Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Boxster GTS

Hi guys

I'm watching for a used 981 GTS, but when I look for the options that the original owner choose, I dont have a clue which ones I must privilege!

I have this alinegment
    - Must Have
    - If possible

Please feel free to send some inputs.

Cheers

Re: Boxster GTS

I always go for the full leather interior - really lifts the feeling of the inside to a higher quality.

Are you looking for options to take it in a more sporty direction? Or more relaxed?

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

pgouveia:

Hi guys

I'm watching for a used 981 GTS, but when I look for the options that the original owner choose, I dont have a clue which ones I must privilege!

I have this alinegment
    - Must Have
    - If possible

Cheers

I'm a fan of the PTV (or PTV+, if PDK) that includes mechanical limited slip differential (maybe GTS includes this?)

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

pgouveia:

Hi guys

I have this alinegment
    - Must Have
    - If possible

Cheers

Dreamcar has the one to choose ... Smiley ... as the GTS had a special GTS interior as an option, l would always look for a GTS with that option... usually, the GTS models are well equipped by the first owners...

d997h:
    pgouveia:

Hi guys

I have this alinegment
    - Must Have
    - If possible

Cheers

Dreamcar has the one to choose ... Smiley ... as the GTS had a special GTS interior as an option, l would always look for a GTS with that option... usually, the GTS models are well equipped by the first owners...

Hi - a definite fan of the GTS, I’ve kept  this car longer than any other, now five and a half years already. Amazing car, really love it, especially when compared with the quicker but much inferior, crude four cylinder car that replaced it. The sound is absolutely amazing, better and louder than the Boxster S with sports exhaust.. I would definitely choose the alcantara interior, here in the U.K., it also came with full leather door panels, and fascia with alcantara seat centres, lower part of the fascia like the glove box, and steering wheel, with GTS logo on the head restraints.. The full leather was a no cost option, but you lose what to me is the essential GTS character, and turns the interior to identical with a normal full leather Boxster S. Some say the GTS interior pack is essential, but a very expensive option at the time, the main differences being trim strips in carbon, and deviated stitching in either silver or red, and red or silver edged seat belts and red or grey rev counter face. Ours is the standard GTS interior with trim strips in external colour, in ours Carrara white metallic which lifts the otherwise dark interior. But all that is a matter of personal taste. There is a choice of standard active suspension or optional sports suspension which is firmer and drops the ride height by 10mm. We preferred the comfort of active suspension, which still has the option of a firmer sports setting. 20” wheels were standard. Sports plus seats were standard, with the option of 18 way adaptive sports seats which although comfortable I wish I we had gone for the 18 ways seats now. Torque vectoring (PTV) was an option which applies the brakes lightly on the side nearness a corner to sharpen up the handling and comes also with a limited slip differential to improve traction exiting a corner, which we have on ours. We went over the top perhaps with choosing the PCCB ceramic brake option, very expensive, but improves the ride slightly by less unsprung weight, and if looked  after ( meaning little track use) may last the lifetime of the car, no fade and incredibly powerful, but the standard brakes are also very good. Ours has done 30k km, discs have no measurable wear and pads 30% worn. Another advantage is the wheels stay really clean with no brake dust and they look so much better as they are bigger than the standard brakes and fill the wheels much better. A rare option to find used, due to the cost and to be honest not really needed. We had the Bose sound system fitted, but the engine sounds so wonderful we never use it!

Must haves ( for me)

GTS interior either standard or the optional GTS interior pack - I would avoid full leather but that’s a personal choice

Transmission we love PDK, many others prefer the interaction of the fine six speed manual again personal choice

autodim mirrors and rain sensing wipers 

Porsche Communications Management with navigation (optional

on the 981 GTS).

heated seats

two way climate control - much better than the standard manual air conditioning, saves constantly having to fiddle with the settings

if you do much night driving PDLS+ headlights

front and rear parking sensors

electric folding door mirrors

Nice to haves

18 way adaptive sports seats plus
    Cruise control 

reversing camera with front and rear parking sensors

Porsche torque vectoring with limited slip differential (if you can find one with it)
    Bose sound system if you like listening to music rather than the engine - standard sound system is rubbish.

Smoker package - we don’t smoke but a no cost option at the time gives a nice neat cover over the box at the rear of the centre console, rather than a cheap looking open box

Any other questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

--

Porsche Boxster 981 GTS Carrara white / VW Golf GTI 5dr DSG Tornado Red

pgouveia:

Hi guys

I have this alinegment
    - Must Have
    - If possible

Cheers

It's so nice to have another 981 enthusiast on RT! I agree with a lot of what DC said above. I prefer a "crisp" aesthetic in my cars, so I also have a "boring" spec: Rhodium silver with GTS exterior black package (gloss black on front intakes, side intakes and roll hoops), alcantara interior (agree with DC that full leather moves too far from the GTS concept), factory deleted GTS door badges and trunklid badge. I have the manual, PTV and analog (-20mm) sports suspension. I daily drove it for 33K miles and never had any problems with reliability. I'd spec it the same way again, but have had to repaint the front bumper a couple of times due to the low clearance. The suspension is great on smooth pavement and gives you a kart like feel on curvy roads, but bad pavement can be tiresome. There are good aftermarket analog suspenions out there, so if you prefer that but only find PASM cars available, it might not be too difficult to transition.

As for creature comforts, I would say two things are must haves: rain sensing wipers (the alternative of constantly adjusting the intermittent wipers in light, variable rain is too annoying) and any stereo but the base model. I don't know about UK/Euro specs, but in the US you had to purchase the CDR plus (or whatever it is called) or the Bose system to have bluetooth in 2015. I use my phone over bluetooth for navigation, music, etc. As DC said, the exhaust note is so good I never turn on the stereo...

@mcdelaug  : couldn’t agree more how welcome it is to have another 981 enthusiast here - in the old days there were many Boxster & Cayman enthusiasts here Smiley

--

dreamcar:

@mcdelaug  : couldn’t agree more how welcome it is to have another 981 enthusiast here - in the old days there were many Boxster & Cayman enthusiasts here Smiley

Some of us returned SmileySmiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

bluelines:
    dreamcar:

Some of us returned SmileySmiley

Smiley

Bluetooth connection was not standard and is also desirable.

xpto:

Bluetooth connection was not standard and is also desirable.

👍

--

Thanks a lot for all the inputs wink

After the decision to keep the 964C2 on the family for life, I decide to have a CAB for relaxed + driving experience.
    I'm 100% sure that the Boxster GTS is the one to go!

I'd like to have a model in carmin red, alcantara interior, PDK and 20" inch carrera S wheels and the 2 way AC....all the the other options are not a requesit!

Now I just need to keep both eyes on the used market indecision

@Dreamcar - out of interest, would you spec the same colour over the solid carrera white if you ordered the car again? Does the metallic not sometimes take a slightly yellow hue?

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, X3 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

@Dreamcar - out of interest, would you spec the same colour over the solid carrera white if you ordered the car again? Does the metallic not sometimes take a slightly yellow hue?

Definitely! the opposite of what you think, Carrara white metallic is a pure bright white, solid white is aN off white / cream shade - here is our  car alongside a solid white turbo S recently.  Not often get a chance to see both together but when we ordered our GTS we were able to see both at the dealers for comparison. 

Boxster GTS.jpg

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775026 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440488 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262129 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260359 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84859 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5446 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879522 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814383 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM