Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 24H Le Mans this week end

Assorted pictures from Le Mans, most are taken while doing the grid walk on Saturday, some are of the decoration of the Porsche Hospitality and the infamous room in Porsche Hotel.

IMG_9239.JPG
    IMG_9238.JPG
    IMG_9241.JPG
    IMG_9240.JPG
    IMG_9243.JPG
    IMG_9242.JPG
    1466502529918IMG_9119.JPG
    IMG_9115.JPG
    IMG_9231.JPG
    IMG_9230.JPG
    IMG_9233.JPG
    IMG_9232.JPG
    IMG_9235.JPG
    IMG_9234.JPG
    IMG_9237.JPG
    IMG_9236.JPG

--

Futch:

1466496908290image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1466496908298image.jpeg

Really amazing... Smiley Congratulations again and I understand that family atmosphere very well. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Futch:

Yes definitely, but it's already been "reserved" by another collector, we will see. Especially if we win the world championship.

This 458 is the last GT2 chassis number so for sure, it would be great to own and keep it. First thing I'd do is remove the restrictor and let it scream to 9000rpm (now it's 6800) and give it minimum weight. What a car it would be!!! Over 600hp compared to 460hp now, WTF!

The collection is moving quite a bit now, moving to bigger toys for track work, trackday cars have become too compromised for my tastes, the 991RS is gone, that car was such a disapointment, and the 675LT might even go, those buckets are great for trackwork but for the road, they're not very comfy and it's had a few problems which annoy me.

I bought a Renault RS01, proper racing car with a descent budget, should be amazing. Been reading RC's posts too and might switch the Cayenne for an RS6. I have to ditch the cars I'm not driving enough. I also bought a Mclaren F1 road car, the ultimate, the holy grail, needless to say, it's epic. Not perfect, but epic. 

Nice pics Porker, proper spirit of LM style!

Another F1!!! Smiley  What's the spec? How do you rate the differences between the GTR on the road?

Regarding 675LT, it remains highest on my list amongst the 'regular' supercars, the specs boggle the mind. And the looks appear to be working much better than previous modern McLarens.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Did you buy that blue/black one that was listed for sale recently? HDF kit added?

Spyderidol:
    noone1:
    Spyderidol:

If you listened to what Porsche were saying during the race you would know that because of the unfavorable BoP, the drivers were having to really push the cars and hitting the curbs so hard just to try and keep up. This proved too much for the cars.

BoP  often allows the cars that are favored , to race with a safety margin in their pockets. It is much easier on the cars.

So, Yes, it does have something to do with BoP.

Furthermore you miss the point of BoP.

BoP is supposed to bring all the cars into a "window of performance.". Obviously, this year that window was an extremely large bay window.

There is also a 7%  performance gap that is required (by the ACO) between the GTE and LMP2 class. The Fords were so favored that they managed to violate this gap during the race. Ferrari have issued a protest against Ford for this violation.

How do you put a 7% minimum gap restriction on a lower class car without putting a minimum restriction on a higher class car? Maybe the LMP2 car was slower than it should have been.

The difference in fastest lap between the Ford GT and the 488 was a mere .4s. How could the Ford violate the gap but not the Ferrari? 

Fastest time Ford# 69 = 3:51.5

Fastest time Ferrari # 82 = 3:52.3

Difference = 0.8

Also - The fastest 20 times in the class were set by the Fords.

Please try and understand that this is supposed to be a balanced class. You may disagree with that concept (I know I do), but that is what the rules state. What other manufacturers are upset about is that the class was not balanced appropriately. Ford played the sandbagging game and the ACO decided to look the other way, when its supposed role is not to do that.

Also - Listen to the Porsche press conference (I posted the link) and hear what Dr. Walliser has to say about BoP.

How do you expect to get a balanced race when all the cars are 100% different? The amount of 3rd party testing you'd need to do to ensure balance would be insane. There is not a single variable in a race that is consistent or predictable aside from the type of fuel.

The Ford that actually won had a fastest lap that was only .4s ahead and for a while Risi was even leading the race. For all we know, the fastest lap Ford just had the perfect set up of weather, drafting, traffic, and pushed a little harder.

The BoP is what it is. It has never, ever been fair because it's impossible to do and doesn't even make sense from a logical standpoint. There are one-make series for this.

If Ford had an advantage, so did Ferrari, because Ferrari was very competitive aside from breaking, and they were even leading the race for a while. AM, Porsche, and Corvette may have been a bit slow, but that's life. Every race favors someone.

BTW, check out the gaps in lap times for Spa and Silverstone. Shorter laps than LM too.

Spa:

Ferrari fastest lap: 2'18.485
    AM fastest lap: 2'19.970
    Porsche fastest laps: 2'20.461

Silverstone:

Ferrari fastest lap: 1'58.885
    AM fastest lap: 2'00.535    
    Porsche fastest lap: 2'01.005

Terrific, informative thread. I feel like I'm learning insider information, thanks.  One question – someone mentioned that they think the 919 habit concept is now out of date. Is this really true? What do you think Porsche will do to remain competitive this season and where do you think it will go next season? 

@ none 1 I'm not sure we are communicating:

What I have written is that BoP is supposed to place the cars in the same class within a performance window (That is the balance). Having 3.5 seconds  between the fastest cars and the slowest is not what is considered to be appropriate BoP. It is precisely because the cars are so different that BoP is essential (if you want that type of GTE model) so that you can attempt to even out the playing field to a degree that the cars can compete.

Having one car from the a class drive past another from the same class on the straight as if the slower car is standing still , is not appropriate BoP.

BoP is not made on an individual level. In other words, if one Ford gets a BoP, then all Fords get the same BoP.

Noone1, I am with Sypderidol on this. And gap of 2 sec a lap is a killer in the world of motorsports.

So why do you ignore a 2s gap in performance at Spa and Silverstone that Ferrari has over AM and Porsche?

All this bitching about Ford's advantage whereas Ferrari has the same advantage in the previous two races.

Wonderbar:

Terrific, informative thread. I feel like I'm learning insider information, thanks.  One question – someone mentioned that they think the 919 habit concept is now out of date. Is this really true? What do you think Porsche will do to remain competitive this season and where do you think it will go next season? 

I'm not sure who you are asking, but it was me that said the 919 concept is reaching the end.

Please note that when I say the concept is coming to the end, I don't mean "The Hybrid" concept. That will stay and hybrid power will be increased to 10MJ in 2018.

There will be new rules in 2018, so the cars will have  slightly different seating positions and  3 energy recovery systems .

noone1:

So why do you ignore a 2s gap in performance at Spa and Silverstone that Ferrari has over AM and Porsche?

All this bitching about Ford's advantage whereas Ferrari has the same advantage in the previous two races.

Because neither Spa nor Silverstone had factory Porsche's, and it is very clear that "private" entry cars are no match for factory entered cars.

BTW - I don't think Porsche (private or factory entry) has had a correct BoP all season long. I don't bitch because quite frankly GTE has lsot a lot of its interest for me....precisely because of the BoP BS.

Are the RSRs the enter not the same cars?

It sounds like the entire series of nonsense because there is nothing consistent about it. In that case, that's life. Ford wins inconsistent and pointless racing series. Oh well.

Political answer: Yes

Actual answer: Yes, but....

Also - Teams are not the same.

Porker:
    Futch:

Yes definitely, but it's already been "reserved" by another collector, we will see. Especially if we win the world championship.

This 458 is the last GT2 chassis number so for sure, it would be great to own and keep it. First thing I'd do is remove the restrictor and let it scream to 9000rpm (now it's 6800) and give it minimum weight. What a car it would be!!! Over 600hp compared to 460hp now, WTF!

The collection is moving quite a bit now, moving to bigger toys for track work, trackday cars have become too compromised for my tastes, the 991RS is gone, that car was such a disapointment, and the 675LT might even go, those buckets are great for trackwork but for the road, they're not very comfy and it's had a few problems which annoy me.

I bought a Renault RS01, proper racing car with a descent budget, should be amazing. Been reading RC's posts too and might switch the Cayenne for an RS6. I have to ditch the cars I'm not driving enough. I also bought a Mclaren F1 road car, the ultimate, the holy grail, needless to say, it's epic. Not perfect, but epic. 

Another F1!!! Smiley  What's the spec? How do you rate the differences between the GTR on the road?

Regarding 675LT, it remains highest on my list amongst the 'regular' supercars, the specs boggle the mind. And the looks appear to be working much better than previous modern McLarens.

It's a triple black car, a bit too black if you ask me, I'm gonna paint the wheels titanium. Very interesting question and you'd be amazed by how close the original 95 GTR is to the road car. The brakes are very shit and I may upgrade them. Bad pic taken at Silverstone where I couldn't complete more than two laps because I had a heat exchanger failure, car had only 2800 miles when I bought it and it was always gonna have some issues. Mclaren told me no one had ever really driven the car like that before, which is obviously about to change now.

The power is fantastic, even by today's standards, and seating in the middle with two friends behind is just unique and so cool. The packaging is the stuff of genius. Steering is very nice but a bit too heavy especially with the small steering wheel (the GTR has a bigger wheel) so it's difficult to control snap oversteer, and I find the steering too sensitive at high speed. The car is stable but doesn't inspire confidence. But overall it feels amazing to drive, very light too.

The car I can compare it to directly is the F50, same era, the Ferrari V12 is better in my opinion, sounds better and revs higher, brakes are much better too, the F1 is more agile but overall I prefer my F50. But the F1 has that uniqueness and exclusivity that even the F50 can't match. Sorry for the OT.

1466514681213image.jpeg

Spyder, another example where you explain things in a simple way. Thanks. 

In addition there will be teams, and here I am thinking Ford who, if they can win Le Mans, the rest really does not matter. Imagine the marketing value in this victory. They will literally use it for the coming 50 years and hence the sandbagging at earlier races this year. 

tso:

Spyder, another example where you explain things in a simple way. Thanks. 

In addition there will be teams, and here I am thinking Ford who, if they can win Le Mans, the rest really does not matter. Imagine the marketing value in this victory. They will literally use it for the coming 50 years and hence the sandbagging at earlier races this year. 

Thank you for your kind words.

I sorry that this is so complicated. It doesn't need to be, and I'm always advocating for less and more simple rules. Unfortunately I'm nobody. Just a passionate fan and Porsche lover.

RC:
    tso:

I forgot one thing....CONGRATULATIONS to Futch on the 2nd spot.

wink

Our man... Smiley Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

Futch:
    Porker:
    Futch:

It's a triple black car, a bit too black if you ask me, I'm gonna paint the wheels titanium. Very interesting question and you'd be amazed by how close the original 95 GTR is to the road car. The brakes are very shit and I may upgrade them. Bad pic taken at Silverstone where I couldn't complete more than two laps because I had a heat exchanger failure, car had only 2800 miles when I bought it and it was always gonna have some issues. Mclaren told me no one had ever really driven the car like that before, which is obviously about to change now.

The power is fantastic, even by today's standards, and seating in the middle with two friends behind is just unique and so cool. The packaging is the stuff of genius. Steering is very nice but a bit too heavy especially with the small steering wheel (the GTR has a bigger wheel) so it's difficult to control snap oversteer, and I find the steering too sensitive at high speed. The car is stable but doesn't inspire confidence. But overall it feels amazing to drive, very light too.

The car I can compare it to directly is the F50, same era, the Ferrari V12 is better in my opinion, sounds better and revs higher, brakes are much better too, the F1 is more agile but overall I prefer my F50. But the F1 has that uniqueness and exclusivity that even the F50 can't match. Sorry for the OT.

1466514681213image.jpeg

That's proper stuff of dreams mate... Nothing compares to that car, to think how much performance it packs in such a tiny package . I actually think it looks good in his stealth jacket, makes it look a bit more modern. 

You read a lot of complaints on the F1 brakes, is it possible to fit the GTR's brakes to the streetcar? I'd think they are plenty sufficient...

Appreciate these real life comparisons! Smiley

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Yes it's an upgrade I might do, but I think it's a big job, because you need new wheels. We'll see. Depends how I want to drive the car too. I mean, they're not that bad, they're just not worthy of the rest of the package, especially on the track, and it's not so much because of the technology at the time, like I wrote, the brakes of the F40 and F50 are better, go figure.

Car need a major service anyways, so we'll see afterwards.

This is why reliability is so important.

Car number 2 spent a total of 38 minutes and five seconds in the pits for refuelling and tyre changes. Because of a water pump change and repairs for the subsequent damage, car number 1 was in the pits for a total of two hours, 59 minutes and 14 seconds.

The car spent over 20 minutes more in the pit due to repairs and such. Even a small repair can cost you an entire race if you look at the spreads.

And that's why Porsche won it fair and square over the Toyota. Toyota was reliable for only 23hr and 55mins. 5 mins short.

--

Futch, congrats on your fantastic result!  Also, do you still plan to collect the F12 tdf?

Whoopsy:

And that's why Porsche won it fair and square over the Toyota. Toyota was reliable for only 23hr and 55mins. 5 mins short.

+1

Ziggy:

Futch, congrats on your fantastic result!  Also, do you still plan to collect the F12 tdf?

Yes, in September.

Francois,congrats again!to make what you make a person must have "balls".kiss

coming back to LMP1,this is my idea about the stop of the Number 6 of Toyota.The Toyota 5 And the Porsche Number 2 make a splash and go at around 30 minutes from the end of the race,the 6 not....

sure if the 6 stop to splash the 2 would win the race,was faster And back only of a few seconds.

my idea is that the 6 was without fuel at the end of the race,they try to finish becouse they have no other solution...to try to win.

i'm wrong?

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Woah, what a weekend it was! Spotted Futch in the driver's parade but was too far back to grab his attention this time. My heart missed a beat when I saw you going into the gravel, and jumped for joy when I saw you crawling out of it! Seeing the Toyota lose speed in the last round was spine-tingling, as I knew the Porsche was not far behind... all in all a fantastic race week again! Congratulations Futch, awesome performance, truly the stuff of dreams! 

Here some of my impressions of this week, sorry for the crappy phone quality!

Installing the roof on one of our rides... the weather was terrible on the way down to Le Mans!
    IMG_20160615_142931a_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

Our base camp. Due to the bad weather forecast, we installed an extra tent over our tents... worked well! :-)
    IMG_20160615_181042_1920x1440_signed.jpg

Taking the obligatory selfie with a 919 mock up in front of the Porsche stand at Le Village and picking up some Porsche banners as well of course!
    IMG_20160616_002201_1920x1435_Signed.jpg

The 919's ready for evaluation on the Thursday night:
    IMG_20160616_002618_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

McLaren racecar for one of the support races during the week:
    IMG_20160616_141037_1920x1280_Signed.jpg

Some serious weaponry parked by the track... for a moment I thought I had ran into Crayphile, but this turned out to be someone else's SV... whát an impressive car and whát a road presence! I really loved it!
    IMG_20160616_162658_1920x1280_Signed.jpg

IMG_20160616_162744_1920x1280_Signed.jpg

Birds of every feather attend Le Mans, such as this wonderful, wonderful DB5... couldn't believe my eyes!
    IMG_20160616_162802_1920x1280_Signed.jpg

Typical Le Mans campsite view:
    IMG_20160616_204917_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

On the Friday, the teams get the time to prepare for the race. It is often referred to as "Mad Friday". We drove around the vicinity of the track, visiting parts where the road meets the track, etc. You'll often find wondeful cars everywhere the are, such as this nice group:
    1466550259127IMG_20160617_132032_1920x1280_Signed.jpg

... and this beauty:
    1466550087915IMG_20160617_132739_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

In Mulsanne corner, a sort of exposition of American sportscars was put up, including these wonderful GT40s:
    IMG_20160617_135527_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

Also on Mad Friday is the driver's parade in the city of Le Mans. Along the route, crowds fill the streets to cheer their favorite teams, try to get autographs, flirt with the models and see nice cars. To honor the return of Ford, these beauties took part in the parade:
    IMG_20160617_181529_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

And of course the Chiron as well:
    IMG_20160617_190042_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

After the parade, the town turns into one big party, where it is really fun to go pub-hopping, and meet fellow race fans. What is striking is that the local population loves it as well (despite their city being invaded by hordes of drunk dirty and loud beer bellies). In the metro back, I spotted these gems... again, typical Le Mans style.
    IMG_20160618_021053_1920x1280_Signed.jpg

So after all these shannanigans, it's finally time for the race! Sadly, race control decided that due to the expected rainfall, the race was to start behind a pacecar... can you believe it?!? They drove for almost a full hour behind the pace car, with the drivers complaining as well.... Anyway ,it made for a god photo opportunity!
    IMG_20160618_152512_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

Getting installed to watch a couple of hours of racing...
    IMG_20160618_165239_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

Some more campsite beauty:
    IMG_20160618_200808_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

Part of our Le Mans tradition is the Tertre Rouge Bar. It is the worst shithole of a bar, but always good for a laugh. Some pretty cars around there as well...
    IMG_20160618_202634_1920x1280_Signed.jpg

Probably my favorite "normal" car of all times...
    IMG_20160618_220255_1920x1280_Signed.jpg

Why anyone would bring a dog to a racetrack is beyond me, the sound is so loud... bordering animal cruelty if you ask me! Also, people bring babies and really young children to the track, sometimes even without hearing protection.... mail
    IMG_20160618_211309_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

As the night falls, the athmosphere around the track turns magical... especially around sunset, it is amazing!
    IMG_20160618_222141_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

The night is also a great time to wander around the track, see the ferriswheel, etc. We always want to go to the Mulsanne corner, but never seem to get around to do it... :-/
    IMG_20160619_002701_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

IMG_20160619_003105_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

IMG_20160619_015917_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

A victim of the night...
    IMG_20160619_113212_1920x1280_Signed.jpg

Towards the end of the race, the athmosphere becomes electric... For a long time, the #2 Porsche was so close to overtaking the Toyota, but never closed the gap... the last couple of rounds, the gap actually got a bit bigger, and in your mind you know Porsche is not going to win this year... big bummer... but in the end, it still is motorsports, so you can never predict what happens... It is hard to describe what I felt when I saw the Toyota got stuck next to the pitboxes... I literally had goosebumps on my arms!

Fords during the vicory lap
    IMG_20160619_150458_1920x1280_Signed.jpg

The last night, we had dinner in the town of Le Mans and visited the monument for the winners. Here the plaque of last year's winners:
    IMG_20160619_224956_1920x1878_Signed.jpg

Then it was time for another tradition: bonfire with beer and the ritual burning of the camping tickets
    IMG_20160620_013835_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

IMG_20160620_014550_1920x1440_Signed.jpg

The way back s always an adventure as well, especially if you drive via Calais. Along the road you occasionally bump into groups who attended Le Mans as well, often with cool cars. One last picture of an encounter with a beautiful UK 991 GTS.
    Farewell Le Mans, see you again next year!
    IMG_20160620_092906_1920x1280_Signed.jpg

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

1466570101635image.jpegHere is a shot of the 2 GT3-RS from the other side :)

--

Congratulations indeed !!!
    --
    Happy Driving

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    690973 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410120 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256179 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235398 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65742 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858782 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775090 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM