given that you want it enough to pay the dealer that extra money, it should be possible to get a deal at least something close to the one mentioned..

Don't know to much about this whole Ferrari system though, how much they'll be willing to help you with RHD and everything and it is indeeed a long shot. But 4/5 years of waiting time and the (sudden) rush of new people above you seems like it might be worth a check to me, especially if you have friends doing the same thing..

My german is nearly nonexistent, but there are a couple of readily-available 430s at mobile.de, for prices starting at 150.000EUR..
    http://tinyurl.com/457a4

Thanks guys but I'm not prepared to pay a premium for any car. I've done that several times in the past and I've always regretted acting in haste.

nberry, I realise that the Ferrari is a limited production car, most of the cars I buy are too, but that has nothing to do with it. Some manufacturers adopt the policy of only opening the order books when a car is officially announced. In the F430's case this would have meant late August/early September when it was launched at the Paris Motor Show. However that's not what happened in the F430's case (or perhaps any Ferrari). Clients are being encouraged to send in a letter of intent for the next model (without knowing what it is or when it will be produced) and then when it is announced there are already several years allocation set-aside for people that may or may not want the car. This means that genuine customers are denied the opportunity to buy a car. I personally will not be complicit in this process because I regard it as unethical, I won't stick my name down for half a dozen potential cars that might be produced during the next decade just so I can have first refusal.

There seems to be two types of reaction to this situation, there are those that seem have an almost masochistic regard for themselves, repeating the mantra that Ferrari are an exclusive brand and the pain and anguish in buying one is part of the suffering required to be included in such a privelleged club. Then there are those that have worked hard to get where they are in life and just won't take any cr*p from someone else no matter how 'special' they claim to be.

I've never subscribed to the fantasy that Ferrari are in a different league to other manufacturers, they're a car company, just like any other, albeit with a strong heritage but then the same is true of Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley etc...

I like the F430 (and would choose to spend my money to buy one) but I'm not prepared to change my religion to own one. It's a car.

Seeems to me like you've chosen a good aproach on the situation, and would on my own inexperienced part belive that your best bet is to search for a serious dealer somewhere else in Europe. Some of the known ones in Germany, Austria or Switzerland should be worth a phonecall, and anything seems to be better than the deal you got at the moment anyway..

I belive the way to get rid of those way to long waiting lists is to introduce a higher and a non refundable down payment PER CAR you want to order. That way only SERIOUS buyers would remain and I seriously doubt there would be any more people that are on the lists at more than one dealer or for more than one car.

I wonder how Ferrari could continue to live without increasing their production figures in a very near future if I understand the increasing number of unhappy (potential) customers.

Indeed, I recently discussed this situation with someone in the familly whose job is selling insurances for luxury cars. He's got a quite a large customer portofolio. His customers are more and more complaining about the long wait to get a new Ferrari, and even those who already are Ferrari customers !

If at the time customers were ready to wait to get a Ferrari, today they are less patient apparently. And some of his customers have canceled their orders, as examples, to go from F430 to a Gallardo, or from a 575 GTC to a Vanquish S, etc.

We had a large dealership here that finally stopped representing Ferrari. Apparently, the main reason is that they were more taking orders rather than delivering cars. In such a situation, it is quite difficult for an independent dealer to conduct a fruitful business and even survive.

Also, I have difficulties to believe that a 4 to 5 years waiting time reflects the real situation on the market. Looking at the production figures and the normal level of demand on the largest markets for Ferrari, a 2 years waiting time seems more realistic.

Last but not least, it is also difficult to believe in Ferrari's policy to serve loyal customers first in order to prevent "an inflation on the prices on the second-hand car market" (Montezelomo dixit). Precisely, looking at the second-hand market only a few months after the launch of a new model and you are convinced that customers are no so loyal. Even an Enzo has never been a challenge to find if you accept to pay a premium.

Sounds really like the level of demand is artificially maintained by Ferrari.

By the way, I got my 997 in three months time from order to delivery...

Any business that wishes to survive must replenish it's customer base on a regular basis. I'm told that Ferrari customers at my dealership are 85% repeat customers, which perhaps creates the complacency, but customers eventually pass on or move to another brand.

I would have been prepared to pay a higher non-refundable deposit if I knew it was possible to get a car in 2 years. 18 months to 2 years seems a reasonable wait, perhaps less for a car like the F430 that's only recently been announced. But I suspect the reason for the wait is more to do with servicing existing customers and entertaining their extravagent wishes. For a dealer to openly tell me that several customers have more than one car on order shows how little they understand (or care) about other customers.

Quote:
    SteveD said:
    Thanks guys but I'm not prepared to pay a premium for any car. I've done that several times in the past and I've always regretted acting in haste.

nberry, I realise that the Ferrari is a limited production car, most of the cars I buy are too, but that has nothing to do with it. Some manufacturers adopt the policy of only opening the order books when a car is officially announced. In the F430's case this would have meant late August/early September when it was launched at the Paris Motor Show. However that's not what happened in the F430's case (or perhaps any Ferrari). Clients are being encouraged to send in a letter of intent for the next model (without knowing what it is or when it will be produced) and then when it is announced there are already several years allocation set-aside for people that may or may not want the car. This means that genuine customers are denied the opportunity to buy a car. I personally will not be complicit in this process because I regard it as unethical, I won't stick my name down for half a dozen potential cars that might be produced during the next decade just so I can have first refusal.

There seems to be two types of reaction to this situation, there are those that seem have an almost masochistic regard for themselves, repeating the mantra that Ferrari are an exclusive brand and the pain and anguish in buying one is part of the suffering required to be included in such a privelleged club. Then there are those that have worked hard to get where they are in life and just won't take any cr*p from someone else no matter how 'special' they claim to be.

I've never subscribed to the fantasy that Ferrari are in a different league to other manufacturers, they're a car company, just like any other, albeit with a strong heritage but then the same is true of Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley etc...

I like the F430 (and would choose to spend my money to buy one) but I'm not prepared to change my religion to own one. It's a car.

The situation you present is something I have not experienced. Clearly there is something going on with your dealer.

Nevertheless, buying a new Ferrari for the first time requires patience and working through the system. The reality is this is a different supply and demand vehicle and your previous experience with limited production cars will not be the same buying a Ferrari for the first time.

Whenever a new Ferrari model is introduced that is very much in demand, the distribution system receives a lot of criticism. They know and expect it. Not much can be done.

Unless you are willing to make a serious effort beyond walking into a dealer and ordering a new Ferrari for the first time, you probably will not get one.Porsche's are readily available; buy one and save your religion.

when i walked to my local F dealer and asked for the F430 about half a year ago (back then known as "the modena successor") and he said "ok you may order one, but you have to put down a deposit" i was quite surprised. i've ordered some expensive, non-F cars in my life, but NEVER had to pay a deposit. the next surprise came when i told my dealer that i'd probably want the F430 in white color. he rejected it. no white for this guy. rosso, grigio, giallo -- but no bianco avus.

i really felt badly treated somehow, no one at porsche would ever ask me to put down a deposit or that some color from the official palette isn't allowed.

but when reading this and lon's thread about F430 ordering in UK and US, i feel like i've been treated like a king in comparison.

but that doesn't make it any better IMO. even if demand is high, there's no need for F dealers to be that snobbish. pride goes before a fall.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    when i walked to my local F dealer and asked for the F430 about half a year ago (back then known as "the modena successor") and he said "ok you may order one, but you have to put down a deposit" i was quite surprised.

What wrong to put a deposit when ordering a car?

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    when i walked to my local F dealer and asked for the F430 about half a year ago (back then known as "the modena successor") and he said "ok you may order one, but you have to put down a deposit" i was quite surprised. i've ordered some expensive, non-F cars in my life, but NEVER had to pay a deposit. the next surprise came when i told my dealer that i'd probably want the F430 in white color. he rejected it. no white for this guy. rosso, grigio, giallo -- but no bianco avus.

i really felt badly treated somehow, no one at porsche would ever ask me to put down a deposit or that some color from the official palette isn't allowed.

but when reading this and lon's thread about F430 ordering in UK and US, i feel like i've been treated like a king in comparison.

but that doesn't make it any better IMO. even if demand is high, there's no need for F dealers to be that snobbish. pride goes before a fall.

It's not the dealer that asks the deposit, it's FERRARI itself, and I think it's normal,
    Here in Europe it's 15000 euro

but refusing a color choise, never heard of that !!!

Quote:
    zzboba said:

I suspect whether it is buying a Ferrari or Porsche, your buying experience is directly related to the dealership you are buying from. When I bought my first Porsche the normal deposit was $1000. However because I was ordering a race yellow the dealership wanted $10,000.

On the other hand, I have NEVER put down a deposit in buying a Ferrari.

Quote:
    What wrong to put a deposit when ordering a car?

it's not wrong, it's just not common in germany as it seems to be in US + ROW.

Quote:

but refusing a color choise, never heard of that !!!

very strange. but somehow they expect white cars to go into export, they probably can't believe that someone in europe really wants to drive a white ferrari

i don't care too much any more, since i'll spec my F430 in grigio titanio even if avus would be possible.

In the UK we put down a Pounds5k deposit at time of order then a further Pounds5k when 1 year away from delivery, at the time when we spec the car. That's slightly less than Porsche who don't take a deposit until the car is officially on their system but then they take a 10% deposit when the car is specced.

When I buy my BMWs I only put down between Pounds250-500 and then setttle the final amount at delivery, but agree that the more desirable the car then customers should need to put down a non-refundable deposit of sufficient size to dissuade them from merely speculating. Perhaps the size of deposit should be wealth based...?

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    i don't care too much any more, since i'll spec my F430 in grigio titanio even if avus would be possible.

Consider your colour rejection the following way: your kind F-dealer just assisted you in finding the right colour for you!

Quote:
    SteveD said:
    In the UK we put down a Pounds5k deposit at time of order then a further Pounds5k when 1 year away from delivery, at the time when we spec the car. That's slightly less than Porsche who don't take a deposit until the car is officially on their system but then they take a 10% deposit when the car is specced.

When I buy my BMWs I only put down between Pounds250-500 and then setttle the final amount at delivery, but agree that the more desirable the car then customers should need to put down a non-refundable deposit of sufficient size to dissuade them from merely speculating. Perhaps the size of deposit should be wealth based...?

They should make it non-refundable and 5-15% of the price of the car, dependant on how good a buyer are you and the car you want. But not be so dealer dependant: for instance if i can prove I owned several F-cars before my order but haven't bought them from only that dealer, i should be concidered dependable and be offered a smaller non-refund. deposit, and first time buyers get the same treatment on the list but pay a higher deposit.

Would it matter whether or not someone was a first time Ferrari buyer? Surely as long as they were used to owning cars of this value, then there is some likelihood that they will see the order through?

Most other industries pay a premium to gain conquest sales from other brands but it seems Ferrari dealers like to turn this logic on it's head. Strange.

I think there are two relevant issues to focus on in the ordering process;

- I understand why a dealer may wish to provide a high level of service to those customers that are of high net value to them, but perhaps this should extend only as far as communication and after care rather than providing a seperate sales order process

- clearly Ferrari dealers must be tired of all the speculators and wannabes that adore the brand but are unlikely to afford a new car, so they should try and qualify the buying behaviours of potential customers (particularly those that are new to them) and understand the likelihood of them becoming future 'valuable' customers.

This is the same process that most of us run in our own businesses, so I struggle to see why Ferrari dealers couldn't do likewise.

Steve,

Those Ferrari dealers we are talking about do this because since there is a waiting list and limited supply (though Ferrari will continue to increase supply as each model goes by an become less and less exclusive) they take advantage of that to earn more money and they sell the cars they get mainly to customers that will sell them back shortly to the same dealer so the dealer can sell that car back at a premium and make money twice or three times on the same car at the expense of inflating the second hand market price for prospective customers, and pushing out the decent sportcar enthusiasts who just want the car to drive it and not speculate with it. Just to get into the game you have to buy them at least one of their second hand cars for example, kiss his butt, and jump though the hoops, you buy the color they want for good resale, you have to keep it as garage queen with low miles so they can sell it well, etc. Pure greed and lack of principles by the dealer IMO.

You can tell these type of customers apart from the true enthusiasts because they trade their new garage queen Ferrari in every year to the dealer for a different model or the seme model but just newer year (maybe buy two and the second one gets sold by the dealer second hand for a high premium), after all since they are customer-specualtors and don't loose money in the trade since the second hand market for these new-used cars is artificially inflated. So the customer inside the game gets cars for free (and some are proud they can get a Ferrari this way ), the dealer monopolises the market forces repeated sales and inflates prices... but the true enthusiats like you and others on this board looses.

Thats why when a new customer walks into a dealership coming form Porsche or other sportcar brand, they treat them like trash since its not a "profitable customer" (or as nick calls it a "good customer") they are "not properly trained" in the game or may not be interested in it and if they get on the list they keep getting bumped down.

But I get the feeling this poseur-speculator customer will end up giving a bad image to Ferrari owners in general if they become the average customer if the dealers extend this practice and will hurt Ferrari on the long run since Ferrari is highly dependant on brand image for sales, more so than other sportcar companies. There are more and more true enthusiasts who would love to enjoy the driving experience of owning a Ferrari (lets not forget they are great sportcars to drive inpite the dealers) but won't own one because of the image Ferrari owners are getting, and if dealers even make it more difficult then they will be a smaller and smaller percentage of the typical owner...

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Steve,
    Those Ferrari dealers we are talking about do this because since there is a waiting list and limited supply (though Ferrari will continue to increase supply as each model goes by an become less and less exclusive) they take advantage of that to earn more money and they sell the cars they get to customers that will sell them back shortly to the same dealer so the dealer can sell that car back at a premium and make money twice or three times on the same car at the expense of inflating the second hand market price for prospective customers, and pushing out the decent sportcar enthusiasts who just want the car to drive it not speculate with it. Just to get into the game you have to buy them at least one of their second hand cars, kiss his butt forand jump though the hoops, you buy the color they want for good resale, you have to keep it as garage queen with low miles so they can sell it well, etc. You can tell these customers apart from the true enthusiasts becuase they trade their new garage queen Ferrari in every year for a differnt model or the seme model but newer year, after all since they are specualtors they don't loose money in the trade since the second hand market for these new-used cars is artificially inflated.
    Thats why when a new customer walks into a delaership coming form Porsche or other sportcar brand, they treat them like trash since its not a "profitable customer" (or as nick calls it a "good customer") and if they get on the list they keep getting bumped down.

Carlos our resident grammar faultfinder Brunner is going to slap your wrist.

To your point, I have no doubt some of what you write happens. But you and Steve need to understand that taking a head in the sand approach (excoriating Ferrari dealers) will not get you a new Ferrari. Steve, if you want one bad enough, go and sit down with your dealer and talk it out. Reach an agreement of some kind. Fighting the system is what losers do and inveriable they end up empty handed.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Carlos our resident grammar faultfinder Brunner is going to slap your wrist.

Oops, but engish is my third language, what your excuse? actually I understand the bad spelling/typo's we all tend to have, a combo of faster-than-you-can typing and no time for doulble checking

Quote:
    go and sit down with your dealer and talk it out. Reach an agreement of some kind. Fighting the system is what losers do

there you go Steve ...

Quote:
    nberry said: But you and Steve need to understand that taking a head in the sand approach (excoriating Ferrari dealers) will not get you a new Ferrari.

What do you mean? How is excoriating (denouncing) Ferrari dealers 'head in the sand'? If anything it seems like they're opposite terms. What did you mean to say?

I'm going to get all philosophical on you now, but 'life' is about 'how' you live it not how 'fast' you get there. If I come across a system where I need to compromise my values to suceed, then I generally don't. Neither do I suck-up to someone else for a favour. If I find an injustice I fight it, but if this proves fruitless then I move on.

My original reason for starting this thread was to find out from others what kind of process it is that Ferrari dealers operate. No I don't really want one 'bad enough' as you say, there are so many other things in life that are more rewarding that I'm not about to get hung-up on a car. With a bit of time, they will be readily available, just look at the market for 360s where there are now loads of them on dealer forecourts.

I will keep my order in, but if I see another available slot I will move my business elsewhere. Meanwhile I will continue to buy some of the best models Porsche and BMW produce and enjoy the customer experience.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803701 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448668 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266263 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90140 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6705 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885980 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833836 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM