Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Vettel to leave Ferrari

Mattia Binotto, Managing Director Gestione Sportiva and Team Principal

"This is a decision taken jointly by ourselves and Sebastian, one which both parties feel is for the best. It was not an easy decision to reach, given Sebastian’s worth as a driver and as a person. There was no specific reason that led to this decision, apart from the common and amicable belief that the time had come to go our separate ways in order to reach our respective objectives.

Sebastian is already part of the Scuderia’s history, with his 14 Grands Prix wins making him the third most successful driver for the team, while he is also the one who has scored the most points with us. In our five years together, he has finished in the top three of the Drivers’ Championship three times, making a significant contribution to the team’s constant presence in the top three of the Constructors’ classification.

On behalf of everyone at Ferrari, I want to thank Sebastian for his great professionalism and the human qualities he has displayed over these five years, during which we shared so many great moments. We have not yet managed to win a world title together, which would be a fifth for him, but we believe that we can still get a lot out of this unusual 2020 season."

Sebastian Vettel #5

"My relationship with Scuderia Ferrari will finish at the end of 2020. In order to get the best possible results in this sport, it’s vital for all parties to work in perfect harmony. The team and I have realised that there is no longer a common desire to stay together beyond the end of this season. Financial matters have played no part in this joint decision. That’s not the way I think when it comes to making certain choices and it never will be.

What’s been happening in these past few months has led many of us to reflect on what are our real priorities in life. One needs to use one’s imagination and to adopt a new approach to a situation that has changed. I myself will take the time I need to reflect on what really matters when it comes to my future.

Scuderia Ferrari occupies a special place in Formula 1 and I hope it gets all the success it deserves. Finally, I want to thank the whole Ferrari family and above all its “tifosi” all around the world, for the support they have given me over the years. My immediate goal is to finish my long stint with Ferrari, in the hope of sharing some more beautiful moments together, to add to all those we have enjoyed so far."

Re: Vettel to leave Ferrari

Best for him and Ferrari. He cracked at crucial times, and is clearly past his best.

Yeah, could be - however, putting this sort of "discomfort" between the team and VET into a press release is a bit weird. 

Might be an attractive path for Riccirardo then..?

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

Would love to see DR in a Ferrari.

DR 31 yrs old v Carlos Sainz 25.

Ferrari have their long term driver. They can afford to gamble a little with the second seat. It might come down to who Ferrari management perceive will best accommodate Leclerc's ego and ambitions.

Guess Sainz will make it - Hamilton to McL  - Toto to AM in the next 2 years. 

BjoernB:

Guess Sainz will make it - Hamilton to McL  - Toto to AM in the next 2 years

...because he made an investment in AM ? ... 

And because Mercedes will quit F1...

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

I don't think Stroll & Toto would make a move without having it figured all out. there will be a exodus of key people moving to the new team - even if Mercedes stays with the new budget - they won it all -  chances are very slim it will stay like this.... - time for a new challenge.

crayphile:

Best for him and Ferrari. He cracked at crucial times, and is clearly past his best.

+1

Finally SV is out after being outdriven for the second time in his career by real racers (DR @Red Bull and CL @Ferrari) and not good #2 drivers (Mark Webber resp. Kimi).

My guess is that he‘ll be out of F1 as of end 2020 and nobody will really miss him Smiley

A line up CL and DR would be great but the best would be if LH would join (although I‘d expect him to follow Toto as of 2021 to AM)

I never had the feeling that Vettel is really "clicking" with Ferrari, can't help it. I think he is too German for them Smiley, Schumacher was a better combo. Vettel could be great for Mercedes but then, why would they want to replace Hamilton with him? Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

It's a good change for the team, but it won't make their cars any faster. yes

It is easy to knock Vettel, but let us remember that even the highly-rated Alonso competed for five seasons with the Scuderia Ferrari and departed with nothing, besides some P2s in the championship.

Therefore, it might be that the fault lies elsewhere.

During the Golden Years of the SF we had the triumvirate of a top driver in Schumacher a tactical mastermind in Brawn all under the leadership of Jean "Napoleon" Todt.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

It seems Ferrari wants Sainz as a Vettel replacement...decision has already been made. angry Announcement should happen this week.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

spudgun:

And because Mercedes will quit F1...

Mercedes is only a part owner of the team, Toto owns 30% of it. 

While he also owns a small percentage of Aston with the Stroll group, I really don't see how he will fold his own team and join Stroll. 

If Mercedes does quit F1, I see him trying to find another racing partner for his team more than folding it and go to Stroll. 

--

Good luck with that…

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

Vettel is about to sign a contract with McLaren-Mercedes. Sainz to Ferrari

In German:

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1-vettel-auf-weg-zu-mclaren-16846509.html

McLaren, new home for the washed up ex-F1 champs. First Alonso and now maybe Vettel.

New McLaren slogan: 

Team McLaren, retirement home for ex champions!!

--

Whoopsy:

McLaren, new home for the washed up ex-F1 champs. First Alonso and now maybe Vettel.

New McLaren slogan: 

Team McLaren, retirement home for ex champions!!

They are the Toronto Maple Leafs of F1 then I guess. Smiley

OMG you are killing me

--

Toto is the next Ecclestone. Don’t forget Claire Williams. 

Ricciardo was faster indecision

VET has made sooooooooooooooooooooome many mistakes the past two years, still it would be a pity if he had to quit F1 ... so, what about Alonso returning to F1, McL ? 

I would love to see Vettel with Hamilton driving for Mercedes... that would be interesting... Bottas needs to go... he did not deliver.... 

I think that would be great if those two guys would get each a two year contract... 

I don't think that VET will be happy driving next to HAM. He never wanted to be a number 2 driver. If he wanted to be number 2 he could have signed a one year contract with Ferrari.

Now that we have only one cockpit left at Renault the question is who will get this:

ALO returning back -> he has tied relations to Renault and this could be probably the best thing for Renault, he could improve the car. But he is 38 years old.

VET going to Renault -?? maybe he could do the same thing like ALO and even more - because he doesn't try to be the team leader like ALO is doing. I think that ALO would earn more racing points than VET.

--

AM

Just confirmed that Sainz will replace Vettel at Ferrari and that Ricciardo replaces Sainz at McLaren.

Was hoping that DR would end up in the Ferrari. However McLaren/Sainz did well in 2019 with a Renault engine. A Mercedes powered McL might be a surprise package in 2021 🤞

yes the problem of vettel is that he needs full support in order to perform... that was always his problem, he had also some issues with riccardio with red bull, but anyhow I think this would be a good idea to try to prove himself that he can go beyond his comfort zone. I think this pairing with hamilton would be the best in a long time.. and if he could beat hamilton,... not sure he can.. he would really set his mark. you got to beat the best in order to be the best... and as of today hamilton is the best... and what would be better than beat him in the same team???  

just an opinion

mclaren did really well in the past season... they are sure capable of making the jump... maybe not directly to the top, but to a close distance i belive.... i honestly was very surprised that mclaren lost total track of the front in the past years. I hope they can recover soon asn that we will have 4 teams fighting for the championship

So then, as of today, VET is out, retired, I assume ? Then, I guess it would be a smart move by Renault to get Hulkenberg back ? Cheaper than Alonso, though Alonso would be better for media coverage ... wow, season 2020 has had no chance to be started yet .. they could as well cancel it (though a lot of money would be lost) ... so, perhaps I will be looking for some bargains on VET scuderia shirts tonight... smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM